Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

I just upgraded to an SSD and I'd like to 1. rant about how loving lovely Win7 is about moving the Users directory to another drive, and 2. request you put instructions for accomplishing this in the OP.

It's mostly my fault, but I can't believe how loving long it took me to set up my computer correctly. First of all, I have a lot of old lovely drives, and I can't quite afford to get rid of them. The moment prices drop after the Thai floods subside, I'll be all over it.

I followed this guide: http://windows7easy.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/relocate-user-folders-during-windows-7-installation/

The guide was great, besides the fact it's saved in PDF format. The first attempt, I accidentally picked the wrong drive to put the user profile on. gently caress.

Second attempt I got the XML SysPrep file correct ... but I didn't realise all my drive letter assignations would reset. gently caress gently caress.

Third time I got those two parts right and it finally worked, but holy gently caress it's taken hours.

Yeah I made mistakes, but no user should have to write and load a customised XML file to accomplish this task correctly. I can't believe Microsoft wouldn't take any steps to make this easier for non-nerds. Maybe SSDs weren't common at Win7's launch, but 10K RPM SATA drives were. Same loving problem.

There's an easier way. Do your install as normal, let it put the Users folder where it wants. Then boot into recovery mode from the install CD, go to the command prompt, move the Users directory wherever you want it and create a hardlink in the default location that points to where you put it. This is easy and more or less foolproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread