Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just go a Intel 320 120GB for Christmas and it's all set up and running. What's a good size for my pagefile? I have 12GB of RAM, so of course it's holding on to 12GB for the pagefile which is an awful lot on my little SSD meant for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

From the OP:
Do not disable the page file or move it to a hard disk drive, just set it to a smaller, fixed amount if necessary, such as half of your system RAM

Set it to something like 2GB. More if you're using your computer to render Jurassic Park.

poo poo. Sorry, I must have missed that in the OP. I'll set it to 2GB and up it if I run in to problems.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

I just ordered an Intel 320 (Boxing Day sale on newegg.ca) and I can't wait for that bad boy to arrive. I was worried about having to reinstall my OS, but after paging through the thread it looks like that won't be much of a concern.

I just cloned my old Intel X25-V 40G to my new 320 120G using the included free version of Acronis and it missed my master boot record. I spent an hour dicking around with it before I had to use my Windows 7 disk to repair the install, and now I have a 100MB "System Reserved" partition I can't get rid of. So a word of warning, have your Win7 disk hanging around just in case. Otherwise it was pretty painless.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have a 120GB Intel 320 that only has room for Win 7 and maybe a couple of games. My Steam library almost wholly resides on my Samsung 1TB Spintpoint F1. I'd like to get a dedicated SSD just for games and apps and keep the 320 for my OS. If I spring for the largest 840 EVO I can afford (at least a 500GB model) are there performance and/or reliability issues I'd be exposing myself to by virtue of owning a large capacity drive? Is the technology mature enough that the > 500GB drives are just as reliable as the smaller ones?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Cool, thanks!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is the Extreme II no longer on flash sale on Amazon? It's not showing up on the front page under the Cyber Monday sales, though the 840 1TB is listed as an upcoming sale.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Kild posted:

It ended unfortunately

I jumped on the 1TB EVO for $490, so it's all good.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

Though, it sort of sounds like from you're description that you're thinking of getting two SSDs, this wouldn't be a very good idea, use a single larger SSD for everything.

Could you elaborate on this? I have an Intel 320 120GB that I was planning on using strictly as a boot drive and putting all my apps on the 1TB EVO that's currently en route, you are saying it's best to just replace the 320 with the EVO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

Yes, there's no good reason to not accept the huge performance improvement from the Samsung 840 Evo.

Holy gently caress balls. I did not realize it was such an extreme gap in performance between the two. This is an easy decision.

• Locked thread