Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ruffz posted:

Quick question, I'm trying to decide between the Crucial M4 256GB and the Samsung 830 256GB. I notice there's a price difference of about $50 between the two. I'm primarily interested in getting an SSD that'll load game levels fastest.

I own both and can't tell a difference between them in practical usage, get whatever is cheapest. In Canada the M4 256GB is on some sort of price promotion at a bunch of places, you might want to shop around if you're in the US and see if you can find a similar deal. I got mine for $309 while the 830 cost me nearly $90 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I used to have to deal with hardware vendors OCZ was consistently was the worst in terms of RMAs and returns. They had the highest return rate on PSUs, easily two to three times higher than even the no-name Chinese crap we had to sell to turn a profit. I eventually stopped stocking them and one of their regional guys threw a tantrum with my suppliers. They were only just getting into the first gen Sandforce stuff when I sold the business but if its anything like their other product lines then expect the worst.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lblitzer posted:

So then what's the scoop now? They seem to be playing a more fair game by admitting about the whole Idinilix thing. Are there still reliability issues with their latest generations or is that still up in the air at this point?

I mean really some people haven't had a single problem, myself included with my old Vertex 2. Made it a year and 3 Windows installs just fine. I'm still a little uneasy owning a Vertex 4 with their reputation but I'm just going to hold out until I find a single problem to exchange it for an M4 or Samsung drive.

Basically I should have just waited to find another good deal like last week's M4 but me being frugal some days and impulsive another lead me to this silly state.

It's not just product quality or design issues. It's how they handled everything and this has been a problem of theirs for a long time now (voltage issues with their ram, their lovely PSUs dying early deaths, the NAND scandal, etc). So yeah people dismiss them outright now because there are simply equivalent or better products to buy without those problems from more reputable companies.

Obviously spend your money however you want but there's a reason people get some scorn heaped on them when they mention buying OCZ products in a thread with a title like this one :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

modig posted:

Has anybody used Paragon for moving a windows install to an SSD? Is there a better option that doesn't involve doing offsets myself? Is there some reason this is a horrible idea?

It's a great little program, I actually prefer it to Clonezilla just because its so fast and I don't need to tinker with it. I got my copy for free but for $20 it's not unreasonable.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

000f is the last guaranteed trouble free firmware version for the M4. 010g took about 12 hours before it poo poo the bed on my XPS15. :words:

I thought 0309 was fine too and 000f was just minor updates but I don't have the changelog handy.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

I'd upgrade, but its not a big deal unless you're worried about losing data if you lose power.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll just stick with 0309 until they sort out 010G since I'm running a UPS and 000F seems to make my drive take longer to wake up from S3 sleep.

quote:

Seriously just update to the latest recommended version. It's not rocket science.

In case you hadn't noticed that's the origin of the problem, hence downgrading from one revision to another.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 1, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you have an Asus board with a Marvell controller you might have to disable it in the bios. Sometimes the M4 Firmware updater just gets stuck on Finding Drives if you don't, they fixed that in 010G but 000F still has the issue.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

Crucial have lost an insane amount of goodwill now, holy poo poo. How did they manage to pound a decent reputation into the dirt? Be great if someone from Crucial would post.

Their inability to simply ship a firmware revision without introducing bugs they already fixed in prior releases is honestly baffling. They also break/fix the updater every time, sometimes it detects my drive without needing to disable all non-Intel controllers and sometimes it doesn't feel like it. If the drive wasn't so otherwise solid I would have ditched it long ago.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Martello posted:

So...do we install it or what? Looks like UEFI BIOS issues are not fixed.

It worked fine on three separate UEFI machines last night, I did all of my machines. So far no problems.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you got the thing for free then give it a shot I guess, just make sure you have backups.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

diehlr posted:

It's amazing that in such a short period of time, the Crucial M4 went from the bandwagon go-to value / reliability darling to an apparently bug-ridden mess.

I don't know, 040H resolved the only issue I had with one drive and I have 3 in other machines going just fine, 2 of which are over the 5000 hour thing. No hung boots or etc.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

IMO the M4 is a fine drive barring some really minor issues with firmwares. I've lived through the show-stopping bugs with OCZ and so forth and frankly Crucial is a good company the M4 is a good drive with good nand.

I tend to agree. I wasn't happy with the firmware fuckups but they seem to be sorted out now. I'm not sure we still need a sticky and a thread title warning. The Crucial thing wasn't even on the same level as the poo poo OCZ was pulling.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

Crucial announces M500

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6614/microncrucial-announces-m500-ssd-line-of-ssds

- fast on paper
- 20nm MLC nand
- increase of overprovisioning from 7 to 14.5%
- 7.5mm height.

Sounds interesting, 72TB of writes is more than enough for my needs as well. I strongly disagree with "gently caress Crucial" stuff and think the M4 has been a fairly reliable drive overall so I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully we'll see some independent benchmarks soon. I was wondering what the hell they were thinking with the V4, hopefully it's just a bottom barrel market experiment that is soon forgotten.

If the price per gigabyte keeps going down as expected then I'll be grabbing a 512GB model.

quote:

Is it just me or did the Samsung 840 series send a shockwave through the SSD market that froze or even reversed the falling prices? Remember $70 830 120GBs?

I don't know, I was seeing pretty crazy prices on 120GB drives all throughout Christmas and boxing week.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Boy I wish I could justify $350 on a hard drive. That is a great deal.

My old SSD is dying and I figure this will last 5 years. Its definitely a want and not a need though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen a Crucial firmware issue in quite some time so I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't even put them in the same category as the old OCZ stuff. They're a bit lower in performance than competing models but they're often priced well under them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tigren posted:

I know the OP says the Crucial M500 has issues, but Amazon has the 240GB for $87.99 with an Amazon Visa. Is it a good drive at that price?

Yep it's fine, no major firmware issues in awhile. Performance is pretty average but most people won't notice a difference between it and a much more expensive drive. It's pretty rare to see something like an EVO marked down that far.

• Locked thread