Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Phuzun posted:

As has been said, people are more likely to talk about their bad experiences. I have 3 OCZ Agility (first gen) drives in Raid 0 that are still working fine for over 2 years. Also have the first gen Intel 80GB in a laptop that was abused with all constant VM installs and deletes over those 2 years. Yet I've had a 1TB and 1.5TB drive each fail on me in roughly a year, both of these drives were data drives that never experienced heavy or prolonged read/writes. Quality obviously varies and it is luck of the draw with any electronics.

The main reason not to buy OCZ is to protest against industry practices like shipping drives with different NAND configurations using the same product code, name and likeness. I like to think that lots of principled people not giving OCZ money is a good way of keeping them honest. Its not a healthy business attitude to have for a company with aspirations of becoming an industry leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

grumperfish posted:

Keep in mind that they also basically got laughed out of the DRAM market. They claim they pulled out to focus on SSD's, but their 2.2V DDR2 modules basically all exploded so it was probably more to get out of honoring warranties and returns.

It's a shame that they bought out PC Power and Cooling. The pre-OCZ Silencer in my fileserver works great, but I wouldn't consider buying one now. Hopefully their purchase of Indilinx pays off, but given their track record I kinda doubt it.

They may have released some un-certified no name poo poo box PSUs in the past but the stuff they are putting out now like the Z series is decent enough. Then again, who knows what direction the wind blows with OCZ when their name rides on the OEMs they partner up with?

As much as I loathe OCZ I admit they are a sales and marketing wunderkind. They have this knack of jumping on board at just the right moment to steal market share like buccaneers on the high seas of computer technology. They slap all the right stickers on the products of their OEM partners and give them edgy names like Vertex and Agility, which shouldn't impress you but secretly it makes you go "oooohh" against your better judgement. They are masters of this poo poo and like all successful privateer marketeers, they are utterly ruthless and have no qualms about sac'ing OEMs that made their name and replacing them with low cost alternatives whilst ramping up the sales rhetoric to squeeze the $$$.

As much as Intel has a reputation for reliability, the 320 product launch was a bit of a wet fart and they had a firmware recall back in July of this year. So their gen3 stuff is bit like the SSD version of netburst where they have allowed much smaller companies to beat them in the short term. But hey, its Intel and you can never count them out. After getting a bloody nose from AMD over Socket 939/Athlon 64, they came back to mercilessly pummel AMD year on year since Conroe. They are still punching AMD in the nuts, for the hell of it at this point.

Most of the really important SSD companies right now are ones that small fish like you and me have never heard of (i.e. Fusion-IO). OCZ have still managed to swashbuckle themselves a niche on the consumer level purely on the strength of their marketing. Its amazing really given their history in this market segment.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Weinertron posted:

Can someone really quickly summarize for me what the heck "Toggle NAND" is?

Its basically really expensive, really fast NAND from Toshiba.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Jabor posted:

SSDs are a ton slower than RAM. If you have enough RAM, the only benefit you'll see from using an SSD over a mechanical drive is in loading times.

The only games where you'll notice a difference in-level is if the game constantly loads stuff in the background while you're playing. Typically this is just MMORPGs and open-world games (e.g. Skyrim). For anything else, once you've actually loaded in, all the data is in memory and your disk drive is doing jack squat.

I used to track writes and noticed that no matter what, I would constantly observe writes to my primary storage disk pretty much every second of every hour of every day. The bulk of those writes are to ntfs files like $logfile, $mft, $volume etc. Alot of it is stuff that is buried so deep within the bowels of Windows that you never see it or need to understand how it works.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

j3rkstore posted:

Well... I feel better now.

These things finally died on me the other day. I've got a 120gb Intel 330 on the way as a replacement :3:

Insert joke about OCZ pioneering the self destructing SSD before Runcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
If you have having problems booting from an SSD, do you have a recent Intel motherboard? UEFI is almost ubiquitous now and I had serious problems UEFI booting Windows 8 on a Vertex 2. It works fine on a Samsung 840 pro however. Theres nothing wrong with the Vertex 2 and its back in my 3 year old PC where its working fine.

On my new build I can see the Vertex 2 in UEFI but it won't boot and the drive is not detected by Disk Management/Device Manager.

• Locked thread