Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Out of desperation, I'm going to crosspost this from the W8 thread. :(

quote:

Well, I'm in trouble here...

I have W8 installed on a HDD in my Lenovo. I had my 256GB W7 SSD, with all of my files, in the ultrabay as a second hard drive.

I tried opening a PDF off of that SSD, and the machine froze up, hard.

I held down the power key to reboot, and when it came back, the SSD wasn't able to open in W8. I shut it down, took out the HDD, and tried booting from the SSD. I got a BSOD saying there was some error and startup was shut down to prevent damage to my computer!

I ran chkdsk on it and it seemed okay, but it still won't boot, giving me some sort of blue screen. Windows tried to repair errors for a while, but I guess it didn't work. When I boot, things look okay for the most part, I even get the "Starting Windows" logo and everything. I get a little further going into Safe Mode, where I can see a mouse cursor, but nothing else loads.

I'm back on the W8 drive, and it still can't do anything with the SSD. It sees it as "New Volume" and NTFS, but W8 says it's 0 bytes and it can't do error checking, saying it can't access the disk.

I'm running EASUS Data Recovery Wizard right now, and it seems like it can find all the files (it's counting them as we speak), so I'm not sure if that's a good sign or what. I am pretty upset. Should I take this to the SSD thread? My latest backup was 3 or 4 months ago, so I'd definitely be losing stuff.

EDIT: Well, it looks like EASEUS Data Recovery will do the trick. I let it run all day, and it's currently moving everything over to an external drive. Knock on wood, fingers crossed.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this...

I just got a new laptop and it came with a 256gb SSD. I replaced it right away with a Samsung 850 512gb. I was hoping to clone my GF's 128gb SSD to the 256gb, giving her the larger drive with double the capacity.

I did that, but the computer doesn't seem to want to boot from the drive. It sees that it's there, but it says something like "Invalid media. Reconnect cable." Is this something to do with it being a Windows 8 drive, and I cloned Windows 7 to it? Should I completely format the drive first?

It's a Dell drive going into a Lenovo, if it helps.

Edit: Maybe this will work:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 13, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Alereon posted:

Good suggestion, thanks! Now that I have a Samsung SSD and can poke at the Magician, I think that would be enable all the features it disabled (ensure everything on advanced tab says "Deactivate"), set Pagefile to Windows defaults, set Power Plan to Balanced, and re-enabled System Restore. Can you think of any other changes that are needed?

I wasn't aware of this stuff. I just installed an 850 Pro into my new laptop. It doesn't seem like Magician made any changes, at least from looking at the panel you're talking about. Any guides out there to optimizing the Samsung for Windows 8.1 or common knowledge adjustments I should make?

• Locked thread