Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I've got a P5Q SE/R with an M4 in SATA port 1. I've got the intel chipset drivers installed and SATA configured as AHCI in the BIOS and the PC runs Windows 7 x64. The device manager shows the ICH10 chipset driver and connected to that is "ATA Channel 0", and connected to that is the M4.

Properties on the "ATA Channel 0" has a description of "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller", and the Advanced Settings tab says the drive is in PIO mode 4 and has an (unchecked) box to enable DMA.

Is that correct for an AHCI drive? I would think I wouldn't see "IDE ATA/ATAPI" if it's AHCI, not to mention PIO mode 4/DMA disabled?

Edit: Is it better to configure the controller in "RAID" mode instead of "AHCI" or "IDE"? Should I install the Intel Matrix storage drivers if I'm not going to RAID anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

movax posted:

You want AHCI mode. AHCI mode should not have ATA Channels; are you sure you aren't accidentally looking at the IDE controller? (I think that board has one). All of my machines are in RAID mode at the moment, but I believe the AHCI hierarchy is similar. Intel <Model> SATA AHCI/RAID Controller->each individual drive

I'm sure it's AHCI in the BIOS. I checked again.

I plugged an old OCZ Vertex into the second SATA port and it came up similar, but in Ultra DMA mode with the DMA box checked. I can't check the box on the M4's channel, though, it always resets to unchecked.

I ran CDM and it looks like the M4 is performing as expected. 275 mb/s sequential read, and faster than the (older, slower) Vertex drive using UDMA. So... maybe it's normal? I could try installing the Matrix drivers, but I don't know if that would even work without the controller in RAID mode.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I didn't see a huge difference between my new M4 and old Vertex. The M4 was definitely faster but not even 2x if I recall. Both are on SATA 3 ports though. :(

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
There's also no guarantee what they sell a big client is the same as what consumers get. They might send their better product to clients who pay more and let consumers deal with worse QC and more RMAs.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
After upgrading to a better SSD I tried to use my old original Agility as a data drive. Under AHCI mode or Windows 7 or the full moon or some other poo poo that changed the drive started to throw write errors and eventually disconnect itself. I figured I should update the firmware before I throw it in the garbage disposal and the process of doing that required 4 different updates in sequence, including one special one because my drive didn't work with the standard update tool (all of which I had to download from their forums because their website only has the latest), a second windows install, and like 15 reboots. Also it required I wipe the drive first.

I'm not sure how I got by this long with this drive, maybe it behaves better under IDE/WinXP but I'm pretty sure I'm never buying anything from OCZ again.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Bob Morales posted:

Is anyone here still using an SSD they bought in say, 2010? If so, which SSD, in what computer, and what OS?

Pretty sure my X25-M and OCZ Agility are at least that old. Haven't had any problems with either, but the Agility started to misbehave when I switched it to AHCI as a second drive. Probably because I never updated the firmware. Win7 and XP.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Porkchop Express posted:

Edit: Nevermind found out Shadow Copy will copy all files, even if locked.

Are you trying to clone a drive via volume shadow copies? You probably should use something else, like gpartd.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Factory Factory posted:

So, good on OCZ for fixing many of the firmware flaws in its flagship drive and making a fast drive faster? The thing still has compatibility and stability problems at the firmware level, and it hasn't been out there long enough to see if there are QC issues yet.

You can look at it that way, or look at it like they should have done this before releasing the drive? So poo on them for poor rushing unfinished products to market.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
What's the deal with the Intel 330 series drives? I had good luck with my X25M and reliability is my #1 concern. The 320 series seem way expensive, why is the 330 cheaper?

Edit: 3 year vs 5 year warranty and it's slower, I guess. Will it be less reliable?

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 3, 2012

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
You mean as an OS/boot drive or a data drive for a database/access logs or something?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Will TRIM work in Windows software RAID 1? This guy seems to think so, and RAID 1 in Windows is a lot different than RAID 0 or 5 in hardware...?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Im_Special posted:

So I notice there's a new firmware for my Crucial m4 SSD, my current firmware version is 000F, all I need to do is run the 010G installer right? This is my first time upgrading my firmware and I'm kinda scared on something going bad.

Isn't 000F the one that will bluescreen after whatever number of hours? If so you should update. You should only need to run the firmware updater, it's not an OCZ drive that requires you wipe everything for each firmware update.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

It looks like I'm getting a 120GB OCZ drive for free (even then I'm tempted to set it on fire, gently caress OCZ)

Or just sell it?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Large HDDs actually do pretty well for sequential read and write. Think 2-3x performance increase, not 10 or 100x like it would be with random access. Is that enough to be worth the effort?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Well then it sounds like the Crucial is the best deal? They're all going to be limited by the SATA II bus speed and gently caress paying that much for OCZ.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

wipeout posted:

I'd get a Samsung 830.

Even at 150% of the cost of the M4?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
It's probably easier to go with a IDE->CF adapter and just avoid lots of writes.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Is this article still accurate regrading how drives do garbage collection? It seems like a drive could simply read the NTFS free space bitmap and use that to do GC. ext2/3/4, UFS, HPFS, and HPFS+ work similarly, and FAT is simple enough to read and figure out which clusters are free. Obviously building in per-OS support isn't ideal but if you hit the major FSs that could be worth while. Does anyone have GC that works this way?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
The first SSD I used (an OCZ) years ago was without AHCI or SATA3 and it was still amazingly fast compared to what I was used to. I've since upgraded but it's never been a noticeable change like it was coming from an HDD. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Verizian posted:

So I ran CDM to check the firmware version on my M4 drive (B:) and notice this on my M3 boot drive.

Give it to me straight doc, how long does she have left?

It looks like you've used 46% of your drive's useful life in 6688 hours of time your computer has been on. My math might be terrible, but assuming your use patterns don't change you should have another 7851 hours of computer time, or almost 11 months. I don't know how close you can safely get to that limit.

Also that is a huge number of unaligned accesses. I wonder if that number is accurate?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

gwrtheyrn posted:

If I'm using the same numbers as you, he's down 36% with 11889 hours left which is closer to 15-16 months

Yeah, you're right. 100 - 64 != 46. In my defense, I do have a cold.

Edit: Is it possible your filesystem cluster size is not a multiple of 4096? "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <drive>" should tell you, look for "Bytes Per Cluster".

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 8, 2012

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Yeah. They're pretty bad.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
He can go ahead and use them if he really wants, but there's what, a 5-8% chance per drive that the drive will fail?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I never had luck making a bootable USB key out of a 64-gig key. Something about windows not wanting to format something that big in one big FAT partition, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Just watch that that number doesn't start creeping up. Once in a blue moon is fine but if that counter increments every week you've got a problem.

• Locked thread