Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Have a question - I've recently started using a Samsung 830 128GB SSD - the numbers I'm getting in terms of benchmarks range to the 248MB/s for both Read and Write. From what I read though, it seems like my numbers should be higher. I looked through the SMART info and it currently looks like its running in SATA3 Mode.

Should I be expecting higher numbers? I guess I wouldn't notice a huge difference in speed, but I like having all my stuff running well or correctly configured.

To give a little more information, I have 1 RAID 0 Array set up, along with the SSD. BIOS is set to RAID mode because of this but from what I've read, any drive not in RAID mode runs in AHCI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

japtor posted:

That speed seems like it's being capped at SATA 3.0Gbps (SATA II), which may be what you saw? (Rather than SATA III which is 6.0Gbps and would give numbers around 500MB/s with that drive iirc)

That makes sense. I verified it using the Intel Rapid Storage tech stuff!

Does anyone else buy SSDs for their work laptops so that they no longer have to experience lag during work? Or do I have a sickness? :ohdear:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Aniki posted:

Frys Electronics is selling the 256GB Samsung 830 for $289.00, which currently makes it cheaper than the 240GB Corsair Force 3.

Argh.... I just bought the 128GB Samsung when it was on sale a few weeks ago. Ah wells, I'll just wait for a new revision I guess :(

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

tijag posted:

I just installed Win 7 fresh to a 120GB SSD. My Samsung 500GB HDD is also still in the computer [used to be boot drive]. Can I just delete all the old program folders and windows folders etc, leaving only media/documents that I want to keep?

Personally, I kept my old Windows directory on my old drive for a while in case my SDD had issues. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues, so I've finally deleted the whole Windows directory.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Bob Morales posted:

I stuck a 80GB Intel XM25 in my 2.4GHz C2D Macbook Pro and it turned it into a rocket. It won't make CPU-based tasks any faster, but it will boot up faster, FireFox starts instantly, hitting the page file or installing programs goes faster, and doing two things at once doesn't drag your computer to a halt.

So you can keep surfing the web or watching Youtube while you encode a video or compile something or extract some 1GB zip or rar file in the background.

This is exactly what I did to my girlfriend's C2D Macbook Pro as well. She was going from taking 5 minutes to load Illustrator files to getting them opened much much faster (we haven't tried anything as large as her projects yet). Its definitely worth the investment in the sense that you get much more life out of your laptop than expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

By the time DDR2 rolled around they had mostly cleaned up their act. Their horrible RAM days were in the DDR/SD-RAM days around 2000. Behold, people basically saying the same thing about OCZ (that they used to be terrible) back in 2003. :laugh:

gently caress that company.

I had a few techs out at OCZ once for a phone system installation. They were not happy with what they saw. I wish I had some pictures of their server room, but it literally looks like this:

• Locked thread