Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't think I like Batman. In fact, I don't think I ever liked Batman. I didn't ask for this.

No, wait, I'm still pretty pissed off. This math still doesn't check out. Batman cannot be 8 years older than Batgirl. He adopts Dick when Dick is single digit age, doesn't he? Or did the New 52 age him up to like 13? I genuinely don't remember despite having Nightwing #0 and all that. Bruce can't be 16 when he adopts Dick. And Barbara can't be that much older than Dick, it doesn't make sense. The gap HAS to be at least a decade and even that's wrong. It has to be more like 15. Who keeps trying to make Bruce/Babs a thing? Is it just Dini and Timm? It's like someone trying to put Wolverine with Kitty or Jubilee. If you propose that as an idea for a Wolverine story, you should be fired. Out of a cannon. Into space.

Pretty sure Dick being around 12 or 13 when Bruce took him in has been the standard depiction since basically forever, on account of it being slightly less hosed up than indoctrinating an eight year old into his army of the night. I certainly can't think of an example of Dick being depicted as any younger than 13, and most of the time he tended to come across as 14-17 before he switched to the blue tights.

That doesn't make this any less disturbing of course. The tiny modicum of interest I still had in this adaptation is now completely dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Young Justice animated series had Wonder Woman go off on Batman for starting Dick off as Robin at nine years old.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just want to go back and talk about that JL Action trailer and how much I like Wonder Woman's hair in it. It has style to it, which is more than she usually gets. Normally it just kind of defaults to long and black, maybe curly, mostly not.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this? posted:

Just want to go back and talk about that JL Action trailer and how much I like Wonder Woman's hair in it. It has style to it, which is more than she usually gets. Normally it just kind of defaults to long and black, maybe curly, mostly not.

Not gonna lie, I had the same thought.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, depending on how much damage to her system there is when she loses the use of her legs, Batman could be the last person she ever has sex with like that. What a great first and last time.

I am ashamed at how much I am laughing at this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Barbara Gordon originated in the Adam West show, and there she had her own apartment and a Bat themed motorcycle that we know her dad didn't buy. I don't know her comic versions origin, but for me it's how much of an rear end in a top hat move it is to Batman's surrogate son that's the issue, not the age difference.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Hey, the cartoon thread really blew up! Something awesome must have come out!

:stare:

Oh. OH. Ohhhhhh.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
As I was reading this whole thing about The Killing Joke, my eyes growing wider and wider.

Then I get a Facebook message from my friend, "I just got us tickets for the theater showing on Monday!!" ..Yay? Aw man.

On the brighter side, Justice League: Action looks great, AND fun. I can't wait for fall.

Looking at the cast..

I'm a little sad Brad Garrett won't be voicing Lobo.

After Young Justice, I'm glad Brent Spinner won't be playing Joker, but will instead be playing Edward Nigma. That seems to be a better fit with him.

Looking at the Wiki, it seems like we're getting Hal, instead of Guy, John or Kyle. I'd prefer John, but I just have mostly never liked Hal (the exception is the GL cartoon that was killed off too quickly.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I am ashamed at how much I am laughing at this.

At least it was the greatest best sex ever. So good she became obsessed with wanting more of that sweet Batsex.

God, this whole thing is disgusting.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Right, the next batch of DC Animated Movies was announced:

JL: Dark

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract

Harley Quinn: A Bruce Timm Original

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/sdcc-batman-the-killing-joke-cast-crew-debuts-film-at-comic-con-international

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/sdcc-batman-the-killing-joke-cast-crew-debuts-film-at-comic-con-international

Judas Contract was supposed to be like the second or third one and got canceled. Ten years later they get around to it. At least in that one the statutory rape is canon.

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Who keeps trying to make Bruce/Babs a thing? Is it just Dini and Timm? It's like someone trying to put Wolverine with Kitty or Jubilee. If you propose that as an idea for a Wolverine story, you should be fired. Out of a cannon. Into space.
Wasn't a Wolverine/Jubilee relationship Chris Claremont's endgame for the characters? I know Greg Rucka was on some episode of X-Plain the X-Men and said that a frequently-repeated story was that Claremont had stated that his intent was for Kitty to be Wolverine's true love.

I'm not sure which relationship is worse, but the fact that Barbara/Bruce is actually happening is certainly more terrifying.

Karnith fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 23, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For years there were those rumors about Guillermo Del Toro trying to make a JL:D movie and I always thought "God what a weird comic to try to adapt." Good to see that I don't have to worry about that HACK making a movie since I have my friends at DC animation, the arbiters of taste and quality, to do the job :barf:

Also, I totally could've sworn they already did Judas Contract

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Karnith posted:

Wasn't a Wolverine/Jubilee relationship Chris Claremont's endgame for the characters? I know Greg Rucka was on some episode of X-Plain the X-Men and said that a frequently-repeated story was that Claremont had stated that his intent was for Kitty to be Wolverine's true love.

I'm not sure which relationship is worse, but the fact that Barbara/Bruce is actually happening is certainly more terrifying.

At least Wolverine going after much younger women is part of his character.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Karnith posted:

Out of a cannon into space! No exceptions.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Lurdiak posted:

At least Wolverine going after much younger women is part of his character.

He was born in like the 1890's. Even Jean was a much younger woman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

He was born in like the 1890's. Even Jean was a much younger woman.

Yeah. And she was still supposed to be a teen when he started creepily obsessing over her. I'm not saying it's not gross but Wolverine is kind of a gross dude to start.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I thought that Wolverine/Jubilee was meant to be John Byrne's idea, which looking at his work...makes a great deal more sense. Horrible, horrible sense.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah. And she was still supposed to be a teen when he started creepily obsessing over her. I'm not saying it's not gross but Wolverine is kind of a gross dude to start.

Don't forget Professor X being in love with her. Also Colossus was 20 and Kitty was 14 when they first got together.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Karnith posted:

Kitty and Wolverine is grosser because Babs and Bruce never have a daughter/father relationship.

But it's more of a dick move on Bruce's part.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
SDCC: "BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE" SCREENWRITER EXPLAINS CONTROVERSIAL SEX SCENE

quote:

"The thing about this is that it's controversial, so we added more controversy," explained Azzarello. "I think she is stronger than the men in her life in this story. She controls the men in her life in this story."

"They both make mistakes, but she's the one who decides, 'I have to stop. There's a problem here, and I need to step away from this,'" Liu explained. "I think that comes from an emotional strength. I think she makes the decisions that strong people make."

"She comes off as a stronger character at the end of that arc," Azzarello agreed.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Teen Titans is probably going to be the next Damian Wayne movie, so that leaves Dark and the Harley movie as potentially being good. Although I have my doubts about the Harley one considering it's not "A Paul Dini original" and I've never liked the idea of slapping together a collection of supernatural weirdos and calling them "Justice League Dark", so maybe they'll all be bad

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

As a man the only way I can interpret female strength is to have her bone and become infatuated with the hero of the story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ToastyPotato posted:

As a man the only way I can interpret female strength is to have her bone and become infatuated with the hero of the story.

But it's her choice, just like it's her choice to get super clingy after her friend told her what to do and then start lying of what that night meant to her. Her choices are so strong when Joker kidnaps and disables her.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

And this is the guy they had writing Wonder Woman. Jesus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know he has some fans but I've honestly never read an Azzarello story I thought was particularly good.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

I'm glad DC finally understands the Batgirl focused criticisms people had about TKJ. I hated how in the story didn't also have her starting an unhealthy relation with Batman and realizing how bad she hosed up there. I just felt like TKJ ended on too high of a note for Barbra and focused way too much on her.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Karnith posted:

What? No, he didn't talk about wolverine at all. Aside from his original origin. He said Magik was more thought of for Kitty but he was reluctant to use the term true love as he preferred for the reader to make it up for themselves. Like they had Chris himself on the podcast.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

If by "stronger" you mean "weaker, less effective, and dumber," then...

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

Is this true? I thought the original team was at least college age by 1975 (though I suppose college age includes 18 and 19).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hm, yes, it's so empowering that she makes a decision and then is shot and crippled for her sins.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

Is this true? I thought the original team was at least college age by 1975 (though I suppose college age includes 18 and 19).

She's got some Rhoda-style living situation with sassy roommates and presumably a job in those 70s comics, so I would guess like early/mid-20s. Wolverine seems like he's 40-something and supposed to be a gross slob, though. I think that part kind of got lost.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's the logical conclusion of the Joker as a slasher movie villain idea, punishing her for having sex. Five gets you ten they specifically bring up that she's left unable to have children from the attack.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

I always read it as around 18 or 19 yeah.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Joker's greatest hits

Of course that Death in the Family would be one :v:

And is the Joker at the left of Jason a reference to Ledger?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It is, which is pretty awesome. I only recognize that, Jason, Harley, and Laughing Fish. Are the rest generic or are they all references?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Joker grinning just in front of Bruce is a reference to the cover for "The man that laughs" TPB.

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014
The Laffco Toy Factory at bottom-right is from the animated series, and second from the left on the top row is from an ad the Joker does in Batman '89 (minus approximately 100% Jack Nicholson).

Karnith fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 23, 2016

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The sad clown is a reference to his first 66 appearance.

Man, I can't believe they actually included A Death in the Family because that goes to what I was saying before. The Killing Joke is Moore's companion piece to Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. No matter if you think Batman kills Joker or they just go on fighting forever is irrelevant. Both are functionally the ending for that relationship. The Joker's never going to cross that beam of light. But it's an ending for the Joker who has been constantly escalating in how hosed up he is since Five-Way Revenge. The Joker as murderer taken to its extreme and actually hurting one of the main characters in a meaningful way.

Part of why I think The Killing Joke hasn't aged well is that edge has been lost because The Killing Joke and A Death in the Family and The Dark Knight Returns are the norm. Hurting Batman's family and killing swathes of people is what the Joker does. Referencing The Dark Knight and A Death in the Family just accentuates the fact. This is no longer a Joker story that you might have once considered in canon with The Man Behind the Red-Hood.

Even worse while Babs's assault is super problematic, adding the relationship completely messes up the dramatic stakes of the book. The Killing Joke is about Batman fighting for Gordon's sanity. The essential thesis of The Killing Joke is that Batman is a construct that helps us deal with the world. That's why Jim demands that Batman does it by the books. He needs Batman to validate his belief that the world is a good and hopeful place that makes sense just as much as Bruce Wayne and arguably the readers do.

Barbara is almost never presented as Batgirl because that is not the important part of that story. As dimishing it is to her as a characrter, she serves to be Jim's crime alley and vat of acid. But he doesn't have to go insane because Batman has already done that for him. Batman has let himself do something mad in order to present the beam of light that keeps others sane.

When you add this other dimension of it basically being the Joker raping and hurting Batman's girlfriend then you make it Batman's tragedy in a way where it's not in the book. You essentially diminish the stakes which should be Gordon's sanity and ultimately cheapening the triumph of Gordon not breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Could the top left be an anachronistic reference to TDKR where he gasses the talk show audience?

• Locked thread