Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

by followups you mean the actual chain judgement cuts and not the initial intertia floating cut right
'cuz your inputs are more or less correct- i'm talking about negative edge on the actual chains after the initial cut, which you cover as the ending melee->trick part
you're just negative edging the melee into trick at a precise moment so that another judgement cut (non-just frame) comes out- the visual/aural indicator is vergil sheathing his sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, so it's less Release > trick > press > trick and more > release > press > hold > trick, yeah?

The explanation video phrased it as if pressing melee during the sheathing animation and that would do a followup. Your explanation is much better, just negative edging JJCs over and over. I'll give that a run then, thanks.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

well, he presses melee during the sheathing animation because hitting the melee button naturally has the negative edge release as part of it
what i'm saying is that the timing is based on the negative edge, not the initial button press so you need to take that into account for something that could be screwing you up
you're not holding it, it's still press->release->trick, it's just there's an additional hold if you just buffer the initial melee press after the initial judgement cut is released so you can time your negative edge based off what actually triggers it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

this is why I'm never going to be good at high-level play in these games no matter how much I love them

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
If you don't care about rank, you can skip the majority of Mission 16 as Vergil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4oVXC5AgF0

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Someone really needs to mod Vergil's dodges and teleports to work without summoned swords and DT, his limited defensive mobility is seriously starting to irritate me on SoS. VMD is going to be brutal.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

AccountingNightmare posted:

If you don't care about rank, you can skip the majority of Mission 16 as Vergil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4oVXC5AgF0

you can do this with trish too, but in a longer and dumber manner- you just triplejump (with DT, to cut down on time) and then do her lunar phase->buffered pandora rocket launcher over and over because it actually makes you rise in height
see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJTjdO6W1-g

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Fereydun posted:

you can do this with trish too, but in a longer and dumber manner- you just triplejump (with DT, to cut down on time) and then do her lunar phase->buffered pandora rocket launcher over and over because it actually makes you rise in height
see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJTjdO6W1-g

I love this. :allears:

notZaar posted:

Someone really needs to mod Vergil's dodges and teleports to work without summoned swords and DT, his limited defensive mobility is seriously starting to irritate me on SoS. VMD is going to be brutal.

Yeah I love all 3 new characters but I feel like the designers dropped the ball when it comes to their defensive options, and as a result all 3 have weaker defensive options than Nero and Dante.

Nero has double-jump, table hopper, and on-demand access to temporary invincibility.
Dante has double-jump, trickster dash, sky star, and air trick with ALL of these things beefed up in DT, not to mention royal guard.
Lady has double-jump and invincibility during her grenade DT (which burns all her DT, making it weaker than Nero's version as a defensive option). Does her grenade hop (back + attack) have invincibility frames?
Trish has double-jump and triple-jump in DT.
Vergil has trick up/air trick (only access to one at a time, making it rather confusing for muscle memory) and trick down in DT. He also can't simply run around like the other characters can without tanking his Concentration Meter.

If I've missed something or have misunderstood something please let me know. I've only done one playthrough with each of the new characters and am worried what DMD mode is going to be like. I really hate the roll ability in DMC games because it just feels so awkward and weak compared to double-jump etc.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

lady back + y has a few invin frames, it's not that many
trish's divekick is fully invincible until landing which is pretty silly. her version of flush is also bonkers so there's that factor
vergil has table hopper in DT, it replaces his roll

lady and trish suffer really badly from not having strong movement options, it makes them feel super limited- especially trish who has 2 free buttons
but they're also literal afterthoughts in implementation (since the game was budgeted to only include vergil) so i guess i can't complain too much

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 18, 2015

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

AccountingNightmare posted:

I love this. :allears:

Yeah I love all 3 new characters but I feel like the designers dropped the ball when it comes to their defensive options, and as a result all 3 have weaker defensive options than Nero and Dante.

Nero has double-jump, table hopper, and on-demand access to temporary invincibility.
Dante has double-jump, trickster dash, sky star, and air trick with ALL of these things beefed up in DT, not to mention royal guard.
Lady has double-jump and invincibility during her grenade DT (which burns all her DT, making it weaker than Nero's version as a defensive option). Does her grenade hop (back + attack) have invincibility frames?
Trish has double-jump and triple-jump in DT.
Vergil has trick up/air trick (only access to one at a time, making it rather confusing for muscle memory) and trick down in DT. He also can't simply run around like the other characters can without tanking his Concentration Meter.

If I've missed something or have misunderstood something please let me know. I've only done one playthrough with each of the new characters and am worried what DMD mode is going to be like. I really hate the roll ability in DMC games because it just feels so awkward and weak compared to double-jump etc.

I am 99% sure that Lady's shoe-tying taunt has invincibility frames when she bends down. Not that that makes it a good defensive option, but it's there.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fereydun posted:

lady back + y has a few invin frames, it's not that many
trish's divekick is fully invincible until landing which is pretty silly. her version of flush is also bonkers so there's that factor
vergil has table hopper in DT, it replaces his roll

lady and trish suffer really badly from not having strong movement options, it makes them feel super limited- especially trish who has 2 free buttons
but they're also literal afterthoughts in implementation (since the game was budgeted to only include vergil) so i guess i can't complain too much

Well they were heavily advertised as a selling point of the game so i don't give them a free pass.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Lady's defensive option is the fact that she has the best shotgun in videogame history, eclipsing even Doom 2's double-barrel.

I guess Trish is all about locking everyone down with Round Trip, and her two chargeable attacks while Sparda is out both have AoE. Also yeah, her Flush has some bizarre properties that lets it melee clash with Blitzes and knock Gladii away while they're attacking you. I wonder if you can beat Agnus' window just by standing on the central platform and jumping as her.

Vergil not being able to Trick Up with an active Summoned Sword is kinda over the line though. Yes, he's got the best offensive game out of everyone and the best defensive options while in DT, which he doesn't really need to kill monsters with, but the Trick Up/Air Trick thing just feels like a half-assed attempt to balance him. There's already a bunch of enemies in the game that can chain attacks together; having multiple of them doing so at once is Vergil's biggest weakness.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I got through LDK with Vergil with very little practice and finished Bloody Palace with an S on the third attempt. I find that keeping enough DT to get access to Trick Down is only a small inconvenience. It's at least as good as Dante's Trickster. Vergil is pretty ridiculous. I got through Bloody Palace in an hour and twenty minutes.

If you want the no damage against Blood Palace Dante trophy/achievement, do Blistering Swords, trick up to him while he's shooting the swords, and then hit Lunar Phase -> Trick cancel -> Lunar phase over and over again. I didn't realize it until after Dante hit me with one shotgun blast. :(

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

J2DK posted:

If you want the no damage against Blood Palace Dante trophy/achievement, do Blistering Swords, trick up to him while he's shooting the swords, and then hit Lunar Phase -> Trick cancel -> Lunar phase over and over again. I didn't realize it until after Dante hit me with one shotgun blast. :(

Can you get Down a Notch (SSS-rank on Dante at SoS difficulty or above) with this? Or will the rank degrade too fast?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
an even easier vergil loop on dante is just blistering swords -> teleport in because no matter how dante responds to this move it leaves him open -> force edge combo b where you mash a ton -> doing this long combo while mashing regular swords has given you a full dt rune, blistering swords again as you knock him over -> repeat

anyway idk what everyone is saying about vergil having bad defense in this game, between the sword tutu and being able to mash teleports way faster I'd say he has the most practical/best defense options out of anyone, even before you get into DT and how comically fast that makes him with his crazy backwards/sideways teleports

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

toasterwarrior posted:

Can you get Down a Notch (SSS-rank on Dante at SoS difficulty or above) with this? Or will the rank degrade too fast?

The second part is correct. I ended up having him die at BRAVO.

darealkooky posted:

anyway idk what everyone is saying about vergil having bad defense in this game, between the sword tutu and being able to mash teleports way faster I'd say he has the most practical/best defense options out of anyone, even before you get into DT and how comically fast that makes him with his crazy backwards/sideways teleports

Agreed. In DT, nothing should be hitting you unless you were too close to Berial while he does his version Final Explosion.

Edit: http://www.twitch.tv/j2dk/v/7609877 At 3 hours and 3 minutes, I get to Dante. I was wrong about the shotgun. I got helm breakered. (I'm not super good nor do I stream often and my PS4 didn't update the game or broadcast title.)

Edit 2: I just figured out how to fix my PS4's problem. Heh.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 18, 2015

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Lady's defensive option is the fact that she has the best shotgun in videogame history, eclipsing even Doom 2's double-barrel.

Nah, that's gotta be Half-Life 2's shotgun. Thing destroyed pretty much anything in one hit - at surprisingly long ranges, too.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Maybe, but think about this: Lady can do a stinger with her shotgun, and then she can do a reverse stinger with her shotgun.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I have to live my life knowing that I will never beat Hazama in BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend. By the time Chrono Phantasma comes out on Steam I still will not have beaten Hazama. No matter how much I try, I am outmatched by the final boss of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, Hazama.

gently caress Hazama.

e; holy gently caress how tired was i last night to think this was july games chat thread

Uh... the latter two Jester fights in DMC3 really, really suck.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 19, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

I have to live my life knowing that I will never beat Hazama in BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend. By the time Chrono Phantasma comes out on Steam I still will not have beaten Hazama. No matter how much I try, I am outmatched by the final boss of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, Hazama.

gently caress Hazama.

They added Helm Breaker to Ragna in CF, it's cool.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Colonel posted:

gently caress Hazama.

I will never be able to calculate cosines as fast as my pocket calculator, I'm willing to live with that knowledge.

Edit: here's a Weird Tip for Vergil. You can counter Enchindras charge with blistering swords, it's a critical hit and will pump up your style rank massively.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 20, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really wish some of the bosses in DMC4 were as good as Credo, or in fact that any of them were.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

gently caress Hazama.

e; holy gently caress how tired was i last night to think this was july games chat thread

Uh... the latter two Jester fights in DMC3 really, really suck.

don'tplaytheAI.gif

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really wish some of the bosses in DMC4 were as good as Credo, or in fact that any of them were.

My only problem with Credo is that jumping trumps basically all of his attacks. It feels, against a fast, sword-wielding, duel-esque boss, that you should be doing rapid evasions and rolls and counters and the like. But nope! He usually punishes you for that pretty drat hard; just jumping out of reach of his attacks beats basically everything he does.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYbuF65__ZI

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Backhand posted:

My only problem with Credo is that jumping trumps basically all of his attacks. It feels, against a fast, sword-wielding, duel-esque boss, that you should be doing rapid evasions and rolls and counters and the like. But nope! He usually punishes you for that pretty drat hard; just jumping out of reach of his attacks beats basically everything he does.
this is my problem with DMC in general to be honest but yeah it's especially bad against Credo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone have any success modding the music? I want to get Vergil's theme in the game and I've tried following this guide, but no luck. I just get silence when the game tries to play the foreign tracks.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
Echidna is my favorite boss. Something about constantly taunting and royal guarding her is so fun to me.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Has anyone found any good ways to decloak Fausts/Mephistos with Trish? It's kinda frustrating that she has just about gently caress all ranged options in situations with those guys or blitzes. I've been throwing inazumas all over the place with some epidemics/hatreds thrown in but it turns out that's a great way to get murdered in short order when you have about three fausts on top of you.

Lakitouille
Oct 12, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone have any success modding the music?

This seems to be the only way that works.

Vprisoner posted:

Has anyone found any good ways to decloak Fausts/Mephistos with Trish?

Just shooting them while devil triggered does the job.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Backhand posted:

I think neutralizing all his attacks is fairly easy, but the challenge in his fight is getting a good Style rank. It's easy as hell for Nero thanks to his Buster baiting his charges and being a good combo-ender, and Lady is Lady, but as Vergil it's one of the best fights in the series since you need to get those sword clashes and guard breaks for the SSS. And to get those, you need to be in his grill all the time, slicing away and countering his parries whenever they happen.

Lakitouille posted:

Just shooting them while devil triggered does the job.

Yeah, Luce and Ombra feel like they do as much damage as Dante's charged pistol shots, and while in DT they can break Blitz shields surprisingly fast.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

I think neutralizing all his attacks is fairly easy, but the challenge in his fight is getting a good Style rank. It's easy as hell for Nero thanks to his Buster baiting his charges and being a good combo-ender, and Lady is Lady, but as Vergil it's one of the best fights in the series since you need to get those sword clashes and guard breaks for the SSS. And to get those, you need to be in his grill all the time, slicing away and countering his parries whenever they happen.

if you wanna be boring as hell you can actually just SSS it by doing the thing i linked in the vid above, every time he runs into the round trip your score jumps like one letter grade
like in my actual vid i got a B ranking because i was trying to do perfect judgement cuts nonstop in 30fps (this is hellish) but by just throwing out round trips constantly and shredding him with prefect judgement cuts or really mashing out anything you can easily get a SSS
it's really funny how much better vergil's round trip is compared to trish's

for the cloak guys btw, if you're on a stage that has a ton of them clumped up and near you just DT up, throw out your round harvest and then do the spinning bird kick. trish's DT adds a projectile property to all her attacks (i actually think it is just straight up an additional hit that is a projectile hit also) so your spinning bird kick mashed out will just instantly decloak everything from the sheer number of hits it does and probably kill everything too for the same reason.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fereydun posted:

if you wanna be boring as hell you can actually just SSS it by doing the thing i linked in the vid above, every time he runs into the round trip your score jumps like one letter grade
like in my actual vid i got a B ranking because i was trying to do perfect judgement cuts nonstop in 30fps (this is hellish) but by just throwing out round trips constantly and shredding him with prefect judgement cuts or really mashing out anything you can easily get a SSS
it's really funny how much better vergil's round trip is compared to trish's

Yeah something is straight up broken with Motivated Round Trip, that poo poo hits waaaay beyond its actual visual effect range both horizontally and vertically, and bosses get stunlocked by it something fierce

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
gently caress the SSS rank on Dante trophy :(

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Does anybody understand how Frost and Assault armor works? It seems sometimes they can be easily knocked down, but other times they will take whatever punishment you throw at them and then uppercut you out of nowhere. Is there some kind of tell when they are in "gently caress you" mode?

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

notZaar posted:

Does anybody understand how Frost and Assault armor works? It seems sometimes they can be easily knocked down, but other times they will take whatever punishment you throw at them and then uppercut you out of nowhere. Is there some kind of tell when they are in "gently caress you" mode?

They'll eat X (don't remember what the exact numbers are) knockdowns/launchers before they can be launched/knocked down.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
playing through dmc3 fresh on very hard, i forgot just quite how much i hate these rear end in a top hat angel guys, what a lovely enemy

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
maybe you should play on a big boy difficulty :smugbert:

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Well, I got that Dante trophy. Now I feel like the only thing between me and a platinum is time and that S ranking window fight on DMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

darealkooky posted:

maybe you should play on a big boy difficulty :smugbert:

dante must die in dmc3 is bad and not fun

• Locked thread