Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I wish there was a mode in DMC3 that combined the enemy tunings of very hard with the boss tunings of DMD. Or I guess just getting rid of enemy DT in DMD would be just as good, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Today I played Metal Gear Rising on my new graphics card while waiting for Wolfenstein to download. I'm never playing this game at sub-60 FPS ever again.

e; I just remembered that there is a Metal Gear Rising PC thread. It doesn't matter, though, because I still just cut a Metal Gear RAY in half at 60fps. But seriously though I should probably finish DMC3, I'm just not really liking the last few missions as much as the first half

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

dante must die in dmc3 is bad and not fun

DMD is unfun in all of the games because enemies become damage sponges who take forever to put into hitstun and you eat poo poo if you get touched once.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
That's only true for 3, really. DMD mode is great in 1; enemies even have less health than in the other difficulties there to offset their huge attack boost (and the only damage sponges are the marionettes, who get a huge DMC3-like defense boost if they DT). On the other hand DMC4's DMD mode is just way too easy; enemies are too weak and unthreatening. Enemy DT in that game hardly gives them a defense boost so I don't think they feel like damage sponges in that game, either.

DMC3's DMD mode is the only* iffy one because like half of the enemies are already DMC2-tier trash and become intolerable to fight when enemy DT gives them 4x defense or whatever.

As for getting killed in a handful of hits - DMD mode is Very Hard mode, so I don't see the problem there. That should be expected.

*I don't care about DMC2 or DmC

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I still can't figure out what, if anything, makes Gunslinger style worthwhile in 4. I have trouble using guns as anything other than combo extenders generally I guess.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I still can't figure out what, if anything, makes Gunslinger style worthwhile in 4. I have trouble using guns as anything other than combo extenders generally I guess.

Using the pistols' or shotgun's gunslinger move in the air is probably the fastest / most efficient way to decloak Fausts and Mephistos. Even if you aren't interested in doing crazy stylish stuff, that alone makes gunslinger worthwhile.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there isn't one outside of using the one pandora move to remove shields or the other pandora move to fly over the laser hallway for a laugh

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's a bit tricky, but if you jump directly into a ghost and do the shotgun nunchuk move it will do massive damage to their cloak. Other than that it's pretty much just for Pandora.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Gunslinger is good if you're in the air and pistols with Dante spinning them around firing a million times is actually a pretty good way of take down cloaks.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

That's only true for 3, really. DMD mode is great in 1; enemies even have less health than in the other difficulties there to offset their huge attack boost (and the only damage sponges are the marionettes, who get a huge DMC3-like defense boost if they DT). On the other hand DMC4's DMD mode is just way too easy; enemies are too weak and unthreatening. Enemy DT in that game hardly gives them a defense boost so I don't think they feel like damage sponges in that game, either.

Frosts, Fausts, and Blitzes are all bastards in DMD and they are in an abundance. Even as Nero Frosts generally duck away if you try to buster them so your most effective option against every enemy is Charge Shot LV3 because that p much kills everything in two shots. Higher-tiered monsters generally don't let you make mistakes against them or you eat poo poo. Maybe it's because I made the mistake of doing DMD mode first with Nero/Dante without their upgrades and other weapons so I can't stuff out everything with Pandora Laser or Real Impact, but the higher-tiered enemies don't take your poo poo on DMD unless you just methodically CS LV3 everything which they can't do anything about.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Beef Chief posted:

Higher-tiered monsters generally don't let you make mistakes against them or you eat poo poo.

if you wanna just button mash against enemies without thinking why would you play dmc of all games, god of war and basara are way better

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was implying.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Somehow I have enough Proud Souls to max out everyone except Nero and Dante, who I'm 5k and 10k souls away respectively.

I don't understand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Somehow I have enough Proud Souls to max out everyone except Nero and Dante, who I'm 5k and 10k souls away respectively.

I don't understand.

Nero and Dante have the largest collection of moves.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

Nero and Dante have the largest collection of moves.

Right, but you'd think they'd scale the soul costs enough that if you can max out one character, you can max out all of them. At least, that's how I thought it worked.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Beef Chief posted:

Frosts, Fausts, and Blitzes are all bastards in DMD and they are in an abundance. Even as Nero Frosts generally duck away if you try to buster them so your most effective option against every enemy is Charge Shot LV3 because that p much kills everything in two shots. Higher-tiered monsters generally don't let you make mistakes against them or you eat poo poo. Maybe it's because I made the mistake of doing DMD mode first with Nero/Dante without their upgrades and other weapons so I can't stuff out everything with Pandora Laser or Real Impact, but the higher-tiered enemies don't take your poo poo on DMD unless you just methodically CS LV3 everything which they can't do anything about.

The game's not really balanced for doing new game DMD runs which is why you normally can't access it. Offering it as DLC was a strange move on Capcom's part. Even then though it's not that hard (except Mission 1 which is brutal) because you get tons of Proud Souls quickly and can unlock the basics of your moveset. I haven't noticed any of those enemies having a ton more health on DMD, they just punish you by design for letting them recloak (Faust) or regenerate (Frost). And Blitzes just always take a bit of time to kill, sometimes for dumb reasons (stop wriggling around Blitz you arsehole). Enemies usually don't do much damage in this game though so it's not a huge deal.

Fausts are probably the easiest to handle of those 3, even in new game DMD. As Nero use Showdown when they're decloaked (mash shoot to keep them stunned with Summoned Swords while the move winds up). You do encounter at least one before getting Devil Trigger but again, that's because this sort of playthrough isn't really intended. As Dante you have Gilgamesh by the time these enemies show up and should have plenty of Proud Souls to level Swordmaster, allowing you to DRI them. As for Frosts, you can skip Dante's first Frost fight and as Nero you can bowl over them pretty hard with Exceeded Streaks and Double Downs. When they're knocked on their butt you should be able to Snatch and Buster them. You can also Snatch and Buster them during some of their attack animations. Nero's Charge Shot level 3 is incredible but it's not his only good move and should be used in conjunction with his other moves, not in place of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't pay for it on DLC, you can unlock difficulties by doing lower ones with other characters. I'm complaining, but I've actually be doing a lot of what you've been sayingand handling them fine. Sometimes I goof up and get hit by a wayward attack and there goes my health, but that just tells me I need to be more mindful. Honestly my only real problem points in DMD on a new run were the Window Boss with Nero and fighting Blitzes with Dante since it becomes very clear very quickly that it's gonna take a while to put that thing's shield down more so than usual and it's made doubly troublesome if there are other enemies hopping around and the Faults.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

AccountingNightmare posted:

Offering it as DLC was a strange move on Capcom's part.
I suspect they just didn't put any thought into it. "Is it unlockable? Throw in a DLC for it."

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Beef Chief posted:

I didn't pay for it on DLC, you can unlock difficulties by doing lower ones with other characters.

Oh I didn't notice this somehow! I've only done Devil Hunter in the Special Edition so far so I need to get to work unlocking those.

And yeah the window boss is quite a pain on Turbo especially. Another nice way of decloaking Blitzes as Dante is to wait for them to do the teleport explosion and then do a Distorted Level 2 Straight (you won't need to just charge it) while they're standing around. It'll decloak them in one hit. Of course this requires them to do that move and sometimes they just don't want to cooperate. I have such a love/hate relationship with Blitzes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hello friends i made dumb vids w/ trish

this one shows me loving up reverse divider, a dumb glitch i found involving her v-divider move and a really neat thing w/ jump canceled pandora laser that huangRS had in a sick combo vid of his
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoKlrfdWTdk

these are garbage combos that could've been cool but i can't think of anything to fill aircombo time with besides spinning around in a 360 while swinging sparda or shooting guns because i really don't wanna divekick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvvVJdRALcA

ok thanks for listening~

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
What's that mod you're using?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

notZaar posted:

What's that mod you're using?
the blue effects?
it's somethin' i threw together 'cuz i really disliked trish's default color scheme for her attacks
http://www.mediafire.com/download/t1n3zn4iva2102h
there's also a purple variation here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cjsv77iarkz5t19

the force edge isn't included but it's pretty janky looking anyways

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Wow, I need some tips for Trish against DMD bosses /bloody palace of you guys have any.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I know that showing off and sheathing his sword slowly is Vergil's thing, but how do I play him so he stops eating scarecrow blades while he's locked into his cool dude pose? I hate how lovely his dodge is.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

notZaar posted:

I know that showing off and sheathing his sword slowly is Vergil's thing, but how do I play him so he stops eating scarecrow blades while he's locked into his cool dude pose? I hate how lovely his dodge is.

For the recovery animations that you can't jump/dodge out of, you can usually teleport to get out of them. Alternatively, you can do summoned sword inputs while recovering.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Think of his teleport like Defensive Offensive in Revengeance: it's for staying right in something's grill while phasing through their attacks. If you want some distance, it's best to have some DT on hand for teleport-mashing away.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hello friends i make more trish video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhBKBzoXjoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z73EUyjmwsY

J2DK posted:

Wow, I need some tips for Trish against DMD bosses /bloody palace of you guys have any.
abuse her divekick, lunar phase and pandora laser as much as possible
trish's divekick is fully invincible until she lands so against pretty much every single boss you can just keep lunar phasing them (forward+bare knuckle) until it looks like you're gonna get hit and then jump cancel->divekick right on outta there
for echidna when she plants herself into the ground doing round trip->DT->spinning bird kick fully mashed out will shred off a pretty considerable chunk of her health if you don't feel like just pandora lasering her over and over again

basically never ever use sparda attacks besides round trip because lunar phase is 10x better in terms of just dealing raw damage and putting you into a position to where you can jump cancel your way to safety or more damage

notZaar posted:

vergil's embedded sword teleport can cancel literally everything he does, it's absolutely insane. it also gives you a decent amount of invincibility frames. you basically never have to sit through the recovery of anything because you just teleport straight back to the enemy and continue loving them up

edit: it's what allows folks to do crazy poo poo like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AscnOiZ6QTo

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 16, 2015

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That second Trish combo is pretty good! Now if only we had a way to kill Blitzes easily, because those Pandora rockets just can't cut it...

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So, I've been playing as Vergil, and as fun as it is (it is very fun) I'm having trouble nailing the timing for his JFJCs. I can do a couple pretty regularly but I'd really like to end every combo with a JFJC. I'm pretty much exclusively using the Yamato as I'd really like to master it. I sometimes incorporate Beowulf into my combos but not really that often, and I usually just forget about Force Edge.

Anyone have any extra tips as Vergil? I've already beaten most of SoS with him (I'm getting bored in the story) and have started to focus on BP. It feels like his launcher just randomly throws mobs in the air - sometimes they don't launch at all.

Also, he makes me hate Berial just because of his stupid nuke I can't dodge.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The Yamato launcher is tied to your concentration meter. The higher your level, the stronger your launcher will be, and the greater the range. At level 3 you can launch enemies who are nowhere near you, even the SFX don't reach as far as your actual range.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
:stare: Wow, that escalated quickly.

I went from barely beating stage 20 of the Bloody Palace to dying at stage 79 (Credo). Crazy what JFJC can do for you when you figure it out. I was trivializing all the non-blitz waves I was fighting.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

at the very least with force edge try using round trip and the switching back to yamato
it's really, really fun to just go berserk with round trip out because of how silly it is, even against bosses

as for enemies that will/won't launch: some enemies are armored and require you to hit them with a launcher 3~ times before they can be launched- frosts are like this, i believe. same with devil triggered enemies.
i think you just straight up can't launch the lil parasite enemies though

p.s. here's another trish video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjKiwc1oaTQ

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AccountingNightmare posted:

The game's not really balanced for doing new game DMD runs which is why you normally can't access it. Offering it as DLC was a strange move on Capcom's part.

I bought the DLC (was eager for BP mode), it's actually pretty interesting playing DMD while unlocking Dante's weapons. This is my second time through DMD (first in SE) and it's much harder. Not having Pandora, Gilgamesh or Lucifer right away is a surprisingly large disadvantage - in DMD you find yourself missing the laser, uppercuts etc. until you're a few stages through.

It has the unexpected upside of making you a lot more proficient with Rebellion and the guns, which is nice. There were a few parts in Fortuna Castle where I legitimately though about dropping to Human and rolling through to collect the items before coming back to DMD. The library room that's full of Angelo is pretty tough without Pandora - my go-to move was tricking about and wearing them down from the air. Without Pandora, I'm basically using Gilgamesh on everything while charging shotgun blasts. I think I'm getting good, just slowly.

I actually kind of recommend it to people.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone else picked up the DMC Graphic Arts?

Lots of really interesting info on the creator interviews.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My copy is on its way

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

so i guess i won the official capcom combo contest thing and got a pizza box and copy of the game both signed by itsuno
though it didn't have the survey? i dunno
here's my entry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tke_f07q-60

and here's the Goods

p.s. quick summarize all the creator interview stuff i wanna know the secrets

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh man that video great job dude.
That ending and the Frost juggle, sublime.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fereydun posted:

so i guess i won the official capcom combo contest thing and got a pizza box and copy of the game both signed by itsuno
here's my entry:

and here's the Goods

Hot drat dude, congratulations!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone else picked up the DMC Graphic Arts?

Lots of really interesting info on the creator interviews.

Thanks for reminding me, the release date snuck up on me.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fereydun posted:

here's my entry:

and here's the Goods

I know you didn't, but I wish you got a real pizza in that box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Nahxela posted:

I know you didn't, but I wish you got a real pizza in that box.
im actually really tempted to ruin the box by putting pizza in it for a joke photo bc i dont know what else to do with it

• Locked thread