Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Man the environments and style all LOOK so good and fit right into the DMC universe.

And then the combat starts... Jesus it looks like Heavenly Sword 2. All the same issues still seem to be there. If they were trying to sell it as DMC then they certainly succeeded, it absolutely reminds me of one DMC game. That is to say it reminds me of DMC2. From those slow and clunky attacks to the damage sponge enemies that barely react to anything Dante does it just looks so disappointing..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Release date for the HD collection in North America and Europe is April 3rd, its coming out on PS3 and 360 at the same time.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ulio posted:

Release date for the HD collection in North America and Europe is April 3rd, its coming out on PS3 and 360 at the same time.

For some reason Amazon just gave me a shipping update saying the game is released on Dec 31st? What an odd mistake?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
An article/ interview with Tameem Antoniades.

Gaming Everything posted:

After the announcement of a reboot of the historical saga of Devil May Cry, millions of fans from around the globe have expressed their dissent energetically, wanting the arrival of a true sequel after three years of waiting.

But the reason for this strong, collective disapproval was bound to the choice made by Capcom to replace the old with a new Dante, whose aesthetic characterizations are far distant from the original nature of the brand.

So the gym white-haired demon hunter was replaced, without too much fuss, by a slim teen with “emo” clothing, according to the development team Ninja Theory, they were trying to get closer to the social and cultural backgrounds of young people of today .

A younger character is not the only news of DmC, because from what we saw, the game features many new products in terms of both combat mechanics and navigation… and we’re talking about very positive changes .

Above all, the battles have a dynamicism that already, at this stage of development, are spectacular and can enhance the character as only a certain Son of Sparda was able to do (f*ck God of War)[sic]. In an attempt to discover some extra details of DmC we interviewed Tameem Antoniades, the lead developer of the project DMC Ninja Theory.

--

First of all, can we say whether this is a new and a younger Dante of previous chapters, or a Dante from a parallel dimension?

Antoniades: DmC is a new beginning for Devil May Cry. While not completely adhering to the canons of the original series, it draws inspiration from them(?). DmC’s narrative explores the youth of Dante, in a period of his life where he’s still not comfortable with the powers that derive from his status as a hybrid between angel and devil.

Yep. Still making GBS threads on Eva.

quote:

CONT.

In the trailers we see Dante with the white hair and red jacket, looks more close to that of past games? And that’s his equivalent of the demonic form present in the past chapters?

A: The one you refer to is the new Devil Trigger where he lets his demonic soul escape. This changes the look and feel of Dante, but also has an impact on gameplay. When Devil Trigger is activated, his strength and speed increase and all the demons that are hit at this stage will be raised from the ground, falling more slowly. You can continue to attack in midair and more time will be able to keep them suspended and inflict the most damage, while prolonging the duration of the Devil Trigger. Its a true test of skill.

This has already been covered.

quote:

In the trailer we see the city changing before Dante’s eyes.

A : The city fights to stop the passage of Dante, the game environments come to life, thus changing and writhing as if alive. The challenge of DMC will not be only against the enemy demons, but also in crossing levels in the most spectacular way possible. The city breaks down and writhes … often you will be asked to jump and put your skills to the test (I don’t know what they mean by “le parkour”)[sic]. The grappel will be needed in order to survive in certain situations. Not only battles, but a little platforming!

Well, we guessed as much.

quote:

How important will be the exploration phase of the levels in DMC? Can we expect a lot during the “climbing” and jump like in Uncharted?

A : DMC is set in a surreal world, alive and dynamic, steeped in an ancient evil that wants to kill Dante. We call it Malice. In a world willing to do everything to stop you, the acrobatic ability of the player will have a decisive role in overcoming the obstacles that block your path. Dante’s abilities will open new ways to explore the environment. For example, you can use his angelic powers for grabbing with a chain to get to otherwise inaccessible areas, or hop quickly to landslide rubble on a house below(?) him. In Dante’s demonic form, PUD to manipulate the world around you, dragging and dropping elements to create new roads.

There will be puzzles to solve?
A : Yes, but the real focus of DmC are fighting and surviving the perils of the environment.

They seem to be pushing platforming as their biggest asset rather than the fighting...in a game series where the focus is on fighting first, and everything else, second.

quote:

Can you tell us something about the system enhancement of Dante and his weapons?

A : At first Dante will have very few skills but in the course of the game you will be able to increase the number of attacks and collect a large arsenal of weapons. You will again spend red orbs that you find throughout the game in one of the “shops”.

This is better news - more weapons and red orbs.

quote:

Will there be some cosmetic changes that emphasize the strengthening of Dante? Maybe showing more demonic traits?

A : At the moment I do not want to reveal anything about this.

So we take that as a yes! Coming back to the fighting, will it be like the past (ie, focused on long sequences of keys) or will it follow the current fashion of simplifying gameplay (ie, using a single button to do anything)?

A : DmC’scombat will be fast, fluid, technical, and most importantly, fun! It will be a very deep system with many moves that are “down to earth” that “fly” and can be linked together for very long combos. Dante will have three forms (human, angel and devil) and each will have unique weapons and a different style of fighting. You can change shape at any moment, even during a combo. This opens up an infinite number of combinations of possible attack, leaving great room for creativity of the players.

If it ends up looking anything like what has been shown in the WIP fight trailer, then you're talking out your arse.

This is promising though.

quote:

The environments are visually spectacular! Where do you draw inspiration for the creation of cities and gigantic end bosses?

A: For the way in which Malice deforms, Our Director and Technician of Art, Stuart Adcock, has studied movies of objects imploding because of pressure, like a can of oil that suddenly collapses on itself. We also took inspiration from time-lapse movies (the ones where you shoot one frame at a later date) that give an eerie animation style. From the graphical point of view, our Visual Art Director Alessandro Taini took inspiration from some surreal, dreamlike combinations from neo-Gothic Europe. The buildings that you see are taken from English cities, like Barcelona [sic - what the gently caress? :psyduck:] and, of course, the hometown of that Alesandro and Genoa. As for the Bosses, we don’t want to reveal anything.

Will DmC’s narrative have a more important role?

A: Yes, absolutely! DmC will tell of Dante as a teenager who discovers his purpose in life and learns to use his powers. I can’t tell you more than this, or I’ll ruin the surprise.

So a rehash of DMC3 then? Except, with a blander, watered-down Dante?

quote:

The Dante that we have seen in the last trailer is a little different from the one in the official announcement of the game. You have made changes as a result of comments received on the web?

A: Well, it’s quite normal for the design of a character to change during the production, so we do not want make too many changes made on the conspiracy of DmC since it was first presented.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Bullshit. You changed it because the backlash was that bad.

Even the magazine doing the interview thinks it's bullshit.

quote:

With this sentence ends our interview with Tameem Antoniades … and despite what he has said (or perhaps because of what he told us), it reinforces in us the idea that some changes are due to fans’ reactions.

Capcom knows to pay close attention to feedback from the web (since the birth of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is due to a mobilization of their own fans online) and after the disasterous sales like Bionic Commando, you suppose that they want to have more say in which developers are working on their brands. Besides, when you want to innovate when its statistically impossible to please everyone, especially the faithful supporters of long standing franchise, it can be hard (drat nostalgia).

Our advice however is to forget the past and begin to see this title with different eyes, because otherwise you could make the mistake of underestimating one of the most interesting games of 2012

Source:http://gamingeverything.com/13305/new-dmc-scans-and-details/

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

quote:

Can you tell us something about the system enhancement of Dante and his weapons?

A : At first Dante will have very few skills but in the course of the game you will be able to increase the number of attacks and collect a large arsenal of weapons. You will again spend red orbs that you find throughout the game in one of the “shops”.

I wonder if this means they're ditching proud souls (I think that's what they were called). I really liked that system.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

quote:

So we take that as a yes! Coming back to the fighting, will it be like the past (ie, focused on long sequences of keys) or will it follow the current fashion of simplifying gameplay (ie, using a single button to do anything)?

A : DmC’scombat will be fast, fluid, technical, and most importantly, fun! It will be a very deep system with many moves that are “down to earth” that “fly” and can be linked together for very long combos. Dante will have three forms (human, angel and devil) and each will have unique weapons and a different style of fighting. You can change shape at any moment, even during a combo. This opens up an infinite number of combinations of possible attack, leaving great room for creativity of the players.

Notice how Antoniades doesn't really definitively answer the question here. "Fast, fluid, technical" could describe a number of things- I'm playing Arkham City right now and I would say that about the combat in [/i]that[i] game. He doesn't say it'll be like a typical DMC game- and that would be a very easy and positive thing to say, if it were true. This worries me. Also, remember how in Heavenly Sword you could switch between "fast", "strong" and "balanced" modes of combat? Hmmm... == "angel", "devil" and "human"? Don't give me another reason to dislike you, Antoniades. On the positive side, there will apparently be more than three weapons to play around with!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

On the positive side, there will apparently be more than three weapons to play around with!

I'm kind of iffy on this actually. They talked earlier about the fact that your weapon can transform into different shapes depending on your attacks. I sort of suspect that "different weapons" is going to mean "context sensitive based on attack" instead.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monkey Fracas posted:

This worries me. Also, remember how in Heavenly Sword you could switch between "fast", "strong" and "balanced" modes of combat? Hmmm... == "angel", "devil" and "human"? Don't give me another reason to dislike you, Antoniades.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Angel Power for Speed!

Slicing the enemy with a scythe-like sharp blade. Angel weapon power is used for speedy attacks. Use it near obstacles to change the weapon's form and demonstrate the various capabilities of it.

Yeah, so speed attacks, and possibly used for jumping puzzles and things.

Demon Power for Strength!

Crush the enemy with a weapon such as a heavy axe. The Demon power can pull enemies towards you using a grab move.
Heavy attacks basically.

Human's probably going to be the guns or something. I wish there was more information at the moment.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
So instead of a style button there are two melee buttons "light" and "heavy"? That what it sounds like. Could be interesting I guess...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I'm kind of iffy on this actually. They talked earlier about the fact that your weapon can transform into different shapes depending on your attacks. I sort of suspect that "different weapons" is going to mean "context sensitive based on attack" instead.

Oh this would be the sneakiest bullshit ever and I certainly wouldn't put it past 'em.

"Pesky Splinter posted:

Angel Power for Speed!

Slicing the enemy with a scythe-like sharp blade. Angel weapon power is used for speedy attacks. Use it near obstacles to change the weapon's form and demonstrate the various capabilities of it.

Yeah, so speed attacks, and possibly used for jumping puzzles and things.

Demon Power for Strength!

Crush the enemy with a weapon such as a heavy axe. The Demon power can pull enemies towards you using a grab move.
Heavy attacks basically.

Oh, I was wrong. It's a revamped Heavenly Sword system- I know this is kiiiind of reaching here but drat if it doesn't remind me of it. This is supposed to be DEVIL MAY CRY Antoniades!

You'd think they would release a trailer really detailing the combat- isn't the release less than a year away (probably)?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monkey Fracas posted:

You'd think they would release a trailer really detailing the combat- isn't the release less than a year away (probably)?

Most websites say it's probably going to be released sometime this year.

If I had estimate a time, I'd say late fall, at the earliest. Depending on what they have left to do, it could very well be for Winter 2012. Assuming of course, that they don't push it back to the next year or whatever.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ImpAtom posted:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh this would be the sneakiest bullshit ever and I certainly wouldn't put it past 'em.

:v:

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

DmC Devil May Cry “Squarely Competing With Bayonetta” In Gameplay: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/04/dmc-devil-may-cry-squarely-competing-with-bayonetta-in-gameplay/

quote:

Jones says that DmC is an “intensely collaborative” project, especially in the character department, and that Capcom Japan are providing guidance to ensure that the game’s combat is up to par. Upon being asked if Capcom see Bayonetta — developed by the original creator of the Devil May Cry series — as a competitor, Jones replies that DmC is “squarely competing” with Bayonetta in terms of how the game feels in your hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoLPDkaM9BE

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Competing with Bayonetta.

Hahahaha. Oh lordy, he probably believes that to. Nothing made on the unreal 3 can compete with Bayonetta.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's a good sign that they are at least trying to reach the same level as Bayonetta.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Alteisen posted:

Competing with Bayonetta.

Hahahaha. Oh lordy, he probably believes that to. Nothing made on the unreal 3 can compete with Bayonetta.

You realize that the unreal engine is just that, an engine, right? The graphics engine the game is using has nothing to do with how gameplay will feel. You wouldn't say that Arkham City plays the same as Gears of War would you?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Sharps posted:

You realize that the unreal engine is just that, an engine, right? The graphics engine the game is using has nothing to do with how gameplay will feel. You wouldn't say that Arkham City plays the same as Gears of War would you?

I think he's talking more about the choppiness inherent to games running on it in general. It doesn't matter if the game is Gears or Lost Odyssey, Alien Breed Evolution, X-Men Origins, whatever, Unreal 3 engine gives you an unstable framerate and lots of pop-in, two things I would never want in an action game I want to take seriously. Some games like Shadows of the Damned are well-designed enough visually that they work with it and around it but overall it's not what I'd want for a Devil May Cry game.

THAT said, this looks pretty fun and I am still anxious to try it out. I'm not sure why everyone is so upset about the audio cue for the style meter though. Having the music swell or get more intense is going to be much better than having to glance at a meter in the corner now and then. In a era where having a big glowing "YOU CAN INTERACT WITH THIS" prompt on everything is often the default the less intrusive the HUD the better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

THAT said, this looks pretty fun and I am still anxious to try it out. I'm not sure why everyone is so upset about the audio cue for the style meter though. Having the music swell or get more intense is going to be much better than having to glance at a meter in the corner now and then. In a era where having a big glowing "YOU CAN INTERACT WITH THIS" prompt on everything is often the default the less intrusive the HUD the better.

In this case, I don't particularly agree. Devil May Cry is an arcade style action game where things like points are actually a part of the game, not just a holdover mechanic. That is part of why I enjoy it. A lot of games now treat "game" like a bad word and that's honestly less fun to me when I actually want to play a game instead of an "interactive experience."

The Style Meter being visible is pretty important because it gives easy and direct feedback to how well you are doing. You instantly know if you're maintaining an A or S or SSS. It's your score meter effectively. It being invisible just makes it more obtuse and strongly implies that they developers are more interested in making an experience then a game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

In this case, I don't particularly agree. Devil May Cry is an arcade style action game where things like points are actually a part of the game, not just a holdover mechanic. That is part of why I enjoy it. A lot of games now treat "game" like a bad word and that's honestly less fun to me when I actually want to play a game instead of an "interactive experience."

The Style Meter being visible is pretty important because it gives easy and direct feedback to how well you are doing. You instantly know if you're maintaining an A or S or SSS. It's your score meter effectively. It being invisible just makes it more obtuse and strongly implies that they developers are more interested in making an experience then a game.

If the were smart, they would just give the option of toggling it on or off. Problem solved! Watching the video, it seems like they are invested in making this a good action game, but I don't know if that is their primary objective here. The input from the previous designers a Capcom should also really help (hopefully they listened). I guess I'm just upset that they're trying to make the narration and cutscenes "cool" rather than "Whoa gnarly dude I'm going to surf on this missile". There will be nothing like that goofy "opera theater" scene from DMC4 and this saddens me. :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

I think he's talking more about the choppiness inherent to games running on it in general. It doesn't matter if the game is Gears or Lost Odyssey, Alien Breed Evolution, X-Men Origins, whatever, Unreal 3 engine gives you an unstable framerate and lots of pop-in, two things I would never want in an action game I want to take seriously. Some games like Shadows of the Damned are well-designed enough visually that they work with it and around it but overall it's not what I'd want for a Devil May Cry game.

What this man said, the unreal is pretty crappy in terms of anything fast and fluid, team little devils also had their own engine for DMC which is why it was so fast, I honestly don't see how this can even come close to the fluidness and quickness of Bayonetta.

Also agreeing on the style meter thing, that's been in all DMC's and was integral to the gameplay and how well you where doing, removing it is retarded.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm just not seeing the competition with Bayonetta. Until you get decent at it, Bayonetta is a game that is wholly too fast to keep up with, in my opinion. The trailers we've seen so far of DmC look super slow in my comparison. I can understand they might try to match the combo system of Bayonetta, but I feel like the gameplay was all about speed and hectic, whereas this gameplay so far looks like that one Nero secret mission where you try to stay in the air as long as possible so you just keep grabbing enemies to stay in the air.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I don't get why they seem to be making out this weapon changing system as innovative, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that one of the main innovations that DMC3 brought to the table?

Also, making a statement about competing with Bayonetta on various parts, is a really, really dumb move; it just makes people compare this game on that level then. And even with what they're promising, and what we've seen, I don't think that they can achieve that level.

It's bad enough that we're comparing it to the rest of the DMC games, let alone Bayonetta.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Apparently Ninja Theory Are recieving death threats over DmC.

quote:

It seems some gamers really, really don't like Dante's look in DmC, the upcoming reboot of Devil May Cry. Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades revealed in a new interview that the studio received death threats over the game.

Antoniades told OXM UK:

"So I was half prepared for it, although I have to say that it has been pretty eye opening to see some of the creative ways in which people have chosen to vent their hatred. We didn't expect death threats in comic book form or anti-DmC death metal songs!"

It's one thing bitching about a game, and the choices made for it, but death threats to the people working on it? Urgh, idiotic zealotry! :psyduck:

quote:

While it's disturbing that someone would actually threaten the lives of video game developers, I'm very curious about these "death threats in comic book form" and "anti-DMC death metal songs." Ninja Theory should bundle them with a Collector's Edition or something.

Sources: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Devil-May-Cry-Reboot-Studio-Received-Death-Threats-38384.html
http://www.oxm.co.uk/37409/ninja-theory-has-received-death-threats-over-devil-may-cry-reboot/

In that same interview, they seem to hint that character redesign was something of a marketing ploy, without actually saying it.

quote:

"Though I must say, lots of people have come and said that they are now interested in DmC whereas they had previously lost interest in the series. We'll see how this plays out."

I'm torn as to whether this is the greatest marketing ever (there's no such thing as bad publicity), or the worst marketing ever (people are going to hate this from the start).

It also says that there will be more info released soon.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I find it really hard to believe that DmC Dante has somehow made "lots of people" suddenly interested in the franchise.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Interested in the sense of "what the gently caress are you doing to Dante" :stare:, rather than "Oh cool a new DMC!" :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Schubalts posted:

I find it really hard to believe that DmC Dante has somehow made "lots of people" suddenly interested in the franchise.

Ninja Theory is on its last legs (as they deserve to be, far as I'm concerned) and Capcom doesn't have many franchises left to whore out, so it shouldn't be too surprising that there's a PR hurricane around this title.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
People's livelihood or lives shouldn't be destroyed over this game. I'm sure you'd all agree that's a childish attitude to have.

I don't think this game will top Bayonetta or DMC 3 or Ninja Gaiden Black but it'll probably be okay in it's own right. And that's fine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

People's livelihood or lives shouldn't be destroyed over this game. I'm sure you'd all agree that's a childish attitude to have.

I don't think this game will top Bayonetta or DMC 3 or Ninja Gaiden Black but it'll probably be okay in it's own right. And that's fine.

If and when Ninja Theory sinks, it won't be because of this game. It'll be because their development history consists of basic and clumsily executed titles that banked on their mocap engine and nothing else. They're all sizzle and no steak, which leads to me to think they only got ahold of this IP in the first place because Capcom tossed it at them before realizing what a bomb Enslaved was.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

It's one thing bitching about a game, and the choices made for it, but death threats to the people working on it? Urgh, idiotic zealotry!

No that shocking, when Kojima said he wanted to stop after Metal Gear Solid 2 he received death threats. Some fans are just retarded.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I actually remember people being fairly positive about Enslaved when it was first hitting, what was so terrible about it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I actually remember people being fairly positive about Enslaved when it was first hitting, what was so terrible about it?

A game that comes as close to playing itself as you can get without being a point-and-click (the battle engine is basically Beyond Good & Evil's with a few extra gimmicks and the platforming literally doesn't allow you to fall most of the time), the plot starts off fairly unremarkable, gets aggravating with the addition of Pigsy, and goes completely loving sideways in the final act, and the much-vaunted overgrown city environments give way to a lot of brown-gray junkyards sooner than you'd like. It was less game, more tech demo. Also I heard there was a serious delay between button press and reaction for a lot of people, but don't recall experiencing it myself.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
It might be because I'm a n00b scrub who never played DMC before 4, but I think I preferred Nero's style. Dante's was just too complex to master without putting in thesis-grade levels of study.

I'm liking the new look, but I'm not sure, it seems like a strange combination between DMC and Half-life 2.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

Also I heard there was a serious delay between button press and reaction for a lot of people, but don't recall experiencing it myself.

This cannot be stressed enough. Enslaved had a visible one second lag between when you'd press the button and when the action would perform; you can see it for youself if you download the demo off of XBL/PSN.

I mean, it didn't affect anything, because you literally couldn't fail at the platforming and the combat was QTEs: The Combat System, but still.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 7, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

It might be because I'm a n00b scrub who never played DMC before 4, but I think I preferred Nero's style. Dante's was just too complex to master without putting in thesis-grade levels of study.

I'm liking the new look, but I'm not sure, it seems like a strange combination between DMC and Half-life 2.

Nero was simple but he still had a fair bit of depth to him, it just relied more around mastering the gimmicks he had (and the Exceed system) compared to Dante's switching-between-stuff. It doesn't really make you a n00b scrub, he's still fun and interesting to play, just for different reasons than Dante.

My only real complaint is that a lot of his upgrades were really boring instead of neat new abilities. A lot of them just functioned as keys instead of actual combat-use powers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing about Nero is that he had as many moves as Dante did, he just didn't need to switch styles for them. I actually preferred Nero to Dante a lot of the times.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Alteisen posted:

The thing about Nero is that he had as many moves as Dante did, he just didn't need to switch styles for them. I actually preferred Nero to Dante a lot of the times.

I like using Nero more just because he has a reliable, easy way to kill blitzes (blitzen?) I know Dante can use RG to absorb their shocks, but I could never get the timing of it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Minor info from Official Xbox Magazine:

quote:

Playing as the son of the legendary devil, Sparda, DMC's story has always been a guilty pleasure. Creating the angst of an unrefined devil-bastard without resorting to cliche is a task few developers could handle.

Having seen [Ninja Theory]'s subtlety with Enslaved, we're confident it isn't going to fluff it, and it's using the same performance capture smarts (recorded at the Hollywood studio used by [James Cameron's] Avatar) it brought to its previous game.

Why are they bringing angst to perhaps one of the least angsty characters in games? Sake of drama perhaps?

The article continues:

quote:

"If we do out jobs right, the story and character performances should be strong enough to hold up to CG movies, never mind video games" says Antoniades.

The studio's flair for story and art is what attracted Capcom in the first place, although Antoniades is keen to stress the combat remains crucial.
The team is collaborating with series veteran Hideaki Itsuno and has gained "alot of insider knowledge" on the intricacies of Capcom's combat system.

"Technical, fluid combat with depth is one of the key pillars of the DMC series, and as such is right at the top of our list of priorities", he continues.

Despite being given access to information regarding "Capcom's combat system", it appears that they're still sticking with 30FPS, but:

quote:

A speedy framerate is all important to Dante, and it's "something we're determined to achieve." says Antoniades, "however, having said that, we're doing things with the visuals and a dynamic world in DmC: Devil May Cry that haven't been done in any DMC before."

Ninja Theory is doing input analyisis using in-house tech to make Dante as responsive as possible.

Meaningful meaningless words. Views?

[e]: Likewise, considering how important this "plot" is, they sure haven't said alot of things about it. It took them long enough to reveal that this takes place as like an alternative universe type place, rather than being part of the "regular" canon.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 9, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The constant focus on "OUR PLOT" is never going to stop making me lack confidence.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Why are they bringing angst to perhaps one of the least angsty characters in games? Sake of drama perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk

I've said it before in this thread, but I feel it bears repeating: If the gameplay in this is solid, I can just pretend in my mind that this is a completely different IP and DMC is instead short for a game called "Don't Murder Children", in which there is no child murder from the protagonist.

Edit: Also, I wound up buying DMC4 again for PC during the steam sale just so I could try out legendary dark knight mode and I've forgotten how much I've disliked Nero.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Touche. Except I'd argue that "Fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiigggghhhhhttt!" is more melodrama than angst. :colbert:

I know, I know, that's not the point you were making, but it still frustrates me that they go out of their way to mention it, and I'm finding it hard to try to disconnect this Dante, from the regular Dante. :sigh:

"Ninja Theory presents: DmC: Debbie makes Cakes - Play as Debbie, a half-demon, half-angel and use your devil-slaying powers to free Limbo from..."

Is it Nero's playstyle you aren't liking?

• Locked thread