Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

gently caress, kind of cool techno club stuff, gently caress, new screamo music
It's the same song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Same. Old. poo poo.

Tameem interview:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-dmc-devil/731027

This is literally the exact same stuff they've been parroting for months and months.

New poo poo.

Gameplay Footage (auf deutsch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sK4MhRSh-io

With the bug-monster boss. And it looks as slow as gently caress.

[e]: And here is apparently the logo for "The Order":

How subtle of them, if this is genuine.

Jesus. loving. Christ.

:ughh:

It's trying to be so hip and cool and modern, but it's really like a forty year old Dad trying so desperately to be down with the kids at a disco, that it's just a big loving embarrassment. Goddamn. :psyduck:

What's next? Dante tweeting a lolcat to Mundus?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 5, 2012

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I had very low expectations for this game from the get go, yet everything I see still manages to disappoint. It's quite incredible.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Exmond posted:

And you play the Devil May Cry games for their writing..

Yes because a game that is so lovely that they have to say "gently caress" and "poo poo" every other word makes me think the game is really awesome. Because its so cool and edgy to use swears.

To me that just says to me that the game is bad and they're just padding it with swears to get the dumb edgy crowd. Which tells me the game is not going to be very good!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
My name, by the way, is Dante, but you can call me Dante the Demon Killer. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

:barf:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
If the best they have to offer in terms of gameplay is that stale fart of a trailer then it looks like this game is gonna be pretty boring. The sword air combo is so slow. Also "A Combo Rank = Anarchic"? GTFO Ninja Theory.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Also "A Combo Rank = Anarchic"? GTFO Ninja Theory.

I suddenly lost all interest in even looking at the trailer. :smith:

Please let this end up being some New Coke-style advertising plot for DMC5.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That cringe-worthy Not-Fox news website has updated itself:

PANIC AT THE DISCO! posted:

Breaking: Terrorist Attacks Night Club; 72 Injured, 18 Dead

All hell broke loose last night when a hostile terrorist, armed with firearms and a sword, wreaked havoc on hundreds of innocent civilians at popular downtown club Devil’s Dalliance. One witness that escaped the horror told Raptor News that the assailant mercilessly picked off clubbers as they begged for their lives, with one 18 year old girl brutally slain as she knelt praying.

This latest strike is one of the worst in recent times, with Raptor News able to confirm a death toll so far of 18 with a further 72 seriously injured. The attack is the latest attempt by the terrorist organization “The Order” to bring our god fearing society to its knees through violence; with the source of inspiration seemingly being the extremist preachings of a masked mad man.

Although no suspects have been arrested, CCTV footage of the events, too gruesome to broadcast, clearly show the attacker known only as “Dante” beating security staff before ripping through the dance floor with his weapons. Police describe Dante as “a cold-blooded individual with a history of murder and sexual depravity who must be stopped at all costs.” Silver Sacks CEO Kyle Ryder continues to offer a $1 million reward for information that leads to the capture, dead or alive, of public enemy No.1 Dante or anyone affiliated with The Order.

And another lovely marketing website:
http://theorderblog.net/

Not-Anonymous posted:

Demons. We have a new weapon.
And he is coming for you.

Citizens. Face your demons.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 5, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ChewyLSB posted:

Yes because a game that is so lovely that they have to say "gently caress" and "poo poo" every other word makes me think the game is really awesome. Because its so cool and edgy to use swears.

To me that just says to me that the game is bad and they're just padding it with swears to get the dumb edgy crowd. Which tells me the game is not going to be very good!

This is still what blows my mind the most out of all this. Why in gods name did Ninja Theory sit down and go "Gee everyone loves DMC's combat and couldn't care less about the story.. I KNOW LETS MAKE THIS DMC FOCUS HEAVILY ON THE STORY AND JUST WING THE COMBAT!"

Nobody ever cared about the story what is wrong with you guyyyyyyss.....

:negative:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Given some of Capcom's recent decisions, I'm just glad that we are getting a new Devil May Cry game. Compared to what Mega Man fans have to put up with, I'd prefer a new game, weird as it may be, over none at all.

When I play this, I'll just pretend that the character being called Dante is just a coincidence.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

randombattle posted:

This is still what blows my mind the most out of all this. Why in gods name did Ninja Theory sit down and go "Gee everyone loves DMC's combat and couldn't care less about the story.. I KNOW LETS MAKE THIS DMC FOCUS HEAVILY ON THE STORY AND JUST WING THE COMBAT!"

Nobody ever cared about the story what is wrong with you guyyyyyyss.....

From what's been showcased so far, I don't know how they're "winging" the combat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

From what's been showcased so far, I don't know how they're "winging" the combat.

Everything we've seen seems to imply slow and fairly limited combat. They've honestly gone out of their way to show anything in-depth or interesting about the combat, focusing either on the tutorial (which was slow and uninteresting, but it's a tutorial) or the storyline. If they had actual in-depth combat I'd really feel like they would have given us more by now. Even early DMC3 trailers were like "Yeah, we've got a plo... LOOK AT ALL OUR WEAPONS AND COMBOS."

We keep seeing the same similar-looking action sequences in brief snippets. Show up something from at least the midgame and make it look good and suddenly people will have their concerns alleviated. If they're worried more about spoilers than making their game look good, well, that makes their priorities clear.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 6, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Demo at 4 hours 54 mins
http://e3.gamespot.com/live-show/

Summation:

* Vitality drink is literally Slurm from Futurama, right down to coming from the end of a slug monster. Hurray for originality!
* SOCIAL SATIRE SEE HOW MODERN AND HIP AND COOL WE ARE :smug:
* gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU! NO gently caress YOUUUUUU! *vomits*
* The combat is slow. As. gently caress.
* The combat looks easy. As. poo poo.
* The combat looks clunky. As. Hell.
* "So you're hoping this will have the amazing combat the series has, combined with your story telling".
* "We wanted Dante to be unpolished. He's young, a little unpolished" (in regards to character).
* The lack of a lock on target seems to be causing difficulties for whoever is playing this, they seem to be missing the mark quite a lot.
* Devil Trigger looks poo poo.
* Weapon/Ability upgrades will become available during the game.
* "Combat system has depth" (none of which is loving shown during the video)
* Made it so that expert players can play it, but not scaring away casual players.
* "All our bosses are pretty epic, so if anything [the bug boss] is at the shallower end of the pool" :smug:
* Bug boss is named "Poison".

And this boss section is a 1/3 of the way through the game. This is what the combat will be like for the majority of it.

ABANDON ALL HOPE!

Urgh. I've gone through cycles of disliking the game, feeling optimistic it'll work, disliking it even more, thinking that maybe it won't turn out to be so bad, and now I'm right back to really disliking it. Urgh...

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 6, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"This isn't going to be like DMC3! I mean, that was impossible!"

Welp. That says about all I really needed to know right there.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Did I hear them right? That's the first boss and it's about a third of the way through the game?

That's worrying. I take that to mean there are either very few bosses or it is a very short game.

I don't think any previous game took more than maybe 20 minutes to get you to the first boss.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I bet that whoever's demonstrating that game is still fighting that boss.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You know, when you think about the development history of Ninja Theory this is hardly a surprise.

2003- Kung Fu Chaos --> A lovely "party" game for XBox.

2007- Heavenly Sword --> A clunky (if pretty) action-brawler with a novel control scheme that involved holing different triggers to activate different combat stances. Fun enough, but tedious compared to superior, more aggressive action games.

2010- Enslaved: Odyssey To The West --> A game with a beautiful art style, great graphics, an engaging storyline, and likeable characters. Unfortunately the combat is basically "QTE: The Game". The game is rewarding enough overall to warrant one slog through, though.

Point being, I don't know what the FUUUUCK (<--See how edgy and clever I am NT? Hire me.) Capcom was thinking handing the development of a game known and loved for its tight action to a developer who has demonstrated that they don't do action. All of their games worth playing are really carried by their narrative and visual design. Furthermore, DMC games don't even lend themselves to particularly fascinating narratives- they tend to be at about the level of a Motörhead music video. And that's fine- that's what I bloody want, dammit! I'm not looking for a story when I play a DMC game, much less a hammy-hamfisted attempt at being subversive/edgy. I'm hoping the game just bombs at this point so Capcom doesn't pull this bullshit again.

Of course, I could be wrong about the whole deal and they're just withholding the actual gameplay? Seems like a bad hype move if that's true though... sorry for rambling.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 6, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Of course, I could be wrong about the whole deal and they're just withholding the actual gameplay? Seems like a bad hype move if that's true though... sorry for rambling.

This is the most worrying thing. The biggest drat fear of everyone involved is "this gameplay is going to be lovely." They keep saying "No, we know the gameplay is going to be good, we swear," and then they've shown us:

A) A tutorial
B) A pretty lackluster boss fight
C) A few out of context clips which tend to be focused on a few repetitive moves.

All they have to do, literally all they have to do, is show a good, engaging, interesting combat sequence. Just one. That will alleviate a lot of concerns, or at least prove certain fears unfounded.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

ImpAtom posted:

This is the most worrying thing. The biggest drat fear of everyone involved is "this gameplay is going to be lovely." They keep saying "No, we know the gameplay is going to be good, we swear," and then they've shown us:

A) A tutorial
B) A pretty lackluster boss fight
C) A few out of context clips which tend to be focused on a few repetitive moves.

All they have to do, literally all they have to do, is show a good, engaging, interesting combat sequence. Just one. That will alleviate a lot of concerns, or at least prove certain fears unfounded.

I mean this is one of the biggest concerns right. I feel like with DMC3 they talked a shitload about the four styles and how it was going to bring DMC back to its roots. And with DMC4 they talked a lot about the Devil Bringer and how that would add a new dimension to combat as well as on the fly style switching.

With DmC they've basically said "No trust us the combat is totally deep".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we've basically been watching the same gameplay trailer for months now- I doubt they've got anything else at this point. E3 would be the place to drop the Oh Snap gameplay trailer that just blows everyone away- this isn't real encouraging.

ChewyLSB posted:

With DmC they've basically said "No trust us the combat is totally deep".

While constantly running their hype-holes about how amaaaaaaazing the story is. And we all see how that's turning out.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 6, 2012

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is what they should have aimed for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ogAACj5EE

DMC is all about that^. The grandeur of the ham and the majesty of the corn.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Demo at 4 hours 54 mins
http://e3.gamespot.com/live-show/

Summation:

* Vitality drink is literally Slurm from Futurama, right down to coming from the end of a slug monster. Hurray for originality!
* SOCIAL SATIRE SEE HOW MODERN AND HIP AND COOL WE ARE :smug:
* gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU! NO gently caress YOUUUUUU! *vomits*
* The combat is slow. As. gently caress.
* The combat looks easy. As. poo poo.
* The combat looks clunky. As. Hell.
* "So you're hoping this will have the amazing combat the series has, combined with your story telling".
* "We wanted Dante to be unpolished. He's young, a little unpolished" (in regards to character).
* The lack of a lock on target seems to be causing difficulties for whoever is playing this, they seem to be missing the mark quite a lot.
* Devil Trigger looks poo poo.
* Weapon/Ability upgrades will become available during the game.
* "Combat system has depth" (none of which is loving shown during the video)
* Made it so that expert players can play it, but not scaring away casual players.
* "All our bosses are pretty epic, so if anything [the bug boss] is at the shallower end of the pool" :smug:
* Bug boss is named "Poison".

And this boss section is a 1/3 of the way through the game. This is what the combat will be like for the majority of it.

ABANDON ALL HOPE!

Urgh. I've gone through cycles of disliking the game, feeling optimistic it'll work, disliking it even more, thinking that maybe it won't turn out to be so bad, and now I'm right back to really disliking it. Urgh...

I cannot abandon hope I never had. :smith:

So I guess it turns out every single thing everyone was worried about turned out to be absolutely true and these guys can't figure out DMC worth a poo poo..

Maybe I should just be glad I never got my hopes up for this... :gbsmith:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That boss fight seems pretty standard for DMC bosses, I just hate its screeching voice. The combat speed looks to be about the same speed as DMC4. Go back and replay that game if you don't believe me, it's practically sluggish unless you turn on turbo. I hope this game has a turbo mode.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
You know who's good at aping the style of Japanese games and not being terrible? The Dead Rising 2 guys. They should be making this instead. Maybe they can make DMC5?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

You know who's good at aping the style of Japanese games and not being terrible? The Dead Rising 2 guys. They should be making this instead. Maybe they can make DMC5?

Don't do that. Those games are fun but the actual combat is beyond awful. And the shooting is the clumsiest thing ever. Great design in those games but terrible gameplay.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The shooting in DR2 was improved to the point of occasionally being useful, and I imagine the only reason it was still bad in the first place was because it was trying to be like DR1

Hence; good at aping a style

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

I don't know why, but Dante's voice acting really grated on my nerves in this trailer. Like, if they wanted to go for a younger Dante approach, why not use Johnny Yong Bosch like they did with Nero? The guy they chose was dealing with atrocious lines ("I am Dante, but you can call me Dante the Demon-hunter") and I don't think anyone could've done it well, but maybe the could have made it tolerable.

Combat still looks lovely as ever, Capcom should've just outsourced it to Platinum Games, given that that studio has shown consistently great gameplay in their games. Though Capcom have been making batshit choices for years now, so who knows what's up with handing this off to Ninja Theory.

I'll probably rent this just to see how bad the story is and then forget about it forever.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Main US site is up.

http://www.devilmaycry.com/index.php

It only has a trailer.

Stream of Demo is up now:
http://pt-br.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/320560252

Summation:
* Freedom Fighters/terrorist poo poo.

* Dante not actually a sexual deviant. :rolleyes:

* Bobbing camera.

* Gimmick enemies.

* Green orbs appear.

* Story is done - focusing on the combat until release.

* Vergil is neither confirmed or denied.

* No exact date for PC release.

* Kat is a "stencil artist witch", and can create portals for Dante back into the real world.

Controls:

*Combat still looks clunky as poo poo. QTEs aren't there, but the angel/demon chain things might as well be QTEs. They didn't want QTEs or to resemble God of War.

* HUD is not finalised.

* NO TAUNT BUTTON! :argh:

* PC specs not decided yet. Will be available for Xbox and PS3.

* More guns.

* Idea of Limbo comes from "They live", and from time immemorial. *cough*Mysteriousdestiny*cough*

* Theme and concept of "rebellion". That is to say, rebellion against the establishment. It's also why street art is a big influence of the design. WE'RE HIP AND COOL I PROMISE :corsair:

* Varying difficulties.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 6, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is what they should have aimed for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ogAACj5EE

DMC is all about that^. The grandeur of the ham and the majesty of the corn.

This is still one of the best cutscenes in any video game I've played. It's like Dante finally found someone that's willing to ham it up like he does, and he rises to the challenge and beyond.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Two Evade buttons? They serious had a completely unused button just sittin' there, waiting for a lockon, and they slapped a function on it that they already had a button for? I cannot think of a single reason you'd need two buttons for Evade. Does the Left Bumper make you dodge left and the right one goes right? That sounds completely retarded, so I doubt that's the reason.

The stupid half angel/half demon thing still only makes me think of that one horrible Painkiller expansion made from some dude's fanfic.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I really liked the enemy designs of DMC4. They were interesting, weird, and could look pretty intimidating, and they were also designed by the dude who art directed the breath of fire games. The enemies in this look like wannabe silent hill baddies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Two Evade buttons? They serious had a completely unused button just sittin' there, waiting for a lockon, and they slapped a function on it that they already had a button for? I cannot think of a single reason you'd need two buttons for Evade. Does the Left Bumper make you dodge left and the right one goes right? That sounds completely retarded, so I doubt that's the reason.

The stupid half angel/half demon thing still only makes me think of that one horrible Painkiller expansion made from some dude's fanfic.

Probably for additional comfort since dodge is such an important button.

.. as opposed to customization, I guess, invalidating the need for two of the same.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yeah Bro posted:

Combat still looks lovely as ever, Capcom should've just outsourced it to Platinum Games, given that that studio has shown consistently great gameplay in their games. Though Capcom have been making batshit choices for years now, so who knows what's up with handing this off to Ninja Theory.

Call of Duty.

No really, it's Call of Duty's fault. Lots of Japanese publishers have been very open about giving franchises to American developers because of the massive numbers American developers can move. CoD set the bar crazy high and now a lot of publishers seem to think as long as they give it to an American company, regardless of the company's previous success rate, that they can get close to the new bar.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I read some pages of this thread, and I can't believe some people actually like what they are seeing. I mean, different strokes for different folks, but wow. I didn't think anyone liked this piece of poo poo "reboot". Huh.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dead Man Posting posted:

I read some pages of this thread, and I can't believe some people actually like what they are seeing. I mean, different strokes for different folks, but wow. I didn't think anyone liked this piece of poo poo "reboot". Huh.

It might be a good game.
Just not a good DMC game.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

It might be a good game.

I can't even believe it'll be a good game since its being made by Ninja Theory.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dead Man Posting posted:

There are things to like, the visuals, mostly. And, if the the game wasn't labelled as DMC, but a new IP, we wouldn't be anywhere near as harsh on it.
But, because it is a DMC game, we judge it in comparison to the other DMC games, and Bayonetta.

Is that fair? I'd say so. Would it be a good game if the DMC names were filed off? Probably, but in regards to how it compares...well, let's just say it looks like it's shaping up to be a bad DMC game.

And really, the way it was marketed has had a really big impact of the initial reception. That very first trailer, they released...well, they certainly got off on the wrong foot and the wrong tone.

And then they continued with slight digs at the other games, and then made the suicidal mistake of comparing it to Bayonetta. All the while promising things like a mature story, and blah blah blah. And then they revealed the most hilariously juvenile fan-fictionesque levels of bad writing and tonally inappropriate attempts at social commentary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It might be a good game.

I think it might be a perfectly mediocre action/platformer but man, those things are a dime a dozen. After Ninja Gaiden 3 was a gigantic pile of poo poo and Bayonetta's sequel appears to be nonexistent/cancelled, DMC is all we had left. :smith: Maybe Metal Gear Rising...

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think it might be a perfectly mediocre action/platformer but man, those things are a dime a dozen. After Ninja Gaiden 3 was a gigantic pile of poo poo and Bayonetta's sequel appears to be nonexistent/cancelled, DMC is all we had left. :smith: Maybe Metal Gear Rising...

Metal Gear Rising is basically Bayonetta 2 at this point. Raiden has execution moves and everything now.

Plus there is Anarchy Rains so the world is not lost for Bayonetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Clearly Platinum Games needs to reboot Bayonetta and outsource it to a western developer. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread