Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Pretty much everyone in DMC is fairly ridiculous. I mean both Trish and Lady can do some crazy poo poo, but it's overshadowed by the fact Dante is generally right there with them doing stuff that makes it look tame.

The man ran down a tower wall so fast he caught up to his bullets and started to burn up. Sort of overshadows most human feats, no matter how spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Well, Lady does make it pretty far up the tower in DMC3 and she's human. I don't remember if you see her pull off the same kind of super crazy that Dante does, though. I never played it and it's been a long time since I saw AccountingNightmare's LP.

Lady juggle-reloads pistols and has an honest-to-God rocket jump as a basic combat tactic. Her cutscenes in DMC3 were by far the game's best.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

It's effectively a parry mechanic. If you master it you can do ridiculous damage while negating pretty much every attack in the game.
Also instantly cancel anything.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

notZaar posted:

Speaking of LP, I hope AccountingNightmare continues her DMC4 LP someday soon.

I want to get back to it someday, as I really hate leaving it sitting around unfinished. Right now I'm going through some really nasty RL stuff, so I can only hope that things settle down in the future and that I can start dedicating time to it again. I actually haven't played the game in quite a while, so I'd need to restart practicing as Dante all over again. So it won't be soon, but I have hopes I will finish it one day.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

AccountingNightmare posted:

I want to get back to it someday, as I really hate leaving it sitting around unfinished. Right now I'm going through some really nasty RL stuff, so I can only hope that things settle down in the future and that I can start dedicating time to it again. I actually haven't played the game in quite a while, so I'd need to restart practicing as Dante all over again. So it won't be soon, but I have hopes I will finish it one day.

I hope whatever it is works itself out! Your LP's were always amazing to watch, and the game isn't going anywhere so, in your own time! I'm looking forward to seeing the next installment, whenever that may be.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

DMC2's awful writing was mentioned earlier, but I do want to stress that its best line is "King? Yeah, here's your crown. *bang*"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Schubalts posted:

Well, Lady does make it pretty far up the tower in DMC3 and she's human. I don't remember if you see her pull off the same kind of super crazy that Dante does, though. I never played it and it's been a long time since I saw AccountingNightmare's LP.

I would say Lady is even a better gunslinger than Dante, just going by pure ability (though I guess she probably couldn't stack 4 bullets on the hilt of a samurai sword from a hundred yards, so maybe not). She also doesn't have magical infinite ammo guns or super healing, so it's more impressive to see her hold her own in a gunfight.

AccountingNightmare posted:

Well I hope things turn sunny and you get the itch again. I always enjoy both your skillful playing and interesting commentary.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

wildzero posted:

DMC2's awful writing was mentioned earlier, but I do want to stress that its best line is "King? Yeah, here's your crown. *bang*"

The line preceding that is comedy gold too:

"OOoaoaoaoaoh! Ai was going to be KEEENG of this world!"

Related to that, even though Dante never says a word during the fight against the Despair Embodied, its death scene is pretty great.

[e]: And it's the first time I've noticed it, but Lady has scars all over her arms and legs.

Wonder if they would have attempted to explain it in that abandoned manga.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 13, 2012

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

I'd hazard a guess at it being a result from going toe to toe against demon hordes without demonic regeneration powers.

On a slightly off-topic note, is there any word on there being a Bayonetta 2 sometime in the near future? I need my stylish fighting game fix and I've already exhausted the few titles that currently exist and am not exactly longing for DmC any time soon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There was an uncomfirmed rumour (as far as I know) that SEGA had cancelled it, even though Bayonetta 2 has never been offically announced. They did cancel some other games in development though.

All that is currently know is:
"The game was to include a new character, in the form of a member of the US military."

There's still hope yet, that Platinum games will be able to make a sequel, they've said they'd like to.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Platinum Games haven't had an easy life and I don't understand why. Their games are popular and have a sort of cult following, yet their publishers always dick them over.

I hope they make it, I really do.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think they are doing okay. Revengeance had some audience reception issues but I think people are warming up to it. Nintendo is giving them a shot at the Wii U, plus they just launched Max Anarchy in Japan.
They stick to their guns which I can respect. They won't ever find a huge audience in the West, but I like them just fine for what they are.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I must be the only person who loves DMC but was only lukewarm about Bayonetta. I didn't even beat the whole game on normal, the missions were super long and it was becoming really annoying to beat the levels without using continues or items.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Balobam posted:

Platinum Games haven't had an easy life and I don't understand why. Their games are popular and have a sort of cult following, yet their publishers always dick them over.

I hope they make it, I really do.

You know, you could replace "Platinum Games" here with "Obsidian Entertainment" and it would still make sense.

It's almost eerie: they're both cult-hit developers who get screwed often by publishers, but everything else about them are mirrors of the other. OE is known for great storytelling but middling gameplay, PG is the opposite. OE has one original IP game while everything else is part of a franchise, PG is the opposite. Creepy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
If I had to say anything bad about Bayonetta, it's that the biking section and the missle shooter stage go on for way too long, and even worse with the missle stage, is that they put one of the best boss battles at the end of it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 13, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I don't know what to tell you if you actually used items in Bayonetta. It's basically like using items in DMC. Also I can't really imagine a person who's good at DMC yet bad at Bayonetta, considering Bayo builds on so many of its concepts and improves on them lets go with exponentially while also making them more intuitive imo.

Guess the universe is full of surprises!

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Pesky Splinter posted:

If I had to say anything bad about Bayonetta, it's that the biking section and the missle shooter stage go on for way too long, and even worse with the missle stage, is that they put one of the best boss battles at the end of it.

Yeah I really hated those sections. They were super long and really dragged.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I don't know what to tell you if you actually used items in Bayonetta. It's basically like using items in DMC. Also I can't really imagine a person who's good at DMC yet bad at Bayonetta, considering Bayo builds on so many of its concepts and improves on them lets go with exponentially while also making them more intuitive imo.

Guess the universe is full of surprises!

I think the biggest barrier to me with Bayonetta was the lack of customizable controls. That really made the game ridiculously hard for me to play. And no, I didn't use items, of course I didn't like I said, it was just frustrating for me to try to get through a level without items or continues but the levels are each so loving long.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

My personal biggest gripe with it is the dedicated dodge button, not only am I not fond of it, but it's also on the same side as the ever important lock on button AND the same side as all the attack buttons.

That of course means I need to have two fingers atop the right hand side of the controller over both triggers and my thumb on the buttons. It's incredibly cramped, especially on the already fairly small dualshock control which my hand sized hands do not get on with at the best of times.

I didn't really get on with it on the 360 control either since it was just uncomfy to have that many fingers on the control at once.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

I think they are doing okay. Revengeance had some audience reception issues but I think people are warming up to it. Nintendo is giving them a shot at the Wii U, plus they just launched Max Anarchy in Japan.
They stick to their guns which I can respect. They won't ever find a huge audience in the West, but I like them just fine for what they are.

It's interesting to see the parallels between MGS: Revengeance and DmC: Devil May Cry, both having new developers working on the series and both working closely with the original developers (NT with Capcom, PG with Konami), and people are/were up in arms about the changes being brought to both series: the look of DmC and the action of MGS (as opposed to stealth).

The difference is, of course, PG knows how to make a combat system.

Balobam posted:

My personal biggest gripe with it is the dedicated dodge button, not only am I not fond of it, but it's also on the same side as the ever important lock on button AND the same side as all the attack buttons.

That of course means I need to have two fingers atop the right hand side of the controller over both triggers and my thumb on the buttons. It's incredibly cramped, especially on the already fairly small dualshock control which my hand sized hands do not get on with at the best of times.

I didn't really get on with it on the 360 control either since it was just uncomfy to have that many fingers on the control at once.

It would have been nice to give the option to change the control layout, yeah. It doesn't bother me personally, since I normally stick to default in most games anyway, but having the option to space or reassign the buttons would have made some parts of it more managable.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I never had a problem with the controls. I was grateful for the ability to change buttons in DMC 4 considering the initial controls are terrible for Nero, since you can't maintain bullet charge during combos without clawing your hands on the buttons, so yeah sure put custom controls in the drat thing. I also never used the lock-on function in Bayo, since so many strings have launch properties anyway and the soft lock is really good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm a God.

Games forum really needs a Wesker themed smilie just to drive the comedy home. Also NotZaar gets it.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 13, 2012

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Personally I don't think modern games should ever not have customizable controls, its just such an insult when games don't. Its actually super hard for me to play DMC1 nowadays but that games kind of old so I can kind of excuse it not having customizable controls?

But Bayonetta really doesn't have an excuse.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Balobam posted:

If you are locked on you don't need to press the trigger to dodge, just press jump (exactly like in DMC.) That feature was put into the game precisely to prevent the player from having to use both triggers.
Personally I prefer playing Bayonetta using the soft lock-on only, sort of like Ninja Gaiden. You don't have to manually lock on to anything to pull off any move.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Wait, does Witch Time still activate if you dodge like that?

I swear when I was playing it the jump button just made me jump even when locked on. Gonna try this out now, actually.

Edit:Well I'll be damned. Thank you for that fantastic piece of information, you've just breathed new life into this game for me. How I didn't know this is beyond me.

Double Edit: Turns out, going back into this game after not playing it for quite a while and having to fight Grace & Glory in a "No Witch Time" zone whilst not remembering any combo is a horrible thing.

Balobam fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Of all the games this website chooses as a best action game...it chooses DmC.

http://www.psu.com/a015732/E3-2012-Awards--Best-Action-Game

Videogame journalism, everyone! :suicide:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PSU posted:

Bottom line: Devil May Cry 4 was a disappointment; DmC might be the best thing to happen to the series since. Oh, and it wins best action game because there simply was no game at E3 2012 with that much action in it. Dante is just as much of a bad-rear end as he ever was -- he's just more believable now.

So what they're saying is they think DmC is better than DMC4. I think we can just safely ignore everything they have to say. Splinter, stop posting infuriating news tidbits! :argh:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Splinter, stop posting infuriating news tidbits! :argh:

I'm sorry, it's a crippling addiction :negative:

Just be thankful I don't post that many comments from either Ninja Theory's DMC forums or the DMC.org forums, and just stick the headlines.

Par exemple:

quote:

[Revengeance] dosent look half bad. DmC looks far better though. mainly because the MGS environments are a bland greyish real world warzones. there seems to be more exploration in there. and of course the whole bisecting things. it looks like a good game tbh, but an excellent game, i'm not so sure.

and of course the whole Angel/Demon thing seems to change things up completely. its the answer to the interlinking of style moves from DMC3/4 into one unified control setup. and i suppose its a natural progression from Heavenly Sword, which had a good combat system, but it was lacking in several places.

God of War Ascension looked very good as well, but of course that game is more about brutality than style. so while its a compitent action game in its own right, i think DmC is a bit too different to compare directly. i actully enjoyed God of War 1 and 2 much more than any DMC game, but that was becasue of the story and design of Ancient Greece. this game will no doubt trump God of War becuase i've never quite seen a game designed like this.

[e]: HAHA! I can see it in my mind's eye.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 13, 2012

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

I cannot even articulate myself.

Here's a picture.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Balobam posted:

Wait, does Witch Time still activate if you dodge like that?

I swear when I was playing it the jump button just made me jump even when locked on. Gonna try this out now, actually.

Edit:Well I'll be damned. Thank you for that fantastic piece of information, you've just breathed new life into this game for me. How I didn't know this is beyond me.

Double Edit: Turns out, going back into this game after not playing it for quite a while and having to fight Grace & Glory in a "No Witch Time" zone whilst not remembering any combo is a horrible thing.

Equip double shotguns and introduce them to the Own Zone.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Since people are also talking Bayonetta here, do anyone know if it's still possible to get the FuturePress 400-pages Bayonetta guide? I can't find a site that still sells it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elswyyr posted:

Since people are also talking Bayonetta here, do anyone know if it's still possible to get the FuturePress 400-pages Bayonetta guide? I can't find a site that still sells it.

There's a few copies, but they're not cheap.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 13, 2012

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

There's a few on Amazon.co.uk if you're looking to spend £90/$140+shipping.

Or if you're German there's one for £27. Might potentially be dual-language since the spine has both English and German on it, but aside from speculation I have no clue as to what's on the pages.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Balobam posted:

I cannot even articulate myself.

Here's a picture.

I would play that :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Lady juggle-reloads pistols and has an honest-to-God rocket jump as a basic combat tactic. Her cutscenes in DMC3 were by far the game's best.

DMC3 was one long best cutscene actually, up until Bayonetta came out.

Seriously any DMC fans who haven't played Bayonetta yet (are there any?) Bayonetta is the real DMC5.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Eurogamer has a preview of the E3 demo up.

I wonder about the beginning of that preview. Would it even matter if Dante was gay? Would you notice? For all I know, he could be gay. All that matters to me is if he can kick monumental rear end, not which gender he prefers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Iacen posted:

Eurogamer has a preview of the E3 demo up.

I wonder about the beginning of that preview. Would it even matter if Dante was gay? Would you notice? For all I know, he could be gay. All that matters to me is if he can kick monumental rear end, not which gender he prefers.

Tameem, you sorry rear end bastard.
It's like he got a list of all the things considered 'rebellious' and tried to make dante fit into all of them. Then executed it badly.

Dante also has a soft spot for the ladies. See Trish, Lucia, Lady and strangely, Nevan.
And the lucifer weapon demo.

This can be shortened to "Tameem doesn't know where or what dante came from or is. He doesnt give a poo poo though."

I also thought that DMC3 was Dante's origin story? Where the hell does this fit in?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 14, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I also thought that DMC3 was Dante's origin story? Where the hell does this fit in?

Reboot. This is an alternate Dante and universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So that preview mentions that enemies grow more aggressive as you rank up "like Godhand" and also that your scythe gets more powerful as you fight without taking damage.

Does that mean the combo meter is more of a "did you fight without taking damage" meter compared to the stylish/variation focused combo bar of the previous games or is that just a poor description? Does that mean every fight begins as easy as possible?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

So that preview mentions that enemies grow more aggressive as you rank up "like Godhand" and also that your scythe gets more powerful as you fight without taking damage.

Does that mean the combo meter is more of a "did you fight without taking damage" meter compared to the stylish/variation focused combo bar of the previous games or is that just a poor description? Does that mean every fight begins as easy as possible?

If it works like God Hand then when a fight ends it keeps you at the previous level of style so the next fight starts at the difficulty the previous one ended on. Its a really neat trick for having a difficulty curve within a difficulty.

That said, God Hand made building that gauge stylish and awesome based on its amazing combat system which it doesn't sound like the new Devil May Cry has to back itself up with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

If it works like God Hand then when a fight ends it keeps you at the previous level of style so the next fight starts at the difficulty the previous one ended on. Its a really neat trick for having a difficulty curve within a difficulty.

That said, God Hand made building that gauge stylish and awesome based on its amazing combat system which it doesn't sound like the new Devil May Cry has to back itself up with.

Yeah, that is why the "like Godhand" description confuses me. There's nothing wrong with Godhand's system but it's pretty different from DMC's stylish system, and the few videos with the gauge seem to show it looking more like the old system. Just as described it sounds like it's the Godhand system but it resets every battle? I hope I'm misreading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Dante has never had a love interest so it wouldn't really matter if he was gay or not.

• Locked thread