Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Bayonetta sequel exists!...in Hideki Kamiya's mind. :sigh:

Remember that article a few pages back about him wanting to develop a Viewtiful Joe over a Bayonetta sequel? Well this is a rough idea of what he would like to do for a hypothetical sequel.

quote:

The Bayonetta 2 wheels are turning…but only in the mind of creator Hideki Kamiya for now.

In a recent interview with Famitsu, Kamiya disclosed that if he developed a sequel for the 2009 action game it would be a spin off made for handheld systems. Sadly, Kamiya didn’t elaborate on which portable system he may have in mind.

He did note that the game would star Jeanne ( Bayonetta’s rival ) and would be set in an Umbra Witches’ academy where she is a teacher, and to feature a lot of acrobatic “wire-action,” as well as RTS elements depicting battles between the armies of the Witches and the Lumen Sages.

He’s also considering a possible cameo of the character he helped popularize during his days at Capcom, Dante from Devil May Cry.

If all of this sounds like music to your eyes, you may want to slow your roll just a bit. Kamiya told the magazine that nothing has been finalized and that he’s still discussing the possibilities with producer Yusuke Hashimoto over beers on the bullet-train home.

What I would give to make this a reality. :allears:

Oh well.

[e]: Yeah. Like that image of Bayonetta 2, which was by him. Still, hope springs eternal.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You guys know Kamiya is a huge troll who loves to BS the press, right?

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Bayonetta sequel exists!

Why couldn't the sentence just stop there? :(

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
The gameplay in that little demo looks a little fun, until I sit back and remember that a lot of those moves require awkward combinations instead of just "hold lock on + back + attack," etc., and remain skeptical.

Also, those gauntlets he's wearing just look goofy. They're less "gauntlets" and more "elephantized fists." Also I've noticed that even if it takes the player a while to land a hit, the style meter stays at the same letter, instead of downgrading to a lower one. At least taking damage lowers it a bit, though.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 15, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The same thing happened in DMC4, IIRC: only taking a hit, or a really long rear end time between hitting someone lowers Style ranking. With the Chimera parasites and Shadows in the game, I can only thank God that they made it that way.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Vergil looks pretty cool and the new environment screenshots are fantastic. I'm psyched.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Not sure I'd go that far but yeah that last trailer was pretty good. I might consider picking up a copy when they get cheap instead of just renting if they keep on like this.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Box art reveal! And Pre-order bonus from Amazon! And the shotgun reveal.

Oh. :effort:

Well, at least it's better than the HD collection's cover.

And now for the Amazon bonus.

quote:

Transform Dante's shotgun, scythe and axe, into precison crafted "bone weapons".
Plus access to the "orb harvester" - upgrade and enhance Dante's weapons and combo perks faster!

Close-up of said weapons:

source:http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/blog/2012/08/16/the_official_dmc_ps3360_box_art_awaits_your_eyeballs

Yeah...I think I'll pass on the bone weapons.

[e]: I was hoping they'd use something a bit more fresh. It'll do though.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 17, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That's actually not a bad cover. None of the DMC box arts have been particularly good, and this one's just kind of par for the course.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The covers are rockin' that blue/orange contrast thing that movie posters love so much and the "bone" weapons look like untextured models. Laziest. Release. Ever.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I look at that cover and without looking at the title it could pass for The Crow reboot.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Not that I particularly care since I don't plan on buying it, but I don't see a PC version there. Is that a sign?

I'm pretty sure the reason behind Capcoms decent PC ports is because they make the game for the PC then port it over to consoles rather than the other way round (correct me if I'm wrong, though), but with NT at the wheel I'm curious what'll happen there.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gamescon 2012: DmC: Devil May Cry to get a sequel? posted:

The dust has barely settled since Capcom released a new trailer for DmC: Devil May Cry - now the game's producer as hinted at the possibility of a new franchise.

Speaking at Gamescom earlier today, the game's producer, Alex Jones, said: “Yeah, the story is Dante kind of finding his purpose. He’s on the margins of society at the start and he’s just kind of surviving, and then Vergil finds him.

“At first, just by offering him an opportunity for revenge, Dante then at least has some sort of a goal. As he moves deeper into the story he becomes more connected with the larger struggle it’s about him finding his place in the world.”

“Yeah, hopefully ‘balletic awesome poo poo’ will be one of their few takeaways from the game,” he continued.

“For the story, I hope it’s a satisfying story that resolves itself and potentially leaves people wanting to find out more about this world and what could come next.

“But yeah awesome balletic rear end-kicking was one of the main objectives.”

source:http://www.t3.com/news/gamescom-2012-dmc-devil-may-cry-gets-new-trailer

I think they're reading into what he's saying a bit too much. It's still way to early to tell.

Monkey Fracas posted:

The "bone" weapons look like untextured models.

Yeah, they don't look that great. The orb harvester thing is potentially good, though.

Balobam posted:

Not that I particularly care since I don't plan on buying it, but I don't see a PC version there. Is that a sign?

There is a PC port, apprently. It took them long enough to announce that fact, with them umming and arring over whether or not they would do it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The port probably won't be as good as DMC4's port. Capcom didn't let Ninja Theory touch the NT Framework, did they?

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Schubalts posted:

The port probably won't be as good as DMC4's port. Capcom didn't let Ninja Theory touch the NT Framework, did they?

From everything I've heard they're super protective of it and don't let any outside devs touch it, so all odds point to them not being allowed to use it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
GUYS!

Y'all need to shut the gently caress up, DmC is BETTER THAN EVER.

http://www.destructoid.com/gamescom-dmc-devil-may-cry-keeps-on-getting-better-233314.phtml

I for one am pumped, especially the platforming part, lord knows that's what DMC is known for.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Before I click that, and probably be the reason I will never click that, is it Jim Sterling?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Balobam posted:

Before I click that, and probably be the reason I will never click that, is it Jim Sterling?

No, some Corgi obsessed guy called Dale North.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well yeah, if your initial offering is mostly met with derision, then it can only get better!

I never really liked platforming sequences in action brawler games; there's that one mission in DMC3 with the wall/floor hazards and lovely camera angles inherited from Resident Evil that still pisses me off to this day, and I always end up taking Trickster since the airdash can help bail me out of taking a hit. It's like a legacy feature from those first 3D action-adventure games that never really died out.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Alteisen posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/gamescom-dmc-devil-may-cry-keeps-on-getting-better-233314.phtml

I for one am pumped, especially the platforming part, lord knows that's what DMC is known for.

OH GOD PLATFORMING :fap: And even better, sometimes you have to pull the platform towards you, because that's what people want from a DMC, wait, where are you going?

So of the comments are interesting. I'm still amazed that people can look at the story they've presented and not laugh at how terrible it is. And that's comparing it to the other DMC games, and the usual standard of videogame stories.

Like, it's worse than a 90s B-movie. It's pretty much every single melodramatic cliche or stereotype they could do, but played dead straight.

toasterwarrior posted:

I never really liked platforming sequences in action brawler games.

DMC4 had a few awkward platforming sections too - there's one where Nero has to stand on platforms, and wait for others to spawn while being attacked by some really annoying enemies, and it's basically padding.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

DMC4 had a few awkward platforming sections too - there's one where Nero has to stand on platforms, and wait for others to spawn while being attacked by some really annoying enemies, and it's basically padding.

Don't forget the sphere grabbing sequence over a pit that spawned enemies where the last set of spheres move out of range of each other. It wasn't tough but if you attempted to speed through it you would fail and end up redoing the whole section.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Looking at that boss fight video, this game definitely sucks as a Devil May Cry game.

However, holy poo poo, that boss fight is hilarious. I completely lost it when Not-Glenn Beck's quivering digitized jowls appeared, howling at Not-Dante like he was a Krispy Kreme donut.

The faces he made while fighting him were gold, too. The little orgasm face Not-Beck made, where his eyes rolled up into his head a bit before spewing lasers everywhere, was just icing on the proverbial cake.

Pity this isn't an original setting and game. I could see it being pretty entertaining as a parody of modern culture, given that they seem to be going that route.

Even if it is good, Ninja Theory's record isn't that good when it comes to making entertaining games on the gameplay front. So I doubt it'll take off given how many people they hacked off while making it. Plus, Devil May Cry was never much on social commentary, so I doubt that's going to work out too well for them.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 17, 2012

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Not only is it platforming, it's incredibly limited platforming. Every video I've seen (and I've seen them all) literally consists of the following platforming skills: Jump and airdash forward, jump and grapple hook. And considering how much platforming they've forced into this game, I hope you reallllly like jumping and airdashing forward!

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Look at that cool guy.

He doesn't look at explosions.

He just walks away...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I don't know why, but something about that cover makes me think it was made in Poser.

It's something about Not-Dante's face. It seems off compared to in-game shots of him.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

I didn't mind those parts, but I loving hated DMC4's platforming when it involved the grappling hook arm thing. I think God of War's platforming is, like, minimum benchmark for a brawler game. If you can't match that or do better, then don't even bother.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Yeah, it was pretty dreadful. Picking up enemies and smashing them into the ground, and throwing them around though? Totally worth the lovely grabby platforming. :)

Barudak posted:

Don't forget the sphere grabbing sequence over a pit that spawned enemies where the last set of spheres move out of range of each other. It wasn't tough but if you attempted to speed through it you would fail and end up redoing the whole section.

That one leading to the first fight with Sanctus? Yeah, that was pretty frustrating too. The really lovely thing in 4 though, was that they kept sticking in those dice rooms. Even knowing how to exploit them, it's not fun. And then the penultimate level is just them. Urgh. 4 had some really terrible design choices at times.

[e2]: Oh, wait, the room above the torture chamber? Yeah, that really sucks. I hate having to do then when replaying.

User0015 posted:

Not only is it platforming, it's incredibly limited platforming.

It's basically padding, and for them to try to force the player to use their backwards control-scheme outside of battle.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 17, 2012

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spiffo posted:

Look at that cool guy.

He doesn't look at explosions.

He just walks away...

I'm just surprised noone picked up on the blatant angel/demon wings of tarmac.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mmhmm, yes, they were too subtle. Should have gone with one angel wing and one demon wing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Archonex posted:

Pity this isn't an original setting and game. I could see it being pretty entertaining as a parody of modern culture, given that they seem to be going that route.

That's the thing. If this was just a brand new IP, we'd be nowhere near as harsh on it. And wouldn't be comparing it directly to the other games in the series, and Bayonetta.

It'd fit in that niche with things like Darksiders, and just be "an action game", not "DMC through the lens of Heavenly Sword".

Rigged Death Trap posted:

We're just speechless in awe of NT's lack of subtlety.

[e]: I've redesigned the cover taking into account the subtleties that NT has shown thus far:

Don't worry, NT, I'm available for work. :smug:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 17, 2012

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
If it were a new IP I'd be thinking "well here's a game that looks like some Dante's Inferno poo poo and that I will never ever buy or rent" as opposed to "oh it's a new Devil May Cry maybe I'll buy it when it's in the 10 dollar bin, 'cause it looks like it's gonna be pretty bad."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Some other guy playing the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1niIjJx3Ay8

Nothing that wasn't seen in the other video, just you can hear the music more in this one. And them allowing you to hear those music layers the more you spam your way to SSS rank.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Everything outside of the combo meter being piss-easy is looking absolutely fantastic, can't wait.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That didn't look all too bad, although I hope they at least include a Turbo mode like DMC3 and 4 had. I find it impossible to play those two without it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The enemy animations are pretty great - Dante's look really strange and goofy though.

I wish they'd release more info on the PC version. Literally all they've done is confirm one. And them getting to say that was like getting blood out of a stone.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, it looks like a competently-made action game, and something I'd definitely pick up at a discount. I'd have been more willing to pay the full price had it been in the style of the main series though, but we can't have everything.

I wonder sometimes if this is how MGS fans feel after seeing Revengeance...

vvv: Fair enough, comparing Platinum and Ninja Theory is going to be skewed, and there wasn't an absolute change of genre involved.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 18, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, it looks like a competently-made action game, and something I'd definitely pick up at a discount. I'd have been more willing to pay the full price had it been in the style of the main series though, but we can't have everything.

I wonder sometimes if this is how MGS fans feel after seeing Revengeance...

I am a massive MGS fan and I am hyped as gently caress for Revengeance because a)there's a proven developer behind it, b)it looks awesome as hell, and c)it isn't being made at the expense of MGS5 or whatever next Metal Gear game is coming down the pipe.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 18, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wish they'd release more info on the PC version. Literally all they've done is confirm one. And them getting to say that was like getting blood out of a stone.

Thankfully, Capcom has hired the experts behind Dark Souls' PC port to ensure that we all get an equal experience.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Woah. I had no idea MG:R even existed. Thanks DmC bitch thread for making my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Coughing Hobo posted:

That didn't look all too bad, although I hope they at least include a Turbo mode like DMC3 and 4 had. I find it impossible to play those two without it.

I haven't played a DMC (though I do have Bayonetta despite being godawful aw it), what exactly is turbo mode? Just making everything faster?

Also, I remember there being a Bayonetta thread here but I don't see it, is it still alive and does anyone have a link to it? I want to read through to figure out how to stop sucking so much at it. Normal mode kicks my rear end and I'm using items all over the place, but easy mode feels too easy for me.

• Locked thread