Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They sort of touch on this in 3. He knows he's super human but doesn't discover his demonic nature until Vergil nearly kills him. Same as with Nero in 4.

Dante is also very much against demons and rejects his father in that game. Takes him a while to accept him.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

When/how did Old Dante realize he wasnt completely human? I dont seem to remember.

I would imagine it to go something like:
*Thing happens, proof Dante isnt 100% human.*
Dante: "Awesome."

Well he figures out he has Devil Trigger in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddD0wbXtYU

About 4:40 in

And then in the next cutscene he runs down that tower

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

My god, this loving video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93EnuEtmTg

Videogame journalism at its finest.

Did not realize that the background music in that video was in the game until he started praising it for being a "grimy glitchy trippy mess".

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Alacron posted:

So is this the part where we learn about Dante's horribly abusive childhood, and we get some flashbacks to him as a kid and in the present Dante sheds a single tear then dramatically wipes it away and says "Devil's never cry"

And then we all hate Ninja Theory a little bit more.

Hey look I get that we all loving hate DmC and Ninja Theory, but let's not forget that the closing cutscene in DMC3 was terrible too.

"Are you crying?"
"It's just the rain."
"I guess when it comes to the death of a family member...even a devil may cry."

I mean, then they shot some demons so it was good again, but that bit was played completely straight.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well he figures out he has Devil Trigger in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddD0wbXtYU

About 4:40 in

And then in the next cutscene he runs down that tower

That running down the tower scene is still one of the best things to come out of the entire series.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 6, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Something from TGS.

TGS Vid

It shows a previously unseen level - an inverted subway, dodging scowly-trains. And all the shades of grey you could ever want! Note the two-second cutscene when more enemies appear, and Dante does a dramatic turn. Thanks NT, DMC really needed that. :rolleyes:
It also shows some shotgun action.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I always figured the demon reveal would just be the "sword through chest" scene that happens all the time to Dante.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I always figured the demon reveal would just be the "sword through chest" scene that happens all the time to Dante.

At this point I figure that's just how he sleeps. Impaled on a giant sword hanging off whatever vertical surface he can find.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

Something from TGS.

TGS Vid

Despite some other problems, some of the design things look pretty cool- the lead up to and fight against Not-Bill O'Reilly at least looks distinctive and interesting. Think the game may warrant a playthrough just to see all the crazy environments they come up with.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 6, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Despite some other problems, some of the design things look pretty cool- the lead up to and fight against Not-Bill O'Reilly at least looks distinctive and interesting. Think the game may warrant a playthrough just to see all the crazy environments they come up with.

The Fox news level looks visually good, and the Tron nightclub level looks good also. If the rest of the levels have that sort of flair to them, it'll be interesting. As long as they don't give up half-way like they do with Enslaved - the intro; nice visuals, lots of colours (especially deep reds)...and then the latter half is pretty bland looking.

I just hope that the rest of the game isn't just either inverted areas which feature lots of grey.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pesky Splinter posted:

Something from TGS.

TGS Vid

It shows a previously unseen level - an inverted subway, dodging scowly-trains. And all the shades of grey you could ever want! Note the two-second cutscene when more enemies appear, and Dante does a dramatic turn. Thanks NT, DMC really needed that. :rolleyes:
The UI is changed, just a tad. Now the health bar has little sections instead of being one continous bar. It's still dreadfully simple and slapped together, they need to do some work on that. I noticed that the little face next to the health meter blinks occasionally, which seems to be a strange detail. Maybe it will eventually grunt and grin like the Doom guy head.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

The UI is changed, just a tad.

Oh yeah, never noticed that before. The "blinking" seems to be indicating what trigger you're curently using of demon/angel/human. Why exactly, is another question, because you have to hold down the button to use it, so are going to know anyway, which makes it kinda pointless really.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Something from TGS.

TGS Vid

The cutscene that plays as Dante runs across shattering glass correctly has the holes in the floor for the entire series of cutscenes and sequences. As soon as combat starts, it's fixed.

Oops.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

notZaar posted:

The UI is changed, just a tad. Now the health bar has little sections instead of being one continous bar. It's still dreadfully simple and slapped together, they need to do some work on that. I noticed that the little face next to the health meter blinks occasionally, which seems to be a strange detail. Maybe it will eventually grunt and grin like the Doom guy head.

It's ok because apparently getting hit ain't no thang as Dante gets whacked several times and loses like a bar once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

It's ok because apparently getting hit ain't no thang as Dante gets whacked several times and loses like a bar once.

I would not actually judge the difficulty based on that. Videos released by studios almost always have some kind of super invincibility/super-low damage/whatever stuff on for the main character.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's gonna be hard to gauge the difficulty for the final product at this stage anyway. They are apprently working down from "Hard" though, as that was the first difficulty they set.

Hopefully that means that enemies will have different attacks and placements, in addition than the standard "Does more damage, has more health" that most games have.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
You can now see the guady pre-order bonus skins, as well as the shotgun in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7M1v_rFtdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40XBSzEiMOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7k6E6TI8y0

They're honestly so :effort: it isn't even worth the :effort:
The shotgun is looking pretty okay though, though it does appear to have a very large AOE.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 8, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Woah, was that some jump-cancel Helm Breaker in the last clip? That's a step in the right direction. Also, I like the cut-down lever-action shotgun. Double barrels are a classic and all, but lever-actions are sorely underrepresented in games.

Yeah though, these pre-order bonuses were definitely phoned-in. People tend to give poo poo to retailer-specific pre-order stuff, but you could at least make it something cooler than a weapon skin and bigger numbers, and not justify that dislike.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They've been showing off the jump canceling a lot in recent gameplay. Its nice that its there for the combo guys and gals, but its not what I have in mind when I think of DMCs nuanced combat. Stuff like exceed and DT distortion is more like it. I hope the demon/angel system holds up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

notZaar posted:

They've been showing off the jump canceling a lot in recent gameplay. Its nice that its there for the combo guys and gals, but its not what I have in mind when I think of DMCs nuanced combat. Stuff like exceed and DT distortion is more like it. I hope the demon/angel system holds up.

Well it definitely means they thought of the classic DMC combat enough to possibly pay as much care to the rest of the system.

Also jump cancelling Beowulf's airkick was the quickest way to kill like half of the DMC3 bosses

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

notZaar posted:

Interesting point of view. The first time I saw Enemy Step in DMC3, I wondered why it cost so much to unlock for an ability that lets you jump more when Double Jump was already more than enough for most fights. Of course, learning Enemy Step is pretty much step one when mastering the game's fighting system.

You're right though that DMC4's Exceed and DT Distortion (which, IIRC, was actually a bug turned official in the PC release) added some flavour to Nero and Dante's fighting styles. I do believe that DmC is trying a new take on Dante's DMC4 incarnation; namely, having access to all your abilities and weapons mid-battle, but I guess we'll have to wait until next year to see if it really holds up.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 9, 2012

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

toasterwarrior posted:

Exceed and DT Distortion (which, IIRC, was actually a bug turned official in the PC release)

What do exactly you mean by "bug"? In every version of the game, DT Distortion causes the DT runes to light up in sequence when you hold a button and there's a spherical shockwave when you release it, and I'm pretty sure there's an ingame tutorial for it too. Sounds pretty far from accidental to me.

Unless you're confusing it with the ability to juggle enemies to begin, which started off as a bug in Onimusha, was removed before the game was released since it didn't fit the style of the game and was then later turned into an integral part of the DMC1 engine.

AnotherGamer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 9, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's in DMC3; what I mean by Distortion is that in DMC4, toggling DT during specific attack frames boosts damage, sometimes letting you kill bosses in one to two Real Impacts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D9F46lwOBY

Something like that. It was called "distortion" because in the console versions, doing so would distort Dante's graphics.

Edit: Yes, I probably should make it clear what game I'm referring to in my previous post.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

AnotherGamer posted:

What do exactly you mean by "bug"? In every version of the game, DT Distortion causes the DT runes to light up in sequence when you hold a button and there's a spherical shockwave when you release it, and I'm pretty sure there's an ingame tutorial for it too. Sounds pretty far from accidental to me.

Unless you're confusing it with the ability to juggle enemies to begin, which started off as a bug in Onimusha, was removed before the game was released since it didn't fit the style of the game and was then later turned into an integral part of the DMC1 engine.

DT Distortion is a trick in 4 where you can produce "extra" hits by flipping Devil Trigger on at the right moment- useful with high damage moves like Real Impact.

EDIT: Ffff, beaten.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

AnotherGamer posted:

I always knew this as 'DT Explosion'

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Oh right, forgot about that one. Figures. I blame the fact they both sound similar.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The only thing I'm looking forward to in this game is Andy Serkis. His role as the villain in Heavenly Sword was the only thing that kept me going to the end.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93EnuEtmTg

Is there a reason why reviewers now try to insult people into getting a game? "New Dante is better get over it!"

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

If you don't buy DMC, then you are stupid. I know it's harsh, but it's true.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pasteurized Milk posted:

If you don't buy DMC, then you are stupid. I know it's harsh, but it's true.

It is revealed that, in this new canon, that Dante's mother lived with and died due to breast cancer. I can already imagine the drama.

On a more serious note: the response of marketing and "reviewers" the game to the public baffles me. Tameem's responses to criticism haven't done the studio any favours, but these obvious loving shills don't even have the brains to treat their viewers and detractors with respect.

To be honest, I do think there is a degree of hypocrisy in expecting courtesy from supporters of the game after they've caught so much poo poo; but really, as a business and public entity, rolling with the punches and learning from it is a big part of both the creative process and the business side of things. For every cool thing that gets revealed about the game, like their inclusion of jump-cancelling from recent videos, their confrontational marketing style detracts from that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toasterwarrior posted:

It is revealed that, in this new canon, that Dante's mother lived with and died due to breast cancer. I can already imagine the drama.

And before she died, she secretly gave birth to a girl...named Kat, who is actually the daughter of Mundus, who - to top it all - has six months to live. :ohdear:

toasterwarrior posted:

On a more serious note: the response of marketing and "reviewers" the game to the public baffles me. Tameem's responses to criticism haven't done the studio any favours, but these obvious loving shills don't even have the brains to treat their viewers and detractors with respect.

Part of me thinks it's the "Oh well so many people dislike it, because it comes from an auteur studio reknowned for its stories and mocap, obviously, these plebs can't handle good it actually is." attitude that some of them seem to have, regardless of the end result of the product.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Pesky Splinter posted:

And before she died, she secretly gave birth to a girl...named Kat, who is actually the daughter of Mundus, who - to top it all - has six months to live. :ohdear:

Please tell me this is a joke I can't be sure anymore.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Help, this actually looks fun and makes me want to get it

I'm nowhere close to being a super DMC combo-cancelling badass, I actually had Bayonetta on easy past chapter 7 or so since I felt really bad about using items (but when it was too easy and I tried to turn it back I got my rear end kicked too hard, I'm starting over on normal now). As someone who knows very little about the mechanics and (probably more importantly) has never played any of the other DMC games yet, it actually looks pretty fun.

I'll hate myself for giving money to Ninja Theory after following their antics in this thread for so long, but if everyone never gave money to assholes people wouldn't buy much of anything ever.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pesky Splinter posted:

Part of me thinks it's the "Oh well so many people dislike it, because it comes from an auteur studio reknowned for its stories and mocap, obviously, these plebs can't handle good it actually is." attitude that some of them seem to have, regardless of the end result of the product.

It's that pretentious art fallacy.
The critics LOVE it so it MUST BE GOOD, RIGHT? RIGHT?

And then you end up with a print of a decaying skunk rear end on your wall.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Please tell me this is a joke I can't be sure anymore.

We don't know. But what about if we said Dante has to go into to the Slurm factory, while Slurm's McKenzie screams "FUUUUCCCCCKKKK YOOOOOUUUUU YOUR MOM WAS A WHOOOOOOOORRRREEE!" at him, and then we have to sit through a tasteful sex scene of Mundus boning deformed Jackie Stallone, while then having a Hallmark moment with his millionare brother who leads Anonymous, while Glenn Beck and Fox news say they're terrorists?

:ssh: The above is all true

Wrist Watch posted:

I'll hate myself for giving money to Ninja Theory after following their antics in this thread for so long, but if everyone never gave money to assholes people wouldn't buy much of anything ever.

It does look like a fun game. At the lowest point, I was "gently caress getting that". Now it's crept back up to either a rental, borrowing off a friend, or getting second-hand, because gently caress them if they think I'm going to give them money directly for this.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm nowhere close to being a super DMC combo-cancelling badass, I actually had Bayonetta on easy past chapter 7 or so since I felt really bad about using items (but when it was too easy and I tried to turn it back I got my rear end kicked too hard, I'm starting over on normal now). As someone who knows very little about the mechanics and (probably more importantly) has never played any of the other DMC games yet, it actually looks pretty fun.

Hell, I wouldn't feel bad about thinking it looks fun, because I agree that it does. At least they've probably learned something on that front. It's likely I'll get it anyway at a discount on Steam, since brawlers barely pop-up on the PC.

If you think they deserve any comeuppance or whatever, I think you can safely assume that their "riveting, social commentary story" which they think is worth all the marketing buzz will fall flat on its face.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.
I'm just glad someone is finally willing to tackle the important social issue of Slurm in a video game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

toasterwarrior posted:

Interesting point of view. The first time I saw Enemy Step in DMC3, I wondered why it cost so much to unlock for an ability that lets you jump more when Double Jump was already more than enough for most fights. Of course, learning Enemy Step is pretty much step one when mastering the game's fighting system.

You're right though that DMC4's Exceed and DT Distortion (which, IIRC, was actually a bug turned official in the PC release) added some flavour to Nero and Dante's fighting styles. I do believe that DmC is trying a new take on Dante's DMC4 incarnation; namely, having access to all your abilities and weapons mid-battle, but I guess we'll have to wait until next year to see if it really holds up.

Are you sure about distortions being a bug? If you pull it off there's an actual little flash effect that signifies you're doing extra damage, and you can distort a lot of Dante's attacks. RI being the most famous and easy one to do.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

notZaar posted:

Are you sure about distortions being a bug? If you pull it off there's an actual little flash effect that signifies you're doing extra damage, and you can distort a lot of Dante's attacks. RI being the most famous and easy one to do.

It's been a long time since I've seen it done on a console, but apparently doing it there causes Dante's model to stretch out like it was Garry's Mod physics going haywire. You don't see it on the PC version but it keeps the damage boost, so that's what I meant by it becoming "official".

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This might be the first devil may cry game I buy. Dat art of Dante and the angels... glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Old Dante and Lady do things in that Project X Zone thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjkuZqyDrU0

Music wise, it's got a... (I don't even know the term) version of "Devils Never Cry", and "Ultra Violet".

So yeah.

• Locked thread