Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bonaventure posted:

Mmm, yes, if there's one thing the Devil May Cry series is known for, it's its scholarly and accurate representation of the various mythologies and folklores what it done took names from.

Are you implying Beowulf was not actually a giant winged bulldog in the original poem?

Edit: I just reminded myself that we'll probably never see a three-head nunchuck made from a frozen Cerberus in a video game again, and made myself sad.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bonaventure posted:

Mmm, yes, if there's one thing the Devil May Cry series is known for, it's its scholarly and accurate representation of the various mythologies and folklores what it done took names from.

This game is just Devil May Cry by name. :colbert:

They're espousing their game like it's a piece of art.
We are critiquing as if it was one.

Try it! It's easy. And in the minute or two that you put in to just point out something you have done more critical analysis than the devs have ever done.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's good news at least. We said a long long time ago in the thread it would have been better for this to have been an original IP, considering just how little it shares with the other DMC games. And if it plays fine that's okay.

Aye, there's the rub.

I mean if it was its completely own IP the game would be forgettable unless it was as quirky as Bayonetta or Okami (sorry I keep on bringing up Okami but just I couldn't think of any other gmae when I was playing it.)

Pesky Splinter posted:

The best thing to do is either rent it, or buy it from the pre-owned shelf (it doesn't take that long for it to start appearing like that). That's what I plan to do, anyway. Because gently caress Capcom if this is the direction they want the series to head, and gently caress NT for being up their own arse.

Amazon Marketplace here I come.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: I get you. That's a shame really. I mean it's obvious it's not going to be at the same standard as the other DMCs, but they have put work into the thing, even if I find most of it disagreeable. Oh well, it'll be worth a playthrough at least...at a discount. And after MGR: Revengeance. :roboluv:

Achievements. Spoilers abound:

---
Time to go to work guys!
You purchased your first upgrade

Come on Puppy. Let's go!
You have defeated the Hunter

Thing drives me crazy
You have acquired Osiris

Only kind of gift worth giving
You have acquired the Angel Boost ability

Flock off, feather-face!
You have defeated the Tyrant

It's got to stay in the family
You have acquired Arbiter

This baby sure can pack a punch
You have acquired Eryx

He's a demon too
You helped Phineas by retrieving his eye

You are not a Human, are you?
You have acquired the Devil Trigger ability

No talking!
You have acquired Aquila

More than just a few sparks
You have acquired Revenant

Whatever, Lady
You have defeated Mundus' spawn

You're not going to shoot me
You have acquired Kablooey

It's time to finish this!
You helped Vergil open the Vault

Cleaning up his Dad's mess
You have defeated Mundus

The end? Don't bet on it
You defeated Vergil on any difficulty

Looks like it's your lucky day
You completed a level without taking any damage

Every hero has a weakness
You completed Furnace of Souls without taking damage from the furnace

It's only the rain
You Killed 10 enemies by pushing them into the Hurricane ride

A man with guts and honor
You reached the end of the descent on Mission 6 having killed all of the enemies

Now my coat's all charred
You navigated the Sky Bridge without hitting the lasers

Where does the time go?
You completed a level in 2 minutes or less

For Tony Redgrave
You killed 50 enemies using nothing but firearms

In the name of my father
You killed 100 enemies using nothing but Demon weapons

You'll never have her fire
You killed 100 enemies using nothing but Angel weapons

Impressive
You have slayed 100 Demons

Bring it on!
You have slayed 1,000 Demons

Looks like we have a winner
You have slayed 5,000 Demons

Sensational!
You gained a SSS Style Rank during combat

It's showtime. Come on!
You earned 1,500 Style Bonuses

This is my kind of rain
You have spent 10,000 Red Orbs

Absolutely crazy about it
You have Spent 50,000 Red Orbs

Let’s rock, baby!
You have upgraded Dante's health to maximum

You can't handle it
You have upgraded Dante's Devil Trigger to maximum

Power... Give me more power!
You have purchased all of Dante's combat upgrades

Dude, the show's over!
You have found all 21 Keys

Let's welcome chaos!
You have opened all 21 Secret Doors

And you are set free
You have found half of the Lost Souls

Fill your dark soul with light
You have found all of the Lost Souls

Keeps getting better and better
You have been awarded a 100% completion rank on all missions

Stylish!
Completed a mission with a SSS rank

Too easy!
Completed all missions on the Son of Sparda difficulty

Devils never cry
Completed all missions on the Dante Must Die difficulty

This is what I live for!
Completed all missions on Heaven Or Hell difficulty

And welcome to Hell!
Completed all missions on Hell and Hell difficulty

Jackpot!
Completed all missions on the Nephilim difficultly with a SSS rank

This party's just getting crazy!
You have completed 10 of the Secret Missions

One hell of a party!
You have completed all of the Secret Missions
---

Oh NT, you're so predictable on a very major one of those :allears:

New spoilerly stuff of interest

The other Angel weapon appears to be a boomerang of sorts, not too dismiliar to one of Pandora's modes. 'Aquila' is Latin for 'Eagle', and is a constellation representing the bird that carried Zeus' thunderbolts. See it here.

Can't make out what Kablooey is, some kind of gun though - grenade launcher maybe? See it here.

How is babby deformed? Baby boss.

It's hard to make out Mundus, but it looks very similar to Temperantia's smashed-in face from Bayonetta.

And Vergil as the final boss. With the most hilarious loving face ever. You must CLICK!

It hasn't got all the bosses on there oddly. No Glenn Beck or Slurm Queen. So there may be more achievements out there, not yet released, as well as more bosses, perhaps?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 3, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So Lady confirmed for showing up?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

Which would be fine, if it was awesome instead of :downs:
Consider the following:

Hey guys! Instead of Pandora's Box being a thing that has all the evils (and hope) in the world, let's make it into a briefcase with Tron lines and a skull that transforms into a bow, a chakram, a missile pod, a goddamn laser cannon and other poo poo!

And in NT:

Hey guys! Nephilim = Human + Angel but let's make it so Nephilim = Demon + Angel! It's close enough!

Sorry, I know I'm being a pedantic :spergin: about this, but it's a sticking point for me for some reason.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So Lady confirmed for showing up?

No, it's literally just Mundus' and Lilith's monster babby.

[e]: Well at least we fight Vergil - that's gotta be something right? Predictable as gently caress, but better than a kick up the arse.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 3, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

No, it's literally just Mundus' and Lilith's monster babby.
Oh wow. Look at all that interest drying up and dying.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Here is the artwork for the rather sleek Shotgun:

It's an odd feeling to not recoil in disgust or apathy at one of DmC's weapons. Dare I say it, I think it looks rather...'cool' :ohdear:

I'd better lie down...

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Achievement list

If there's one thing Silent Hill has taught me, it's that when the creators of a game just can't help but make literally all of their achievements quotes and/or references to previous titles, it means the game will likely be bad.

I'm lookin' at you, Homecoming.

In all seriousness though Homecoming did have that funny B-Movie quality that made it somewhat entertaining throughout, maybe that'll be the case here, too? At this point it's all I can hope for.

E:

Pesky Splinter posted:

I have to admit, that's a pretty sweet looking shotgun.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BlackFrost posted:

If there's one thing Silent Hill has taught me, it's that when the creators of a game just can't help but make literally all of their achievements quotes and/or references to previous titles, it means the game will likely be bad.

Are the creators responsible for the achievement titles though? Or is it a third party?

And Homecoming I like in a tastless kitschy way. If the plot of DmC is as hilariously horrible, I could possibly forgive some of it. In spite of, or despite the developers' intentions.

[e]: It's a clear admission that they know they've failed and nothing they make will ever be superior to the older games, or memorable except in infamy - the same as DMC2, so let it be forgotten in the oblivion of average games and bad ideas
Just as call backs I guess. I don't mind them to be honest. :)

They could have made some more fitting I guess, but what're you gonna do. v:shobon:v
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why is every single achievement a reference to the older games when they're specifically divorcing themselves from them? :psyduck:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's an odd feeling to not recoil in disgust or apathy at one of DmC's weapons. Dare I say it, I think it looks rather...'cool' :ohdear:

I'd better lie down...

I don't remember exactly what Ebony & Ivory look like, but I remember them looking decent too.

Maybe they should have released a "shoot everything" game instead.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
E&I aren't too bad:

The older ones certainly had a more "put together" feel though.

Rebellion is rather dull though.

[e]: Holy poo poo, a plethora of CA - and it's not awful!

Hunter Demon (First Boss)

Rage Demons

Their gimmick is that they spawn in pairs, and if you kill one, then the other enters a sort of DT (which is that white glowy form) and gets more aggressive.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 3, 2012

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Diablo 3 tried to pull demon + angel = super being thing too, didn't it?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The hunter demons seem to have a sort of Grace & Glory thing going on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is something straight out of the Empty Spaces video from Pink Floyd's The Wall. Not that that's bad, if you're looking for psychedelic imagery then taking from Gerald loving Scarfe is one way to achieve that.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Holy poo poo that Vergil face is hilarious. That is a strong contender for funniest thing I've seen come out of this game, and that's really impressive.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
If it were bigger and in colour, it'd be avatar worthy, I think.

God that is so loving goofy.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Looking at that concept art just kind of reinforces how weird of a choice Ninja Theory is for Westernizing a game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Looking at that concept art just kind of reinforces how weird of a choice Ninja Theory is for Westernizing a game.

You mean the developers who have only ever tried to make Asian style games?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Holy gently caress that concept art is gorgeous. Definitely considering a purchase.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Those interviews are laughably wrong. I don't expect everyone to get every pop culture reference ever, but how do they not know what "emo" is. Or that going to gigs and browsing magazines to study cool, obviously defies the definition. It's like a plotline from an 80s teen sitcom.

Tired of being picked on at school, Bradley and Phyllis sneak into the exclusive Rave9 club to learn how to be cool. They meet Venice, a hip DJ who takes them under their wing. Venice eventually reveals he was just like them when he was in school, and the kids learn everything will be "cool" in the end.

I'm sure there's smart, talented people at Ninja Theory, because some of that concept art is hot and some of their systems are interesting. But I'm getting a Brett Ratner vibe from those interviews and the high concept aesthetic - they don't set out to maliciously offend, but they inevitably do so by accident and through incompetence.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

isk posted:

Those interviews are laughably wrong. I don't expect everyone to get every pop culture reference ever, but how do they not know what "emo" is. Or that going to gigs and browsing magazines to study cool, obviously defies the definition. It's like a plotline from an 80s teen sitcom.

Tired of being picked on at school, Bradley and Phyllis sneak into the exclusive Rave9 club to learn how to be cool. They meet Venice, a hip DJ who takes them under their wing. Venice eventually reveals he was just like them when he was in school, and the kids learn everything will be "cool" in the end.

I'm sure there's smart, talented people at Ninja Theory, because some of that concept art is hot and some of their systems are interesting. But I'm getting a Brett Ratner vibe from those interviews and the high concept aesthetic - they don't set out to maliciously offend, but they inevitably do so by accident and through incompetence.

It's Antoniades and his gang. I think the rest are just using a no-objection strategy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

isk posted:

Pretty much.

They think they're creating an arts project which will change how games and interactive media are seen and experienced. The problem is, they're just not capable of it. Far from "an opportunity to elevate the games experience into one that can rival film and literature", they're just kinda sucky at making good games. Good visuals, yes, but bad game designs, and rather sloppy writing.

And with DmC, they keep making these misguided, passive-agressive, foot-in-mouth comments about various things. Like they value the aesthetic more than the actual game. Or are just plain deluding themselves about its quality.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

isk posted:

I'm just confused as to who they think finds malnourished male-model types to be cool? Sure emo rock has its fanbase but if they are going for widespread appeal its a terrible idea. They should have modeled new Dante off of Sam Jackson or something.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm just confused as to who they think finds malnourished male-model types to be cool? Sure emo rock has its fanbase but if they are going for widespread appeal its a terrible idea. They should have modeled new Dante off of Sam Jackson or something.

Samuel Jackson could probably make "Flock off, featherface!" sound like actual fighting words.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Game Trailers review of DmC (or the first ten levels or so):

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/clljgm/invisible-walls-episode-231-----the-games-have-arrived

Rather mixed, with the telling "This is the best game Ninja Theory has made" backhanded compliment, while also pointing out what they liked/disliked about it.

[e]: Yeah, but it's to be expected though. It's like comparing DMC1 to Bayonetta - it's just a whole 'nother level of complexity.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 4, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Seems like it's pretty much what we expect at this point. The fact that it's "not fair" to compare DmC to the Revengeance demo is pretty telling though :\

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh come on, at least that reviewer should've told us why it's not fair to compare these two games.

That "review" did touch upon why I consider the DMC series one of the best action series out there: that plenty of the mechanics in the games have their roots in the fighter genre. I didn't have the chance to really get into fighting games, but I love the combo mechanic and the flexibility that cancelling gives the player in combat. It's fun to both watch and do, and it's a whole different kind of thrill than competitive shooters or RTSes that I find fascinating.

vvv: Oops, sorry, I should've made it clearer; I was also talking about how the reviewer just stopped at "that's not fair".

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 4, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh come on, at least tell us why it's not fair to compare these two games.

I think you've misread what he's written. One of the guys in the video is asked which he had more fun with, DmC or MGR, and he answers with "That's not fair".

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 4, 2012

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

...No hardlock? I can only ever have the game predict who it is I want to hit rather than let me?

I seriously hope they change that, considering in that video I saw numerous enemies that have shields which you need to either work around or smash through, so if you're fighting a group with a couple of them in, having the game just throw your attacks into the unhittable rather than the soft little mook to the left will be endlessly infuriating on harder difficulties.

Also, way too much platforming by the looks of it. DMC was enter room, kill enemies, jump up two blocks and fight more things before opening a door and fighting more things. That video looks like they're breaking up platforming with fighting sections, rather than fighting with platform sections.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Balobam posted:

...No hardlock? I can only ever have the game predict who it is I want to hit rather than let me?

I seriously hope they change that, considering in that video I saw numerous enemies that have shields which you need to either work around or smash through, so if you're fighting a group with a couple of them in, having the game just throw your attacks into the unhittable rather than the soft little mook to the left will be endlessly infuriating on harder difficulties.

Also, way too much platforming by the looks of it. DMC was enter room, kill enemies, jump up two blocks and fight more things before opening a door and fighting more things. That video looks like they're breaking up platforming with fighting sections, rather than fighting with platform sections.

They're not going to. The lack of lock-on has been a complaint since early on and it's been in every demo despite that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

They're not going to. The lack of lock-on has been a complaint since early on and it's been in every demo despite that.

I'm sure there's an interview somewhere where they said they removed it because of the difficulty that the casual playtesters had using it, or something like that? I'm trying to find the quote, to be sure.

[e]: Here we are, during one of the Q&As, they felt that the lock-on was something that was an obstacle for "non-hardcore" people, so they got rid of it.
- I'm paraphrasing.

But either way, a DMC with a terrible lock-on, no taunt and the ability to spam the same move over and over again to get a SSS rank.

At least they seem to have a nice variety of weapons - 1 sword, 2 angel and 2 demon weapons, and 3 guns.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 4, 2012

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh come on, at least that reviewer should've told us why it's not fair to compare these two games.

That "review" did touch upon why I consider the DMC series one of the best action series out there: that plenty of the mechanics in the games have their roots in the fighter genre. I didn't have the chance to really get into fighting games, but I love the combo mechanic and the flexibility that cancelling gives the player in combat. It's fun to both watch and do, and it's a whole different kind of thrill than competitive shooters or RTSes that I find fascinating.

vvv: Oops, sorry, I should've made it clearer; I was also talking about how the reviewer just stopped at "that's not fair".

I can compare DMC1 to Bayonetta and argue in favor of the FORMER because I'm a stupid idiot assshole, the following few words will prove this.

I actually wrote about this way back when I was comparing DMC1/3 to Bayonetta (in some 2000+ word polemic article oh my god) but this was one of the differences that really, really bugged me in the latter game.

Essentially DMC1 has a bunch of moves that are essentially command normal inputs with the properties of specials, for example Forward + Attack doing C.Viper's Thunder Knuckle (Stinger), or Back + Attack doing a Dragon Punch (High Time). Except the trick was each move had specific uses so you'd want to use High Time to launch an enemy and either combo him in the air or keep him there or you'd want to Stinger to clear space or close a gap or you'd want Inferno to murder a group of people or Meteor to snipe something and all the moves combo into each other and they all have specific uses and they're easy to execute but the trick is working out how and when to use them for maximum effectiveness and coolness.

On the other hand, it felt like Bayonetta had like 40 combos that were variants on XXXYYXXXY and without going through each of them and remembering that Combo 16 had a spinning kick halfway through that you could use for crowd control you just wouldn't go near it outside of "Gotta hit this boss for damage when he's weakened". It's almost like too much variety made everything feel samey in the end.

PS My fave Bayonetta move was the one where she breakdanced and shot everything around her and then posed for the camera.

PPS DmC is the worst of both worlds.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So the "no taunt" thing is confirmed, then? gently caress NT, did you play any of the other games or just give the concept art a cursory glance? After the price for this load goes down I'll probably buy it in a way that ensures Capcom sees no money from it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Chucat posted:

DMC1 and Bayonetta, and their moveset design

You've brought up great points on the combat differences between Bayonetta and the DMC series. In fact, I find that DMC made such good use of its pseudo-fighter system that it's no wonder that the twins' moveset transitioned seamlessly into Marvel VS Capcom 3 and that they would end up as top-tier characters because of how their movesets were designed.

I'm with you though on how I find DMC's combat more compelling than Bayonetta's. It's weird; I still think that Bayonetta is a worthy successor to DMC, but DMC's button input system jives with me better for some reason.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Other than the aesthetics, the thing that made DMC1 better than any other game in the genre was the feedback. They really nailed the feel of the weapons. As much as I like DMC3, it feels like I'm cutting through paper with a kitchen knife most of the time.
I agree that the fact that every move has a clear purpose makes it even better.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Bayonetta's combat is basically a deep goodie-bag, where the developers have gone "We've made all these toys for you to try out - have fun", and then you have fun experimenting with various weapons and moves and everything else. It's very open and free, and allows the player to tailor it to their preferred playstyle.

DMC1's combat is more limited but focused, but the fun comes from using those limitations to the players' advantage, but with just enough combo variety that the player isn't just hammering the same attack over and over like in DMC2. (That said though, the ability to cycle through Alastor and Ifrit as in the other games wouldn't have gone amiss).

I don't get the point of this new one basically allowing the player to spam the same move over and over and still give them a high ranking. Yeah, they might have a large variety of combos available, but what's the point if you're still rewarded with just spamming heavy attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chucat posted:

I can compare DMC1 to Bayonetta and argue in favor of the FORMER because I'm a stupid idiot assshole, the following few words will prove this.

I actually wrote about this way back when I was comparing DMC1/3 to Bayonetta (in some 2000+ word polemic article oh my god) but this was one of the differences that really, really bugged me in the latter game.

Essentially DMC1 has a bunch of moves that are essentially command normal inputs with the properties of specials, for example Forward + Attack doing C.Viper's Thunder Knuckle (Stinger), or Back + Attack doing a Dragon Punch (High Time). Except the trick was each move had specific uses so you'd want to use High Time to launch an enemy and either combo him in the air or keep him there or you'd want to Stinger to clear space or close a gap or you'd want Inferno to murder a group of people or Meteor to snipe something and all the moves combo into each other and they all have specific uses and they're easy to execute but the trick is working out how and when to use them for maximum effectiveness and coolness.

On the other hand, it felt like Bayonetta had like 40 combos that were variants on XXXYYXXXY and without going through each of them and remembering that Combo 16 had a spinning kick halfway through that you could use for crowd control you just wouldn't go near it outside of "Gotta hit this boss for damage when he's weakened". It's almost like too much variety made everything feel samey in the end.

PS My fave Bayonetta move was the one where she breakdanced and shot everything around her and then posed for the camera.

PPS DmC is the worst of both worlds.

Variety isn't a bad thing though. If it made it feel samey to you it was likely because you prefer a small number of moves with distinct purposes to a more free-flowing system which allows for greater variation and variety. That isn't a bad thing though. Arkham (x) is that as well and it has a fantastic combat system because each move has a distinct purpose that combos directly into one-another so it becomes a game of "use the right move in the right place."

DmC, if it succeeds, is going to be the latter. The problem is that they imply they're designing it like the former and they clearly have no idea how to do that.

• Locked thread