Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Conclusions posted:

I've seen this pop up from time to time, but other than the hair colour I honestly don't see it. :confused:

I dunno, I think the hairstyle looks pretty similar. Man, that guy could not look like more of a douche in that picture. I can feel him looking down his nose at me and everyone else in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

User0015 posted:

It's actually extremely important for that, too. Games like DMC always need to be 'fair' against the player, so it does lots of things you might not even notice. Some of those things include preventing enemies from attacking while off-screen and using audio cues to indicate enemies who are starting an attack pattern.

What I'm trying to say is that Audio Cues shouldn't be the only thing to indicate or represent something. Even if I don't hear an enemy, it's still possible to dodge an attack, although much more difficult. That's because they use audio and visual cues. Using sound alone to represent the style meter, which is a very very important part of this game, just does not seem plausible in my eyes. Unless the Audio is literally a reading of your style meter like "Your style meter is going down" or "CRAZYYY!!!!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Unless the Audio is literally a reading of your style meter like "Your style meter is going down" or "CRAZYYY!!!!"

This sounds like something they would do in a movie from the 90's where the characters are playing a video game that is unnamed for purposes of copyright dodging.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

What I'm trying to say is that Audio Cues shouldn't be the only thing to indicate or represent something. Even if I don't hear an enemy, it's still possible to dodge an attack, although much more difficult. That's because they use audio and visual cues. Using sound alone to represent the style meter, which is a very very important part of this game, just does not seem plausible in my eyes. Unless the Audio is literally a reading of your style meter like "Your style meter is going down" or "CRAZYYY!!!!"

Again, assuming that Style in this game is what we're acquainted with. It might simply be just the background music beefing itself up for X amount of time you've gone without getting it, constantly attacking enemies without stopping a-la God of War or Dante's Inferno, or any number of other things. We can't be certain until it's actually demonstrated.

Also enemies usually have very distinct attack behaviors to go with those audio cues. Tons of enemies in Devil May Cry 3 gave visual warnings in the form of either significant wind-up to those attacks or over-exaggerated "Gonna get ya!" poses. But the audio cues are very important, since keeping an ear out for a specific sound effect is a lot easier to do than trying to keep track of all enemies at once. It also means you can dodge without needing to look at those attack, since the actual attack comes X amount of seconds after the cue is played and you don't need to know where the enemy is coming from as long as you know when you should hit jump to avoid it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Well, after the original announcement trailers I had wrote off the new game as being trash in the making, but now that I see it in motion it's been upgraded to "Wait and see" Territory. Some of the animations are janky but holy poo poo I'm loving the environment, the city seems like it's alive and it's out to get you in and of itself. I'm still not in love with the redesign of Dante, but if the core gameplay is good enough I can pretend it's not a devil may cry game and instead it's own IP.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
As long as it seems to play okay, I'll probably end up getting it, and like you said, just pretend it's a completely differnet IP, with some dude named...ur...Tony Redgrave or something.

I know story isn't really important in these games, but I wonder what parts of the regular DMC mythos they're going to draw from.

Is Sparda still present? Or Vergil? The use of Devil Arms? (Only Rebellion and the sythe/sword-whip have really been seen, as well as Ebony & Ivory).

The only things that seem to have been told about the story is that "It's set in a city named Limbo, which Demons run, while keeping the human population either oblivious or under observation. And Dante seems to be this lone rebel, with this as-of-yet unnamed chick or something. But he can fight them on their own turf by going into a purgatory world, where everything is against him."

Not to be confused with being set in a city named Vigrid, which Angels run, while keeping the human population either oblivious or under observation. And Bayonetta has this mysterious past, with this red-garbed chick or something. But she can fight them on their own turf by going into Purgatorio, where everything is against her.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
To be honest, I think this game looks really really cool for a game about demons/angels fighting demons/angels with cool powers. But it looks so drastically different from a Devil May Cry game currently that it seems like it would do better if it didn't associate itself with the DMC franchise. I guess this is nice for the publicity and hype they need to generate to make people buy this game, but if it isn't done right, it's going to receive a lot of hate.

With that said, I'm on the fences. I think this will be a cool reboot for the series that will generate a lot more fans, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'm ready to let go of the current series. So, good luck to you Ninja Theory. I hope you already considered all this stuff we're talking about in this thread.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Using sound alone to represent the style meter, which is a very very important part of this game, just does not seem plausible in my eyes.

Yeah it's incredibly stupid, for a variety of reasons. I mean, if you're going to provide feedback to the player, you should probably do it in a visual way. Since this game has a giant hard-on for distortion effects and morphing environments, maybe do something with that?

Anyways, I know what you meant. I just wanted to ramble on about fighting games. :shobon:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Monkey Fracas posted:

I dunno, I think the hairstyle looks pretty similar. Man, that guy could not look like more of a douche in that picture. I can feel him looking down his nose at me and everyone else in the world.

I don't think it's worth considering at all since this is a common practice in gaming in general be it video games, pen and paper RPG art, etc. It's kind of rare for the faces to be designed completely from scratch. I don't understand why the gaming media chose to focus on this so much when it was found out, as if it's some kind of information bomb of proof that the game will suck. Some examples you may recognize are Adam Jensen from the new Deus Ex, Reiko Nagase from Ridge Racer (actually based off one of the male designer's faces), or Akiyama from Yakuza 4.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 21, 2011

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't think it's worth considering at all since this is a common practice in gaming in general be it video games, pen and paper RPG art, etc. It's kind of rare for the faces to be designed completely from scratch. I don't understand why the gaming media chose to focus on this so much when it was found out, as if it's some kind of information bomb of proof that the game will suck. Some examples you may recognize are Adam Jensen from the new Deus Ex, Reiko Nagase from Ridge Racer (actually based off one of the male designer's faces), or Akiyama from Yakuza 4.

I think it's more the fact that they were taking an already very well established character and slapping him with the face of some guy from a studio with an iffy at best track record.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I wish they would just get rid of dante and nero and god knows who this new guy is and make Lady the main character. Lady is abetter character in every way. She can rocket jump like 6000 feet and has a loving sword attached to a rocket launcher.

At least the new tomb raider game looks good for games with female leads, it has been a long drat time since a good one came out.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Devil May Cry HD Collection release date announced for April 2012.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-20-devil-may-cry-hd-collection-release-date-announced

Wow I had forgotten how absolutely pug-fugly devil may cry 2 was.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Meowbot posted:

I wish they would just get rid of dante and nero and god knows who this new guy is and make Lady the main character. Lady is abetter character in every way. She can rocket jump like 6000 feet and has a loving sword attached to a rocket launcher.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a DMC Mercenaries where you pick a character and go through setpieces or Bloody Palace...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

User0015 posted:

Bayonetta doesn't use state resets as much as DMC, but it focuses on it's own method of manipulating states; preventing state resets by letting players continue combos by holding the button down during dodge.

Could you please explain this a bit further? I only played Bayonetta a bit when the demo came out so I didn't delve too deeply into the game mechanics. The bolded part sounds really interesting.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Could you please explain this a bit further? I only played Bayonetta a bit when the demo came out so I didn't delve too deeply into the game mechanics. The bolded part sounds really interesting.

Been a while since I played Bayonetta so take my words with a grain of salt. Pretty much every attack in Bayonetta could be held down to charge it up/shoot weapons to continue the combo. If you held a button down while performing a dodge in mid combo, then released it after the dodge finished, you would pick up right where you left off in the combo. Since the final hits of most of the combos are extremely strong with Wicked Weave attacks, it let you keep up flashier and more damaging combos without sacrificing freedom of movement.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Van Ishikawa posted:

Been a while since I played Bayonetta so take my words with a grain of salt. Pretty much every attack in Bayonetta could be held down to charge it up/shoot weapons to continue the combo. If you held a button down while performing a dodge in mid combo, then released it after the dodge finished, you would pick up right where you left off in the combo. Since the final hits of most of the combos are extremely strong with Wicked Weave attacks, it let you keep up flashier and more damaging combos without sacrificing freedom of movement.

So while still holding the attack button, the dodge button is pressed (like pressing Square then rolling your thumb to X) - once the dodge finishes or the button is released, the combo continues? That rocks. It's like Arkham City's Beatdown move with counters, but with every move.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Does the HD DMC collection have the original DMC? I know the ps2 one had it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Does the HD DMC collection have the original DMC? I know the ps2 one had it.

Nah its just 3 Copies of DMC2 with different box art.

Yeah, it has DMC 1,2,and 3.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Alright, I will always wanted to finish the first one but new ps3s don't have playback.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's hard to go back to Devil May Cry after playing the prequel, but it's still a fine game. I just really really really hope they let us rebind jump dammit.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Devil May Cry 4 is $9.99 on Steam at the moment, but it would probably be worth waiting to see if it drops price even further as a daily deal. http://store.steampowered.com/app/45700/

notZaar posted:

It's hard to go back to Devil May Cry after playing the prequel, but it's still a fine game. I just really really really hope they let us rebind jump dammit.

I remember reading that they were planning on rebinding the buttons to be like DMC3, but I don't remember the source so I don't know how true it is.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Not news, but I had a look at Capcom's DMC Devil May Cry homepage. Using the power of Google translate, and trying to fathom what the information means, here is some of the profiles.

Dante - Half Angel/Demon

With his pistols, Ebony and Ivory, and trusty sword Rebellion, this youth hunts demons. "Dante create an aura of hard-boiled newborn" (Uh...he's tough and a punk?)

The City of Limbo

A mix of neo-Gothic buildings and modern architecture, Limbo's strange atmosphere is not only because of the architecture.
It's also the place of contact between the real world and "Makai" (a supernatural world where demons live in - a parallel world in the City of Limbo, just called "Limbo" or something).

There's something about the town dragging Dante into there because the demons target half Angels and Demons or something.

Stylish Action

Angel Power for Speed!

Slicing the enemy with a scythe-like sharp blade. Angel weapon power is used for speedy attacks. Use it near obstacles to change the weapon's form and demonstrate the various capabilities of it.

Yeah, so speed attacks, and possibly used for jumping puzzles and things.

Demon Power for Strength!

Crush the enemy with a weapon such as a heavy axe. The Demon power can pull enemies towards you using a grab move.
Heavy attacks basically.

Devil Trigger

Aerial combat is also one of the keywords in DMC. Use "Devil Trigger" and soar into the air and slash at the enemies around Dante.
In addition, the DT is reminiscent of Dante's traditional appearance, don't miss him wearing a crimson coat when he changes.

...gently caress you Capcom, don't remind us.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 22, 2011

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Pesky Splinter posted:

The Demon power can pull enemies towards you using a grab move.

Whatup Nero.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Schubalts posted:

Whatup Nero.

I feel like this game won't make any sense until the mod that replaces Dante's model with Nero's model for DMC4 comes out.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Jesus Christ, why didn't they just make this entire game Nero's origin story or some poo poo? It wouldn't fix the combat being slow (though I suppose we'll have to wait until it's actually out to see just how bad it is), but at least all of the bitching about Dante would be gone and the mechanics would actually fit the character.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Artix74 posted:

Jesus Christ, why didn't they just make this entire game Nero's origin story or some poo poo? It wouldn't fix the combat being slow (though I suppose we'll have to wait until it's actually out to see just how bad it is), but at least all of the bitching about Dante would be gone and the mechanics would actually fit the character.

An allergy to success.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Capcom's main focus these days is to be take some of their most loved series and tweak them in a way that leaves fans baffled and disappointed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh didn't you guys know Capcom hates money and they like to outsource their successful franchises for no reason.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I can't be the only one who thinks DMC1 is still the best. Sure, the combat in DMC3 is better, but in terms of backgrounds, bosses, enemy design, feedback, music, and atmosphere, DMC is still the high point of the series for me. It's sad they completely discarded the survival horror tone for the sequels.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Spermando posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks DMC1 is still the best. Sure, the combat in DMC3 is better, but in terms of backgrounds, bosses, enemy design, feedback, music, and atmosphere, DMC is still the high point of the series for me. It's sad they completely discarded the survival horror tone for the sequels.

I'd agree on a lot of those points although I prefer DMC3 overall, something about the gothic atmosphere got lost over the next few games.

Speaking of atmos, this game does have excellent looking environments, no doubt about that! But, like others have said, the gameplay doesn't quite suit what DMC is. They should just have it as a spin-off and leave it at that rather than some sort of reboot.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I think the heavily Gothic influence on the atmosphere can be attriubted to its Resident Evil heritage for DMC 1. It is interesting to see how the series made the transition from semi-Survival Horror to full on action, and I'm glad they changed it.

With survival horror, one of the key factors is often that the protagonist is a fairly average Joe, and has limited fighting capabilites (i.e limited ammo) often having to rely on sneaking past enemies and conserving ammo for the boss, and that sort of thing.

With DMC, Dante doesn't have to worry about saving ammo, and sneaking round enemies goes against the nature of the gameplay, and is impossible in most cases.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I know the gameplay has nothing in common, but the background art, the score, and the overall tone of the game take me back to games like Fatal Frame and Resident Evil. In the rest of the games the backgrounds are just generic and bland. It's things that wouldn't change the gameplay one bit, and its absence is something I can look past, but it definitely made DMC lose part of its appeal for me.
Onimusha, on the other hand, became better IMO when they went from survival horror to full-on retarded anime action game.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 23, 2011

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
While DMC is certainly special, I prefer the technical depth found in 3 and 4.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Spermando posted:

I know the gameplay has nothing in common, but the background art, the score, and the overall tone of the game take me back to games like Fatal Frame and Resident Evil. In the rest of the games the backgrounds are just generic and bland. It's things that wouldn't change the gameplay one bit, and its absence is something I can look past, but it definitely made DMC lose part of its appeal for me.

It probably as well that DMC1's story is rather more grim and serious (or rather, has more grim and serious moments) than the more light-hearted and campy 3 and 4 (2 doesn't count because christ knows what's going on with 2), but yeah, there's a heavy forboding atmosphere in 1 that isn't in the other games.

I'd agree with the backgrounds bit, aside from the stuff in the Demon Worlds, because, visually, they're often the most interesting things in the game. I'd say the music though has been consistantly good throughout the series, even 2's (though I couldn't remember a single theme from it) is okay, just unmemorable.

My favourite though is 3. For me, it has the best soundtrack, best battle system and most solid plot.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

Spermando posted:

Onimusha, on the other hand, became better IMO when they went from survival horror to full-on retarded anime action game.

They switched the game from Resident Evil to DMC relatively late in development, didn't that? It was probably easier to just keep what they had along with the survival horror atmosphere instead of reworking everything once they transitioned the game from the RE it was supposed to be into DMC1.

I'm actually kind of curious as to how the game would have turned out if they had started out with creating DMC as the goal from the very beginning.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, DMC1 was one of the scrapped Resident Evil 4 plans, but it came far enough that they made it its own game. There's old concept art in Accountingnightmare's DMC4 LP.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431308&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post395918053

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 23, 2011

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

One thing about DMC that I loved was that it must have been the most brutal game at the time. Certainly in the DMC series it is the hardest, that made it appealing to me. The blue orbs were really important more so than in any of the sequels. With the small health bar you started at the beginning, even skeletons would annihilate you in one combo. Despite not having as much as depth as 3 or 4 the difficulty made you fight a lot smarter/skillfully. The only thing I found annoying was the checkpoints, some boss battles would have three parts if you died at the 2nd part you would start at the first.

Can't wait to play it again.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
That part when he was sliding through the transforming world and it said gently caress YOU on the ground? That sure did make me this was a DMC game!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The best thing about DMC was that it gave you your devil trigger in the second mission, as opposed to about a third of the way through the game. Fresh Dante runs in 3 and 4 are a nightmare without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Pesky Splinter posted:

A new trailer is up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXyNlwXQsU

It looks rather clunky IMO. Its also looks slow compared to both DMC 4 and Bayonetta.

Thoughts?

This is how the Fade from Dragon Age Origins should have looked.

• Locked thread