Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So what does Famitsu think?

Beneath their notice. They're too busy having fun with Yakuza 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I'm baffled as to why publications are practically giving head to this new game. It's very puzzling to see, surely they would think of the step back from framerate to be 'extremely bad' in a fast-paced action series?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Temascos posted:

I'm baffled as to why publications are practically giving head to this new game. It's very puzzling to see, surely they would think of the step back from framerate to be 'extremely bad' in a fast-paced action series?

Because somebody is paying them to. There are no sluts in gaming journalism, only whores (sorry about the misogyny.)

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

As far as NT's characterization goes? A friend of mine who has virtually no experience with the series played the demo, and her initial question was "Why is the main character such a little douche?" Kat seems like she's just going to end up as a damsel for Dante to save, as opposed to someone who can hold their own like Lady or Trish. Classic Mundus seemed like a threat, he was never shown until the end and it was an imposing appearance the first time I played. If classic Mundus is cartoony, I'd rather have him than some bitter bald guy in a suit.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SSNeoman posted:

I assume they mean either the original legend or Lone Wolf and Cub, and not the video game Okami.

They better not loving mean the video game.
I thought they meant Okami too, but how would you westernize Okami?

I mean, that's literally saying they'd want to americanize japanese mythology. That's not just a questionably bad idea like their vision for DmC, it's completely impossible. What would they even do? Rewrite the entire story to be about Native Americans and wolves or something?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Capcom must be paying a fortune to get all of this 'positive' press to generate excitement for their upcoming release. It doesn't seem to matter who actually writes the coverage the overall message I get afterwards is that I'm a loving retard because I don't like this game as a 'Devil May Cry' game.

If it was it's own IP it would get 7 out of 10's all around and praised for the visual style just like all of the other Ninja Theory games with lacking gameplay and poor sales if Enslaved was anything to go by.

I try to be fair with judgement so it doesn't look like I hate the game just because of Ninja Theory but they are making it very hard for themselves and journalists aren't helping either.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder how the fans of this game would react if they went back to the original series. They might lament the fact that there's only one or two cutscenes per mission, or that a single combo can't get them through the whole game.

Who knows, they might even appreciate the lock-on and taunt buttons, or the imaginative enemy and weapon design, or even the feeling of improvement as they tackle the exponentially harder difficulty levels.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder how the fans of this game would react if they went back to the original series.

"Where are the keys? How come secret missions aren't marked by obvious doors in the environment? You mean I have to actually think about the game while I play it?"

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder how the fans of this game would react if they went back to the original series.

Who is this cool motherfucker I'm playing as? Also why can't I get SSS ranks anymore, I collected everything :saddowns:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Depending which you meant

We talking DMC3/DMC4?

or we talking DMC?

Remember Devil May Cry was much more different the DMC3 and 4. It was still a kick rear end game though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wrist Watch posted:

I mean, that's literally saying they'd want to americanize japanese mythology. That's not just a questionably bad idea like their vision for DmC, it's completely impossible. What would they even do? Rewrite the entire story to be about Native Americans and wolves or something?

XBOXM interview with:

Tameem Antonides: "We didn't design Amaterasu's face to look like me as a dog. It was just a coincidence. The face markings looking like the Union flag was also a coincidence. We've tried to stay true to the original myths, while also going in a modern direction. What was cool ten years ago, isn't so much now, Ammy would be barked out of a Tokyo kennel. We decided to modernise her, but also keep her relevant to today, so that's why she wears a spiked collar, to keep that punk aspect of her.

We decided to split the combat into new and interesting ways, by getting rid of the Divine Brush, and streamlining the rest of the weapons into a Holy Stance, and Dog Stance, allowing the player to switch between them by holding down the trigger button. I don't care if fans like it. They can all gently caress off - I'm more interested in telling Amaterasu's story as an up and coming goddess, and how she comes to be who she is in Okami."

Famed musicians, Linkin' Park will be providing the game's music.

Ninja Theory's latest game, "Okami - Snarling Werebitch" will be out in January. :downs:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wrist Watch posted:

I thought they meant Okami too, but how would you westernize Okami?

I explained this! You turn it into God of War.

Westernization is about game design and style, not like cultural content. Americans love ninjas and kitsunes and poo poo. Make it a gritty, gory, serious action game with a tragic, morally ambiguous male protagonist. It would probably end up being a critical failure while simultaneously being a bigger commercial failure than Okami because it cost more without moving more units, but Capcom considers commercial and critical success to be unsightly.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 3, 2012

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Downloading the demo now; let's see how bad this is.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nickname Pending posted:

Downloading the demo now; let's see how bad this is.

Can I offer some advice? Reconfigure the controls to your liking before you start.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Pesky Splinter posted:

Can I offer some advice? Reconfigure the controls to your liking before you start.

Do this. L1 L2 for Weapons, R2 for Devil Trigger, R1 for dodge.

I've seen some reviews be optimistic about the game, but wow, that Gamesradar piece went above and beyond. Again, it's not so much liking the new game as going out of their way to compare it to the old game and say it's an improvement. New Dante is a better character, the combat isn't shallow, just simpler, etc. He defines the combat as aerial juggling and stingers, which kinda misses a huge component of what made it awesome.

I picked up the DMC HD collection yesterday. Was playing through DMC again, then got the itch to touch DMC4 again. I shouldn't have. Doing random stages of the Bloody Palace as Dante with style switching and huge weapon choices just made me sad this game was going to be his peak.

I might check out DmC used when it gets a lot cheaper, or if the reviews reveal that all of this was some incredible PR coverup, and starting in chapter 5 Dante reincarnates and throws away his lovely weapons or something.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Pesky Splinter posted:

XBOXM interview with:

Tameem Antonides: "We didn't design Amaterasu's face to look like me as a dog. It was just a coincidence. The face markings looking like the Union flag was also a coincidence. We've tried to stay true to the original myths, while also going in a modern direction. What was cool ten years ago, isn't so much now, Ammy would be barked out of a Tokyo kennel. We decided to modernise her, but also keep her relevant to today, so that's why she wears a spiked collar, to keep that punk aspect of her.

We decided to split the combat into new and interesting ways, by getting rid of the Divine Brush, and streamlining the rest of the weapons into a Holy Stance, and Dog Stance, allowing the player to switch between them by holding down the trigger button. I don't care if fans like it. They can all gently caress off - I'm more interested in telling Amaterasu's story as an up and coming goddess, and how she comes to be who she is in Okami."

Famed musicians, Linkin' Park will be providing the game's music.

Ninja Theory's latest game, "Okami - Snarling Werebitch" will be out in January. :downs:

That's...that's not funny.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Finished the demo. My impressions: Not as bad as I thought it would be, but not particularly fun. Something felt really off the entire demo. I also prefer Dante's older personality. Might get the game when it becomes $10 or something.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

skywalker6705 posted:

DMC4 Bloody Palace Talk

Welp, off to boot back up DMC4 like I planned last night.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

PoshAlligator posted:

Nothing has driven home the poor state of modern gaming journalism quite so much as DmC coverage.

There are no words to describe the shame I feel on GamesRadar's behalf.

This is really it. When XCOM was coming out, a lot of reviews were also pretty god awful. 'Journalists' who said they spent 10 hours with a game having trouble recognizing you can't move and shoot your sniper in the same turn. Having trouble with a variety of things or making incredibly obvious mistakes. Then you get some really good amateur who makes videos of his impossible run and they're infinitely more informative, interesting and exciting to watch than the people being paid money to preview/review a game.

Now you have DmC, where they aren't even trying to compare the old DMC's to this one. They fellate the audience by saying they've all played the previous games, when it's more than likely they have either never played them at all, or played them to such a shallow degree that they think the combat consists of pressing x and jumping sometimes (and using the devil arm). There's also the claim I was asking about earlier, where NT said they brought in exceptional players that have produced TrueStyle videos to test the combat system. I seriously doubt they actually did bring them in, or listen to their advice if so. But you think gaming journalists give a poo poo? They just regurgitate whatever a developer says, with zero critical analysis on their part. You know, the part that is their loving job.

It's just becoming more and more obvious they're PR shills and nothing more, these days. It's really sad.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

User0015 posted:

This is really it. When XCOM was coming out, a lot of reviews were also pretty god awful. 'Journalists' who said they spent 10 hours with a game having trouble recognizing you can't move and shoot your sniper in the same turn. Having trouble with a variety of things or making incredibly obvious mistakes. Then you get some really good amateur who makes videos of his impossible run and they're infinitely more informative, interesting and exciting to watch than the people being paid money to preview/review a game.

Now you have DmC, where they aren't even trying to compare the old DMC's to this one. They fellate the audience by saying they've all played the previous games, when it's more than likely they have either never played them at all, or played them to such a shallow degree that they think the combat consists of pressing x and jumping sometimes (and using the devil arm). There's also the claim I was asking about earlier, where NT said they brought in exceptional players that have produced TrueStyle videos to test the combat system. I seriously doubt they actually did bring them in, or listen to their advice if so. But you think gaming journalists give a poo poo? They just regurgitate whatever a developer says, with zero critical analysis on their part. You know, the part that is their loving job.

It's just becoming more and more obvious they're PR shills and nothing more, these days. It's really sad.

While I do agree with this, the DmC coverage is loving weird to me, I haven't seen this much verbal masturbation of a game since Metal Gear Solid 2, and maybe its just me but I don't consider Devil May Cry to be that special, its completely insane how game journalists are salivating all over this thing.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Alteisen posted:

While I do agree with this, the DmC coverage is loving weird to me, I haven't seen this much verbal masturbation of a game since Metal Gear Solid 2, and maybe its just me but I don't consider Devil May Cry to be that special, its completely insane how game journalists are salivating all over this thing.

Part of it may be the reviewers trying to see this like the next Modern Warfare or something that 'dramatically' changes the franchise and the way games are pla- hahaha. But you're right, it's loving weird.

When the reviews come out, we should do reviews of their reviews and send it back to them, and let other sites know about it. Hopefully that'll gather some attention.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

randombattle posted:

I have no doubt there are developers on the team who played DMC3 or 4 but seem to have no understanding of what made those games great. So they just go "Well we have juggles! And a devil trigger! That's it right?" I don't think they have any understanding why you want a manual lock on in these kinds of games and it seems like if something comes up in all these interviews they just point to Capcom and blame it on them.

This is how I felt about the demo. Some of the elements of the previous games are there- the juggling, the air combos, the Devil-Bringer-style grabbing, the guns/sword combo, a few of the old moves, devil trigger, etc. But the whole thing feels like they ran it through the teleporter from Cronenberg's The Fly. It is what NT thinks a DMC game should be, and it sorta looks like a DMC game if you squint, but when you play it you know something is very wrong.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Twitter Antics:

Tameem Antoniades clarifies that bar quote:

quote:

@Tameem: But I would like to converse something. What exactly makes you think older Dante wasn't cool when most fans think otherwise?

@[Dude]:
1. Don't ask on behalf of "the fans", ask on behalf of yourself. They didn't elect you
2. Don't put words in my mouth

@Tameem: Except you did say Dante was uncool man,you shaid he would be laughed out of any bar that he walked into...

@[Dude]: That was a point about Dante's Anime style vs the western cinematic style capcom wanted. Context

This was the full quote, for reference:

quote:

“The essence of Devil May Cry is all about ‘cool. It’s about Dante being cool and making you feel cool when you’re playing it, and so the combat and the style system and everything is integral to that. But, you know, what was cool 12 years ago — I think that was when the first game came out – isn’t cool anymore.

If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he’d get laughed out. What Devil May Cry did when it launched was it brought everything that was great about action cinema like the fashion, music — it was like a cultural melting pot — and I feel like now, for Devil May Cry to have that same impact, it needs to draw on new things. New music, new ways of cinematography, new fashion.”

And bad news about Onimusha, Onimusha fans :rolleyes::

Tameem Antoniades posted:

Breaking News! NT / Onimusha rumours are fake - malicious smear campaign against developer for making a game continues...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How was the old Dante not western, really? Nothing in those games really screams anime.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Twitter Antics:

Tameem Antoniades clarifies that bar quote:

This was the full quote, for reference:

Is it tiring, Tameem? Nailing yourself to that cross? How painful it must be for you. Prick.

Edit: I want Tameem Antoniades, David Cage, and Derek Smart to collaborate on a game, just so I can see what that confluence of fevered egos would produce.

Edit2: Oh, who am I kidding? Smart would end up murdering Cage and Antoniades because they keep trying to bury his obtuse gameplay with their obtuse narratives.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 3, 2012

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Why are all reviewers so resistant to saying "this is nothing like old DMC games but we loved it!" instead of this unreadable drivel they keep putting out?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why does Tameem feel like Devil May Cry was always some melting pot of pop culture from their respective times when it was really just a game where you do a lot of cool action stuff as a dude who says cheesy lines? I mean, the first game isn't really anything like that, it's basically a hack n' slash early Resident Evil with some hint of self-awareness. The second game, well we know how that is. The third game sort of put the trend into full force of Dante being super stylish and doing all sorts of crazy poo poo with anything he has in his hands and DMC4 continued that. I mean, beyond the Power Rangers stuff in DMC4, it's not like there's several references to what was in at the time of 2001, 2005, or 2008. So I don't know why he's insisting he's continuing tradition.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
It's got to be tiring as hell battling the fanbase while still selling your vision, if it even still is your vision.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Justin_Brett posted:

How was the old Dante not western, really? Nothing in those games really screams anime.

There's some stylistic elements, but honestly that's to be expected. But the majority of DMC is the Japanese devs trying to do a western action/horror B-movie, but from their perspective. There's a very high element of camp also.

I think it's just him trying to backpeddle from one of his early PR faux pas.

Speaking of slight backpeddling:

quote:

@Tameem: the art direction and story of the game are interesting but capcom shoulda handled the gameplay...

@[dude]: they did.

Now, to be fair, Capcom is aiding in the combat of DmC, but NT are supposedly meant to be doing the majority of it. Now either the capcom team have sunk to really low standards (again), or NT is making it (using the Heavenly Sword base), and Capcom are just "Yeah, whatever, throw in a stinger, now it's DMC." That said, with Capcom's "30fps will feel like 60fps" comments I honestly don't know anymore.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 3, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Well, it's not just a matter of clothing choices, but generally people consider garish or bright colours and clothes to be part of Japanese/anime aesthetics while Western aesthetics are more subdued and "realistic". Dante may be wearing Western clothing (taken to its logical conclusion in DMC4 where he's literally wearing cowboy boots and spurs with Gilgamesh), but between his white hair, stark red coat, and fighting with flashy weapons and a flashy style, he looks more like a Japanese creation than a Western one.

I think it's best to look at it in a historical perspective though: there are plenty of Western games that used bright colours as well, but the trend during the time was "better graphics", and that meant stuff like shaders and shadows that could be showed off better in a "realistic" style. Thus, the backlash against "brown and bloom" Western games in recent times.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was okay with that rumor just for the fact that someone remembered Onimusha.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Just finished playing the demo:

I really missed lock-on, I had R1 set up for evade but I kept on pressing it for lock-on out of muscle memory. The combat was ok, but I didn't think it was amazing and that the control scheme was a bit clumsy (although to be fair it's not like I've put a lot of time into it). I also thought that the 'glide' was a bit clunky with having to do multiple button presses to execute, I'm too used to trickster style.

The dialogue, holy poo poo :psyduck:. I don't expect amazing writing from DMC/DmC but what was in the demo was unimaginative and lacklustre with several curses thrown in for 'emphasis'

Did anyone else get a massive headache during the cutscenes? I was playing on PS3 but it felt like the frame rate dropped to the 20's and almost gave me a shakey-cam effect where it didn't feel smooth at all.

Overall Thoughts: Not amazing, not poo poo just pretty average but NT managed to give me a gently caress off headache for playing their demo.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Justin_Brett posted:

The attitude, the overall aesthetics and the gameplay (especially the gameplay) are all very distintive of Japanese design. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but trying to paint the older DMC games as 'Western' just because they feature English voice acting is just false.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

charismaslover posted:

Did anyone else get a massive headache during the cutscenes? I was playing on PS3 but it felt like the frame rate dropped to the 20's and almost gave me a shakey-cam effect where it didn't feel smooth at all.

Someone had a video (with a counter) comparing the framerates of the Xbox and PS3 demo, with the PS3 dipping lower than 24fps at times. "Feels like 60fps", my arse. At least the PC version (when it comes) will actually be that.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 3, 2012

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I finally figured out what was so familiar with new Dante's coat get up, its the same as Nero's.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

charismaslover posted:

The dialogue, holy poo poo :psyduck:. I don't expect amazing writing from DMC/DmC but what was in the demo was unimaginative and lacklustre with several curses thrown in for 'emphasis'

I watched a playthrough of the demo (don't have a console), and that pre-boss cutscene was horrendous. The amount of "gently caress's" in that conversation has to be more than in the entire of DMC3... Did they even say gently caress in DMC3 at all?

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Desfore posted:

I watched a playthrough of the demo (don't have a console), and that pre-boss cutscene was horrendous. The amount of "gently caress's" in that conversation has to be more than in the entire of DMC3... Did they even say gently caress in DMC3 at all?

I haven't played any of the games in a while, but I feel like there was hardly any swearing at all, aside from a few of the lesser swear words now and then.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
I honestly don't recall so much as a "drat."

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Compare it more to Bayonetta, which did have some F-bombs thrown in. Of course, they were far more classy, and the delivery was far more effective. Plus 'Flock off, featherface' makes another appearance.

Jeanne still has a potty mouth in that game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
This thread has gone too far when we start calling the dialogue in Bayonetta 'classy'.

• Locked thread