Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blahshi
Apr 29, 2009
Wasn't sure how spoilers for 1 was handled, specifically form 1 and 2. 3 I just Vortex like you said, haha. But, I got the shooter bit, it's tedious but I remember how to do it. With 2 though, I took him down, but it just felt annoyingly busier than I remember, I wasn't a fan of it. Maybe I need to mess with that fight more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I liked the on rail shooting parts in DMC1 and Bayonetta :( I want a Kamiya Star Fox for Wii U.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd have minded the Space Harrier poo poo far less if it didn't a)last so goddamn long and b)be required whenever you want to redo the best boss fight in the game.

blahshi
Apr 29, 2009

AASman posted:

I liked the on rail shooting parts in DMC1 and Bayonetta :( I want a Kamiya Star Fox for Wii U.

I like the shooter in Bayonetta with the same catch everyone else brought up. I think I'd probably like the fight in DMC1 if it was its own level, haha.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I just started replaying DMC4 after 5 years, what's a bunch of good tips for Dante? I only remembered that Charge Shot 3 was broken on Nero, can't remember anything for Dante.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I just started replaying DMC4 after 5 years, what's a bunch of good tips for Dante? I only remembered that Charge Shot 3 was broken on Nero, can't remember anything for Dante.

Well, you probably want to take each of the styles and get a good feeling for what they do. There's probably not much point in starting with royal guard unless you're willing to spend a bit of time learning it, so trickster+swordmaster is a good combo that isn't super overwhelming. What specific types of tips are you looking for - things that are super powerful, general things, or?

Also, Kamiya:

神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏@PG_kamiya
gently caress OFF. RT @justsomeguy420: Please Hideki stand up against NT tell people the truth abut the quality of DmC.

Haha

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I just started beating DMD mode on DMC4 after a 5 year hiatus. The tips for Dante I have discovered boil down to:

~Learn how to make jump canceling awesome, it's how you crush bosses and bigger trash mobs.

~Move canceling between melee weapons and Royal Guard is how you become a Legendary Dark Knight.

~Pandora and Lucifer are hard to get used but they are both true murder machines.

~Distortion Attacks are just kind of like Nero's Max-Act system, if you DT at the exact moment you punch a guy they take mega damage.

Finally each boss has a cheese strategy that lets you nearly trivialize the fight, even on DMD mode, you just need to know the tricks. I'm only on Mission 16 or 17, I just beat Berial, and I'm actually looking forward to getting to Boss Rush as Nero now that I know all the strategies.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
How do I jump cancel again? It's kinda jarring going from Nero's pick a guy and beat the poo poo outta him to Dante's run around and beat everyone up playstyle. I was looking for the important moves that I otherwise wouldn't have known were powerful, like Nero's Charge shot. Was thinking of going Royal Guard / Swordsmaster since Royal Guard seemed like a nice challenge to master.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The simplest jump-cancel rhythm for Dante goes: launch enemy, attack in mid-air (normally using Swordsmaster Rebellion's or Dark Slayer's Aerial Rave), jump again while taking care to make sure you're on "top" of the enemy", repeat attack and jump. I think the Assaults (lizards with shields) are much easier to jump-cancel than the puppets are, so try it out on them if you want.

This is all much easier to do on bosses like Berial though. The guy is huge, so you'll probably be doing Enemy Step on him (the jump on enemy thing) accidentally most of the time. Also, you should take care to do the jump before the final strike in the attack chain; so for Rebellion that's three attacks and for Yamato you have to cancel immediately after the first strike.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYh-qMn6UNo. Get killin' stylishly.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 12, 2013

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

How do I jump cancel again? It's kinda jarring going from Nero's pick a guy and beat the poo poo outta him to Dante's run around and beat everyone up playstyle. I was looking for the important moves that I otherwise wouldn't have known were powerful, like Nero's Charge shot. Was thinking of going Royal Guard / Swordsmaster since Royal Guard seemed like a nice challenge to master.

When you are next to or above an enemy in the air you can press space and dante will jump off him. This resets all the stuff that you can only use once per jump, such as your air hike and combos. It's how you do CRAZY LONG INFINITE STUFF.

Talking of DMC4 this reminded me of n472as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-IM-dwUuQY

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Stick with Tricker to start with, it can get you out of trouble and help you close gaps between you and enemies now that you don't have access to the Devil Bringer. Once you get comfortable with that style and the rest of Dante's moves you can start experimenting with other styles, I recommend moving on to Swordmaster next.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The Royal Block secret mission is infurating. I just spent 1.5 hours trying to beat it. I managed to get to 4/5 2 or 3 times and failed. The timing with the piercing attack the Mephistos use seems quite weird, like you have to block the instant it pierces you, rather than the instant the attack comes. The slashing attack where they spin round seems easier to block. I've finished the game on all modes before on the 360 and this is on the PC, but I never really used the Royal Guard style. I suppose turning off turbo mode might help a little.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Neurosis posted:

The Royal Block secret mission is infurating. I just spent 1.5 hours trying to beat it. I managed to get to 4/5 2 or 3 times and failed. The timing with the piercing attack the Mephistos use seems quite weird, like you have to block the instant it pierces you, rather than the instant the attack comes. The slashing attack where they spin round seems easier to block. I've finished the game on all modes before on the 360 and this is on the PC, but I never really used the Royal Guard style. I suppose turning off turbo mode might help a little.

Keep in mind that if there's one attack you're really good at blocking, you can just avoid all the others. It's been a while since I've done this mission but I recommend killing one of the enemies and then only blocking attacks you're comfortable with.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having just completed it, I can try to help.

Start by turning the music all the way off and SFX all the way up.

Kill one of them (jump and use fireworks inside of them to instantly de-cloak them).

The spinning swipe is easy, they pause for a second before they strike.

The dive should be avoided, but you can actually totally get a perfect block if you hit it the second they are at the peak of their height gain.

The poke attack has an audio cue that indicates when to block, at the moment it is at it's highest pitch.

The camera was my greatest foe here, I always felt like the mob was trying to get between me and the camera, so stick to the middle of the room.

If you fail a few times and don't want to start over before the Blitz, you can go and farm the lizard men and swallow-you flowers in the previous area for health.

For what it's worth, I left turbo on because the game feels too slow without it and this mission is what got me to start experimenting with Royal Guard, which you need to learn for DMD mode fights.

It's a pain to get, but these are the tips that helped me!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 16, 2013

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Yeah that Royal Block secret mission is infuriating.

I've always kind of hated that dying in secret missions "counts". One of the most annoying things was how far back the checkpoint was.

The thing I always think about with Royal Guard is that you have to do it "late" to counter properly. Unlike a lot of moves in games where you have to start the action a little early, with RG you have to do it right at the right point. At least that's how I see it. I'm not very good.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wanted to play through every DMC and Bayo again before Revengance came out but i've only done Bayo, 4, 3 and most of DmC. I'm excited about bloody palace for DmC Tuesday because ill get to play without all the cut scenes and platforming in the way. I played through 4 more times than I can count so i'm not really gonna comment on it (still fun as hell). 3 has some of the most annoying enemies Jesus Christ. I'll take anything in DmC over Enigmas and Soul Eaters. gently caress YOU FALLEN. Its worst than I remember. I hadn't played it in years so I kept getting turned around and poo poo, I was very bad. But by the end it really made me learn everything all over again. it has a very different feel from 4. You can gradually tell how you're getting better, how each boss builds on the last and makes you respect them (The Arkham fight is brutal but I see the reason and it preps you for the final fight nicely). I really like the overall design but gently caress Enigmas.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

PoshAlligator posted:

Yeah that Royal Block secret mission is infuriating.

I've always kind of hated that dying in secret missions "counts". One of the most annoying things was how far back the checkpoint was.

The thing I always think about with Royal Guard is that you have to do it "late" to counter properly. Unlike a lot of moves in games where you have to start the action a little early, with RG you have to do it right at the right point. At least that's how I see it. I'm not very good.

Yeah, that's the experience I've been having. In that secret mission and elsewhere I generally block a tiny bit too early and don't get a royal block. Been too busy to complete the secret mission, but I'm finding the audio cues for the piercing attack aren't great because it comes a little too early. I'll get it done, though. Funny I finally picked up DMC 3 and 4 for the PC because of the DmC bundle but have played DMC 4 several times as much already as DmC, despite having finished the game many times and sunk well over 100 hours into it already.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Personally, my DMC4 save is at 19/20 health blocks and 3/4 blue orb fragments. The last mission? The take no damage one. I'm just too impatient. It also doesn't help that I'm pretty sure you can only do it as Dante and I'm just not as good with him as I am with Nero. I just love Exceed and Charge Shot. :sigh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, I'd forgotten how hard DMC1 was, everything dies so quickly compared to the later games, including Dante.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I recently got a copy of the HD collection for PS3. I'm getting a bug I think though when I play DMC3 and i try to switch weapons or targets, it will bring up one of the D-pad menu options. I'm fairly certain I'm not just pressing the d-pad by mistake. Is it a problem with my controller? Anyone else have this issue?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
After finishing DMC4 on Devil Hunter and thinking I was getting the hang of the game, nearly halfway through Son of Sparda, then I found out about Turbo Mode. Jesus gently caress this game is suddenly incredibly hard. Do I even have a hope of doing well on higher difficulties with Turbo Mode on, on a keyboard?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

After finishing DMC4 on Devil Hunter and thinking I was getting the hang of the game, nearly halfway through Son of Sparda, then I found out about Turbo Mode. Jesus gently caress this game is suddenly incredibly hard. Do I even have a hope of doing well on higher difficulties with Turbo Mode on, on a keyboard?

You don't have to use Turbo if you don't want to. It's just a mode you can toggle on if you think the combat could use a speed boost. Personally, I use it for (most of) Nero's sections on all difficulties since he's not that complex compared to Dante and charging shots takes forever; on the other hand, Turbo Mode with Dante can get really overwhelming in the harder difficulties so I keep it on normal speed.

Of course, you might find some stuff easier to do with Turbo on since you might be able to get into a rhythm easier. For example, I find it easier to consistently provoke and block shield bashes from Bianco Angelos and attack-block Blitzes with an active lightning shield on Turbo than on normal speed.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

I think the sped up animations are just throwing you off your timing, it will take a little while to adjust to, but the game doesn't become significantly harder. I can't play DMC4 without turbo now, it feels like wading through molasses.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

notZaar posted:

I think the sped up animations are just throwing you off your timing, it will take a little while to adjust to, but the game doesn't become significantly harder. I can't play DMC4 without turbo now, it feels like wading through molasses.

Yeah I think I'm just stuck in between modes right now. I turned off Turbo and was appalled at how Nero seemed to take forever to pull off a Stinger (Spread?). Turned in back on and couldn't get my Dante combos going right either. I don't know if I'd be able to switch between having it on for Nero and off for Dante.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Just leave it on and have a go or two at the Bloody Palace. You can practice your moves and timing without having to worry about cutscenes or level transitions.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Does anyone have some tips for how to reliably beat the blitzes as Nero? The only good way I've found is throw a gyro-blade in their faces but those aren't available all the time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hel posted:

Does anyone have some tips for how to reliably beat the blitzes as Nero? The only good way I've found is throw a gyro-blade in their faces but those aren't available all the time.

Charge shot them and I think there's a buster counter for one of their attacks.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
DT Buster, with liberal spamming of Shoot for summoned swords. You should be able to get 3 busters off if you corner it. Charge up shot 3 for when it goes red.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Dodge and use lvl 3 charged shots, when you're able to hit do a couple combos then DT and buster it.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Plus the buster (both devil and normal) is mashable for more hits so you should be spamming the poo poo out of the relevant buttons to get the most out of the attack.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So has there ever been anything 'in universe' confirming Nero's lineage or are we left to just assume he's Vergil's from the whole Blood of Sparda thing and Dante's general apathy towards him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think someone involved with the story of DMC4 went on the write two DMC books. Neither is canon because the first sort of directly contradicts the events of DMC3, but the second one makes total sense in universe and pretty clearly spells it out.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the books really count for much (besides of which, they are awful.) DMC4 purposely leaves Nero's past/lineage very vague, I don't think they really had anything concrete in mind. Not that it matters now, I doubt we'll ever see hide nor hair of Nero again.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 4, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There's actually been several books, not by the same author, but the scenario writer for 4 did write at least two volumes for one of DMC4.
There's a synopsis here.

Apparently some of it expands on poo poo that happens in 4, some of it is cut content, and it's never outright said that Nero is Vergil's son, but it's heavily implied. Even by DMC standards of story, I think it's a pretty dumb idea.

There's two books written by another author for DMC1 Dante and DMC2 Dante. The backstory of the first is meant to be a prequel to DMC1, following Dante as he lives under the name of "Tony Redgrave", him encountering "Gilver" fuckin' Corrupt Vergil, and him coming to terms with being Dante. Kamiya was lightly involved, but whatever it has in it (it's honestly rather underwhelming), it's not canon anyway, thanks to DMC3.

The DMC2 book is actually a prequel to DMC2, and is rear end, like DMC2. One of these days I might type out some of the poo poo. It's about a Cerberus statue that grants demonic powers or some poo poo, but because it was localised after DMC3 came out, they changed its name to the "Beastheads". Dante goes to a parallel world and fights an army of Trishes, and Mundus, again (but it happens offscreen) and is aided by Eva who led a resitance group of Mundus' former generals. It's not as good as it sounds.

There's also an unfinished comic adaption of DMC1 (never read it), two manga prequels of DMC3 (roughly exploring a year prior to them fighting in 3) which are also unfinished - there was meant to be a third, detailing Lady's backstory, that never got made - though honestly, any kind of prequel to 3 was largely unneeded.

There's the aformentioned two-volume novalisation of DMC4, and the anime, some characterisation of which is carried over into DMC4 (it sucks BTW).

And finally, a prequel comic of both dubious canon (and dubious quality) for the reboot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The biggest shame to me is that the potential character growth for Nero was so awesome.

I have this fan-fiction story about how post DMC2 Nero is this late 40's//early 50's posh and sophisticated gentleman. He wears a waistcoat and sweet boots and everything except his arm just screams refinement.
A hell mouth opens and the party gets crazy and we see that Nero has lived up to the family legacy. I always thought he could have a hybrid style where he dual-wields the Red Queen and Yamato, constantly switching between one and two-handed styles and moves with both blades thanks to his spectral demon arm. I always imagined it would be some hybrid fighting style of Agni & Rudra, Red Queen and Yamato. He could just as easily impress with some martial arts, just imagine having Gilgamesh's move set but with a 3rd fist in the mix, following up any move with a surprise buster, uppercut or demon choke slam.

Anyways in my story Nero ends up fighting his way to the hell mouth (He and Kyrie have a halfway house for people whose families were murdered by demons, hence why he cares still) and eventually he discovers the boss is basically the Dante version of Nelo Angelo.

I always thought it would make sense if Dante goes to hell at the end of the established cannon (DMC2) then what would stop the same thing that happens to Vergil in DMC3 from happening to him? Nero fights with and against the ghost of Vergil (in the form of a Devil Triggered Doppleganger) to defeat Nelo Dantus and free Dante's rad soul forever, finally ending the trials of the sons of Sparda.

The highlight of writing his for me was the climactic battle between Nero, Vergil and Dante. I love these characters and their stories, I hope we will see them again someday.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Here's the perfect Devil May Cry story:

"Demons stole my pizza, dude!"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Here's the perfect Devil May Cry story:

"Demons stole my pizza, dude!"

Trish bursts into Dante's shop.

"Dante, I saw some demons doin' demon stuff or whatever!"

"Looks like this party's gonna get--"

"Also, they said you look like a dork!"

"SAY WHAAAAAAAAAT?"

*building explodes, Dante surfs through the air on a flaming jukebox, title screen*

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

DMC 3 question:

For Quicksilver and Doppelganger, and to a lesser extent Gunslinger, are those just styles you only pick of you have a pretty drat good reason for not picking Swordmaster/Trickster/Royal Guard? I haven't even finished my first playthrough yet but I went back to mission 1 to try out other styles since until now I've basically stuck with Swordmaster all game. Out of the three, Gunslinger is the only one I could see myself using for fun but even then I miss being able to do things like air combo with Rebelion without just doing a Helm Breaker all the time.

Should I even bother trying them out? I feel like I was going more damage without the styles that were draining my DT and just triggering manually. I still need to try out Royal Guard, but for the time being I'm back with Swordmaster so I can pick up from the last mission I left off.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Lady bursts into Dante's shop.

"Dante, I saw some demons doin' demon stuff or whatever!"

"Looks like this party's gonna get--"

"Also, they said you look like a dork!"

"SAY WHAAAAAAAAAT?"

*building explodes, Dante surfs through the air on a flaming jukebox, title screen*

There, made it even better for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

DMC 3 question:

For Quicksilver and Doppelganger, and to a lesser extent Gunslinger, are those just styles you only pick of you have a pretty drat good reason for not picking Swordmaster/Trickster/Royal Guard? I haven't even finished my first playthrough yet but I went back to mission 1 to try out other styles since until now I've basically stuck with Swordmaster all game. Out of the three, Gunslinger is the only one I could see myself using for fun but even then I miss being able to do things like air combo with Rebelion without just doing a Helm Breaker all the time.

Should I even bother trying them out? I feel like I was going more damage without the styles that were draining my DT and just triggering manually. I still need to try out Royal Guard, but for the time being I'm back with Swordmaster so I can pick up from the last mission I left off.

Doppleganger allows a second player to control it.

Quicksilver can do some fun tricks but otherwise yes is just a gimmick style.

• Locked thread