Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Probably my favorite thing about the Devil May Cry series is the learning curve. The more you play, the better you get at the games. And it's more than just knowing a level layout, or getting used to the controls. Your characters are so acrobatic and potentially powerful, that you get better and better at using them all the time.

You also really learn everything about the enemies, what their attacks look like, what the best way to dodge them is, which enemies you should deal with first, etc. It gets to the point where you can be in the midst of a big group of enemies, slashing away constantly, and also dodging all their attacks perfectly as if it's all been choreographed in advance. Feels pretty amazing.

You can feel yourself getting better, to the point where you can utterly decimate things that were challenging to you the first time around. And it's not necessarily because of your upgrades and such, but because you know everything your opponents are going to do, and how to throw it back in their faces while devastating them at the same time.

Also, if anyone here loves DMC but hasn't played Bayonetta yet, do it now. Bayonetta's freaking awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

notZaar posted:

I don't want this thread to get archived before the next bit of hype rolls out, so I'll share some thoughts on the HD collection. I've been playing DMC and DMC3, and playing both so close together I really start to question whether 3 is the best from the PS2 generation. Obviously it's much deeper, but I wouldn't necessarily say the controls are any snappier. The original game still holds up very well control wise. From a design perspective, DMC3 can't even approach the original. The left over Resident Evil design philosophy really adds a lot, and the soundtrack is really great in the HD collection, I forgot how creepy DMC can be in the night levels before you go to the Underworld.
Finally, I noticed that the guns and Devil Trigger have a lot more pop in the original game. They just feel really powerful. Especially the shotgun, compared it to the pitifully weak DMC3 shotgun and you can really see the difference.

I agree with a lot of your points, especially about the atmosphere. It really adds something that none of the other DMC games have.

DMC3 has a lot more enemies, but a lot of them are very similar, and there's none that I really love like the Shadow or the Blitz. I also don't like the emphasis on Devil Trigger Explosions. I prefer DT as being a temporary awesome-mode, like in DMC1.

Having replayed DMC1 on the HD collection, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding whether DMC1 or DMC4 is my favorite of the series. DMC4 takes a ton of cues from DMC1, which I love, especially in regards to enemy design. The SSS kills are DMC1 Critical Hits resurrected. I freakin LOVE Critical Hits, by the way. Especially against Blades. Jumping around, shotgunning them, knocking them over, and then bringing that sword down on their spines for an instant kill... so awesome.

Ifrit's my favorite weapon in the series. I've always loved the gauntlets, and Ifrit has a hell of a punch without taking too long to charge. The ability to throw freakin fireballs is just wonderful, and Inferno is super powerful and satisfying to use.

I've also decided that Nightmare 3 is my favorite boss in the series. Once you know enough about it, it's not a reactive fight at all like most bosses, because you know exactly what he's going to do next, and how to get him to do what you want. It's like you're following choreographed steps, and it's a lot of fun having such control over a boss.

Also, DMC1's DMD mode is easily my favorite in the series. DMC4's is too easy, and DMC2's and 3's can both be tedious, but DMC1's really hits the sweet spot for me. Fights are usually brutally fast, with you either demolishing your opponent or getting destroyed.

It also has my favorite soundtrack of the series. Some of the boss themes are just fantastic.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Pesky Splinter posted:

* NO TAUNT BUTTON!

These guys have no idea what they are doing. Have they even played the good DMC games? This game is reminding me more and more of DMC2 every time I hear about it. Even his super springy jump looks like it's straight from DMC2. And that boss looks plain hideous. At least the combat looks a bit more interesting than DMC2, but that's like saying a loud, public fart is better than making GBS threads your pants.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

notZaar posted:

Speaking of LP, I hope AccountingNightmare continues her DMC4 LP someday soon.

I want to get back to it someday, as I really hate leaving it sitting around unfinished. Right now I'm going through some really nasty RL stuff, so I can only hope that things settle down in the future and that I can start dedicating time to it again. I actually haven't played the game in quite a while, so I'd need to restart practicing as Dante all over again. So it won't be soon, but I have hopes I will finish it one day.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

The weird thing about this game (okay, one of the many weird things) is that it feels like it's made for an entirely different audience. A DMC game made for non-DMC fans. I guess that's the point of a reboot, but a good reboot doesn't throw the old fans out the window, while still appealing to people new to the franchise.

I've seen plenty of people comment, "Screw the whiners, I don't even like Devil May Cry but I'm gonna buy this game cause it looks awesome." Meanwhile the game seems to be doing all it can to repel DMC fans. I wish this game wasn't so far away still. I want it to just come out so we can see if it's good or bad, and then hopefully move on to anticipating DMC5.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

After looking at that move list, I was getting a bit hopeful, even with the stupid double-tap Stinger. It looks like there's a lot of move cancels in there, which is incredibly important for a DMC game. But then I got to the part where auto-lock is really as bad as I'd imagined, and the evade ability is broken. Hopefully they can get this stuff ironed out before release.

What I really hate is all the glowing previews the game is receiving from press, such as the article above. They constantly reassure us entitled whingers that we have nothing to worry about, that we should just shut up, and that this game is totally just like the other DMCs... and then make it excruciatingly clear that they've only played the first DMC at the most. I stopped taking the article seriously as soon as they mentioned that "this game doesn't have a fixed camera like the others, wow!"

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Have they shown any boss besides the hideous worm thing yet?

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Didn't realize this was out, so I only just tried it.

I spent the entire first level wrestling with the controls. Not having a lock-on just messed me up completely, but I eventually got used to it. I still find it hilarious there's two evade buttons which do exactly the same thing but no taunt button. I do like how the Launch button functions as a "knock-down" button in the air, though.

I'm assuming the choppy framerate during cutscenes is a stylistic thing but it looks like poo poo.

I kinda like the Angel/Devil grab mechanic, even if I'm still trying to remember which is which. Are there any directional input moves in the game? I kept trying to do Stingers and such and just kept screwing myself over.

I tried SoS mode, and the problems with having no lock-on became apparent very quickly. No, game, I was trying to Devil grab the flying angel dude, not the currently-immune-to-grabs chainsaw guy. I liked the enemy design though, except those terrible Red and Blue enemies (the ones who are only vulnerable to one weapon). Throw them both together with no lock-on and it's an exercise in frustration, and not in a good way.

Also, am I the only one who finds the weapon switching to be rather laggy sometimes? Quite often, I'd try to Devil grab a guy only to find myself firing Ebony and Ivory at him. Maybe it's just my controller.

The boss fight was a complete joke. She assaults your ears with abysmal dialogue and horrible, endless screaming and shouting, sometimes overlapping. My god. And I thought you guys were joking about the Slurm thing, but nope, it really is just the Slurm idea lifted straight from Futurama.

I tried to get in her face for a while to fight her, but it feels like it takes forever. I backed off and parried instead, which finished her so much faster. Not very DMC-ish. I also had to laugh when I backed off for the first time and she just stared at me for 6+ seconds doing nothing.

Overall I had fun with it, but it doesn't feel even remotely like a Devil May Cry to me.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Also the sound kept cutting out on her stage (I'm on PS3 and I have never had this issue with any other game, before or since).

This happened for me, too. The sound cuts out extremely often throughout the demo, but most often in the boss fight. It even cut out during a loading screen for several seconds. Hopefully it's just a problem with the demo.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

To the other people who felt the game had input lag, especially with the weapon changes, were you playing the 360 version or the PS3 version? I was playing the PS3 version.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

I had no problems with that fight originally, but then when I was playing on Turbo mode on the PC, I found it had a HUGE bump in difficulty. Try turning off Turbo just for that mission if you have it on.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Neurosis posted:

The Royal Block secret mission is infurating. I just spent 1.5 hours trying to beat it. I managed to get to 4/5 2 or 3 times and failed. The timing with the piercing attack the Mephistos use seems quite weird, like you have to block the instant it pierces you, rather than the instant the attack comes. The slashing attack where they spin round seems easier to block. I've finished the game on all modes before on the 360 and this is on the PC, but I never really used the Royal Guard style. I suppose turning off turbo mode might help a little.

Keep in mind that if there's one attack you're really good at blocking, you can just avoid all the others. It's been a while since I've done this mission but I recommend killing one of the enemies and then only blocking attacks you're comfortable with.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Coughing Hobo posted:

DMC3 Special Edition has turbo mode for PS2, but only DMC4 for PC has turbo mode and Legendary Dark Knight mode.

On top of that, the Super costumes are more fun on PC (Super Nero gets auto Max Acts, and Super Dante gets infinite Disaster and Royal Guard meters).

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

WeaponBoy posted:

The only problem is that I loving hate the Sanctus fight. Sanctus 2 is ok because the room is smaller and he doesn't have that Phase 2 'gently caress it, I'm just going to escape and reset the bubble' bullshit. Sometimes he just runs away and never loving stops to cast a spell so you can get in and punch him. I'd say it's a toss up between Sanctus 1 and the Saviour as worst fight in that game.

Ah, who am I kidding, it's the Saviour.

He's running away because you're trying to approach him. When you break his first shield, stay at range until he starts to attack, then you can move in while he's committed. Calibur is incredible here. Here's a video.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Dante's order is Middle, Behind, Right, Right iirc.

Edit: Spoiler tagged in case he doesn't want the answer straight out.

AccountingNightmare fucked around with this message at Mar 23, 2013 around 02:39

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

notZaar posted:

If you mean Credo, you can technically fight him as Dante in the bloody palace, but yeah it sucks spending a hour+ of playtime just to get to him (if you even can get that far, I never have.)

If you're playing the PC version, you can use a trainer called SpoilerAL to jump straight to Credo's (or Dante's) floor. And you can turn off that drat Bloody Palace timer too while you're at it.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

On that note, the Vergil DLC is currently on sale for $2.24 on Steam. Grab it now if you want it!

AccountingNightmare fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2014 around 02:29

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

When I finished DMC4 for the first time, I thought it was a setup for a DMC5 starring both Dante and Nero, bringing Vergil back somehow as a plot point and unlockable character. I'm not sure how they would have worked it out storywise but let's face it, none of us would care if the story was generic enough to support whichever character you choose to play as. Or just have the three of them travelling as a team and you get to choose who to play in each level. Would it be weird that the other two aren't helping you fight that boss? At first yeah but the tradeoff would be so awesome.

Of course the other solution is playable co-op but I'm not delusional enough to hope for that. It's weird - my imaginary DMC5 seemed so blindingly obvious to me back then. "Of COURSE that's what they'll do. Why wouldn't they?" I was then left very puzzled when the reboot was announced.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Holy crap. It's what I was hoping for from the HD Collection (which didn't happen of course because Capcom). Now I wish even more that they'd port the HD Collection to PC so we can mod it to make the ultimate version of DMC3.

The mod creator said they're going to see if weapons can be swapped in the same way. That would be so amazing.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Oop, someone reminded me that the links on the archive were dead and then I completely forget. I'll get in contact with someone to have them fixed. Here's the Youtube playlist of the LP: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...92CD36D7D13A857

But yeah, DMC2 has a few offensively bad moments (particularly certain boss fights), but overall it's just really bland and lifeless.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Hel posted:

Wasn't there one boss in the first game that had their some attacks become invisible due to some graphical effects not firing in the remake?

Yes, Mundus 2 (aka the most difficult boss in the game on DMD mode who already has a lot of RNG bullshit attached) has an air slice/shockwave attack which is now invisible, at least on the PS3 version. As if I needed any more reasons to hate that boss.

Still hoping they bring the HD collection to Steam, though. DMC3 deserves a proper PC port (so someone can mod in that sweet, sweet style-switching mechanic), and DMC1 is still an enjoyable game if you know what you're getting into. It has some awesome boss fights, and it just perfectly nailed DMD mode difficulty for me.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

This is going to sound strange, but I thought I saw a Dagon quick kill on Youtube years ago involving a level 2 Just Charged Distorted Straight. The fight only took 6-7 seconds and the Straight somehow connected with Dagon's tongue right off the bat, killing him hilariously quickly. But now I can't find this video for the life of me. Is it real or was it some kind of fever dream?

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Thanks all, but I just found the video I was thinking of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6sp6kmVTFA I misremembered and it took 16 seconds. Still awesome.

As far as new DMC games go, I'd be happy with just a PC port of the HD collection at this point.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Actual DMC news? Am I dreaming?!

I'm pumped for both of these. I still haven't played the new DmC so this sounds like an excellent opportunity to check it out as it sounds improved in every way.

DMC4 SE though... wow I can't wait for more details. There's so many little changes they can make to improve the game even if they don't put in the effort to overhaul Dante's missions. Make the Bloody Palace more interesting... give us alternate costumes... let us play as Dante in Nero's missions without a mod and vice versa...

We'll also finally find out if Devil Trigger Distortion is a bug or a feature.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

So does anyone have any tips for Royal Guarding The Savior's massive death beam in DMC4? I was hoping to include it in the LP but I can't seem to pull it off. I know I have to start guarding high enough in the air that I won't touch the ground and reset my animation, and I can sometimes get 4 guards in a row, but I can't get further than that. Is it simple button mashing or is there a (very fast) rhythm to it?

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

ImpAtom posted:

Oh poo poo, i didn't realize your LP had started again! Awesome!'

Honestly, I just did it with a simple rhythm. Just tap-tap-tap-tap-tap

Thanks, I finally did it! I think I was trying to go too fast.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

"Defeat Dante in the Bloody Palace without taking any damage." I sure hope someone makes a new SpoilerAL trainer for this game. A 3-hour playing session for one attempt at this is crazy.

"Clear all missions in Legendary Dark Knight Mode with an S Ranking." And this is interesting! The original DMC4 didn't care what ranking you got in the gimmick difficulties and didn't even save it as a high score. The Total Rankings page only keeps track of the four main difficulties. Perhaps this is changing?

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

The PC version will probably get cool mods and trainers if that matters to you.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Point taken that there are a lot of garbage visual mods. But there are also mods to let you fight two Berials at once or trainers to skip straight to Credo/Dante in the Bloody Palace. I doubt any of these work for the Special Edition yet though.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

I just started playing the Special Edition and they changed the "Speed" ability to kick in almost immediately while moving. This is the best.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Just finished playing through the SE with Nero/Dante. The motion blur and depth of field blurring are starting to get to me and I really hope they release a patch soon, because while people have found a way to turn them off it involves hex editing.

Most of the changes I noticed were very minor but might as well list them:

The game vomits up Red Orbs like no tomorrow. I bought all the Blue Orbs and Purple Orbs long before I finished my first playthrough.
As I noted before, the Speed ability now kicks in almost immediately which is awesome. It also seems to be a bit context sensitive. I was afraid it'd screw me up while doing the laser puzzles in Missions 9 & 10 but it didn't kick in. It also didn't kick in during the disappearing platform segments in Mission 7. It did kick in during the Free Running Secret Mission but apart from that it did all the right things. Great change.
Trickstering off a ledge no longer triggers the long jump into Speed ability, presumably because you don't need to do that anymore. Streak and Stinger off a ledge still do it though.
The tutorial against Dante at the start of the game is now tied to the Tutorial menu option, so you skip it if you turn tutorials off. This does make sense but you miss out on most of the Nero vs Dante cutscenes as a result which is a shame.
Boss music now fades out when the end of boss cutscene starts instead of ending abruptly.
I don't know if they changed Gladius AI but I had a bit of trouble in the Containment Room despite upgrading Snatch to level 3. The buggers dodged 90% of my Snatches. It's been a long time since I did the Containment Room though so this might not actually be a change.
Secret Missions are now no longer present for characters who can't do them. Very good change. Now people won't be wandering into the Royal Guard Secret Mission as Nero and wondering wtf a Royal Block is.
The final buster against Sanctus in Mission 20 bugged and didn't give me the triple-replay effect or the Jackpot! I haven't tried it again yet.
Only one save slot.
There's an extra message at the end of the game thanking you for playing.

Again it's mostly dumb small stuff. Now to play through as Lady/Trish.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

I just took Lady, Trish and Vergil for a spin. Holy poo poo. They're all amazingly unique but Trish might be my fav so far. Her ground slam move is what Dante's should have been. The Round Trip stun locks and then the ground slam just covers the screen with lightning and everything explodes oh god.

I also forgot to mention in my last post that they didn't fix Dante's DT distortion and I'm happy.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

RichterIX posted:

I am really bad at this game but I'm having a very good time.

I haven't played it since it originally came out (and I didn't play it much then), and I think playing so much Revengeance in the meantime has broken my brain. Nero doesn't seem very mobile, and I keep expecting there to be an "oh poo poo" button like Raiden's active defense.

Another "oh poo poo" button for Nero is activating Devil Trigger once you get it. When he Triggers, it either stuns or knocks nearby enemies into the air and also gives him some invincibility frames.

ImpAtom posted:

That is a weird-as-hell thing to remove.

It's probably because the game now autosaves instead of letting you choose to save. They want you to have to back out to the menu which will trigger an autosave. It's still a questionable change though.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

These are from pages ago but I only just caught up with the thread.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I really despise Berials fist uppercut since it has almost no tell. You could also do any fight with him the same way and it'll be totally random if he'll do it or not. So it becomes a race to stick near his face to stun him quickly but not get uppercutted out of the air. Or just chump with distortion/lucifer/shotgun/charge shot lvl 3/summon swords. Dude just sucks compared to Cerberus and Phantom despite the cool design.

He only does the uppercut with his right arm so stick closer to his front left if you're going for the head.

Fereydun posted:

i'm assuming you mean the other way around, as in "i'm amazed you'd say arkham is better than sanctus"
with nero sanctus (2/final boss) is literally nonthreatening while having a fuckton of stretches where your best option is to basically be doing nothing because you need to constantly close the gap between you and him so you can hit him
like there's even the gimmick with the devil bringer snatch lil things that scream "hey grab me" but why the gently caress would you do that when running at him is way easier and safer outside of the rare occasion where those things are actually useful and bring you to him fast enough to hit him
the entire fight is just you chasing him for the significant majority of the fight with no real input until he actually stops in place and does an attack that he commits to, and then it's just you hammering on him with the only real threat being your increased boredom because oh boy you get to keep chasing him. attacking him/damaging him is absolutely not the meat of the fight, it's running around bored out of my goddamned mind

You shouldn't be having to chase him that much. Don't constantly run at him, especially once his first shield is broken, because it'll just cause him to run away. Wait for him to attack then counterattack with a Calibur. Most of his attacks can be counter attacked (except for shooting the yellow lamps at you). If you're doing it right it feels like the majority of the fight is just beating him up on the ground and watching the Buster animation.

Fereydun posted:

have i been doing the arkham fight wrong? i don't get what you mean by 'sit in the corner and mash shoot'

i pick swordmaster and kalina ann/e&i and run away from dolphins while rocketing them til they start spinning then do million carats/ice sphere over and over until theyre all dead and the guy shows up
then i switch to beowulf and do jc hammer over and over and repeat until vergil comes
and after vergil comes i just start mashing like crazy on cerberus jump attack jc or killer bee jc to avoid the missiles for the big guy
when the dolphins show up its just kalina ann jc/switch cancel + pray vergil does something by mashing out rapid slashes with him until they go away or wait for them to start spinning and then DTE-> revolver my way out of/into trouble

How do you deal with the grab attack in phase 2? Is there a tell for it or can you attack him from a certain side/height to avoid it?

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Started playing as Vergil and he's pretty fun! I love his Summoned Swords abilities. I'm not sure I really get his Concentration mechanic though yet. Does it boost damage and style points or is it solely for unlocking Judgement Cut End? I thought it would unlock a bunch of moves like Trish's Round Trip.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Thanks! I knew how to build the meter, i just wasn't sure what cool stuff I would get out of it apart from the Yamato super. Good to know it increases damage and powers up some moves!

I really love all 3 new characters. I do wish Lady had more moves, though. I feel like her charge shots don't gel well with the rest of her moveset because you have to lock yourself down temporarily to an even smaller movepool. I love the hell out of Trish though. Her electric moves are so fun to use.

nozh posted:

This drove me nuts in the original PC port of DMC4, and it's driving me nuts again in the Special Edition.

I'm using a wireless XBox 360 controller to play and the dead zone on it is completely hosed for this game. I tested it in Dark Souls 2, Batman: Arkham Origins, and some others where a sensitive dead zone is important for movement, but I only experience it loving up in DMC4:SE. Is there a driver I can download that will allow me to make it more responsive? It's miserable trying to run towards an enemy to keep a combo up, or even just traversing levels and having the character just slow to a crawl and have to jiggle the controller around to get it to recognize to run. Please tell me I am not the only one with this problem.

I used to use a 360 wireless controller with DMC4 and didn't have this issue. Are you using the official drivers? https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/...ler-for-windows

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

I'm not sure I understand Vergil's Trick mechanic. It seems like if I have a Summoned Sword in an enemy, Trick Up gets replaced by Air Trick, even if I'm not holding RB like the movelist says. Is this intended or am I doing something wrong? I haven't played DMC3 Vergil in a hilariously long time.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

notZaar posted:

Press the style button to do a trick up. Press the style button while locked on to a grip point or an enemy to do a teleport. That's all there is to it.

I just double-checked and Vergil was definitely doing Air Trick (teleport to enemy) instead of Trick Up (teleport directly up) with no buttons held. My lock-on button isn't stuck or anything. As soon as the Summoned Sword expired, he went back to doing Trick Up.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't realize that changing Dante's costume changes his costume for other characters boss-fighting him too. That kind of owns.

Yeah, a summoned sword changes your target to whoever it is impaled in.

Brutakas posted:

Even the regular shoot button summoned swords will mark a target and change Trick Up to Air Trick.

EDIT: Also, Vergil is now my title screen voice. Neat.

EDIT EDIT: Trish's S rank taunt blows a kiss that does damage. Amazing.

Thanks! This is a shame; I thought Trick Up was going to be really useful for avoiding damage, but I have to remember to either stop using Summoned Swords or keep a stock of Trigger handy for Trick Down. It's a bit more effort than the other characters.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Szurumbur posted:

I would have no problem with that if the game asked me if I wanted to do it, actually getting better results each time culminating in a win was a great moment, and then I learn they had to make him easier for me to win, no thanks. It does make a certain amount of sense - after all, I can't try the mission on a lower difficulty until I get there in a story - but just make it a choice and all is well.

It would be nice if it could be turned off at will. It's turned off for Dante Must Die mode though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Pureauthor posted:

It is? Is this just for the SE or is it true in the vanilla as well? By DMD I got into the habit of restarting the whole thing oncec I died 2 or 3 times.

Pretty sure it was true in vanilla as well. I know I was hitting "Continue" in Mission 1 over and over when recording it for my LP and it never kicked in.

Edit: It also worked like that in DMC3 afaik. Yes, DMC3 had an Enemy Handicap system. Except it didn't even have the decency to tell you about it. I discovered it while practicing a boss for the LP way back in the day.

AccountingNightmare fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2015 around 12:59

• Locked thread
«2 »