Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
With Blitzes and Frosts I feel like they were built and tuned around non-turbo mode, because Turbo wasn't added till the PC port and it makes their slash move come out blindingly fast. I should count the frames in one of my recordings one day, because it's really quite absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
It is disappointing that the new characters didn't get their own sweet battle music. :smith:

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
If you don't care about rank, you can skip the majority of Mission 16 as Vergil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4oVXC5AgF0

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Fereydun posted:

you can do this with trish too, but in a longer and dumber manner- you just triplejump (with DT, to cut down on time) and then do her lunar phase->buffered pandora rocket launcher over and over because it actually makes you rise in height
see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJTjdO6W1-g

I love this. :allears:

notZaar posted:

Someone really needs to mod Vergil's dodges and teleports to work without summoned swords and DT, his limited defensive mobility is seriously starting to irritate me on SoS. VMD is going to be brutal.

Yeah I love all 3 new characters but I feel like the designers dropped the ball when it comes to their defensive options, and as a result all 3 have weaker defensive options than Nero and Dante.

Nero has double-jump, table hopper, and on-demand access to temporary invincibility.
Dante has double-jump, trickster dash, sky star, and air trick with ALL of these things beefed up in DT, not to mention royal guard.
Lady has double-jump and invincibility during her grenade DT (which burns all her DT, making it weaker than Nero's version as a defensive option). Does her grenade hop (back + attack) have invincibility frames?
Trish has double-jump and triple-jump in DT.
Vergil has trick up/air trick (only access to one at a time, making it rather confusing for muscle memory) and trick down in DT. He also can't simply run around like the other characters can without tanking his Concentration Meter.

If I've missed something or have misunderstood something please let me know. I've only done one playthrough with each of the new characters and am worried what DMD mode is going to be like. I really hate the roll ability in DMC games because it just feels so awkward and weak compared to double-jump etc.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Beef Chief posted:

Frosts, Fausts, and Blitzes are all bastards in DMD and they are in an abundance. Even as Nero Frosts generally duck away if you try to buster them so your most effective option against every enemy is Charge Shot LV3 because that p much kills everything in two shots. Higher-tiered monsters generally don't let you make mistakes against them or you eat poo poo. Maybe it's because I made the mistake of doing DMD mode first with Nero/Dante without their upgrades and other weapons so I can't stuff out everything with Pandora Laser or Real Impact, but the higher-tiered enemies don't take your poo poo on DMD unless you just methodically CS LV3 everything which they can't do anything about.

The game's not really balanced for doing new game DMD runs which is why you normally can't access it. Offering it as DLC was a strange move on Capcom's part. Even then though it's not that hard (except Mission 1 which is brutal) because you get tons of Proud Souls quickly and can unlock the basics of your moveset. I haven't noticed any of those enemies having a ton more health on DMD, they just punish you by design for letting them recloak (Faust) or regenerate (Frost). And Blitzes just always take a bit of time to kill, sometimes for dumb reasons (stop wriggling around Blitz you arsehole). Enemies usually don't do much damage in this game though so it's not a huge deal.

Fausts are probably the easiest to handle of those 3, even in new game DMD. As Nero use Showdown when they're decloaked (mash shoot to keep them stunned with Summoned Swords while the move winds up). You do encounter at least one before getting Devil Trigger but again, that's because this sort of playthrough isn't really intended. As Dante you have Gilgamesh by the time these enemies show up and should have plenty of Proud Souls to level Swordmaster, allowing you to DRI them. As for Frosts, you can skip Dante's first Frost fight and as Nero you can bowl over them pretty hard with Exceeded Streaks and Double Downs. When they're knocked on their butt you should be able to Snatch and Buster them. You can also Snatch and Buster them during some of their attack animations. Nero's Charge Shot level 3 is incredible but it's not his only good move and should be used in conjunction with his other moves, not in place of them.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Beef Chief posted:

I didn't pay for it on DLC, you can unlock difficulties by doing lower ones with other characters.

Oh I didn't notice this somehow! I've only done Devil Hunter in the Special Edition so far so I need to get to work unlocking those.

And yeah the window boss is quite a pain on Turbo especially. Another nice way of decloaking Blitzes as Dante is to wait for them to do the teleport explosion and then do a Distorted Level 2 Straight (you won't need to just charge it) while they're standing around. It'll decloak them in one hit. Of course this requires them to do that move and sometimes they just don't want to cooperate. I have such a love/hate relationship with Blitzes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Fereydun posted:

"There was also a time when 'DMC' was titled 'Karnival.' Kamiya-san was adamant that it be 'Karnival' with a 'K,' not a 'C.'" - Yuichiro Hiraki, motion artist (DMC1)

Well that explains the song from DMC1's OST titled "Karnival": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irfjUv95aE4 I always thought that was a strange name.

• Locked thread