Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Alteisen posted:

This is my tin foil hat wearing side speaking but...

The game sells like poo poo and Capcom justifies killing the franchise, why would they do this? I don't know, maybe so they can make more Street Fighters and Resident Evils.
Anyone who seriously believes a publisher would intentionally waste millions of dollars on a game meant to fail is a crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oddly, I got bored of Sigma 1 after fighting Alma the first time, but enjoyed all of Sigma 2.

I agree that the most annoying thing about the games is all of the really awesome fancy long combos that were suicide to actually use. Instead in almost any encounter it was best to kill one enemy, then start jump-charging super moves using the stuff they dropped. That always seemed like bad combat design to me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I like them about equally. You should play 3 if you haven't. I'm sure you'll like it if you liked 4.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
This is amazing, so glad I checked this thread again.

The only downside is that now it's going to be disappointing when DMC5 doesn't have 5 distinct characters on release.

In conclusion,

Coughing Hobo posted:

The time has come and so have I :madmax:

EDIT: The install size for the SE on steam is more than 3x the original port. Either they improved the textures or they switched to uncompressed cutscenes and audio or something.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 15, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

Besides jumping and the dodge roll, what are other good ways to avoid damage?
That's it for most characters (and it's generally enough since you can cancel almost anything into jump or dodge.) For Dante you can use the royal guard style but it requires timed blocks to completely negate damage.

DMC has always encouraged a very, very aggressive play style. Stunlocking anything that gets close to you does most of the work.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Kind of. I'm not that far in the game yet but I find I do need to be careful about using her big slow moves. If you don't have the space she does have faster moves like shotgun stinger (the followup attack is absurdly strong for something with no charge), pistol/shotgun charges, and the grappling hook.

And of course save DT burst to clear out crowds.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Might be something you can change in options? Seems like a bad idea though, since you're constantly locking and unlocking to do moves.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Every enemy in the game was built on the assumption that the player's ranged attacks are much weaker than their melee so it was inevitable Lady would break things to some extent. I'm glad they went ahead with her anyway.

Also I think that's still slower than Dante can chump Berial with a few distorted real impacts.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 24, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Have there been any performance complaints about the PS4 version yet? People on neogaf have been complaining about framerate issues and lack of video options on the PC version (you can't turn off motion blur and SSAO and stuff like that) but sometimes neogaf is like the blu-ray.com of videogames.
If there's a framerate issue it must be hardware- or driver-specific because without the 60fps limiter on my machine does 130 fps with everything on ultra and it's like three years old.

You don't really need fine-grained rendering options when anything above integrated graphics will run the game as well as it can possibly be run. :shrug:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 25, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

How's the PC port for the SE?
Great. Even if you have older hardware it'll run fine since it's still mostly a 7 year old game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Maybe swap it with devil trigger if you don't like the travel on the triggers since EX-ACT has really narrow timing? I managed to pull it off fairly consistently after some practice but it's probably easier that way.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Can Lady deflect Nelo Angelo's spears with any of her gun moves or does only melee work?

Also, another dice tip: it always rotates in the same order, so once you see which number comes before the one you want it's easy to hit even with Lady's melee.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Fereydun posted:

dmc4 gunslinger really is a huge disappointment though, i hope they fix that in 5
Yeah Lady really shows what gunslinger should be.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

I can comfortably fight on Normal without mixing it up too much, but fighting two white angels, trying to juggle charge shot, moves that need locking on and exceed is simply beyond me, and those are relatively simple to fight. I can't seem to get those three/four things done at once, but I'd like the numbers to go higher! Is there some trick to that?
If you're playing the game for the very first time just concentrate on making the correct melee combos happen when you want them to and how various enemies interact with the buster moves. I don't think I learned the advanced Nero stuff until late in SoS or the start of DMD when I played.

Anyway, once you've got the basics down add gun charging. It's just a matter of holding a shoulder button down while you do other things and then releasing it once the glow turns orange.

And once you've got that add exceed charging. Protip: the lazy way I did it was to just learn the timing for the first hit of the vanilla melee combo and then use that before you do a big move.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

Still, if there's 20 missions then that's already 2 wasted
DMC4 is one of those games designed to be played on three difficulties one after another. On higher difficulties nastier enemies show up earlier and gain new abilities, so really it's more like 60 missions. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Beef Chief posted:

God of War has really cool setpieces and QTEs, it's my favorite bad hack n slash.
Yeah this is how I always felt about it.

Heavenly Sword is the runner up for similar reasons.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Any game where you beat up a pope is cool with me. I think that's just DMC4 and Assassin's Creed 2 though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Wait, am I to understand that if you play as Vergil and play like his boss fights, he gets stronger? Like walking and sheathing his sword and stuff like that is an actual game mechanic? I need to buy DMC4. I loved 3. Thought the reboot was mediocre. Might as well give DMC4 a shot. It's gotta be cheap by now, right?
If you loved 3 you should know that in the special edition of 4 that just came out you can play as Lady.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I can guess how dreadnought got designed: "invulnerability? That's pretty powerful, better give it a bunch of big drawbacks!" Then it turned out not to be worth the trouble to use since every encounter in the game is designed to be beaten without it.

Same goes for RG in general, really. There are some cool tricks you can do with it but usually the effort:reward ratio is out of whack.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I reflected the angelo hadoken accidentally while jumping as Trish, thanks to that skill that makes it an attack. Trish is the best.

I found the most annoying enemy for her is hellhounds. I probably should have just tried lasering them.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 9, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Tag climax or farm the stage where you pilot the witch robots with the auto-taunt accessory equipped. Since every hit they do counts as a wicked weave they generate insane combo scores and halos. Yoshesque made 350k halos in her LP run of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If Capcom takes one lesson away from DMC4SE for DMC5 please let it be that they can milk me for infinite money by releasing DLC characters as long as they all play differently.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 13, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
For berserk blitzes you just need to jump a second or two after the last time it appeared. Then air hike on your way down so you spend as much time in the air as possible. The only time you're really vulnerable is when you're coming down to land after the second jump, which just happens to be about when it attacks if you jump immediately after the last attack.

I never realized just how much extra health enemies get on SoS. I started Nero/Dante campaign on SoS and everything but charged shots and busters feels like a wet noodle. Not having devil trigger doesn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

AccountingNightmare posted:

Offering it as DLC was a strange move on Capcom's part.
I suspect they just didn't put any thought into it. "Is it unlockable? Throw in a DLC for it."

• Locked thread