Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Monkey Fracas posted:

I dunno, I think the hairstyle looks pretty similar. Man, that guy could not look like more of a douche in that picture. I can feel him looking down his nose at me and everyone else in the world.

I don't think it's worth considering at all since this is a common practice in gaming in general be it video games, pen and paper RPG art, etc. It's kind of rare for the faces to be designed completely from scratch. I don't understand why the gaming media chose to focus on this so much when it was found out, as if it's some kind of information bomb of proof that the game will suck. Some examples you may recognize are Adam Jensen from the new Deus Ex, Reiko Nagase from Ridge Racer (actually based off one of the male designer's faces), or Akiyama from Yakuza 4.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

You realize that the unreal engine is just that, an engine, right? The graphics engine the game is using has nothing to do with how gameplay will feel. You wouldn't say that Arkham City plays the same as Gears of War would you?

I think he's talking more about the choppiness inherent to games running on it in general. It doesn't matter if the game is Gears or Lost Odyssey, Alien Breed Evolution, X-Men Origins, whatever, Unreal 3 engine gives you an unstable framerate and lots of pop-in, two things I would never want in an action game I want to take seriously. Some games like Shadows of the Damned are well-designed enough visually that they work with it and around it but overall it's not what I'd want for a Devil May Cry game.

THAT said, this looks pretty fun and I am still anxious to try it out. I'm not sure why everyone is so upset about the audio cue for the style meter though. Having the music swell or get more intense is going to be much better than having to glance at a meter in the corner now and then. In a era where having a big glowing "YOU CAN INTERACT WITH THIS" prompt on everything is often the default the less intrusive the HUD the better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Looks like something form Planet Harriers, I like it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

"How do you fight this type of evil? This is the type of evil we wanted to explore in DmC."

By... hitting it with a sword, apparently?

Dante, you won't be able to win this war conventionally!

*stabs a billion dudes*

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm not a big fan of Ninja Theory, but their attempts at "irony" and "satire" are such that this could possibly actually happen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DmC: An Introspective Satire of Modern Times

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Yeah, this is one of the many things that bugged the hell out of me in the demo. Why go to all the trouble of adding platforming and grappling when you can only grab stuff so long as you're standing on a specific ledge or piece of ground?

Devil May Cry is a pretty interesting series actually in this respect. The original was one of the last major games where you had a lot of agency with regards to how you navigate the game world instead of having tons of context sensitive points to do specific actions from.

That said, those who played Heavenly Sword, there were those moments where the combat would click just right and it felt great for a few minutes and you loved it. This new Devil May Cry isn't amazing but the combat is at least a huge step up from that game and Enslaved. What I got to play felt solid just...not as polished as 1 and 3. I wish they focused on one thing or the other. Either have less platforming and focus on perfecting the combat, or focus entirely on perfecting the platforming and movement techniques and just copy the combat 1:1 from DMC3 or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

[Citation Needed]

To clarify, look at some of the secrets in DMC1 like jumping and landing exactly on the tip of that spire to get a bunch of extra orbs. There are plenty of open world games and games where you can fly and jump around but games in this DMC/God of War vein have become more restrictive over time, not less (remember when Dante's Inferno came out? People were very shocked that you could inadvertently combo or dodge your way into a bottomless pit by mistake). I was just meaning to point out how a series that still had these principles now has a reboot being done by a developer that goes to the opposite extreme seen in Enslaved.

I can imagine that getting a balance between controlling a character's movement in the game world, the combat, etc. is tough to get right. Ninja Theory seems to be aiming for the stars with this but falling a bit short if they still need to have the invisible walls and contextual points for grabbing onto stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This is actually the third time this has happened with Capcom. The first was with Final Fight X: Streetwise. Though the developer went against Capcom's woshes and tried to make everything a goofy as possible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I read a Japanese XBox message board once where fans were complaining about how much Master Chief's Japanese VA sucks and how they wish the Halo games had the superior English voice acting with subtitles instead.

Also reminds me of the 360 launch, the line picture was like thirty disheveled dudes in their late twenties in trench coats compared to all walks of life coming out for the say the DS Lite or PS3.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

These made me laugh:

500-700K sales. Global.

This one made me laugh because when they came out I already thought of DMC3 and 4 as X-Japan: The Video Game. Even DMC 1 Dante was assumed to be at least partially inspired by Malice Mizer and these other Japanese groups like them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vKw_HO8ZKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHbHxSEtVQ&#t=1m4s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I got to play an earlier build of Yaiba last fall and it was pretty simple but fun. It was sort of like Killer is Dead if Killer is Dead actually functioned and was enjoyable.

Lords of Shadow might be great but who knows. If it's like LoS1 you will get many, many more moves and combos shortly into the game. I like how they split the main character's attacks into three different weapon types that each have their own move set and combos while still keeping the "light magic heals you, dark magic does mega damage" properties of the first game, though I liked how you had to earn that ability by doing some good combos in the original.

Man I really wanted to love Killer is Dead but that game needed another half a year of work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So more God of War than Bayonetta? Boo I want something technical and challenging.

Yeah get Yaiba if you like the look and using a zombie as a pickupable blunt weapon not for the technical challenge, it felt a lot more refined than Ninja Gaiden III though (I never played Razor's Edge). Supposedly Keiji Inafune is involved in it so maybe that's why it actually feel like a fun game to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm trying to think of the last genuinely good western action game of this type and, God of War aside, I'm drawing a blank. Oni, maybe?

It's a weirdly underrepresented genre in western gaming, though looking at how this kind of game fared from western devs in the 2D days I don't think we missed much.

Mark of Kri maybe? I definitely don't think there's been a great western one since GOW. There were so many unpolished, borderline unplayable examples on the PSX/Saturn/PC in the late nineties, maybe developers got cold feet on the genre.

I have an old press kit/media CD thing for Myth II. There's a hype section at the end of it for Oni and this squad action/RTS hybrid called Halo. Anyways the best thing is how they kept hyping up that Oni's levels were ***DESIGNED BY A REAL ARCHITECT*** which meant they paid some guy extra $$$ to make a bunch of warehouses and blue corridors.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 5, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wonder if Bayonetta 2 will have any Nintendo homage levels like the Outrun and Space Harrier levels in Bayonetta 1. Also if Bayonetta 1 will still include the "Fantasy Zone" line along with the Space Harrier music/boss.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

notZaar posted:

SEGA didn't sell Bayonetta to Nintendo so I'm sure they'll still get credit as a publisher and a cut. They'll probably keep in all the SEGA references.

Although to be honest I wouldn't mind if they just swapped out all the references to Nintendo things a la Twin Snakes.

They could keep the Space Harrier level exactly the same but off to the side you see Slippy come up to help you in his Arwing before getting immediately shot down.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kojima, Kamiya, Suda 51 and Shinji Mikami all get along really well I think. Didn't they all host that game nightclub conference thing every year for a little bit in Japan? Hopper's IIRC (though I forget if it was held at Hopper's itself or if this name just sounded cool to Suda 51, No More Heroes 2 has a "Hopper's Edition" in Japan...).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chaos Legion: Definitive Edition $59.99

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alacron posted:

What was the problems with Chaos Legion again? I barely remember that game.

Amazing soundtrack but it's like Devil May Cry 2 where each area is just a big open space and the enemies are dumb as hell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

At least while playing we'll almost never see his face anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

DMC4 was one of the first games with a required install and people freaked the gently caress out over it.

Mandatory installs were already commonplace on the PS3. The issue was that DMC4 took twenty-five minutes to install and ended up not loading particularly faster than it does on 360.

• Locked thread