Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I think the new game looks pretty good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've never really "gotten" the DMC series. I managed to beat God Hand, got a Platinum for Bayonetta, got half-way through Ninja Gaiden Sigma before I got tired of it, and beat Devil May Cry 1 on Normal.

But I've never ever beaten mission 4 in Devil May Cry 3. I just couldn't do it. I've tried and tried but that boss always kills me. The enemies are just annoying as well. Often the camera is placed so you can't see half of the enemies, including the ones who shoot you, and the enemies have so much HP you spend most of your time wailing on enemies lying down which is stupid. The platforming is awkward and annoying. I haven't played the game in about four years, though.

Bayonetta just clicked for me. I can beat most of the stages without getting hit at all, and it's just fun to play, with the exception of the bike and missile stages of course.

This new DMC doesn't look all that good, but at least you can see where all the enemies are, at least from what I've seen. Then again, I loved Heavenly Sword, because of how it made you actually feel like a immortal demi-god in a cheesy B fantasy movie. That, and being able to knock people out by throwing hats at them (which you could steer with the six-axis).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Balobam posted:

And like Awesome Ghost said, you shouldn't be getting attacked by off-screen enemies since they just straight up do not fight if you can't see them.

Hmmmm, I might be remembering it wrong. If this is true it should help at least. I'll try it out when I get the time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Could someone explain Royal Guard (DMC3) to me? I never understood what made it useful, really.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
One good thing about this thread is that it made me finally order DMC4 for the PC (7 bucks) - I just need to actually beat DMC3 first.

EDIT: VVV Yeah, I have the Platinum trophy. If they ever release a better port or (be still my heart) a PC version I wouldn't mind paying for it again.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 23, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
GT battle preview. They are very positive, of course. I think it looks mostly alright but the air combos seem way off.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/vcdipo/dmc--devil-may-cry-combat-preview

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The boss battle and cutscene before it were so dumb I couldn't stop laughing. I'm buying this the second it hits the bargain bin. My biggest gripe with the game is the dodge - using R1 or L1 doesn't feel right at all.

-gently caress YOU!
-NO, gently caress YOU!
-gently caress YOU!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 23, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Temascos posted:

If the series somehow survives this game and does an awesome sequel, I'd want Donte to be unlockable and have gently caress YOU being the only thing he says, ever. It pretty much works for anything.

Villian does evil things? gently caress YOU
Good guy points out what needs to be done? gently caress YOU
You die? gently caress YOU

Then have a cutscene where the real Dante walks by, and knocks him out with one punch.

Reminds me of that hilarious movie where the Japanese and American versions of Godzilla duke it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIcExdpsEcQ

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I would love playing a game like this with old-school punk rock music.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Speaking of DMC4 - any tips for that game? I've beaten DMC1 but never managed to beat the flying dragon/worm thing in DMC3. I can't really get the hang of Nero's chainsaw/sword. Should you always rev it up to max? Is it worth the trouble? Any other tips for survival? I've gotten past the fire demon boss.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK, thanks. I'll see if I can get the timing down. I just beat Bayonetta again to get into the genre before going at it again. I got stuck on the boss after Cerberus. It was pretty annoying having to beat the level again to get another shot so I just gave up after a while. This was many years ago, though.

EDIT: I'm talking about the original release of DMC3, if that helps.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 18, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Started playing DMC4 and I'm reminded of another reason why I've beaten Bayonetta more times than I care to count, but have never any DMC except DMC1 once. I can't stand the constant running back and forth, looking for whatever will unlock the next area. There's nothing fun about it, just busywork and backtracking, and is just a convenient way for the designers to reuse the same areas over and over and over. If I wanted that kind of gameplay I'd just play Resident Evil. If the fighting hadn't been this fun I would have shelved it again after a few minutes. Next time I play I'm definitely investing in the speed ability, goddamn. Any other abilities that are a must buy?

Oh, and one question - I've beaten the first boss (fire demon thing) a couple of times but I haven't managed to avoid his AOE attack even once. I start running away but Nero automatically throws up his arms to shield himself - and fails miserably. What the heck should I do to avoid it?

Also, the female order assassin or whatever she's supposed to be has one of the silliest outfits I've seen in a game. This is DMC, alright.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 20, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its a holdover from DMC's original survival horror roots.

Yeah, I suppose. They should've fixed that by the fourth game, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Now I'm fighting a giant demon ice frog that's attacking me with its two semi-sentient lesbian nymph feelers. What the hell. And I thought Bayonetta was insane.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK, thanks for the help with the fire demon thing. The frog thing wasn't all that hard and went down pretty fast. I'm guessing the challenge is going to ramp up, soon, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK, beat mission 7. Got killed by the boss once (she only had a sliver of health left) and bulldozed her the second try - probably the easiest boss so far. I'm going to stop whining after this post, but I can see why Capcom decided to try a different team, because everything game-play related outside of combat has been absolutely dreadful so far. Especially the secret missions are an exercise in frustration. Missions that can't be beaten without certain abilities (the game doesn't always tell you this), a mission that can only be beaten by Dante (why the hell is Nero even able to try it? Someone new to the series would have no idea what Royal Guard is), that loving "find the secret orbs mission", missions that require just about perfect platforming skills in a game where the platforming is an unresponsive mess, I could go on.

Thankfully the fighting is still fun, even if the part with the disappearing platforms was dreadful (what's with the camera in that part?), and the plant enemies that can hurt you even if they are down, are definitely on the top my list of the most annoying enemies so far. I like how the game encourages experimentation during fights - in the beginning I could get a maximum of "B" rank during fights but now I've started ending up with mostly "A" and "S" rank during most encounters (thanks for the tips everyone!) I'm also thankful for the lack of QTEs, even if I still mashed the button every time I grabbed the latest boss - force of habit I guess. From now on I'll just focus on getting through the stages, ignoring all secrets and hidden missions.

What the DMC series needs is to keep the DMC4 fighting engine but tighten up the platforming and stage design, and iron out all the bullshit design decisions to reduce unnecessary frustration. As it is now I have no problem with the difficulty of the fights, just the frustration stemming from everything else.

I doubt Ninja Theory is the studio to make this happen, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 20, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I may be misremebering, but mashing the Devil Bringer button does effect some busters. Using it on Frosts (I believe), has it so that you keep thrashing them about by their tails for a longer time before throwing them, and I'm sure something similar happens on particular busters on bosses. I'll have to check, or maybe someone can correct me on that.

NT is probably one of the worst devs to have been chosen to head the new game, even with Capcom's supervison and aid. NT's only trump card is that they can make their games look very pretty. Their combat (as has been discussed before) is pretty lacking, and their "platforming" in Enslaved can barely be called such.

Why Capcom chose them, I'm guessing that either NT works for peanuts, or Capcom confused them for a western branch of Team Ninja.

Ah, you're completely right about the Frosts. Don't think I've seen anything other than that - not yet, at least. Any tips about the shadowy ghoul-like monsters? I use my arm three times to remove the shadow so I can hurt them, but is there a more effective method?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WeaponBoy posted:

The biggest issue I had with Charge Shot 3 was the fact that I always swing and release the shoulder button at the same moment.

Yeah, I do that all the time, as well. :saddowns:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just beat mission 10 in DMC4 and I can safely say that I HATE Dante and his greatest ally - the camera. It felt really good to turn on the devil trigger and slam his smug rear end into the ground repeatedly. And why the hell would you put the by magnitudes hardest boss this far at the end of the worst stage in the game? Anyway, any tips for how you deal with Dante? I beat him by shooting at him so that he would be preoccupied shooting back, snatch him, hit him once if I felt lucky, then grab him, and so on and so forth. Doing it "normally" was an exercise in extreme frustration. Any way to properly dodge his sword moves? If I managed to dodge his three-hit-combo Nero was usually too slow to hit him before Dante proceeded to kick my rear end for the tenth time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Still playing DMC4. Now Dante has shown up for real and has taken over the story, and oh man it feels REALLY weird fighting without the Devil Arm or the chainsaw sword. I beat his first stage by basically spamming "B" ( sword style ) the whole time, but it feels clunky having to switch styles everytime I want to be able to dash in the air, and then switch style again to attack in the air. I want to be able to grab enemies and suplex them! I'm missing Nero already :(

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Stick with it! You'll grow to love Dante. :allears:

I'll try! Any tips for Dante?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Still making my way through DMC4 with Dante. The demon trap things in the second forest stage (after Echidna) made things pretty drat hectic. I'm guessing the developers wanted me to practice my dodging or something. I'm getting used to Dante ( fully upgraded sword style is awesome ) but the upgraded flying shadow monster is REALLY annoying! He needs like ten shotgun blasts before I can attack him! Anything I should know about the Gilgamesh weapon?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 30, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

notZaar posted:

There's two quick ways to decloak Fausts (the giant gunslinger shadow monster.) One of them is using the gunslinger style shotgun attack (the multi hit nunchucks move) INSIDE the Faust. If you do it right it should only take one or two tries (works on the Mephisto, the little one, as well.) You can continue doing the attack in the air so just spam it inside the Faust while it's not attacking.
The other quick method is a special move for a weapon you haven't unlocked yet. The Pandora attack where Dante opens the suitcase will instantly decloak Fausts, Mephistos, and Blitzes, even if the disaster gauge is empty. The risk, of course, is the extend animation which can't be canceled.

Never thought of using it INSIDE the monster! I'll give it a go!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I decided to take a break from DMC4 and play the DMC demo, and after beating it an DMD difficulty I must say it's not so bad as I first thought, but actually pretty fun. It does some things right, some wrong, but overall I enjoyed it, even if it's not a 10/10 game.
I won't comment on story and dialog since both have been severely lacking in all every DMC game so I don't really care anyway.

I enjoyed:
- Dedicated dodge button
- Air dodge
- Being able to pull yourself and/or enemies closer reminds me of the snatch technique from DMC4, which is a good thing.
Just make sure to remap the buttons so that it feels comfortable to switch between angel/demon techniques!
- The highest difficulty level has different enemies than the others, just the way it should be.
- Air juggling is simplified and pretty drat fun to use.
- Platforming feels less frustrating, at least in the demo, mostly thanks to the angel jump boost.

What I disliked
- No lock-on. I didn't mind this most of the time, but sometimes it got annoying when I wanted to target the small angels but instead pulled a fire demon towards me.
- The demo ran like poo poo. Felt like less than 30fps most of the time
- The enemy models are pretty ugly and are not very detailed at all. The whole game feels pretty low-res and ugly which is a surprise considering the studio.
- Most of the attacks lack a certain "ooomph". They try to move the camera around to make them seem powerful, like when you use the powered up sword attack, but the sound effects are a bit lackluster anyway.
- Surprisingly easy. It's OK to me, but I can imagine old DMC fans being very disappointed.

I won't buy the game on launch, especially since Metal Gear Rising takes priority, but I'll probably pick it up when it's half price or so.

EDIT: Just got to the final boss of DMC4 and I have to admit the Angus/Dante had me laughing hard. More games should skip any pretense and just go fully theatrical.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 3, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Beat DMC4. The last stage was complete garbage - what do I get for defeating the most boring boss of the game (that statue)? Another horrible table game and a boss rush on top of that? Thanks for making me beat the bosses for a third time, Capcom! The last boss was an utter bastard as well - what the hell are you supposed to do when he grows tentacles and charges you with a giant sword? Thankfully I managed to beat him (handicapped) by timing it so that I could defeat him without his final phase triggering at all! The gameplay part at the credits was kind of neat at least, but other than that this game ended with a pathetic whimper, not a bang. The fighting is really good but that's it, the rest of the game is a bore with some baffling design decisions. Bayonetta sits comfortably at the throne of the genre to me, warts and all, because I have beaten it seven times without getting bored of it. DMC4 on the other hand, was a giant chore at times and completely petered out at the end. Watching Dante's antics was the only tangible reason to bother finishing it. That, and I wanted to try out the PC exclusive mode, the one with the huge amount of enemies.

VVV Thanks!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 3, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was thinking of picking up DMC3, but I've heard bad things about the PC port. It seems to work for some people, though, so maybe the Steam version works better?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

toasterwarrior posted:

Top of my head: controller support is incomplete and you'll have to run a 360 controller through Xpadder or something to get the triggers working because they're analog. The game will run like poo poo in most areas thanks to shoddy coding in music transitions, but you can alleviate the problem through this: http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/3715047/1/#new. You'll lose some music (mostly the battle tracks, no more fridges in your eye) but most of the important fights such as boss battles keep theirs. Unfortunately, some areas just plain won't run perfectly, like the tram rides.

It's a serviceable port, but yeah, it's pretty bad. At least it's playable with a controller, unlike RE4's port and KB&M.

Thanks! I got it anyway (really cheap, OK?), and got the game working perfectly with a controller, but that slowdown in mission 2 when you meet the mini boss was horrendous.

EDIT: DMC4 related question - what is you guys' 360 gamepad configuration in DMC4? I tried putting the gun on a trigger, but I ended up using the triggers for lock-on and revving.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 4, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I kind of enjoyed the demo but that review is weird as hell.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Holy crap, I just beat the second mission of DMC4 at Legendary Dark Knight mode and I think I earned as many souls as I earned through my whole first playthrough.

Regarding the gamepad setup - I've started using this with Nero and even if it feels a little strange, especially when revving mid-battle, I think I'm going to stick with this for now. When fighting ordinary mobs it works perfectly, it's just during bosses when I frantically try to rev the sword that things fall apart a bit. But overall I think this works well.

LT - Devil Trigger
RT - Rev
LB - Guns
RB - Lock-on
X - Taunt

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 4, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How do you perform a Buster counter on the DMC4 fire boss, when he tries to ram you? I can't seem to find the right moment.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 4, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SurrealityCheck posted:

If you aren't interested in the combat system DMC4 is pretty execrable. And 95% of players don't even switch weapons or jump cancel, so.

I've never understood when you are supposed to use jump cancel. Are there any particularly useful ways to use it?
You can't expect people to know about something like jump canceling or how to make use of it. And do you gain style points
by switching weapons as well as techniques? I wish the games would explain these things better.
And you are right - DMC4 is a pretty fun game DESPITE all its problems. Even the combat suffers at times due to the less than
stellar camera and some crazy difficulty spikes, and that the game refuses to explain some pretty important aspects.
I had no idea there was such a thing as Buster counters until the game forced me to use one to defeat the statue in the last
fight of the game! It's not like there's an incentive to experiment with it during boss battles when the penalty for screwing it up is
most certainly death.

VVV Maybe more people would care if they bothered to mention such features in the manual or tutorial?
As it is now they seem more like glitches that they didn't bother to remove, which is pretty much
what they were from the start, right?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

charismaslover posted:

DMC4 Dante was my favourite characterisation of him so far, the perfect blend between being cocky/arrogant while not actually being an rear end in a top hat. You just knew in DMC4 that he was all "I got this poo poo :smug:"

It's not like he was going around Fortuna being a minor inconvenience to people enjoying their energy drinks, although I guess you could count shooting the pope as an inconvenience.

I loved how he mocked Nero by 'revving' his own sword in the intro.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wish people would stop posting unmarked spoilers. It doesn't matter if it's lovely or not. Some of us want to discuss the DMC games AND experience the NT writing in all its glory by ourselves AFTER the game's out.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm playing through DMC3 right now and just beat Agni and Rudra. Should I switch to them or should I upgrade Cerberus instead? What's you guy's favourite? I have to thank AccountingNightmare for the boss strategy. Without knowing about knocking away their weapons, that battle would have taken forever.. .

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

toasterwarrior posted:

I find A&R a lot more utilitarian than Cerberus, and certainly a lot more mobile thanks to Air Hike. The A&R pair also has a single-hit air attack that can be jump-canceled for air combos on tall bosses without losing Trickster for Swordsmaster, and an easy Crazy Combo with Million Slash that hits wider than Million Stab does.

How do you perform the jump-cancel? Is there a trick to it or is it just a timing thing?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WeaponBoy posted:

It's using Enemy Step to reset aerial attacks/jumps, so you spam an attack in combination with enemy step to basically float on an enemy while wailing on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lyqo4B0pm4

Neat! Thanks!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was getting really bored with the tower in DMC3 and suddenly I got to fight Vergil which really surprised me. The opening cutscene for the following mission and the stage itself was completely nuts, too. Will the game pick up the pace from now on? I felt the tower was pretty boring and preferred the city environments in the beginning.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

toasterwarrior posted:

After one mission in the bigass flying demon whale, you'll end up back in the tower. Really, the entire game is supposed to take place there, but the following areas do deviate from the standard gothic castle room enough that it stays interesting.

That's in terms of visual design though. Trust me, while generally fine, there'll be a mission where you'll miss the old tower sections because it's not full of rage-inducing platforming and enemies.

I was afraid there would be platforming...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I haven't used anything but trickster for the whole game. The ability to dodge in any direction both on the ground and in the air is a godsend. The ability to combo in the air is not even close to being that useful, at least if you're only concerned with making it through the game for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WeaponBoy posted:

One thing I did that I found helps a lot is to complete a mission, then watch AN's LP of that level. You can learn a ton by just seeing what kind of poo poo she pulls and the imitating it. http://lparchive.org/Devil-May-Cry-3/

Yeah she helped me tons with the Agni & Rudra fight.

• Locked thread