Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
The new Dante reminds me of somebody who doesn't care much about pizza, and definitely does not want to get this party started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Overdrive! If you're going to flat-out steal stuff from the other games then take it ALL so we get a game that doesn't play like the "slowdownSPEEDUP" scenes from 300, please.

Are you talking about the brief slow-down when he dodges?

Because that's pretty much a rip off of Bayonetta's Witch time. The combat looks janky as hell. Not looking good DmC.

Edit - Here's a good video of Enemy Step jump cancelling. Keep in mind he's doing absolutely nothing fancy in this video, and Dante can do enemy step poo poo that's just insane (thanks to Trickster). Considering 99% of the people who play DMC probably have no idea how to really use enemy step, it really shows how deep the combat systems can be. Compare this to DmC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRH1FVkwTNw&t=97s

User0015 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 19, 2011

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

To be slightly fair, DMC has always had a lot of sound and audio queues. Sometimes a dodge is heavily reliant upon hearing the enemy's attack cry when you can't see them. There's a difference between that and audio-based scoring tho', I think.

It's actually extremely important for that, too. Games like DMC always need to be 'fair' against the player, so it does lots of things you might not even notice. Some of those things include preventing enemies from attacking while off-screen and using audio cues to indicate enemies who are starting an attack pattern. If you do allow enemies to attack from off-screen (some enemies in Bayonetta do this), audio cues are important. Bayonetta, in particular, doesn't have audio cues for every single attack, so they only allowed attacks that have audio cues to begin while off-screen. They were that particular about it.

Another thing that's pretty essential (beyond a meta game like Stylish points, Karma, or Combo points) is allowing players to manipulate their state. Enemy step is a excellent example of letting players reset their state, which allows for crazy poo poo that makes these games so good. Bayonetta doesn't use state resets as much as DMC, but it focuses on it's own method of manipulating states; preventing state resets by letting players continue combos by holding the button down during dodge.

Character state control, metagame, 'fair' play by using audio cues and camera controls, all of that goes into an excellent fighting game. The question is, do the DmC developers understand any of that?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Using sound alone to represent the style meter, which is a very very important part of this game, just does not seem plausible in my eyes.

Yeah it's incredibly stupid, for a variety of reasons. I mean, if you're going to provide feedback to the player, you should probably do it in a visual way. Since this game has a giant hard-on for distortion effects and morphing environments, maybe do something with that?

Anyways, I know what you meant. I just wanted to ramble on about fighting games. :shobon:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

AccountingNightmare posted:

:stare: These guys have no idea what they are doing. Have they even played the good DMC games? This game is reminding me more and more of DMC2 every time I hear about it. Even his super springy jump looks like it's straight from DMC2. And that boss looks plain hideous. At least the combat looks a bit more interesting than DMC2, but that's like saying a loud, public fart is better than making GBS threads your pants.

Are you ready for 20 minute boss fights where you stand in a corner jumping and shooting? Hell yes you are! We all are! :rock:

I also want to add: Called it.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Who the gently caress are you!? Dante!? Son of Sparda and Eve - the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRREEEEEEE!"

Please tell me this is not actual dialogue.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Yes, yes I am still worried. :cripes:

What the fuuuuuck? Bayonetta had a lot of cursing in it, sure. But it was done with style.

This is literally, "I hate you, MOM!" It really reminds me of Bioware's New poo poo advertising angle for DA2, or what they did to POP:Warrior Within. "Let's make it Gritty and Edgy and Grimdark its what all the kids want these days you'll see." Idiots.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Reminder: In DMC4, when Nero is wrist-cuttingly emo about his lost cardboard princess, he gets in a fight with Dante that can be incredibly hard on higher difficulties. It's a literal fight to the death against Dante who beats your rear end, taunts you, changes styles and knocks you across the room all in a second. What happens when you finally win? Dante sidesteps your attack, hops up through a hole in the ceiling and says, "Welp cya!" with a salute and runs off. Then comes back a second time just to rub it in your face.

DMC4 Dante is literally making fun of the kind of character they made for DmC. :negative:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Destructoid put up a video of one of their morons playing it.

http://www.destructoid.com/dmc-has-camera-eyeballs-and-off-screen-anal-play-229377.phtml

I especially enjoyed the part where the person writing states that he only played the first, but this one is just like all the others. :downs:

*clicks link*

"DmC has camera eyeballs and off-screen anal play"

*closes window*

We should just talk about how amazing Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are. :allears:
I also really like those TrueStyle tournaments. I think earlier in the thread I linked a tutorial video to show just had complicated some of those things can get. I'm curious if they have a different button layout, because the style buttons are the D-pad, and it would always mess me up trying to switch from D-pad to thumb-stick while keeping up with everything. I wish they actually had a button where you could hold it (say, shoulder button), tap the thumb stick, and swap to that style, so you never have to take your thumb off.

Really wish they had allowed you to play through the whole game as one of the characters as an unlock. I know that would be tricky with Dante and platforming puzzles, but they could have just let us enemy step/Trickster across. It would have been fine!

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

This is awesome and I hope you finish this LP. Vanquish got a LP already but it's loving awful and you're pretty darn good at this game.

Speaking of LP, I hope AccountingNightmare continues her DMC4 LP someday soon.

I thought she finished it?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

This game is actually great, because it's a barometer to tell which game journalists aren't loving useless at their jobs. Apparently, that's all of them so far. Has anyone really gone over the demo and gave it a critical eye? People usually say RPS is one of the best, but I don't know if they had time to look at it or not.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Double tapping lock-on lets you Umbran Spear (bird form teleport). I use it quite a bit.

That's about it.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

https://puu.sh/Vj1q

Style doesn't mean a thing anymore.

That's just insulting. Also, where's the stylish text? Cropped off or does it actually just spit out the ranking letters?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Watched the demo. His little groan of frustration made me laugh, because he keeps whiffing on attacks and throwing out a "grah!" As a developer for a video game, getting frustrated at aspects of the combat system is a really good indicator you should take a look at something. But no, who needs a soft lock-on system? :laugh:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Not only is it platforming, it's incredibly limited platforming. Every video I've seen (and I've seen them all) literally consists of the following platforming skills: Jump and airdash forward, jump and grapple hook. And considering how much platforming they've forced into this game, I hope you reallllly like jumping and airdashing forward!

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

That really needs finished. :(

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

What the hell is a Wii U?

I wonder why Kamiya isn't working on it. I hope he has some input, because what if we...what if we get another DmC?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

The only time Bayonetta slows down on my Xbox is when I chain bat dodge into witch time. :smug:

It definitely slows down on the Xbox when there's particle effects up against the camera. I think the biggest culprits is lava splashes. But I don't really remember any slow down in a level, except for maybe a moment or two. It doesn't suffer from Blighttown framerates.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Genetic Toaster posted:

Well, that's a laugh.

Combat depth: "Between DMC2 and Animal Crossing"

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Something from TGS.

TGS Vid

It shows a previously unseen level - an inverted subway, dodging scowly-trains. And all the shades of grey you could ever want! Note the two-second cutscene when more enemies appear, and Dante does a dramatic turn. Thanks NT, DMC really needed that. :rolleyes:
It also shows some shotgun action.

The cutscene that plays as Dante runs across shattering glass correctly has the holes in the floor for the entire series of cutscenes and sequences. As soon as combat starts, it's fixed.

Oops.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

And when he first fights Nero, he says nothing, but silently mocks him - even pretending to rev up his sword when Nero does.

And then later he hams it up with Angus. DMC4 Dante is awesome.

Yup. In fact, that's the whole drat point. The character is supposed to be fun. There's a reason people like Dante as a character: It's fun to play as him while beating the poo poo out of hordes of demons. 4 had issues, but Dante's character was an absolute joy to play as, and to watch when you're playing Nero. As mentioned earlier, the way your fight ends against Dante is a great example. Or his entire sequence with the weapon Lucifer when he closes the gate. The whole purpose of the character is to instill a sense of fun. You get to play a hammy over-the-top wiseass who gives no fucks. See also: Bayonetta as a character.

This Dante? Where's the joy in playing as him? They changed his character, but they also sucked all the fun out of his personality. Once again, the people behind this game had an idea, but absolutely don't understand what they should be doing when they update him. Now he's just some angsty rebel and I couldn't care less.

Something something slow combat.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Chucat posted:

I don't even know if DMC1 had a screwy difficulty curve or if Phantom was just somehow the best introduction into how hard this game was going to be.

The first time I ever played DMC, Phantom beat my rear end multiple times. I'd get up in his face and get stung, get nailed by lava pillars, bounce my weapons off him while he's guarding and get punished, etc...

Now? I could jump cancel off his head until he falls down, then stand in front of his face taunting while he turtles up.

The first time they introduced those panthers was also....erghhh.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

His design has been deliberately muted, to keep in with their attempt at a "realistic" style Dante.

Oh that's good then. And here I was thinking they were utterly incompetent with the simplest things.

I also like how games journalists and the developers themselves insist the biggest issue for the fans is his hair color. Cool. Let's construct our own narrative about what people hate with our design, then easily knock it down by implying it's a petty argument. I wonder if there's a name or extremely common logical fallacy related to doing exactly that? Bonus points for professional gaming journalism not calling them out on it and instead running with it.

Also loving the, "We submitted a design like the original Dante and Capcom responded 'if we wanted the same Dante, we'd have made DMC5.'" Yeah, that sure would be stupid of you, Capcom. Better ship it off to an excellent developer with a proven track record like Ninja Theory. :thumbsup:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Up to the standards of DMCs 3 and 4? Probably not.

I think managing "Better than 2" is good enough. To be completely honest, the battle system looks worse than God of War, but is probably an improvement over their previous titles like Heavenly Blade. I've never played it though.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^

User0015 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 16, 2012

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

NT is the same company that thought Monkey kicking someone to their death who was merely trying to save themselves made him look like a bad-rear end, the person brought in to help re-write told them it just makes monkey look like a oval office.

Got a link or anything? I want to hear this story.

Watching that link. I absolutely laughed when the player was trying to...Devil Lift (Angel Lift = you go to it, so devil lift is = it comes to you) a platform, but was to far away. So the player thought, "I know, I'll chain together double jump, boost, devil lift the platform and then angel lift onto it all while in midair."

Haha silly player. That might actually make it interesting!

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Wasn't there an interview at one point where they said they had people in on the combat design that were participants in TrueStyle videos? Anyone remember that?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

For being punk, they sure missed the mark on the music.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

Nothing has driven home the poor state of modern gaming journalism quite so much as DmC coverage.

There are no words to describe the shame I feel on GamesRadar's behalf.

This is really it. When XCOM was coming out, a lot of reviews were also pretty god awful. 'Journalists' who said they spent 10 hours with a game having trouble recognizing you can't move and shoot your sniper in the same turn. Having trouble with a variety of things or making incredibly obvious mistakes. Then you get some really good amateur who makes videos of his impossible run and they're infinitely more informative, interesting and exciting to watch than the people being paid money to preview/review a game.

Now you have DmC, where they aren't even trying to compare the old DMC's to this one. They fellate the audience by saying they've all played the previous games, when it's more than likely they have either never played them at all, or played them to such a shallow degree that they think the combat consists of pressing x and jumping sometimes (and using the devil arm). There's also the claim I was asking about earlier, where NT said they brought in exceptional players that have produced TrueStyle videos to test the combat system. I seriously doubt they actually did bring them in, or listen to their advice if so. But you think gaming journalists give a poo poo? They just regurgitate whatever a developer says, with zero critical analysis on their part. You know, the part that is their loving job.

It's just becoming more and more obvious they're PR shills and nothing more, these days. It's really sad.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Compare it more to Bayonetta, which did have some F-bombs thrown in. Of course, they were far more classy, and the delivery was far more effective. Plus 'Flock off, featherface' makes another appearance.

Jeanne still has a potty mouth in that game though.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

All you need to know about Shakespeare is in the following line of dialogue, "Pistol's cock was up and ready to flash fire."

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Ximum posted:

You know, it's gotten to the point where seeing the word "haircut" makes me want to punch something. It was never about the haircut.

IT WAS NEVER ABOUT THE HAIRCUT.

They know. It's just a way to hide from genuine criticism. If you paint all your detractors as having trivial reasons for dislike DmC, they don't have to confront their actual criticisms.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Bracelet of Time is cheating. :colbert::nofunhavers:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

You're braver than I was with that fight. I just kept Air Hiking and Air Dodging, just to avoid the risk of 'no no, you actually DIDN'T dodge that, sorry'.

gently caress Beowulf.

Dodging Beowulf? No no no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3PLU2jRI8M

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

You can also cancel using RG. This is what players like Brea are doing in DMC4, where they constantly swap to RG to cancel into something else. That's how they can constantly attack enemies: RG and enemy step canceling.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

^^^^^^ Are you Dante or Nero? Blitzes are a great way to practice enemy step canceling. If you're Nero, use charged shot. If you're Dante, you can practice RG cancelling (be in royal guard, hit them, RG and/or step off them, hit them, repeat). Just don't be a tough guy and try to just guard the explosion. It's been a while since I played DMC4, and I never put as much time into it as DMC3 or Bayonetta.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Bayonetta seems to be more strict about it though. I think there are occasionally clipping problems with monsters not being rendered but still counting as in the viewing frustum in dmc.

Bayonetta is a little more tricky about it. Some enemies can attack you entirely from offscreen, but any attack that can be used offscreen has a very distinct audio cue and sometimes a visual cue centered on Bayonetta.

Most of the time. Sometimes, Joys will Stinger you directly from offscreen anyways. Joys. :argh:

User0015 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 21, 2012

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Schubalts posted:

The demo is also included with the ZoE HD Collection, in true Kojima fashion.

A sombrero costume that also puts a sombrero on your cardboard box.

Is this revengeance? I've been completely ignoring this game, and that sounds like a huge mistake on my part.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

Fellows.

I am eagerly anticipating MGR as well, but come on. We have a dedicated thread for it.

I remembered there was a thread about it, but I haven't seen it on the first page in quite a while, and the game is almost out already? In fact, this thread has literally 3x as many posts in it. :laugh:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's discuss Gaming Journalism and sometimes whine about DmC.

notZaar posted:

You can also Just Charge it (activating the very instant you charge up a rank), and if you do it right there will be a extra FX and you will deal more damage. The timing is severely strict though, I think it may be frame perfect. I have rarely ever been able to JC any of Gilgamesh's moves.
If you got the time to practice you can unleash a Just Charge Distorted Rising Dragon for massive damage. Easier to just use Real Impact though

Is the Distorted part activating DT during the animation? I remember seeing videos of people using Gilgamesh and a frame perfect DT to deal absolutely bonkers damage. I thought it was just a bug though, like the kilgore glitch in Bayonetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

There's also the 42 second fight against Dagon. I love watching people take down bosses in these kinds of games at incredible speeds, just because boss fights are often long, epic affairs. Then you watch a 42 second fight and you're like, "Yep, that's crazy."

• Locked thread