Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So happy to see they have the style meter (or at least a version of it) again. All I need now is a Cheesy Taunt Button and something as silly as an electric guitar that shoots bats and I'm pretty much sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Even better is their reasoning - that it wouldn't fit well into the narrative for the character they wish to portray. :cripes:

He still taunts randomly during attacks, BUT, that is just classed as an ingame battle dialogue. Not a taunt function.

I haven't had much to rage about over this game, but this is seriously the most ridiculous loving thing I have ever heard. That "CHARACTER" you wish to portray is supposed to be Dante. If taunting "doesn't fit well into the narrative for Dante" then you do now know what you're doing and should stop acting like you do.

The game itself doesn't look too bad--I'd rank it above DMC2 at least--but the way this team keeps acting is making me want to hate their game so bad.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Likewise, their relationship in DMC3. The way it never really talks about their exact history, just gives hints here and there. And then Dante still trying to reach out for his brother as he falls into the Demon World, and then silently crying over his loss.

At no point does the game say things like "Vergil and Dante were raised in an abusive orphanage and tortured by the demons running it and this helped colour their views on-", because it doesn't serve the very simple story. And at no point also did the games or developers go out of their way to say that they're humanizing Dante, by trying to tack on forced pathos.

Yeah, I was going to go off on this point as well. I really like DMC3's ending solely because the way Dante just completely drops his usual goofy demeanor both before and especially after the final Vergil fight was a really nice touch. Dante's over-the-top hamming honestly adds more to his character, because whenever it's gone we know he's being genuine. It's showing us that Dante is hurt over the loss of his brother, despite everything he put him through, not telling us.

Ninja Theory have been reassuring us that Dante is going to be humanized and "clean," when they should be showing us these things (and what they've shown so far certainly hasn't done a good job of that), and really that's the main issue I have with the new game so far.

Story was never DMC's strongest suit, but the story that was there usually did the job properly. Well, as long as you continue to pretend DMC2 doesn't exist.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Please do, what you've written thus far is very interesting.

Yeah, agreed; this is the Devil May Cry thread, so go nuts. If nothing else, it'd be nice to shift discussion away from "Let's whine about the upcoming reboot" for a little.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Combichrist music sample:

http://www.facebook.com/combichrist?sk=app_178091127385

I honestly don't know what to make of this music. It's okay-ish, I guess? It's not too out of place for DMC, I suppose, but it feels like it's lacking something. :confused:

Combichrist is aight. I first listened to them a few years ago when they opened up for Rammstein (the drummer is also the drummer for Richard's band, Emigrate), and while I could barely tell what the gently caress they were trying to say, they're pretty fun to listen to live. It's weird to see them performing for Devil May Cry--I didn't think they were popular at all, let alone popular enough to get asked to do music for a soundtrack. Maybe opening up for Rammstein put them on the map a little?

I'm not sure they'd fit in a Devil May Cry game, but at the very least I guess they fit "New Dante" pretty well, so there's that, I guess.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

The more I read about people's experiences playing the game, the more confused I get as to why the hell they felt the need to remove the lock-on button.

Seriously. In a 3D action brawler, not having a Lock-On is like a Mario game not having a jump button, but instead giving you little trampolines everywhere to help you get around.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

I looked up the units sold of Ninja Theory's past games:

Heavenly Sword: 1.5 million

Enslaved: 4 hundred thousand. :aaa:
That really loving bombed. They were hoping it would reach the 1 million mark. I'm surprised that NT didn't go bust from that.

Critically, the DMC series and NT's games are around the 70-80% mark from the aggregate scores of metacritic and gamerankings.

Bayonetta actually sold less than Heavenly Sword at 1.35 million units.

To be fair, the only reason Heavenly Sword sold so well was pretty much because it was, at the time, one of the very, very few PS3-exclusive games, if I'm remembering correctly. I think there was a demo for it right when the PS3 came out, wasn't there? I remember playing a demo for that game and thinking, "OH MAN PS3 WOW PS3 I SHOULD BUY THIS GAME," but I ended up renting it with some friends years later.

It's painfully mediocre, if you're wondering.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

https://puu.sh/Vj1q

Style doesn't mean a thing anymore.

SSS = "Sensational"

For. gently caress's. Sake.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

The gameplay in that little demo looks a little fun, until I sit back and remember that a lot of those moves require awkward combinations instead of just "hold lock on + back + attack," etc., and remain skeptical.

Also, those gauntlets he's wearing just look goofy. They're less "gauntlets" and more "elephantized fists." Also I've noticed that even if it takes the player a while to land a hit, the style meter stays at the same letter, instead of downgrading to a lower one. At least taking damage lowers it a bit, though.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 15, 2012

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

You really do need to see LDK mode in motion to fully understand how awesome it is.

You can walk into a room, use Nero's forward+attack, and basically earn an instant SSS because of the sheer number of enemies you hit. It's loving wonderful.

Actually, looking at it, I think a lot of the problems with the upcoming reboot can be seen just by playing LDK mode on DMC4. Think about it: of all the enemies we've seen so far, do any of those enemies look fun to fight in such huge bulks like they were in DMC4?

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 21, 2012

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

DmC will not have co-op.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/22/dmc-is-looking-totally-sweet

Not that we really were expecting it to have co-op anyway. :confused:

And good god, the author of that article is doing his hardest to suck dick.

Hahaha that chocolate analogy in the beginning, what the hell. Sucking dick is an understatement.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

So, I didn't see this video posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoUfyMUQTc

Some random guy on the internet talks about why he doesn't like New Dante. Makes a lot of the points brought up in this very thread.

I agree with a fair bit of it, but saying things like "Ninja Theory hates Devil May Cry" is a little excessive. You can hate the game all you want, but I severely doubt Ninja Theory are actively working to destroy the series. The video itself states it's more a matter of them frantically trying to "fix" their own game, and the end result is just a jumbled mess.

Still, an interesting, well-put-together video.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The various Castlevania games recently have given you pretty radically different "secondary" characters. The quality ranges a bit but still.

Yeah, particularly the DS games have decent bonus character playthroughs. Hell, Dawn of Sorrow gives you a unique final boss (that's actually relevant to the story) and three separate characters to play as all at once, which is nice.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

I dunno. A modernized Vergil wearing a fedora and having a cane and poo poo really doesn't seem all that farfetched to me. He's always been a sort of polar opposite of Dante, and since New Dante is all "PUNK ROCK AND BEING CRASS AS gently caress, YEAAH", it makes sense that New Vergil would want to dress "classy" and all that.

I'm not saying wearing a fedora makes you classy or anything (especially not these days, what with all the internet-dwelling neckbeards wearing them), but I can see what they're going for.

Monkey Fracas posted:

*Devil Triggers, immediately grows fearsome neckbeard*

This would be amazing. :allears:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Dante's voice clips for Playstation battle royal thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq1z7Na7ccE

Falls a bit flat in places, but okay. No FUUUCCCKK YOUs at least.

Noticed a lot of lines from the rest of the series in there. Which is.... a little strange, honestly.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

I'm just really disappointed that they're going with New Dante instead of Old Dante in Super PlayStation Smash Stars Brawl. I don't even really mind the new DmC game all that much, it's just the fact that Old Dante would have a lot more room for the developers to have fun. He has a rather large arsenal, and those lines imply that Old Dante was probably who they wanted to use.

Like, if I had never played Devil May Cry, and you told me you were making a goofy fighting game featuring all of PlayStation's all-stars, and you held up a picture and description of both Old and New Dante, I'd pick Old Dante to be in the game without even thinking.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

DMC4 Dante takes the cake. He just knows he can beat everything you fight in the game, and he shows it. He is :smug: personified.

It's kinda hard to defeat the Literal King of Demons and look at anything else and think, "Yeah, I'm going to have some trouble killing that." The fact that he's just so insufferable about it makes him really entertaining in that game.

Though, he does have trouble bringing the Savior down, and basically couldn't do it without Nero's help. Which is interesting, since Dante has some experience with killing giant, sentient statues. You'd think he'd just use his Space Dragon powers again.

...I miss Dante's Space Dragon powers.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Has the demonic voice chanting what ranking your currently at during combat been there the whole time, or is it new?

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Achievement list

If there's one thing Silent Hill has taught me, it's that when the creators of a game just can't help but make literally all of their achievements quotes and/or references to previous titles, it means the game will likely be bad.

I'm lookin' at you, Homecoming.

In all seriousness though Homecoming did have that funny B-Movie quality that made it somewhat entertaining throughout, maybe that'll be the case here, too? At this point it's all I can hope for.

E:

Pesky Splinter posted:

Here is the artwork for the rather sleek Shotgun:

I have to admit, that's a pretty sweet looking shotgun.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

DmC: You can pull the Trigger, but you can't lock on.
DmC: The Devil May Cry, but he can't lock on.
DmC: A Tale of Fedoras and Hair Dye.

More serious one:
DmC: Has a nice ring to it, don't ya think?

Bonus swearing one:
DmC: A fuckin' piece-a-poo poo.

Can't wait to get my hands on the demo. Really hoping the auto-lock works better than it looks like it does.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

The dialogue is loving awful, but I was laughing at how awful it was. So, there's that.

Having played the demo, I'm still...somewhat mixed on this. I was definitely awful at the game at first, but as I started to get used to the combos I noticed how easy it was to kill everything. Things die quickly. Hell, those flying cherub things don't even take a full combo to bring down.

I really, really wish I could lock on at will, though. I still don't understand why they took that out. Every time I tried to use stinger, I'd end up having to try once or twice before getting it right. It's nice that they mapped a lot of the other lock-on moves to the B button, though. Once I got used to that, I was juggling stuff in the air like the game seems to want me to do.

The boss, I thought, wasn't too bad. It's really easy to dodge her attacks, but they do hit pretty hard. I was down to my last sliver of health when I finished her. The dialogue is immensely stupid, but I honestly chuckled a few times just at how stupid it really is.

There were a few little details I liked, though. When I fight DMC bosses for the first time, I tend to stand back and hurl bullets at it for a while until I get a groove for attacking/dodging/whatevering it until it dies. After a while of instinctively doing this (despite the bullets doing no damage), Slurm Queen McSuccubus said something like, "Stop shooting at me with those annoying little pea-shooters, you (jumble of swearwords I don't remember)!" There was other dialogue, but a lot of it was cut off.

On the other hand, even with how goofy and stupid the dialogue is, it lacks a lot of what made cutscenes in the other games so enjoyable. I also don't like how "cinematic" the boss fight was. In most DMC boss fights, the entire fight is played out in one gameplay sitting. There aren't little scenes that show you doing a powerful move on the enemy; YOU were responsible for doing that powerful move. Granted, Nero was a little guilty of this if you used his Buster, but even then, you usually could control how much damage he did with it, and you could only use it on bosses when they were weakened enough. PLUS, you still had to hit them to activate it.

When I first Buster'd Berial in DMC4, I felt ...well, awesome. Seeing Nero throw around something fifty times his size as I pressed the B button was empowering as hell, and it made it feel like I'd earned the right to use that move. In DmC, after I drain the boss's health enough, Dante automatically runs up and Shoryukens it so that I can pull off one of its...things...and hurt it. Not nearly as cool.

Those are my thoughts in a nutshell. I'm gonna play around with the demo some more and get used to the game more.

As it stands, I feel like the game is...fun? But not on the same level I'd call DMC or Bayonetta "fun."

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 21, 2012

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Is there a divinity statue in the demo? Or do I just keep missing it?

Pretty sure there isn't one. It's a shame, because it would've been neat to at least purchase some upgrades and see what some of Dante's unlockable moves are.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

You gotta wonder what they were thinking with those dice rooms in 4, and then the penultimate level with those dice steps and a boss rush (I've never been a fan of endgame boss rushes, it's just padding). Dante had the best idea.

This bit isn't so bad if you know the trick; Nero's a bit of a cheater, you see. If you use any of the Buster moves (grabbing or uppercutting), the die will automatically land on whatever side was face-up. Since the die always rotates through all six numbers in the same order, it was easy to cheese those sections. Even before I knew that, I enjoyed the second iteration of the dice minigame because it gave me a chance to reacquaint myself with Nero for the final boss, after dicking around (and dying, a whole, whole lot) with Dante.

Of course, as you say, Dante's version of "The winning move is not to play" is far superior. As is literally everything Dante does in comparison to Nero. :allears:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

weird bleep posted:

Don't forget to hit devil trigger to shoot out a dragon or something that Dante has the power to do in that one segment for some reason.

I've said it earlier in this thread, but if they ever brought back Space Dragon Devil Trigger, even if it was in DmC, I would love that game unconditionally.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Let them rot. If they go under because of this game, then good. It'd be no great loss. They've got some nice visual direction, sure, but they are awful at the gameplay element.

Yeesh. A little harsh, don't you think? I know this isn't exactly the best Devil May Cry game, and that they're getting a lot of what made the series good wrong, but it's not so bad that people deserve to lose their jobs over it. Maybe chill out a little, dude.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Brutakas posted:

I saw an Origin advert for Devil May Cry which mentions a prequel:

I love how unbelievably wrong this is. :allears:

DmC ad: shows DMC4 in the background, pre-order button links to a page with DmC nowhere to be found, states it's a prequel, states it's developed by the people who developed Resident Evil 5.

That said, $6.80 for DMC4 on PC is a pretty sweet deal. Hell, that price is worth Legendary Dark Knight mode alone.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

SurrealityCheck posted:

Bayo2 gonna have co-op thoooooooooo

Are you for real?

...Tell me you're for real.

Also an online mode for DMC that's sort of like Mercenaries would be pretty rad. Just two dudes and a bunch of monsters to murder, try to survive for as long as possible, etc. Almost like a multiplayer bloody palace but maybe more randomized?

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Lookin' pretty alright.

This game isn't even out yet and it's already GOTY 2014 so far. :allears:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The thing with God of War is that the developers have flat-out said that depth is not a priority for their combat systems. They're specifically designed as setpiece-focused, with the combat's primary goal being to not get in the way of the setpieces or to detract from the setpieces. They've put little emphasis in upgrading the combat because it really isn't a focus. They are really good at setpieces and that is where they put the bulk of their effort.

The biggest reason I love Platinum Games is because they manage to do both. They do setpieces and combat design stupidly well, and often combine the two in interesting and fun ways, probably better than any other major developer currently. I was disappointed with DmC but it didn't bother me all that much because I knew Revengeance was around the corner and it'd scratch my itch until it bled.

Another big difference between God of War-type games and Platinum/DMC games, I think, is the tone. God of War and a lot of games that emulate it take themselves very seriously, and expect you to sit down and keep thinking to yourself, "Oh man, that was so epic!" with each passing cutscene. There are some "funny" bits too, but generally you're supposed to root for Kratos as he murders an entire pantheon in his ridiculously long quest for revenge. It's not terrible I guess, but it's certainly less entertaining to me than how Platinum constructs their storylines.

Platinum tends to create this crazy, impossible story just like God of War does, but they complement it with a level of goofiness. Their games don't typically take the story very seriously and every cutscene will have at least one insane, funny moment in it. The protagonists always seem to be having a ton of fun, and they even show off. It's ridiculous but it works because the gameplay matches this tone exactly (unless you gently caress up a lot). Granted, they don't always pull this off perfectly--those few cutscenes before and after the Father Balder fight in Bayonetta reeeeaaaally dragged, for example, though I did feel more invested in what was going on in those scenes than I did in any cutscene for God of War, so there's that I guess.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm actually going to have played it four times whenever Bayo 2 comes out and it's going to be every bit as aggravating there as it was the last two times. I want to play the loving game already, not listen to your deep-voiced narrator talk some story poo poo I don't care about while fighting enemies that don't matter.

When you start a new game on the same file you don't have to play the prologue again. Unless you're just using new save files each time instead of advancing in difficulty as you go or something, which would be silly.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

No, I mean there are two different occasions aside from my first playthrough where I had to start entirely new files (PS3 stolen and got a 360) and play that tired opening two more times. Now with the Wii U version I'm gonna have to do it again. Like you guys do know this game has copy protection, right?

EDIT: Holy poo poo, did you two seriously not pick up the hint when I said "when Bayo 2 comes out" that I've had to start new files in the past?

Ah, I read your post as "I'll have to play it four times when Bayo 2 comes out" which made me think you anticipated playing it with each difficulty increase. My bad, yo.

Also I don't mind the Space Harrier level all that much but if it were like half as long and wasn't placed before the best boss in the game it'd be infinitely more tolerable. That last fight with Temperantia itself just takes way too long, even if you mash both shooting buttons at once to fire faster. That stage is the only level I've never bothered to get a Platinum Medal for because I'm really loving bad at Space Harrier apparently. It's weird, because I typically love shoot-em-up games and rail shooters.

But hey, the presentation of it is pretty rad. Also, I dig the music.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Turbo Mode makes the game a lot of fun, honestly. Makes getting the hang of switching Angel/Demon modes on the fly a lot harder, though.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Hardcore mode on Turbo is no joke. I actually had to turn turbo off because I got to the point where I was consistently dying. I miss that high speed but drat. Also, they weren't kidding when they said they made the style rank more strict--I've only managed to get up to SSS a single time, and that was against those regular enemies you get to wail on during the Bob fight.

In some ways it almost seems too strict. The style system being way harder is a welcome change, but DmC's gameplay simply doesn't mesh with it. For instance, if you want to keep your style up, then don't charge the fist weapons, because by the time the charge is full, your style is tanked. Oh, and any enemy--like those Witches--that require you to break through any kind of shield to actually damage? Yeah, say goodbye to your style rank, it's gone. Also, there are missions where I consistently hit S rank during each of the combat sequences and the game grades me a "D" or a "C" for style overall at the end of the mission--the gently caress is up with that?

There are little issues that contribute to it as well. Grappling enemies doesn't seem to keep style up, the drat scythe attacks so slowly that unless you're hitting multiple enemies with it or finishing one off, your style just stays neutral, etc. I think the biggest issue might be that a combo repeated a single time in a row accounts for zero style--so if you use, say, Rebellion's standard combo, and then use the pause combo, you'll lose a bit because the first two strikes don't add to your style. I don't think the classic games did it quite like that--didn't combos just detriment over time? Or maybe I'm just misremembering because I played DMC 3 and 4 a loving shitload when they came out and got pretty good at them. I dunno.

Once you unlock more weapons and everything, style is a bit easier to keep up, but man there is just no leeway here. I feel like the classic games weren't this strict with style, though I could be wrong. Then again, even if they were, that's what taunting was for. I know his taunts would be lame-rear end poo poo like "I'LL RIP YOU APART" or whatever but I'm still sad this game doesn't let you taunt at all. My left thumb always instinctively moves for the select button after beating some fool into the ground. :(

One last little thing: this game's camera does not like manual lock-on. It'll swoop around a lot to try to get you facing your enemy. Being able to roll around an enemy with an evade is rad as gently caress though. It completely changes the flow of some of the fights.

All that aside, Hardcore mode--among the other changes--made this game go from "meh, I guess this is aight" to "hey, this is pretty fun" for me. Certain enemy designs are still annoying as poo poo (gently caress those fat bastards, seriously) but the game is more fast-paced even without turbo mode and the enemies actually present a challenge because they, you know, attack you and stuff.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Are there any good strategies for fighting Blitzes as Trish? Best I can figure Sparda throws do nothing to the lightning shield and handgun bullets aren't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

notZaar posted:

Ooh snap I had no idea Bayo 2 had an LP already. Six months flies by fast.

If this is in regards to the LP six month rule, that has been lifted. You can LP games whenever now.

Also, Bayonetta 2 is...weird. I'm divided on the game because on one hand it's still genuinely fun to play but I really feel like Bayonetta was a better game, and whenever I stop and think about it I can never put my finger on why. Really the only part of Bayo1 I don't like is the Space Harrier bit, and even then it's only because it's required to play through to get to the best boss fight in the game.

Like yeah, Bayonetta 2 is easier, but I feel like the bosses just aren't as fun to fight. The Lumen Sage is a pain in the rear end to fight compared to Jeanne, and the giant angel bosses sorta lack the presence and threat the Cardinal Virtues had in the first game. And with Rodin it's the opposite--he feels a lot harder than he did in the first game, but his attacks also seem cheap. You could pretty reliably dodge all of his moves in the first game with some practice, but after a good couple of hours fighting him in Bayo 2 without ever taking off a single health bar I gave up for good.

The shield-face boss is fuckin' rad though, I love that guy. Alraune was fun, too. Also, Gomorrah in the beginning is cool as poo poo, even though he's the easiest boss in the game.

I guess I just feel like Bayonetta 2 lacks a certain level of polish that the original game had. Which is fine, because it's still pretty awesome and stands head and shoulders above games like, say, DmC. I hope if/when they make Bayonetta 3 they put some more time into it, though.

e: Also, Bayonetta 2 doesn't have as many goofy, funny moments, though that's more of a personal complaint than anything. The few moments the game does have are top notch anyway.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 11, 2015

• Locked thread