Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I can't be the only one who thinks DMC1 is still the best. Sure, the combat in DMC3 is better, but in terms of backgrounds, bosses, enemy design, feedback, music, and atmosphere, DMC is still the high point of the series for me. It's sad they completely discarded the survival horror tone for the sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I know the gameplay has nothing in common, but the background art, the score, and the overall tone of the game take me back to games like Fatal Frame and Resident Evil. In the rest of the games the backgrounds are just generic and bland. It's things that wouldn't change the gameplay one bit, and its absence is something I can look past, but it definitely made DMC lose part of its appeal for me.
Onimusha, on the other hand, became better IMO when they went from survival horror to full-on retarded anime action game.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 23, 2011

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Some new pictures showing Dante's weapons and some wifebeater action. Ebony and Ivory's new design looks like something out of a 90's Marvel comic.
http://www.vandal.net/noticia/65779/dante-y-sus-armas-se-muestran-en-las-nuevas-imagenes-de-dmc-/

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The port of DMC3 is an absolute mess, but DMC4 on PC is the superior version.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know what you mean by rigid, but it's pretty much the same system as in 3 with better feedback.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Capcom just showed this at Gamescom.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

How the gently caress did the same guys design this and New Dante?
Fan feedback. I bet this isn't what they had in mind initially.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Nightmare is pretty good once you get used to his attacks. Leviathan's heart on the other hand has to be the worst boss in the series.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I hate that one because they make you think you're going to fight a Sparda clone and then you get a big blob that doesn't even have a proper hitbox. DMC3 had a lot of shoddy enemies, come to think of it. It's the reason I can't put it above the original regardless of how good the combat in 3 is.
And yeah, Argosax is horrible and they didn't even playtest it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Wish they would go back to this kind of music. I'm tired of hearing that guy talking about the fridge in my eye.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

So, which game had the best Dante? I'm partial to the first game's one, because I quite like his hairstyle and voice, but he's let down by being a bit too serious.
I also liked his voice and face in the first game. Not that I don't like Reuben Langdon, but I think Dante needs to have a deeper voice.
I can't pick a favorite costume because they all have good and bad parts. It would be a mix of the clothes he wears in 2 and 4.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I think the decision to outsource DMC came from Inafune, who is no longer in Capcom. I doubt he had anything against Dante. He was just going through a midlife crisis and thought they had to Westernize everything.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Other than the aesthetics, the thing that made DMC1 better than any other game in the genre was the feedback. They really nailed the feel of the weapons. As much as I like DMC3, it feels like I'm cutting through paper with a kitchen knife most of the time.
I agree that the fact that every move has a clear purpose makes it even better.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Hi guys!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
As stupid as the old design was, it was iconic. I just watched that Smash Bros knock off trailer and the new Dante is in it, but it took me way too long to even recognize him. Changing the design is fine, but NT's Dante is too divorced to the old one's distinguishing features.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Are you holding R1 while you press triangle?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

notZaar posted:

I was fairly impressed by the DMD stream, there are a lot of moves that look fun to play with. One big problem though, it appears that ground based enemies have absolutely zero anti-air capabilities. Considering how easy it is to stay in the air in this game, that really deflates a lof of the tension from fights.

Some ground attacks have ridiculous vertical hitboxes, so unless you stay high in the air, you're still in danger.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

wildzero posted:

In the first Sanctus fight in DMC4, during a Buster Nero might tell Sanctus "I'm not interested in your bullshit!" You might not even hear it, because if I remember right, there's a set of taunts for that boss fight and they're randomized.

Yeah, he also says "Go blow yourself" just before that. Also, I swear he says "gently caress you" sometimes when you use the devil bringer, but the sound balance is so bad that it could be anything.

vv Yeah, I think you have to do the devil trigger version (i.e. Final Atomic Buster) to hear it.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 3, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

You also could do Shin Shoryuken in DMC3, using Beowulf and Swordmaster, which was my point :v:

You can follow it up with Tatsumaki Senpukyaku if you mash the button.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Some prerendered videos and the menus are 4:3. I noticed some minor frame drops in DMC3 whenever there was a explosion close to the camera. There are a couple of missing effects in DMC1 (Mundus shockwave attack is invisible and some of those cool moving texture effects are gone). Apart from those small flaws, the collection is pretty good. DMC1 runs at a full 60hz and at the proper aspect ratio, which is a huge plus if you played the PAL version.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

GUI posted:

Is there still any explanation as to why you can't just tap the back buttons to change to the angel/devil weapons in DmC?

Because that's how it worked in Heavenly Sword, I guess. Yes, they dropped lock on just so they could stick to that system.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Fonzarelli posted:

Also, the crazy black cats in Devil May Cry gently caress my poo poo up, even though I'm a killer Bayonetta player. What is up with them?
They are for the most part tame if you don't attack them. Wait until you see bubbles in their faces (if they're off camera, you'll hear a distinctive sound) and jump. If you manage to perch on the spike, activate DT and shoot them with the pistols. If you do it right, they'll automatically go into self destruct mode.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Stygi posted:

Proud Souls seem to depend on one's overall performance, including damage taken. Enemy Handicap occurs when you die a lot and use continues, causing the game to make the enemies weaker out of pity.

I tried a while ago, and it seems you don't even need to die. If you stand still for a while, enemies will stop attacking so much.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I gave up on officially beating 4 when the last last boss was a vague quick-time event that could kill you in three hits when you had no room to dodge.

You mean the fake Savior? You don't even need to dodge. Just buster his right fist and the grab his left one in mid-air. The timing is very forgiving.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Re: Nero. I use the default setup and press circle with the lower part of my thumb to use the devil bringer. :smug:
If they ever bring Nero back, I think they should probably make it so that you only have to tap R2 to start charging the Blue Rose.

vv I agree, but adding another active system on top of Exceed could be potentially too much to handle at once.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 4, 2013

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I just tried and nothing happened. I simply didn't get hurt.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm playing it on DMD at the moment. Even though it's pretty much the first game in the genre, it does right what lots of games today do wrong. The bosses are so much fun on DMD. Nelo Angelo 3 took me forever, but by the end I was jumping off the tip of his sword like it's nothing.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
You can bait his front leg attack and counter with a stinger. Otherwise, stick to DT'd helm breakers.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The Vatican part with Dante can be quite hard, mostly due to the unfair checkpoint placement.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is there really no way to use the unlock all cheat in DMC3 without being locked out of my saves? The PS2 version let you save at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What I find disappointing is that we've had two games where the main villain steals Sparda's powers, but they don't fight like Sparda at all. I liked how in DMC1 Dante gets some cool new moves for the last boss, but then the other games have ignored it altogether.

• Locked thread