Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alteisen posted:

He also really likes strawberry sundaes in it for some reason.

To be fair that actually seems like something Dante would like. I don't hate the animated series as much as most people, but it is extremely boring and the only noteworthy thing about it is Reuben Langdon took a pay cut to voice Dante in it, showing how he is the David Hayter of DMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DMC3 devil triggers always struck me as a bit weird. Like, Vergil's head in the devil trigger was just silly and Dante's always seemed off. DMC4 thankfully gave Dante a significantly cooler looking Devil Trigger.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hopefully we'll see some gameplay footage on its own soon, because I can't really judge this too well. On the other hand, not sure how I feel about Dante's rear end.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the gameplay doesn't look bad, but I'm not getting the DMC-vibe from it that I was hoping for.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As someone who is American and hates dealing with politics, this is really annoying. I'd like to think if there was one game series I'd never see politics in, it'd be Devil May Cry, but here we are. I mean if I wanted to see a satire on politics I'd watch some of Lewis Black's stand up, not play my hack 'n slash kill funtime bloodgore with cheesy action scenes. Although in the end this sort of thing doesn't matter, as long as the gameplay's solid enough then I'll probably buy it... a few months after release.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Official E3 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoU2IDR8pY4

Noteable Notes: gently caress, kind of cool techno club stuff, gently caress, new screamo music, gently caress, THE ORDER, gently caress, I AM A GOD villain and did I mention gently caress?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Isn't Other M more Sakamoto's fault than Team Ninja's? I mean, I know that they hosed with NG3 to a ridiculous extent but I wouldn't really blame Other M on them since Sakamoto is kind of te one who messes with things. Anyways, this is besides the point, I wonder why Capcom seriously thought DMC was the title to outsource? I'd like to believe that when you outsource something, you do it for the sake of increasing poor numbers to good numbers instead of trying great to phenomenal numbers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love how self-assured that article is on DMC's humor being faithfully adapted into this. As if the past DMC games humor was in Dante having to swear or in random pop culture references.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
One of te best things about DMC4 is definitely Nero's weapons triangle. It's easily one of the best implemented weapon systems in DMC. Everything about the weapon's triangle clicks together perfectly, all three weapons work in tandem with one another and it never feels like its some gimmick. The Devil Bringer in and of itself was a fantastic mechanic, every type of enemy has a unique buster and due to that it lets you plan on how to fight one enemy in your own way, especially Blitzes, Blitzes are awesome. There's also no DMC game that has the Credo boss fight, on of the best DMC bosses. Literally everything about that fight is perfect, from the music, to fighting him, to the difficulty and how it's only gimmick is breaking his shield. It's also the only boss that has arena damage.

I could go on about DMC4, but I will stop for now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone knows Dante's real love interest has always been pizza and strawberry sundaes, come on guys.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's hard to tell how Capcom would react to this game bombing. I'd like to think that they'd just look past it and get a legit DMC5 started, but there's also the fear that they'd drop the series because the team they put this game under is a bunch of incompetent assholes who wasted some of their money. I can only hope at this point that the big surprise at Gamescom is that this game was a massive joke and they'll just be releasing a new DMC on the Vita or something, I CAN HOPE.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I knew Bayonetta was PG's best selling game, but I didn't know they broke a million, nice. I can only hope Anarchy does as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oxxidation posted:

I won't really be shedding too many tears if Ninja Theory sinks. They're CG artists with delusions of grandeur, not game developers, and it's shown in all their work so far.

This is the thing I don't get about NT, they really don't seem to like the "video game" aspect of their games. Say what you will about guys like Hideo Kojima, Tetsuya Nomura and David Cage, but they show that they actually do like video games and care about the medium. No matter how ridiculous or heavily story over gameplay they get (Or in Cage's case being really creepy) they genuinely do seem to give a drat about video games and are enthusiastic about them. Ninja Theory really seems more like they'd rather be working on some artistic underground movie group than on video games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

IGN posted:

Meanwhile, j1spen summarizes the totality of this DMC debacle with this final pearl: "if this game was a cat, it'd be a very nice cat."

Holy poo poo, seriously? I mean, I know the previous was quote before this was really nondescript, but then they go with this one that has absolutely no relevance to DMC. You could attach this quote to loving anything and it would still be just as worthless and silly as it already is. Also, I feel this is the only article on this game so far that feels like it's fellating the game in word form. I know other ones have been dumb, but not this fanatical.

Oh my god, that article is so bad.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 22, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, now this game is just annoying me by liberally using terms that it doesn't seem to have a grasp on. I know people are allowed to take their own interpretations with things, but Succubi are demons who take the form of human women to seduce men, the male counterpart being an incubus. Unless they show the Slurm Queen show herself transform into a woman to get some f- I'm gonna stop right there before that gets any more creepy than it already is. It's not like Beowulf or Geryon, those are names which can just be attached to things if you so wish, but Poison's name is not Succubus. Although it's very possible I'm just not anticipating this game so much I'm letting even the mythology part of it piss me off when that stuff can be interpreted in any way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was acknowledging they were calling her a succubus in my post, I even acknowledged her name is Poison. Although, I am definitely just being :spergin: about this because I am not excited for the game, I'll stop that now.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Imagine the Savior battle from DMC4, but really loving boring. And with more "FUCCCCCCKKKKKKK YOOOOOOU!"

I've never seen this fight until now and hearing that it's the first time their tester beat it live sounds like a load of crap. I mean the boss didn't do anything in that fight that could be remotely considered "thoughtprovoking". I have to admit though I do like the scenery a lot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never thought I would be anticipating a Darksiders game, but drat did they fix it up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could see New Dante being something Capcom told them to go with when they probably asked to use the the one from the PS2 games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I would also rather have a new Viewtiful Joe over Bayonetta. I mean, it's been so long since we've seen a legit game done by Kamiya for it and it would be fantastic.

...Oh right the new trailer, yeah boxes and pulling boxes... can't wait.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nikolaos posted:

Obesity? What? Where the hell did that come from?

It's in the trailer for the slurm factory and it's probably the demons saying "The humans are so stupid that they will drink this random gunk we sell them and they will become obese." Further cementing that these villains are so cartoonish they might as well be in an episode of Futurama.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like it's kind of a waste that they paired Dante with Demitri instead of Frank West, but Frank West Hsien-Ko is almost good enough to make up for that.

Anyways, Capcom you already hired a company to handle a new IP with great visuals and whatnot, their names were CC2. They know ho well Asura's Wrath sold and why it didn't sell that well, beyond it being a niche game, nobody wanted to play a game that was all style and no substance. DmC is you guys retreading already trodden ground, although whereas Asura's Wrath at least had a unique story, interesting characters, and fantastic visuals, DmC manages to do gently caress all in any of those departments except good visuals. Really, this all could've been avoided if Capcom didn't think "Let's hand one of our most popular properties to some guys whose visuals we really like, a property that's all very gameplay" and instead just supported a new IP for them.

Knowing Capcom though, it was to for sure make the money back by just using DMC's name. And yes, I know this game was announced before Asura's Wrath, but it would help if Capcom actually looked at that and saw that this is a pretty similar case.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There really should've been a Pizza demon so Dante could fight with a pizza as a devil arm.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You guys should really let Frank West join in on the fun with these mergers, he's easily up there with them in crazy rear end fighting styles.

EDIT: Also, what in the hell is with that video? Christ, do these guys think anything through at all?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dante's voice is fine, but is the voice director trying to make him sound dull? I mean, I remember the pier trailer and he sounded a lot more enthusiastic in that one, now it's just "You're my brother. :geno:" I can't say Vergil's design is really bad, but his face is weird and so are movements. Also, why do I feel like this was a commercial for a movie more than it was for a video game?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If LDK mode on DMC4 PC is basically Dyansty Warriors with DMC4 combat, then I am upgrading my PC the first chance I get because that looks amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That interview is the most insufferable thing and the fact that they're acting like the build-up for the game hasn't been anything other than massive vitriol from both the developers and most fans is ridiculous. I understand you need to save face because you're trying to market the game, but god dammit there has got to be a point where you can't kiss more rear end and actually have to admit something's amiss. Even if the game ends up decent at this point, the pre-release shenanigans are going to sour me on it so much that I'll barely be able to enjoy what little of it is probably good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Now I have literally no reasons to give a drat about DmC, thank you Nintendo for making this possible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

notZaar posted:

The only reason I even knew about God Hand is because I happened to see it on the shelf at Gamestop. Capcom left that game out to dry, its their fault it didn't sell.

No it is not. The game could've sold better than it did if they tried to market it, but it still did not have a good audience in the west, hell it was actually marketed somewhat decently in Japan and still managed to only sell modestly. God Hand is not a game that appeals to a great deal of people, especially for the time it came out in, even if it is a really fun game. Okami is more of the same, a game filled to the brim with Japanese culture is not going to sell well in the west, even when every reviewer out there was singing its praises, it just does not appeal to a western audience. I don't know how Okami did in Japan, but I have to believe it did well enough over there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm really shocked that Okami sold that badly in Japan. Is there any reason as to why it did so much worse over there?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
IGN doesn't know what they're talking about, terrible voice acting. Who in the hell hates Daran Norris playing a completely straight evil guy in a purple suit and Jamieson Price speaking in a thick spanish accent.

I'M GETTING HUNGRY HOMBRE

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think Katamari Damacy is a good example, it was a new game both in style and in gameplay which is something very attractive to people especially during 2004 where people were willing to try anything. As appealing to most people as God Hand may seem, it's still a beat 'em up game being released during a time of the Seventh Generation's coming and a time when beat 'em up games barely even existed so interest in them was small. Thinking that God Hand failing was Capcom's fault is ridiculous, there are many things to show for God Hand's failure, but I really doubt Capcom actively tried to not make money in God Hand's case. People seem to have this disposition to believe that Capcom hated Clover and held them down, but that seems ridiculous since at the time Clover was still under their name and making them money and the idea Capcom is trying to not make money really seems idiotic to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those are some silly looking gauntlets and that trailer was all over the place, but not really terrible. Also, Vergil using guns doesn't really seem out of character to me considering the most proof we had that he found guns distasteful was just a description and he never showed any actual aversion to them, not mocking Dante, not even like "Oh boy, a gun, those sure suck.", he did not even hesitate to use one in the end of the game, so Vergil having a problem with guns has always seemed more to me like something that was just informed rather than actually shown.

Mind you, he's still looking like a huge wimp in DmC so there's more to be annoyed with in his design than just "What? He doesn't have a problem with guns?"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"These aren't your dad's video games, these are video games for MEN! Ninja Theory's about to make you their bitch. Etc."

What are the odds on us getting adverts similar to that?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So Amazon's got the HD Collection list at about 16 bucks, is it worth it? I don't know if the HD Collection has a lot of problems or not, but I heard it wasn't too hot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know we're still all mad about the Linkin Park image with Dante in the bathroom, but can I just say that this image killed me?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Death of Eva

gently caress you, you steryotypical angel chick.

Oh my god, please tell me I'm not the only one who laughed at this image. Beyond the fact that kid Dante is carrying his mother who's twice his size bridal style, you've got got like eight angels crying over him to make the most tryhard image I've seen to make me try and care about some chick we haven't even seen in the trailers yet.

Also, wasn't there some thing about how NT was going to make the angels evil too or something? Or did I imagine that up in some dream?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is something straight out of the Empty Spaces video from Pink Floyd's The Wall. Not that that's bad, if you're looking for psychedelic imagery then taking from Gerald loving Scarfe is one way to achieve that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is a neat trailer and makes me wish they were nearly as creative with the rest of this game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DmC: Vergil wears a loving fedora

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like how all of Dante's alt costumes in All Stars aren't even actual different costumes, he's just removing more and more of his clothing, especially when you look at the disparity of guys like Raiden who's got Pre-Revengeance Cyborg and MGS2 Raiden as his other alts. It's not Superbot's fault or anything, but would Capcom really have gotten mad at them for just like inventing a new costume or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
3 has like maybe all of three scenes that are played completely straight (Two of them involve Vergil.) and even then those still have all sorts of action movie dialogue littering them and 4's definitely treated more seriously, but this time it's given Power Rangers dialogue so that helps balance it out to make it seem more silly and so you don't take it THAT seriously.

DMC1 definitely is played straight for the most part, though.

• Locked thread