Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
My name, by the way, is Dante, but you can call me Dante the Demon Killer. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm not to keen on the rumble, but the flash sounds pretty useful.
The lack of a decent lock-on seems to be a continuing hinderance though. And that style meter needs fixing, as does the thing to stop the player spamming the same attacks over and over, to raise the Rank.

Also, I found this video retweeted from Tameem Antonides Twitter, along with the message "Thanks for ruining Devil May Cry even further you putrid loving oval office: [videolink]" directed at him. The message was a bit unnecssary IMO, but hopefully it'll mean he does something about it.

I'm sure it's been posted on here before, but this time it has annotations. They really have to fix this loving game before it's released. This isn't like someone mastering the battle system of the previous DMCs, and doing awesome things like dodging lasers using trickster, or Royal Guard or whatever, using frame perfect timing. It's so broken. :stare:

You posted the wrong link, here you go.

Hadn't actually seen that video before, looks pretty bad. Some of the issues that he points out could probably be dealt with but I doubt that they're going to redo that entire boss fight so that it's not completely boring.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

quote:

"I don't know how you define 'cool,'" said Antoniades. "If someone says they're cool they're automatically not cool. but I think it's about being original and honest. And I think when you try to look outside of video games you see what's being missed in video games as a whole. We looked up a lot of fashion and we went to a lot of gigs, we tried to understand where this concept of 'cool' come from."

I look at the original Dante and I see a character who is original and honest, he stands out. I can understand wanting to take the character in a new direction, especially after four games, but the new Dante doesn't really strike me as an 'original' character. I mean the game isn't out yet so I can't say for sure, but from what I've seen there don't seem to be many original facets to his character. The demon-slaying stuff has been done before, as has the rebellious attitude, the angry teen angle, etc. It's a little odd that he talks about making a cool character, and defines coolness in terms of originality and honesty, and then fails to fulfill one of those conditions.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Played the demo, here's what I thought. The bones of the combat, in general, seem to take a lot from DMC4 (which I quite liked). Dante's combat style seems like a mix of Nero and Dante from DMC4, but with a HUGE chunk of what made Dante's fighting style interesting torn out completely. The combat is way too easy, and not very interesting. The Angel weapon seems pretty useless except against those enemies that happen to be invulnerable to everything else. The controls are probably the most difficult thing about the demo. They're so different, and I haven't really bothered getting used to them because I have better things to play (didn't stop me from destroying the demo though). I really wish they'd implemented a lock-on system, because apart from making the combat more precise and allowing me to gauge how much health enemies have left, it means I don't have to use a separate button to launch/slam enemies. This is a total waste of a button, which could have been used for better things (like a style button).

The boss is absolutely awful and doesn't test your combat abilities at all. You stand there motionless for about 6 seconds waiting for her to swing so you can parry, then you pull her (in a cutscene, in which she makes the most annoying screech sound ever, which you WILL hear about 10 times before the battle's over), attack her a bit, and then do some platforming. I mean come on! The music is pretty awful, the dialogue is frankly embarrassing, just bleh overall. Also the sound kept cutting out on her stage (I'm on PS3 and I have never had this issue with any other game, before or since).

The visuals are a mixed bag. I don't mind the enemy designs, and the environmental design is pretty cool. Things animate quite nicely. The only problem is that things look quite rough graphically! There's an annoying amount of pixellation and I didn't care for all the blurring going on. All of that is secondary to the fact that the game can't even hold 30fps, which is terrible for a DMC game! DMC4 ran at 60 and had better anti-aliasing!

Overall just not impressed.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 27, 2012

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

AccountingNightmare posted:

To the other people who felt the game had input lag, especially with the weapon changes, were you playing the 360 version or the PS3 version? I was playing the PS3 version.

Actually I had that problem too in the first stage of the demo. Playing PS3.

PS your lps are cool.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Played through DMC4 again recently and the thing I couldn't get away from was how dated the controls feel, especially the lock-on system and how so many of your moves rely on locking on. After playing Bayonetta I wish they'd added some form of auto-lock and allowed double tapping or directional combos to execute moves, in addition to manual lock on. I can see where they were coming from when they were designing DmC but the "we need more buttons" excuse doesn't really fly when the game has two buttons assigned to the same dodge, and keeping manual lock-on couldn't have hurt. It's good that they're adding it in and tweaking it to be a better game all around. I wasn't impressed by the demo and didn't end up getting it.

For 4SE I hope they add more battle music and improve the feedback when Dante is attacking. Dante in 3 feels like an absolute beast and you really get the feeling that he's completely slamming whatever he's hitting. I don't know if it's the hit noise or the monster screams or the animations but in 4 it's like you're swishing around a pool noodle or something, it's always really bugged me. I actually prefer the combat in 3 because of it. I doubt they're going to "finish" the campaign or rework the more annoying/tedious enemies.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not just two dodges, but a dedicated launcher/helm-splitter button. Less moves spread over more buttons. :shobon:
For comparison (with the lock-on), the same button gives Dante at least three moves per style (not including unique aerial/ground attacks and combos.)

It's almost a shame that they didn't go in a completely new direction with the combat, or at least keep the lock-on\. because maybe then they could have done something interesting with the extra button. The old DMC-style combat just really needs that button to work if you take away lock-on. I'm not really a DMC purist and the game was a reboot anyway, so I wouldn't have cared if they'd overhauled the combat. As long as it's done well, I'm happy.

Maybe whoever makes DMC5(6?) will take a long hard look at what other games have done and do something really cool, if that ever happens.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's sort of the problem with the combat system in DmC - it is a new direction, and they did overhaul the combat. The issue is that it's inferior to what it's replacing.
The Stance System lacks the versatility of the Style System, lack of lock-on makes everything floaty, and everything it purports to add has already been done better in the main series (aside from the platforming, I'll give it that :v:).

It'd be fine if it were an original IP, but Capcom was saying "This is the new face of DMC - this is the direction we want to take with future games - and this is the standard we want them to be".
This definitive editon, is basically Capcom's admission of "Well. We done goofed, we're making it more like the older series. Here's all the poo poo you complained about that we said wasn't important, but actually is. We hosed up".

A hypothetical DmC2 or a DMC5 would likely be a continuation of the mechanics (or at least, much closer to those)found in the main series, rather than the odd experiment of DmC.

I meant more that I would have been happy for them to get rid of any resemblance to the old DMC combat, right down to Dante's standard sword combo, and put in something totally different, like a light/heavy two button system. As long as it works I don't really care if it's not like the old games. If you're going to do a reboot you might as well experiment.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I keep fingers on all of the shoulder buttons and triggers, so one dodge button wouldn't be a problem.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
What else are they changing in the SE? Do you think we'll get an answer to the most important question in DMC: what does Dante scream after Nevan turns into the guitar?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
That DMC3 mod is extremely good but the game still has atrocious fps problems that are only fixed by deleting certain sound files and mid-level music tracks... such a bad port.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Jon Do posted:

Huh, I have not yet gotten to any areas with FPS issues. Which files, in case I do?

You might not get it, but if you do, try the instructions here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/6550/discussions/0/864969320373351964/

Apparently some people don't get the sound fps bug for whatever reason. I've had it happen in an area in one playthrough, then not happen the next time... it's odd.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mr E posted:

Maybe this means Dragon's Dogma on Steam :smith:.

:pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yes, although it might not get a Western release. The original game being ported to PC isn't that crazy. It's on the same engine (MT Framework) that a lot of other cross-platform Capcom titles are on, it sold quite well, would probably do alright as a digital download on the new consoles/PC. Maybe if the MMO does well it'll happen.

• Locked thread