Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Apparently it's an alternate universe type deal.

That's why Team Ninja Dante is half-angel now as well. The cynic in me says that this is because of the enormous backlash when the trailer first aired.

Oh, and here's Dante's new look.

God that's so much better than the first version!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Give me a sec.

[e]:

Ninja Theory posted:

The Dante of DmC is a young man discovering and coming to terms with what it means to be the child of a demon and an angel. This split personality has a major impact on gameplay with Dante being able to call upon angel and demon abilities at will, transforming his Rebellion sword on the fly to dramatically affect both combat and movement.

Source: http://www.ninjatheory.com/games.php

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 15, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

My feeling on DmC is this:

I'd be interested in it if it wasn't a DMC game. Everything they've shown about it makes it look bad in the areas where DMC is usually strong. The combat looks slow and boring and the weapons seem dull and unimaginative and in general nothing I've seen of the combat looks any good, and the characters look generic as hell, and not even in the crazy way that DMC guys were generic.

The platforming sequence they showed off, however, looked like, if the game was devoted to stuff like that, it could be fun. It was rough, but it could be polished easily enough. The concept of being trapped in a living city that wants to kill you sounds like an ideal platformer location.

Agreed.

The combat looks similar to that in Dante's Inferno. Which is not a good comparison to make. I still don't like the really serious feel the trailers seem to be hinting at, considering that, while the plots are taken seriously at various points in the other games, most of it is just Dante having fun at being a badass.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OldTimeyProspector posted:

I was initially interested in this because I thought Heavenly Sword was hilarious and would have loved to see that kind of incredibly corny (corny-er?) take on DMC.

On the other hand, the news of angel/demon Dante just means a dumb "morality" system and probably a generic and boring upgrade tree like in a dozen other games so my interest is waning pretty quickly.

It's apparently not linked with a morality system. It's his heritage (He's an angel-demon half breed). In the regular DMC games, both he and Vergil are half-demon and half-human.

I read somewhere that it does link into his attacks, like aerial swipes for angel moves, and ground ones for demons or some such symbolic rubbish like that.

It amuses and annoys me when they say he's now a half-angel, considering that it's his humanity, and his mother's humanity that proves to be one of the biggest influences on Dante throughout the game.

It's implied the reason why Sparda is said to be so powerful in the games is because he understood and embraced humanity or something along those lines. After all, Devils never cry, but people can.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Found a picture of Dante's Devil...er...Human Trigger form.

On some of the DMC forums there's an unconfirmed report that Capcom will scrap any future installments of the DMC series if this game doesn't sell.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of source on that though, so it's probably just rumour-mill scaremongering.

[e]: Some enemy designs have also surfaced.

I must say, I do like their designs. And that baby has a very Giger-esque head.

[e2]: Someone also made a mock-up of what Vergil would look like in the hands of Ninja Theory.

Hehehe! David Bowie? What the hell are you doing DMC?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 15, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Combichrist, the band behind the music for the DMC trailer will also be working on the game soundtrack.

Andy LaPlegua posted:

"I'm working on a video game, the soundtrack for a video game as Combichrist and I'm doing some more soundtracks for some movies coming up.

What video game are you doing the soundtrack for?

"Devil May Cry"

That's a huge series...

Yeah, that's definitely a lot of fun to be working with that.

How are you finding it?

"It's very interesting and it's a lot of fun because; I'm used to basing things on my own creations, my own moods, my own fantasy and my own characters and now I'm kind of setting a tune to somebody else's character and somebody else's story line. It definitely makes things different, and since it's a video game I'll do everything it takes to make it feel right for the game and not for the band, so there is a lot of stuff that in there that I would never have used for Combichrist but for a game it just makes perfect sense."
Source: http://sinzine.com/component/k2/item/78-andy-laplegua-on-the-cross-over-appeal-of-combichrist

I'm...honestly not sure what to make of this. It's nowhere near as bad as learning that Korn would be doing the title song for the next Silent Hill game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Didn't the devs of the new game say something about how the visuals may run at 30FPS but the hit-detection still runs at 60FPS so it'll still feel the same? Can someone explain that to me in a way that makes it seem like it isn't complete bullshit?

What!? How the hell does that work!?

Antinumeric posted:

DMC3 and Godhand have incredibly good gameplay. Heck, you actually need to get good and improve at playing the game to get anywhere, let alone win. The combat system is unforgiving, but once you have the hang of it you can absolutely slaughter the enemies while looking cheezily cool.

The same is true for Bayonetta. While Yoshesque makes it look easy, the game can be balls-to-the-walls hard. But it's also insanely fun, once you master the art of dodging and weaving.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The art style is very good. If there's one thing that can be said about Ninja Theory, it's that the art style for the games is pretty solid. Barring of course New Coke Dante.

That said, I don't get why this couldn't have been a new IP. As Monkey Fracas said, the only thing linking it to DMC is "Dante", and a similar premise behind the gameplay.

Would it have really been that difficult to call it something else? It could at least then stand on its own merits rather than allow itself to be compared to the other DMC games.

The stories are really just so much set dressing in these games anyway.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Established franchises tend to do better for Capcom, and after several high-profile burns, they've retreated heavily into that. It's why we've got things like Dead Rising: Off the Record and Ultimate MvC3.

That's understandable I guess.

Speaking of MvC3, I've never really been into these sort of games, but drat. Vergil. :stare:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Dante/Nero/Vergil/Lady/Trish selection screen, Capcom. Do it.

Add Sparda to that list. He must have his own game, full of monocles, and killing, and kicking rear end, and drinking tea.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Have a week old interview, about NT and Capcom expecting the tidal wave of negativity when they released the first trailer.

Nowgamer.com posted:

DmC Devil May Cry direction has full support of Capcom despite fan reaction, says Ninja Theory.

DmC's negative fan reaction was in-part expected at Ninja Theory, while Capcom's supervision and support proves the developer isn't "just a bunch of monkeys," when it comes to taking the franchise forward, creative chief Tameem Antionades has told NowGamer.

"We were all prepared for a negative reaction to an extent. Capcom moved one of their much-loved franchises to an external studio for it to be taken in a new direction. It would be naive to think that there wouldn’t be a reaction," Antionades said of the initial fan reponse to the new-look Dante and wor do Ninja Theory's involvement.

"We’re happy and we have the full support of Capcom with our chosen narrative and gameplay direction. This approval alone should assure people that although this is a re-birth, with some bold decisions being made, we are not just a bunch of monkeys," he added.

Source: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1161211/dmc_devil_may_cry_were_not_just_a_bunch_of_monkeys_ninja_theory.html

Also from the same site, an interview with the Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades and Capcom’s lead producer Alex Jones.

Nowgamer Interview posted:

The specific plot of DmC has been shrouded in mystery so far. Would you consider the game to be a direct reboot, or does it fall in line with the series canon?

Tameem Antoniades (TA): "It’s a re-birth of the series that doesn’t adhere to the original canon but draws heavily from it. If you've never played a DMC game before, you can get stuck right in from the beginning with our game. If you have, then consider this an alternate take on the story."

Alex Jones (AJ): "We’re essentially building on the gameplay foundations laid by the previous four games, whilst at the same time taking the series in a fresh direction."

We’ve seen a few instances of DmC’s younger Dante in combat. In an industry where intricate brawlers like Bayonetta exist, do you feel in any way pressured to match the intensity and depth of that game, or indeed the brutality of Devil May Cry 3?

TA: The short answer is "yes". Intricate combat, depth, variety, and brutal challenges are the minimum we want to achieve. We also want to add new play styles in combat involving aerial combat and instant switching between several weapons.

I believe the combat should be a brutal expression of style so we are trying to give the player the tools and method to express themselves.

On top of those foundations, we are adding gameplay elements that complement combat such as elaborate traversal, a more dynamic world and a videogame story, which hopefully for once, treats us like sophisticated adults.

Nier beat you to it Ninja Theory :colbert:

Say what you will about Dante's appearance, it doesn't really matter if the game is good, right? Can you give us an insight into how Dante handles in the game, and which of his previous Devil May Cry iterations he falls most closely in line with, and why?

AJ: "We have of course taken inspiration from all of the previous games, but Dante in DmC has very much his own feel. Dante is young and relativity inexperienced in DmC, with a real anger and sense of rebellion about him. As a result Dante’s fighting style is more that of a street brawler than the choreographed fighter seen in previous games."

In the most recent trailer, we saw Dante reverting back into his ‘old Dante’ guise. In what ways can you give us an insight into this mechanic?

TA: "What you’re referring to is Dante’s Devil Trigger. When Devil Trigger is activated in DmC, Dante gains in power and speed, while all of the Demons in the current encounter are lifted from the ground and suspended mid-air ready for some aerial pummeling. The longer you stay off the ground, the more damage and longer your Devil Trigger lasts. It's a test of skill."

AJ: "Visually what you’re seeing when Devil Trigger is activated is Dante tapping into his inner devil. Even though a large part of the DMC fan base are spitting blood and want clarification on the matter of hair colour, I don't wish to give away any spoilers at this point."

We’ve also heard recently that DmC will take place across parallel worlds. What will this mean for the plot and gameplay? What freedom does this feature give you to explore characters and events from across the series?

TA: "There is a parallel world behind the real world, a demon dimension called Limbo superimposed over our human one. From here, the demons are instigating an invasion, controlling all parts of society behind the scenes.

Dante is able to go into Limbo and see the truth behind the illusion. He can see the wretched, malignant version of our own world and take on the demons."

And Bayonetta, the real heir the DMC throne, beat you to that as well. :colbert:

Combat is looking insanely deep, with tons of juggle and multi-weapon combos.What specific qualities did Capcom see in Ninja Theory that might have landed you the DmC job? Did you have to produce a proof of concept, or prototype to seal the deal?

TA: "I think one of the key factors that attracted Capcom to us was our experience in telling stories through games. They told us that they wanted to give Devil May Cry a refresh, a new lease of life and part of that was to give the series a more contemporary feel.

As a studio we have a real focus on narrative and a belief that you can create evermore immersive game experiences by pushing storytelling techniques. I also think our distinct art style was one of our attributes that Capcom could see fitting within the Devil May Cry franchise."

Bosses have always been such a huge part of Devil May Cry’s novelty. Can we get an insight into what you have done to ensure that these encounters will still in the mind?

AJ: "We’re taking traditional Devil May Cry boss fights and thinking about them in the context of Dante’s new abilities and our dynamic, surrealistic world.

By doing this we’ve come up with new ways to think about boss battles, particularly in terms of what tactics are needed to succeed in them. This has been a particularly deep area of collaboration with Capcom."

Overall, what or who would you say have been your biggest influences when creating DmC, and why? How did these inspirations help guide the project?

TA: "I’d actually say that the most powerful influence has come from the team at Capcom that we’ve been partnering with. Working with people like Hideaki Itsuno, Director of Devil May Cry 2, 3 and 4, has enabled us to tap into a real wealth of Devil May Cry knowledge and development experience, especially in combat.

On the story side, Alex Garland, who I worked with on Enslaved has really inspired me personally and has continued to mentor me through this game. On art, Alex Taini, our visual art director and Stuart Adcock our technical art director always inspire me with their bold vision."

It's already clear that DmC is another visual triumph for Ninja Theory.Motion capture has become Ninja Theory’s bread and butter. In what ways has Capcom encouraged you to explore that side of things again in DmC?

TA: "Performance capture is a technique that we really believe in and use to push the way we tell stories in our games. It’s the driving force behind the DmC narrative. By using our own techniques and technologies we’ve been able to take things a step further from Heavenly Sword and Enslaved.

We capture voice, face and body simultaneously, a technique we pioneered in gaming*. In addition, we are also capturing all on-set camera motion for a more realistic feel.

*( Umm... not really.)

This is also the first game I've written, cast and directed myself. If i do my job right, you should be seeing a story of Dante that breaks the myth that all videogame stories are trite and will never stand up to the best that theatre and film have to offer."

Excuse me for one moment...BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cont.

"We shot DmC at Giant Studios in LA, where Avatar was shot, using a lot of the Avatar crew and similar technology. As you say, utilising performance capture is something that we’ve become known for, so Capcom were of course keen that we used our expertise in this area for DmC. They pretty much let us get on with it."

I think it's a pretty mixed bag all in all. I'll say one thing though, if this thing is good, yay for us. If it bombs, it'll bomb hard, and the impact is going to be loving hilarious.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
You mean, their earth-shatteringly original storyline that will transcend all conventional notions of story narrative in games, and be hailed as one of the greatest works of our time, spoke of thousands of years from now by wandering prophets determined to spread forth the word of greatness from that epic tale. :smug:

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Also, I never played Enslaved but I thought people sort of liked it? Like the gameplay was more shallow than a DMC game but I seem to remember it being well-received on SA after it came out.

It's okay. Its worst crime is its mediocrity.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 19, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

As far as Ninja Theory's mo-cap goes, the work they did on Heavenly Sword is still very brilliant.

Didn't they get Andy Serkis on as a consultant at point? But yeah, visually, their stuff is fanatastic, but it's mostly been style over substence. As opposed to being Super Smoking Stylish and substantial.

[e]: Dante's reaction.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 19, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
A new trailer is up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXyNlwXQsU

It looks rather clunky IMO. Its also looks slow compared to both DMC 4 and Bayonetta.

Thoughts?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jetpack Postman posted:

No style meter in sight is also plenty worrisome; does anyone know if they're even keeping it?

Apparently, they are not fully removing it, it simply won't be on a HUD, and you'll be able to tell how well you're doing by how the background music changes.

Ha. Ha. Ha. H...a.....h........a.

I can see that working well [/sarcasm]

[e]: Yeah, I know I shouldn't be all gloom and doom about every new bit of info, I don't like feeling like that about these things, but.....
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 20, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Devil May Cry HD Collection release date announced for April 2012.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-20-devil-may-cry-hd-collection-release-date-announced

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
As long as it seems to play okay, I'll probably end up getting it, and like you said, just pretend it's a completely differnet IP, with some dude named...ur...Tony Redgrave or something.

I know story isn't really important in these games, but I wonder what parts of the regular DMC mythos they're going to draw from.

Is Sparda still present? Or Vergil? The use of Devil Arms? (Only Rebellion and the sythe/sword-whip have really been seen, as well as Ebony & Ivory).

The only things that seem to have been told about the story is that "It's set in a city named Limbo, which Demons run, while keeping the human population either oblivious or under observation. And Dante seems to be this lone rebel, with this as-of-yet unnamed chick or something. But he can fight them on their own turf by going into a purgatory world, where everything is against him."

Not to be confused with being set in a city named Vigrid, which Angels run, while keeping the human population either oblivious or under observation. And Bayonetta has this mysterious past, with this red-garbed chick or something. But she can fight them on their own turf by going into Purgatorio, where everything is against her.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Not news, but I had a look at Capcom's DMC Devil May Cry homepage. Using the power of Google translate, and trying to fathom what the information means, here is some of the profiles.

Dante - Half Angel/Demon

With his pistols, Ebony and Ivory, and trusty sword Rebellion, this youth hunts demons. "Dante create an aura of hard-boiled newborn" (Uh...he's tough and a punk?)

The City of Limbo

A mix of neo-Gothic buildings and modern architecture, Limbo's strange atmosphere is not only because of the architecture.
It's also the place of contact between the real world and "Makai" (a supernatural world where demons live in - a parallel world in the City of Limbo, just called "Limbo" or something).

There's something about the town dragging Dante into there because the demons target half Angels and Demons or something.

Stylish Action

Angel Power for Speed!

Slicing the enemy with a scythe-like sharp blade. Angel weapon power is used for speedy attacks. Use it near obstacles to change the weapon's form and demonstrate the various capabilities of it.

Yeah, so speed attacks, and possibly used for jumping puzzles and things.

Demon Power for Strength!

Crush the enemy with a weapon such as a heavy axe. The Demon power can pull enemies towards you using a grab move.
Heavy attacks basically.

Devil Trigger

Aerial combat is also one of the keywords in DMC. Use "Devil Trigger" and soar into the air and slash at the enemies around Dante.
In addition, the DT is reminiscent of Dante's traditional appearance, don't miss him wearing a crimson coat when he changes.

...gently caress you Capcom, don't remind us.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 22, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I think the heavily Gothic influence on the atmosphere can be attriubted to its Resident Evil heritage for DMC 1. It is interesting to see how the series made the transition from semi-Survival Horror to full on action, and I'm glad they changed it.

With survival horror, one of the key factors is often that the protagonist is a fairly average Joe, and has limited fighting capabilites (i.e limited ammo) often having to rely on sneaking past enemies and conserving ammo for the boss, and that sort of thing.

With DMC, Dante doesn't have to worry about saving ammo, and sneaking round enemies goes against the nature of the gameplay, and is impossible in most cases.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Spermando posted:

I know the gameplay has nothing in common, but the background art, the score, and the overall tone of the game take me back to games like Fatal Frame and Resident Evil. In the rest of the games the backgrounds are just generic and bland. It's things that wouldn't change the gameplay one bit, and its absence is something I can look past, but it definitely made DMC lose part of its appeal for me.

It probably as well that DMC1's story is rather more grim and serious (or rather, has more grim and serious moments) than the more light-hearted and campy 3 and 4 (2 doesn't count because christ knows what's going on with 2), but yeah, there's a heavy forboding atmosphere in 1 that isn't in the other games.

I'd agree with the backgrounds bit, aside from the stuff in the Demon Worlds, because, visually, they're often the most interesting things in the game. I'd say the music though has been consistantly good throughout the series, even 2's (though I couldn't remember a single theme from it) is okay, just unmemorable.

My favourite though is 3. For me, it has the best soundtrack, best battle system and most solid plot.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
An article/ interview with Tameem Antoniades.

Gaming Everything posted:

After the announcement of a reboot of the historical saga of Devil May Cry, millions of fans from around the globe have expressed their dissent energetically, wanting the arrival of a true sequel after three years of waiting.

But the reason for this strong, collective disapproval was bound to the choice made by Capcom to replace the old with a new Dante, whose aesthetic characterizations are far distant from the original nature of the brand.

So the gym white-haired demon hunter was replaced, without too much fuss, by a slim teen with “emo” clothing, according to the development team Ninja Theory, they were trying to get closer to the social and cultural backgrounds of young people of today .

A younger character is not the only news of DmC, because from what we saw, the game features many new products in terms of both combat mechanics and navigation… and we’re talking about very positive changes .

Above all, the battles have a dynamicism that already, at this stage of development, are spectacular and can enhance the character as only a certain Son of Sparda was able to do (f*ck God of War)[sic]. In an attempt to discover some extra details of DmC we interviewed Tameem Antoniades, the lead developer of the project DMC Ninja Theory.

--

First of all, can we say whether this is a new and a younger Dante of previous chapters, or a Dante from a parallel dimension?

Antoniades: DmC is a new beginning for Devil May Cry. While not completely adhering to the canons of the original series, it draws inspiration from them(?). DmC’s narrative explores the youth of Dante, in a period of his life where he’s still not comfortable with the powers that derive from his status as a hybrid between angel and devil.

Yep. Still making GBS threads on Eva.

quote:

CONT.

In the trailers we see Dante with the white hair and red jacket, looks more close to that of past games? And that’s his equivalent of the demonic form present in the past chapters?

A: The one you refer to is the new Devil Trigger where he lets his demonic soul escape. This changes the look and feel of Dante, but also has an impact on gameplay. When Devil Trigger is activated, his strength and speed increase and all the demons that are hit at this stage will be raised from the ground, falling more slowly. You can continue to attack in midair and more time will be able to keep them suspended and inflict the most damage, while prolonging the duration of the Devil Trigger. Its a true test of skill.

This has already been covered.

quote:

In the trailer we see the city changing before Dante’s eyes.

A : The city fights to stop the passage of Dante, the game environments come to life, thus changing and writhing as if alive. The challenge of DMC will not be only against the enemy demons, but also in crossing levels in the most spectacular way possible. The city breaks down and writhes … often you will be asked to jump and put your skills to the test (I don’t know what they mean by “le parkour”)[sic]. The grappel will be needed in order to survive in certain situations. Not only battles, but a little platforming!

Well, we guessed as much.

quote:

How important will be the exploration phase of the levels in DMC? Can we expect a lot during the “climbing” and jump like in Uncharted?

A : DMC is set in a surreal world, alive and dynamic, steeped in an ancient evil that wants to kill Dante. We call it Malice. In a world willing to do everything to stop you, the acrobatic ability of the player will have a decisive role in overcoming the obstacles that block your path. Dante’s abilities will open new ways to explore the environment. For example, you can use his angelic powers for grabbing with a chain to get to otherwise inaccessible areas, or hop quickly to landslide rubble on a house below(?) him. In Dante’s demonic form, PUD to manipulate the world around you, dragging and dropping elements to create new roads.

There will be puzzles to solve?
A : Yes, but the real focus of DmC are fighting and surviving the perils of the environment.

They seem to be pushing platforming as their biggest asset rather than the fighting...in a game series where the focus is on fighting first, and everything else, second.

quote:

Can you tell us something about the system enhancement of Dante and his weapons?

A : At first Dante will have very few skills but in the course of the game you will be able to increase the number of attacks and collect a large arsenal of weapons. You will again spend red orbs that you find throughout the game in one of the “shops”.

This is better news - more weapons and red orbs.

quote:

Will there be some cosmetic changes that emphasize the strengthening of Dante? Maybe showing more demonic traits?

A : At the moment I do not want to reveal anything about this.

So we take that as a yes! Coming back to the fighting, will it be like the past (ie, focused on long sequences of keys) or will it follow the current fashion of simplifying gameplay (ie, using a single button to do anything)?

A : DmC’scombat will be fast, fluid, technical, and most importantly, fun! It will be a very deep system with many moves that are “down to earth” that “fly” and can be linked together for very long combos. Dante will have three forms (human, angel and devil) and each will have unique weapons and a different style of fighting. You can change shape at any moment, even during a combo. This opens up an infinite number of combinations of possible attack, leaving great room for creativity of the players.

If it ends up looking anything like what has been shown in the WIP fight trailer, then you're talking out your arse.

This is promising though.

quote:

The environments are visually spectacular! Where do you draw inspiration for the creation of cities and gigantic end bosses?

A: For the way in which Malice deforms, Our Director and Technician of Art, Stuart Adcock, has studied movies of objects imploding because of pressure, like a can of oil that suddenly collapses on itself. We also took inspiration from time-lapse movies (the ones where you shoot one frame at a later date) that give an eerie animation style. From the graphical point of view, our Visual Art Director Alessandro Taini took inspiration from some surreal, dreamlike combinations from neo-Gothic Europe. The buildings that you see are taken from English cities, like Barcelona [sic - what the gently caress? :psyduck:] and, of course, the hometown of that Alesandro and Genoa. As for the Bosses, we don’t want to reveal anything.

Will DmC’s narrative have a more important role?

A: Yes, absolutely! DmC will tell of Dante as a teenager who discovers his purpose in life and learns to use his powers. I can’t tell you more than this, or I’ll ruin the surprise.

So a rehash of DMC3 then? Except, with a blander, watered-down Dante?

quote:

The Dante that we have seen in the last trailer is a little different from the one in the official announcement of the game. You have made changes as a result of comments received on the web?

A: Well, it’s quite normal for the design of a character to change during the production, so we do not want make too many changes made on the conspiracy of DmC since it was first presented.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Bullshit. You changed it because the backlash was that bad.

Even the magazine doing the interview thinks it's bullshit.

quote:

With this sentence ends our interview with Tameem Antoniades … and despite what he has said (or perhaps because of what he told us), it reinforces in us the idea that some changes are due to fans’ reactions.

Capcom knows to pay close attention to feedback from the web (since the birth of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is due to a mobilization of their own fans online) and after the disasterous sales like Bionic Commando, you suppose that they want to have more say in which developers are working on their brands. Besides, when you want to innovate when its statistically impossible to please everyone, especially the faithful supporters of long standing franchise, it can be hard (drat nostalgia).

Our advice however is to forget the past and begin to see this title with different eyes, because otherwise you could make the mistake of underestimating one of the most interesting games of 2012

Source:http://gamingeverything.com/13305/new-dmc-scans-and-details/

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monkey Fracas posted:

This worries me. Also, remember how in Heavenly Sword you could switch between "fast", "strong" and "balanced" modes of combat? Hmmm... == "angel", "devil" and "human"? Don't give me another reason to dislike you, Antoniades.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Angel Power for Speed!

Slicing the enemy with a scythe-like sharp blade. Angel weapon power is used for speedy attacks. Use it near obstacles to change the weapon's form and demonstrate the various capabilities of it.

Yeah, so speed attacks, and possibly used for jumping puzzles and things.

Demon Power for Strength!

Crush the enemy with a weapon such as a heavy axe. The Demon power can pull enemies towards you using a grab move.
Heavy attacks basically.

Human's probably going to be the guns or something. I wish there was more information at the moment.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monkey Fracas posted:

You'd think they would release a trailer really detailing the combat- isn't the release less than a year away (probably)?

Most websites say it's probably going to be released sometime this year.

If I had estimate a time, I'd say late fall, at the earliest. Depending on what they have left to do, it could very well be for Winter 2012. Assuming of course, that they don't push it back to the next year or whatever.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I don't get why they seem to be making out this weapon changing system as innovative, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that one of the main innovations that DMC3 brought to the table?

Also, making a statement about competing with Bayonetta on various parts, is a really, really dumb move; it just makes people compare this game on that level then. And even with what they're promising, and what we've seen, I don't think that they can achieve that level.

It's bad enough that we're comparing it to the rest of the DMC games, let alone Bayonetta.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Apparently Ninja Theory Are recieving death threats over DmC.

quote:

It seems some gamers really, really don't like Dante's look in DmC, the upcoming reboot of Devil May Cry. Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades revealed in a new interview that the studio received death threats over the game.

Antoniades told OXM UK:

"So I was half prepared for it, although I have to say that it has been pretty eye opening to see some of the creative ways in which people have chosen to vent their hatred. We didn't expect death threats in comic book form or anti-DmC death metal songs!"

It's one thing bitching about a game, and the choices made for it, but death threats to the people working on it? Urgh, idiotic zealotry! :psyduck:

quote:

While it's disturbing that someone would actually threaten the lives of video game developers, I'm very curious about these "death threats in comic book form" and "anti-DMC death metal songs." Ninja Theory should bundle them with a Collector's Edition or something.

Sources: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Devil-May-Cry-Reboot-Studio-Received-Death-Threats-38384.html
http://www.oxm.co.uk/37409/ninja-theory-has-received-death-threats-over-devil-may-cry-reboot/

In that same interview, they seem to hint that character redesign was something of a marketing ploy, without actually saying it.

quote:

"Though I must say, lots of people have come and said that they are now interested in DmC whereas they had previously lost interest in the series. We'll see how this plays out."

I'm torn as to whether this is the greatest marketing ever (there's no such thing as bad publicity), or the worst marketing ever (people are going to hate this from the start).

It also says that there will be more info released soon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Interested in the sense of "what the gently caress are you doing to Dante" :stare:, rather than "Oh cool a new DMC!" :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Minor info from Official Xbox Magazine:

quote:

Playing as the son of the legendary devil, Sparda, DMC's story has always been a guilty pleasure. Creating the angst of an unrefined devil-bastard without resorting to cliche is a task few developers could handle.

Having seen [Ninja Theory]'s subtlety with Enslaved, we're confident it isn't going to fluff it, and it's using the same performance capture smarts (recorded at the Hollywood studio used by [James Cameron's] Avatar) it brought to its previous game.

Why are they bringing angst to perhaps one of the least angsty characters in games? Sake of drama perhaps?

The article continues:

quote:

"If we do out jobs right, the story and character performances should be strong enough to hold up to CG movies, never mind video games" says Antoniades.

The studio's flair for story and art is what attracted Capcom in the first place, although Antoniades is keen to stress the combat remains crucial.
The team is collaborating with series veteran Hideaki Itsuno and has gained "alot of insider knowledge" on the intricacies of Capcom's combat system.

"Technical, fluid combat with depth is one of the key pillars of the DMC series, and as such is right at the top of our list of priorities", he continues.

Despite being given access to information regarding "Capcom's combat system", it appears that they're still sticking with 30FPS, but:

quote:

A speedy framerate is all important to Dante, and it's "something we're determined to achieve." says Antoniades, "however, having said that, we're doing things with the visuals and a dynamic world in DmC: Devil May Cry that haven't been done in any DMC before."

Ninja Theory is doing input analyisis using in-house tech to make Dante as responsive as possible.

Meaningful meaningless words. Views?

[e]: Likewise, considering how important this "plot" is, they sure haven't said alot of things about it. It took them long enough to reveal that this takes place as like an alternative universe type place, rather than being part of the "regular" canon.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 9, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Touche. Except I'd argue that "Fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiigggghhhhhttt!" is more melodrama than angst. :colbert:

I know, I know, that's not the point you were making, but it still frustrates me that they go out of their way to mention it, and I'm finding it hard to try to disconnect this Dante, from the regular Dante. :sigh:

"Ninja Theory presents: DmC: Debbie makes Cakes - Play as Debbie, a half-demon, half-angel and use your devil-slaying powers to free Limbo from..."

Is it Nero's playstyle you aren't liking?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
More info from OXM:

quote:

Ninja Theory’s Tameem Antoniades has once again tried to calm fan concerns, saying that the new game will still respect core elements of the series and doesn’t change anything important just for the sake of change.

"There is of course an expectation from the fans, which is something that has always been firmly in the minds of both ourselves and Capcom. The Devil May Cry franchise is well established and much loved, so we want to keep the essence of what makes the series unique,” Antoniades told OXM.

"But DmC is a re-birth, so we've been able to explore Dante's early years in the narrative, meaning that if you're entirely new to the series you won't start the game with a disadvantage or feeling that you need to catch up with the story of the previous games first.

While Ninja Theory has tried to innovate wherever it could, areas like combat will remain just as fans remember them, according to the developer.

"There is a lot of innovation in the game, but where we're dealing with key areas of the Devil May Cry DNA, such as the combat, we've been particularly careful to ensure that innovative features sit hand in hand with the core elements that we're looking to preserve."

"if you're entirely new to the series you won't start the game with a disadvantage or feeling that you need to catch up with the story of the previous games first."

I honestly don't think the stories are that complicated enough to make people catch up to them. Hell, there's a recap at the very begining of 1, 2 and 3, and a five minute video on 4 on the whole plots of the previous games.

This also confirms that this a complete reboot at least, seperate from the others. About drat time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Another article, this time about the use of mo-cap:

quote:

A Cambridge video games developer has shot a new blockbuster in the same LA studios and using many of the same crew that James Cameron used for Avatar – the highest grossing movie of all time.

Ninja Theory Ltd, which is producing the new game in the Devil May Cry series for Japanese giant Capcom, is confident some of Avatar’s stardust will rub off on the new DmC production.
And the Cambridge UK company reckons its cutting edge performance capture technology will become the gold standard for video game production well into the future.

The technique enables Ninja Theory to capture actors’ face movements, body movements and voice all at the same time – which is unique within video games.

“We do this to ensure that we’re bringing the true performances of our actors through into the game,” said Ninja’s Dominic Matthews.

“It’s not so much about realism but believability. Real actors – real people – move their hands and their body when they speak. We track the exact movement of our actors. We have 60 markers on their faces alone – on their eyes, their eyebrows, their mouths, their noses, their lips and so on.

“We are fortunate to have developed our own facial solver technology in house that allows us to track these movements and map them onto our models. Our technology is unique and something that we’ve been working on for several years, so we are ahead of the market in this regard.

“A hallmark of our games is the story-telling element. We want our users to become engrossed in a story; so we are not simply using the technology for technology’s sake. It really enriches the user experience and they become fully engaged.

“It was invigorating to shoot the scenes for the game in the same place as the Avatar shoot, using the same studios and much of the same crew.”

James Cameron saw the potential of performance capture when, following a visit to Ninja Theory shooting scenes for the visually stunning Heavenly Sword on location in New Zealand, Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Rings, showed him some of Ninja Theory’s tracking technology. Matthews, however, is swift to point out: “I don’t think we can claim any credit for inspiring Avatar.

“What is true is that on projects like these you get to work with people who really know what they are doing. It’s a great buzz to have people who worked on Avatar work on DmC. They bring a cinematic perspective to what you are trying to do.”

The new Devil May Cry will come out later this year. The first four games in the series were all produced by Capcom, headquartered in Osaka but globally influential. Ninja Theory has been hired to produce the new game for the global market.

Source: http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/hi-tech/13357-avatar-crew-on-ninja-theorys-la-video-game-shoot

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toasterwarrior posted:

Speaking of Ninja Theory and Enslaved, didn't its DLC get some surprisingly positive reception?

Yeah, apparently it was quite highly praised. The story and visuals for Enslaved were really highly praised.

And to be fair to Ninja Theory, yeah. The visuals are stunning and the characters are very likable, well-rounded and well voiced.

It was just the clunky controls and combat, added with non-threatening platforming that were criticised.

And as people said earlier in the thread, there also seems to be a slight delay between clicking the button and having Monkey reacting. The worst for me was trying to dodge - I saw the attack coming, clicked the dodge buttons, and then he gets hit, because he didn't move his lumbering (but very well-rendered) rear end quick enough.

And the combat mostly consists of
1) Use Light Attack.
2) Use Strong Attack.

Or if the enemy had a shield.

3) Charge Light Attack (then spam the attack buttons).

In say, Bayonetta, the millisecond you click the button, she reacts, and trying to do it with Enslaved, really throws off the timing.

What was Heavenly Sword like in general? I've heard (yet again) that it had a good story, visuals and characters, but what was the gameplay like?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I lack a PS3 unfortunately, and they didn't seem to bring it out on Xbox. Shame really, I'd have liked to have tried it.

I like Enslaved, but its one of those things where it feels they were trying to make more of a "visual experience", than they were a "game".

[E]: Monkey also coundn't cancel out of his taunt animation, which was annoying. At one point you face an enemy which you have to get to charge at you by taunting, but by the time Monkey's finished taunting, it's too late to roll out of the way and the enemy rams into you.

If they could have fixed up the combat sections, this would have been recieved alot better I think.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 12, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
IGN has an article up on DMC:

It's a bit too much :fap: at times, but it does make "some" good points. Mostly about the visuals and story and-okay, I can't do this. He's talking out his arse. There's also too much talk about the story and enviroments, rather than the combat, aside from the fact that it will have air combos. It also, unfairly, fails to mention one of the reasons people are so wary of Ninja Theory with this, is because the combat in the other games sucked rear end.

IGN posted:

Capcom's Devil May Cry series is one of the most beloved Japanese action franchises ever made. Its smooth, action-packed gameplay and incredible sense of style are just two of the many reasons it has such a large and loyal fan base, but perhaps its biggest weapon is Dante. The series' iconic white-haired lead is playful, ridiculously cool and a bad-rear end fighting machine. In short, he's an icon.

So when Capcom went to TGS 2010 and unveiled a westernised, Ninja Theory-developed reboot of Devil May Cry, complete with a dark-haired, punk rock redesign of Dante, fans of the series went ballistic. Fanboys May Cry might have been a more suitable name for the reboot. This was apparently just too much of a departure.

"He is nowhere near shirtless enough for my liking."
But viewed dispassionately, a Devil May Cry reboot is far from a bad idea, and if any developer can pull it off, we think it's Ninja Theory. Here are some of the reasons we believe that the change of developer and approach will breathe some fresh life into the series.

A More Cinematic Story
The area where DmC stands to benefit the most from Ninja Theory's involvement is story and character. Both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were extraordinary in these departments, and by taking the DmC franchise and focusing on relationships and emotive performances over the convoluted otaku-style plots of some of the previous games, we will hopefully get something with wider appeal that will make us more invested. Previous games in the series have always been more about style over substance, so hopefully this reboot will find an equal balance of both.

Vibrant and beautiful.
Furthermore, using techniques picked up from working closely with actor-extraordinaire and performance capture expert Andy Serkis, Ninja Theory has become one of the industry's leaders in emotive character performances. Serkis brought the knowledge he gained from creating such incredible performance capture-driven characters as Gollum in The Lord of the Rings trilogy to Ninja Theory, and in turn the developer delivered some amazing results. Stories anchored in believable characters have driven both their previous titles, and from what we've seen of DmC so far, Ninja Theory seems to be applying what it learned from Serkis to this new title too.

A More Modern Approach to Gameplay
The gameplay in Devil May Cry has always been excellent, but it has also suffered a little from its adherence to old school Japanese gaming tropes. Japanese developers and publishers have been trying to modernise their output this generation - and catch up to western devs - and this is precisely why Capcom has brought U.K. developer Ninja Theory on board for the latest instalment.

In past outings, for instance, different areas have felt oddly disconnected. A new doorway usually meant that the screen would fade away and you would appear in a completely different area. While this is certainly part of the Devil May Cry tradition, I would like to see a bit more cohesion in the game's world. There should be an uninterrupted flow from one area to the next. This kind of thing has become a standard for the genre, with games like God of War and Darksiders showing us just how much more effective exploration can be when it doesn't feel like you're warping to a new area. It's a lot more confusing to try and follow the progression of the game through a bunch of disconnected, labyrinthine rooms if you aren't processing your journey in real-time. DmC looks to address this.

Dante's bubble-maker was hardcore.
Battle arenas are also given a little more context. Previous titles had Dante (or Nero, the lead character of Devil May Cry 4) running into an area and triggering a cut scene, bringing up a force field and enemies that spawn into existence before you. While this does still happen in the new DmC, Ninja Theory has introduced an idea that makes this feel more organic. Limbo City has a demon dimension – a living force that that is trying to break through into the real world and actually transforms the city and makes it attack and hinder Dante.

"We wanted to find a reason why the walls would close in and trap you like the classic DmC's do," said creative director Tameem Antoniades to the US PlayStation Blog. "Not only does it trap you, but it spawns enemies like they were blood cells," he continued. "It's like a malignant cancer; it bleeds." It's this kind of approach that makes us think that Ninja Theory wants everything in DmC to occur in a more seamless way.

Sometimes A Big Gamble Pays Off
Regardless of how the different games in the series have scored critically, it seems as though the majority of Devil May Cry's fans consider the first game to be best. Satisfying the hardcore fans, in other words, is easier said than done.

Capcom took a crack at it, however. Devil May Cry 4 was quite a departure for the series, as most of the game was spent playing as Nero, another slick, white-haired sword and gun-wielder. While he looked similar, his gameplay approach was quite different. His sword was motor-powered and required powering up for devastating attacks, and his arm - the 'Devil Bringer' - was a glowing destructive force of its own.

Air combos are a big focus in DmC.
This was clearly Capcom's attempt to try and freshen up the series before it became stale. It's gone one step further with DmC though, handing the series over to a western developer to completely re-interpret it. While this will surely upset some of the fans, the fact that the publisher would rather do something exciting and new that might surprise a lot of people than just go through the motions is telling. Imagine if Warner Bros. hadn't handed Batman over to Christopher Nolan?

An Origin Story
Speaking of Batman, there are actually some parallels that can be made between DmC and Batman Begins. Both are origin stories, meaning that there is room for creative license and free-reign, so long as this story doesn't completely re-write later events we've all come to know and love.

Even so, fans were in an uproar after their first look at Ninja Theory's younger, punk Dante. He's got dark hair! He's locked-up! He's smoking! He's got too much attitude! Yes, he does indeed have all of those things, but who cares? This is his untold origin story. So he's a rebellious youth - it doesn't really make that much difference to who he will become. Quite the opposite, as seeing his brawler-style fighting gives us some insight into his character and how he learned to fight on the street.

This young man will become a legend. [Really?]
Let's go back to Bruce Wayne. His origin story in Batman Begins has him scrapping in an unrefined style with fellow convicts while in prison. It also shows him plotting to murder the man that killed his parents. This couldn't be further from the Bruce Wayne we grew up loving, yet everything he went through is what ultimately made him a hero. Why would Dante's journey be any different?

A Unified Vision and Style
Once again, I'd like to stress that Devil May Cry games are very stylish and pretty, but one thing that I think Ninja Theory will improve on is the overall style and look of the DmC world. Something about a slick, modern, anime-esque character, walking around environments that look like The Vatican while fighting court-jester-style demons has always clashed for me.

Everything that we've seen from Ninja Theory's take on the franchise shows the developer completely embracing the artistic sensibility that has garnered it such respect in the industry, and applying it to this world in a way that brings a more unified artistic direction to the game. Anyone that has played Enslaved knows that its environments were absolutely stunning, and DmC seems to take it to the next level. Environments and buildings pop with a vibrant urgency that matches the look of the characters and enemies on screen. We can't wait to see all of the different environments in this game.

Hideaki Itsuno is Still Onboard as Co-Director
Fans may have the wrong idea about this reboot. The series hasn't just been handed over in its entirety for Ninja Theory to do as they please - Hideaki Itsuno, director of every Devil May Cry game since part two, is in fact working alongside Tameem Antoniades, creative director at Ninja Theory. This is a team effort.So while this may be a stylistic departure in every sense of the word, you can rest assured that it will still be a Devil May Cry game from within its very core.

Source: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216590p1.html

[e]: I wish I could get paid for it.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 16, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
"Amy is Ico With Zombies and It's Totally Brilliant"-IGN's E3 2011 Preview of Amy

"Horrifyingly bad - 2.0." IGN's 2012 Review.
Hahaha.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 16, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
Nah, I just wanna look underneath her wireframe. Ohhh yeahhh. :dance:

Schubalts posted:

Or make the scythe turn into an electric guitar and also shoot lightning bats (or lightning cupid-style cherubs).

O'come on. That's just too ridiculous. Nobody wants to see that nowdays. :colbert:

You see, modern audiences have evolved beyond such base desires. And it's only in PS2 graphics. Urgh! You can almost count the pixels.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 16, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Exmond posted:

To me Dante is angsty. They just never went over the top with it, maybe resentful would be a better word. Check out the DMC3,DMC1, the manga, the animated tv series...

To me, angst implies moping and dispossession. He's pretty grim at times, certainly nostalgic when it comes to his mother and his brother, and angry when he compares Trish to his mother (as well as getting really pissed off with Mundus). He certainly got a playful streak to him, and likes the thrill of the fight. The only real resentment comes when its to do with his father.

DMC3 he's not angsty, DMC1 he's not angsty, DMC4 he's not angsty, DMC2 yeah, probably. It's hard to tell with that one. And I'm gonna assume you're talking about the DMC3 manga, it's been such a long time since I've read it I couldn't say, and I've only watched 1 of the animated series so I can't really say.

[e]:I'll be sure to avoid it then.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 16, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

temple posted:

I disagree. Angst is better defined as an immature frustration and the devil may care attitude is a typical manifestation of that. Its in the game's name. The new Dante is a familiar Western interpretation of that. I think that's why people recognize it so well.

We are talking about the same definiton of angst right? And the same Dante? 'cause I'm talking about white-haired Dante. :confused:

Angst:
"A feeling of anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression."
"A feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity."

Obviously it's only my interpretation of the character, but I don't think he's anxious, apprehensive, depressed or insecure. He's brooding in DMC1, but I wouldn't say that's the same thing.

[e]: I dunno, he's never come across that way to me, like his using his rebellious attitude to hide something, but that's just my opinion. I can't deny however, that he has issues with his dad, and sibling.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 17, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I arise once more from the underworld to fill your dark souls with light apathy.

quote:

DmC will have 'US and European flavour' [duh]

Ninja Theory, the developer of Heavenly Sword, Enslaved and Capcom's Devil May Cry reboot, has said the team isn't pretending the game's Japanese-focused and won't apologise for it.

Speaking in an interview with OXM (which you can read in full in issue 82 of the magazine), creative director Tameem Antoniades and Capcom's Alex Jones reflected on the backlash from fans regarding the redesigned version of Dante.

According to Antoniades the furore is the result of different expectations surrounding Western games. Jones elaborated by pointing out a distinction between the way characters are designed in Japan and in the west.

Some players have taken issue with Dante's perceived "camper" look, but this has more to do with different expectations surrounding Western games, Antoniades argued. "Somehow Japanese character styles get away with it," he said, when we asked whether players found camp leads from Japanese devs easier to swallow.

"Japanese style ethos does tend to involve making characters look cool for the sake of looking cool, adding odd accessories, crazy hairstyles and colour, cowboy boots and so on simply because they look cool.

"We in the West tend to be more functional adding things that have meaning and being able to explain that meaning. Why does Dante have white hair? I want to make a little story around that and explain it. And so on for the rest of his design choices."

Antoniades went on to explain the jumping off point for the design of Dante and DmC as a whole.

"We did a thought experiment [suggested by former Capcom exec Keiji Inafune] early on. It went like this: imagine this game as a contemporary movie. What would it look like? What would Dante look like? We went from there."

While the more Japanese aspects of the game haven't been completely ditched, the title will have more of a western flavour, owing to the Ninja Theory's influences.

"We've not so much done away with any of the Japanese aspects of the series," Antoniades continued "But are more building on the foundations of the franchise to develop a game that has a different flavour. We grew up on US and European movies, comics, music and general culture. That's what we're tapping into. We're not pretending we are Japanese nor making apologies for that."

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/333510/dmc-will-have-us-and-european-flavour/

This seems to be a recurring trend that Japanese game developers seem to be going through - "it's not doing so well over here, the problem is that it's too oriental, we need this to be more occidental! Quick! Get a western developer on the phone!" rather than examining why their games aren't selling like they're used too.

I also like the implication that the reasoning behind New-Coke Dante's rather more bland look, is simply because regular Dante dresses only for the rule of cool. It's also completely hypocritical judging by the designs of the enemies and characters in their other games *coughMonkeyandNarikocough*.

I'm not sure if the cowboy boots is a slight dig at 4, but it's probably me trying to read into it too much.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 26, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Alteisen posted:

Except that DMC4 was the best selling Devil May Cry game of them all, so the franchise still is still doing fine. Well was anyway.

Evidently, it didn't sell enough for Capcom. Though I'd say 2 million copies isn't something to be sniffed at.

[e]:My mistake if it is that then.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Alteisen posted:

And Bayonetta is the bar most of those games will be compared to now, thus far nothing I've seen of this re-design looks even remotely close to the speed and control that game offered.

To be fair to them, only WIP videos have been released at this time, so it could change. I doubt it though, and have the same opinion as you.

DMC1 started the genre, Bayonetta perfected it. DmC will probably be a step backwards more than forwards, despite how agressively it's "story" and visuals are being marketed.

• Locked thread