Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

CTRL+F 'gently caress', 35 results.

This seems to be the right place. Also, gently caress YOU! Can I work at Ninja Theory now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Has this been posted yet? Didn't see it. Y'all should take a look.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ublisher-claims

You can't make this up. It's amazing. Make sure to check out the hilarious comments.

If you're too lazy or busy, here's the basics...

quote:

“During the course of the development of Dragon's Dogma we did a lot of experimentation and happened upon some techniques for working with Unreal Engine, some fairly elaborate techniques, that allow for a controller responsiveness that gives the player the feel of 60 frames per second,” Itsuno told Eurogamer.

“So even though you have it running at 30 frames per second, you create the motions and the poses in such a way that the brain will naturally fill in what would have been the extra frames.

“Also, on the players' side, we made some adjustments to the button response and when it's reflected on screen.”

But why go for 30 frames instead of 60 in the first place?

According to Itsuno, this decision was taken to give Ninja Theory the opportunity to create “the best visual style they were looking for”.

Itsuno said action games that run at 60 frames per second can have a tiring effect on players' eyes after a long time because the frames themselves “almost shake or flash”. Because of this, “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

People seem to like difficulty.
See : Dark Souls.

I think they are expecting the game to have an incredibly wide appeal and designing it on that matter.
"Wide Appeal" means it won't do anything right. Casual players will hate it because it's forgettable and fans will hate it because...well, because of everything it is and isn't. Plus a lot of assholes (especially in the gaming "media") bitched about it's (Dark Souls) difficulty because the idea that certain games appeal to certain people is too fuckin' hard to grasp. So yeah. I can't wait for niche games to be created for niche gamers again. I hate to act this snobby but it's true. Everything goes to poo poo when the mainstream gets involved.

I feel this article explains it better than I could.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Says-Dead-Space-3-Has-Sell-5-Million-Survive-43629.html

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 5, 2012

• Locked thread