Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Surprisingly she isn't a red head, considering they have a strong thing for that in all their loving games.

And we all know what happened the last time a DMC game had a drat red head in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Schubalts posted:

It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

drat, that's uh, that's some bad design right there. Did they ever say why they took that many steps backward from Ninja Gaiden 2?

Because the main man is gone. It maybe hyperbolic, but I think Itagaki was the one who kept that team from doing stupid mistakes. I mean look at what happened when he left, Other M and then THIS.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm really starting to get worried. Perhaps it's a bit too early but I"m not liking this whole emphasis on humanize crap in these action games. First Ninja Gaiden, now DMC? Get your humanize crap out of my drat cheesy action games. Not everything has to be loving hollywood.

Sigh, guess I can look forward to Revegenance. Doubt there will be a Bayonetta 2. I was a naysayer from the beginning, but christ I hate being right.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Did they really just say that? HOW could you come to that conclusion at all? CRYING out loud they couldn't emulate a goddamn god of war copy and somehow they are good at melee?

What the hell Capcom.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I"m looking at it, and I still question. Why no lock? Yeah a big boss like the one they are showing, it's not a problem. What about the individual enemies, are they really going to force me to auto lock in a action game when half the time auto lock on is horrible?!

Like why? I mean the art style looks decent, yet they completely gently caress it up.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously, I mean it's the internet. People will judge the poo poo out of you with every little thing you say. I do understand some of the backlash was not fair, but they just kept adding fuel to the fire by saying those things you quoted. I mean this had the potential to be at least good, but right now it looks like they are walking into a rabid tiger pit the direction this is going.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

bloodysabbath posted:

Itagaki might not have "solved" the so-called "problem" of Tecmo games having well endowed female characters, but the difference is that Itagaki is basically the Ronnie James Dio of game design and, for all his rockstar diva bullshit and mental patient ramblings and fixation on tits, the man does not disappoint, ever.

The fact that Devil's Third may never come out because THQ made a few really awful, casual-oriented business decisions is an affront to God.

The core vs. casual divide thing might be a bit overplayed sometimes, but for at least one company, a flopped bid at "casual" players and "brand expansion*" is literally preventing us from playing the next Itagaki masterpiece.

* How could anyone smart enough to rise to upper management at THQ seriously believe that Red Faction is a universe that could have become some sort of cross-medium sci-fi staple? Nobody gave half a poo poo about the story in those games.

OH definitely, I cringed at what Itagaki made in portraying women, but the dude knew how to make games challenging. As you said, he's a goddamn diva but GODDAMN does he know how to back up his talk.

All you can do is applaud the man.

I still miss him. :(. NG3 is basically the product of what happens when you cut the main guy off, they have a lot of influence on what they do. Just like how dMc isn't done by one of the guys. Sure it does have some influence by the DMC4 guys but how come none of them went HEY keep lock on stupid. I get that they wanted to do something different, but at least keep the core around. A game can still be different in the mechanics that made the game fun and great were around.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Pesky Splinter posted:

Speaking of DMC3 Vergil, I did like that he wasn't just a reskin with Dante's same moveset. They did enough to make him feel different, I think. And he's even got a slightly different moveset when in his Nero Angelo form, too.

Slightly disappointing that the only two new scenes with him, was his intro scene, and that they just gave him the same levels as Dante, but it's a nice bonus, all the same.

The fact that he isn't a reskin is a feat of itself. Normally bonuses tend to be lazy. The only other game I can think of that does the same is Maverick Hunter x when you unlock Vile.

Vile plays nothing like X. At all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Especially the whole acclaimed success that Ninja Theory apparently has. Last time I checked Heavenly Sword didn't sell very well with what sony was expecting from them. Enslaved did, but I saw the gameplay and it looked like poo poo.

If they couldn't copy God of War right, what makes me think they can handle DMC right. So far it's not looking like they can.

So yeah I do hope they fail.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Pesky Splinter posted:

Heavenly Sword sold okay-ish for a new IP - 1.5 Million units

You're wrong about Enslaved - it bombed - it didn't even make the 500 thousand mark. It would have needed to triple that for it to have even been considered a minor success. It plays like clunky rear end though. It's pretty, but very shallow.

Whoops guess I got it mixed up with some other title. But yeah I know it played like crap because the mo cap game animations were a disaster. Mo cap is good when you know how to implement it. Mo cap bad is when you get Madden (04 days) and Enslaved.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The Vergil trailer looks promising. Why the hell can't they do that to Dante? Best way to shut me up about being negative about a game is show the sick combos/gameplay. Virgil's combos look slick, Dante looks sloppy intentional or not.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not even a candle.

Good lord I was expecting it to be bad and it satisfied all of my expectations. It literally is Heavenly blade with a jump button and ranged attacks.

VVV It was to make this game more mature and character driven

Done. The fact somebody brought up that comparison just made me say Done.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Depending which you meant

We talking DMC3/DMC4?

or we talking DMC?

Remember Devil May Cry was much more different the DMC3 and 4. It was still a kick rear end game though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

SurrealityCheck posted:

I have to say I never really liked the way Royal Guard worked. Getting meter for blocks never seemed to be super fun.

That is not how it worked. It had two functions. If you want to be defensive? Yeah you can, block is actually pretty good at reducing damage.

If you want to be super aggressive and punish your enemies? Parry.

You can basically one hit a boss with a full parry bar(or Royal Guard as they call it) Hell I think there is a YT video of someone one shooting Beowulf with the Royal Guard release.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahaha I forgot how unforgiving DMC can be sometimes. Just watching AN's compilation of her failure in DMC pretty much sums up my experience with the game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
AS if there was anything exciting for DMC. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
He's a bit more toned down in 4 but I can still hear him. There have been scenes I do have to turn it up because the music is louder than his voice.

edit: Yeah that Lucifer scene basically drowned him the gently caress out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hidekyi Kamiya being back on Devil May Cry would be too much of a wish to come true.

After what Bayonetta did, I would be really curious to what Kamiya would do to Dante this time around. :allears:

I am assuming though Platinum probably has bad blood with Capcom, considering it was Capcom who closed Clover Studio which had two former Capcom guys aka Kamiya and Mikami.

(Though Mikami now left Platinum)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 16, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh definitely, I mean I didn't know that Kamiya was ok with it. We know how much of a straight shooter he is. Hell didn't he say he hated the Wii U cover for Bayo 2? I think he even called it a piece of poo poo.

Regardless, the possibility not being super slim is nice.

GET on it Capcom goddamn it.

And yes I point fingers at anyone who didn't buy Viewitful Joe or God Hand.

I blame IGN. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't remember a lot about Ninja Gaiden Sigma other than I hated most of the bosses for being giant monsters that were boring to fight. I have Black now so I should probably replay it, but I dunno.

Black is infinitely better than Sigma. Yeah Sigma had too much BIG BOSS enemies and they weren't that great. Also another weird thing I didn't like about Sigma, and this is more of a aesthetic choice, is how everything wasn't gushing out blood. It was purple mist or something.

It made Sigma 2's cutscenes look really weird seeing Ryu chop someone down and no blood. Like the slapped a E or T rating on the game.

And holy poo poo is NG not a combo based game. You do that and you'll just end up being slapped around like the first tutorial boss shows you. Hell I think that tutorial boss grabs and you basically whacks you upside the head.

NG really shines when you can do rolls/counters and gently caress up your enemies. Being flashy just gets you killed.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Only thing I don't like about DMC4 is that stupid dice room. I thought the developers were aware when Dante breaks it in half, as if they were going hahah we are just kidding. You don't have to do it.

And then comes the boss rush dice room.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Pomp posted:

And the fish, bird swords and chimeras are annoying and unfun to fight.

loving chimeras. They always ruin my SSS runs. Its like oh hey BAM RANDOM hit out of nowhere.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Didn't DMC4 sold better than DMC last time? Pretty sure it will do it again.

I'm all for DMC4 Vergil editon. :allears:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

notZaar posted:

Sounds like a game worthy of the name "Ninja Gaiden".

How far that series has fallen eh?

I mean One and Two were great and I put it up there with DMC series. Granted they were two totally different ways of playing, I always enjoyed how Ninja Gaiden made you play defensively. Nothing more sweeter than doing a counter and then following it up with the Izuna Drop.

I never did try 3, but I heard it was really bad.

And a friend of mine who had someone working on that NG Zombie game was like dude avoid it like the plague, so glad I took his opinion into merit.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

Some of those changes are a bit weird. "Removed the need for Dante to be in Devil Trigger in order to defeat Vergil" makes me wonder if people got confused or stuck on that.

*Raises hand* Yeah it got me confused for a second. I was like did I miss a moment to take him down? He's back to full health. Of course than it's like well he's using DT clones so maybe using DT will offset and yeah.

So it did give me confusion for like a little.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh sweet jesus it's even better. I was fine with a new Vergil, but Lady and Trish?

gently caress yeah.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahaha goddamn Dante looks so goddamn pimp in his dad's outfit.

Also 24 bucks for all this? Goddamn.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This will also be my fourth time for me. I had it for the 360 (RROD'd) and then ps3. Then I bought the PC version.

And you best believe I'm gonna buy this one as well. DMC4 is great even if half of the levels are the same with Dante, it's still different enough with how Dante controls.

Except the dice. Don't miss that. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If it didn't sell better than DMC4 back then, what makes you think it will sell better than it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
:(

Yeah can't blame you for that.

Did not know that it was only a digital release so my fault on that one.

• Locked thread