Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

All this talk about using the Unreal engine puzzles me, didn't Capcom make a brand new engine for DMC4 then just scrap it? They should have passed it on to Ninja Theory so they could have a game running at 60 FPS!

And what MOTIVATED Capcom to farm out DMC to a developer like Ninja Theory anyway? I loved Heavenly Sword but I cannot fathom why they would be the prime developers for a flagship series, one that Capcom desperately needs to keep running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

notZaar posted:

The engine is called NT Framework and it wasn't scrapped, it has been used for other Capcom games such as Lost Planet. The engine is PC native and Capcom then ports out the games to each platform. They didn't give it to Ninja Theory because it is an in-house technology that Capcom is extremely protective of.

Oh okay, my bad on that one. But surely they could profit from selling it, much like Epic does with the Unreal Engine? Maybe not to the same extent but still, its a perfectly servicable engine for multiple platforms and developers to use, and they would still publish the game anyway!

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Spermando posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks DMC1 is still the best. Sure, the combat in DMC3 is better, but in terms of backgrounds, bosses, enemy design, feedback, music, and atmosphere, DMC is still the high point of the series for me. It's sad they completely discarded the survival horror tone for the sequels.

I'd agree on a lot of those points although I prefer DMC3 overall, something about the gothic atmosphere got lost over the next few games.

Speaking of atmos, this game does have excellent looking environments, no doubt about that! But, like others have said, the gameplay doesn't quite suit what DMC is. They should just have it as a spin-off and leave it at that rather than some sort of reboot.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I really liked Heavenly Sword personally, the sword had a good variety of moves and the challenges were fun. Its not that good on Hard mode though, the combat doesn't really suit it. Play it on normal and you'll have a fun game to pass the time.

Edit - The Sword had 3 styles of combat: Speed, Heavy and Air and the movelist increases as you go on along with the list of fatalities. Enemy placement is good enough for you to need to use all of these frequently, but one to one boss battles could have benefitted from a lock on system. Sometimes I just randomly flailed across the screen.

Temascos fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 12, 2012

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Not too impressed by the trailer, I just felt "eh" the whole way through. Same criticisms I have are still present and the gauntlets...if you can call them that, look boring. Surely with the tech available they could nail down the art of the gauntlets from the first game?

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

That boss dialogue is worthy of an award in "Characters sounding like a bunch of teenagers." The dubstep was pretty slick but that fight just looked extremely boring, the demo should be out tommorow over here so I'll give it a try then. Really not holding my breath, I never thought I wouldn't be hyped for a DMC game.

There's a first time for everything I guess. :(

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Air raid confirmed:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts00KdUYAqY

Such grace. Such beauty as it takes to flight. Game redeemed.

I'm picturing Dante going "NEEEOOOOWWWWW" while flying across the screen, makes it a bit more charming. :D

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Just played the PS3 version of the demo, saying I'm not impressed is an understatement. Having the R1 button for dodging just doesn't feel right, heck, nothing about the demo feels right. Having two seperate grab functions seems pointless to me, sure they'll have their justification but it's two extra buttons that could have been used for something else.

Music was bland, as was voice acting. Not horrible as such, just unremarkable. The Slurm Queen wasn't that exciting to fight against, compare that to Cereberus. Whilst he kicked the crap out of us the first time we played DMC3, developing the skills to defeat him with ease felt satisfying, and satisfying combat for me is the essence of DMC.

This new one does not have the feeling of kicking rear end, this is a slightly faster Heavenly Sword. I had a quick go on that whilst the demo was downloading and I have to say HS is more fun, as the combat actually suited that game.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

My biggest problem with having two dodge buttons is that I'd much rather have a Devil Trigger button. The stick-click just feels awkward as hell. I didn't even check if I can customize that, I should.

That's another thing I took issue with, in previous games it comes naturally to use it when you've built up the meter or when you need that extra push. I practically forgot it was there after you're told to use it, pressing two sticks down for that is something I can't understand.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Renoistic posted:

-gently caress YOU!
-NO, gently caress YOU!
-gently caress YOU!

If the series somehow survives this game and does an awesome sequel, I'd want Donte to be unlockable and have gently caress YOU being the only thing he says, ever. It pretty much works for anything.

Villian does evil things? gently caress YOU
Good guy points out what needs to be done? gently caress YOU
You die? gently caress YOU

Then have a cutscene where the real Dante walks by, and knocks him out with one punch.

Played the demo again on the hardest difficulty, wasn't too much difference for me. I liked changing up tactics before but I wasn't too motivated to do that in this demo.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Reading the comments people are posting while listening to the DMC3 ost, it makes the pain of the new game a little bit dulled. :)

Edit - Argh, new page. Okay, seems like Manual Lock On is getting a lot of attention. And of course the answers are not being satisfying, how do you remove an important gameplay system for "Narrative Reasons"? Makes little sense to me, not like they couldn't do soft lock as well.

Temascos fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 30, 2012

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Just played some DMC3 to see what I felt was missing from the new game's demo and oh boy, the difference was massive. The combat felt satisfying, that's the main thing for me. obviously the move list is larger but even with Trickster and Royal Guard (Both of which are my weakest styles to play), the basic movelist makes much more sense.

Although, I did seem to struggle a bit more with the camera controls than I remembered, getting used to current generation standards on control I guess. But seriously, all Capcom need to do is DMC1s atmosphere and Devil Trigger depth, DMC3's bosses and combat, DMC4's campaign variety (But no repeat locations unless backtracking is short...and no dice please). By cutting off and alienating the fanbase at large, and new customers not sure whever to buy the new game or not means that sales that were once assured are no longer the case.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

A Sparda game where he's incredibly posh would be amazing, especially the insults.

Sparda: "You low horotious lump of fecal horror, you maniac bastardly turd, I would rather drink stale urine from Norman Fowler's arspit than remain one moment more in your defiling company. You're filth, you're cack, you're the ooze of burst boil. I abominate you, you cowering mound of corrupted slime. Your every utterant is like the slithering hiss of a fat maggot in the putrid guts of a decomposing rat. Your face is fouler than the unwiped inner ring of Satan's rectum!"

Poison: "FUCCCKKKKK YOOOOUUUUUU!" (Boss fight begins)

You know what? Ninja Theory should just dub all of Dante's lines and do this. :)

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I now have a sudden urge to go to GamesRader's offices, and force them to play through Devil May Cry 1,3 and 4 on Dante Must Die difficulties until they get it into their head about what the series really is.

And some of those comments arguing for accessibility. Hell, that's fine by me, casualisation of a series that has core roots is dumb, this game...is dumb.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I'm baffled as to why publications are practically giving head to this new game. It's very puzzling to see, surely they would think of the step back from framerate to be 'extremely bad' in a fast-paced action series?

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Alteisen posted:

While I do agree with this, the DmC coverage is loving weird to me, I haven't seen this much verbal masturbation of a game since Metal Gear Solid 2, and maybe its just me but I don't consider Devil May Cry to be that special, its completely insane how game journalists are salivating all over this thing.

Part of it may be the reviewers trying to see this like the next Modern Warfare or something that 'dramatically' changes the franchise and the way games are pla- hahaha. But you're right, it's loving weird.

When the reviews come out, we should do reviews of their reviews and send it back to them, and let other sites know about it. Hopefully that'll gather some attention.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Ifrit is still probably the best Devil Arm when it comes to sheer 'impact', that crunch made you feel quite powerful and badass. So when you're facing powerful enemies that need to take a lot of punishmet from it showed that they were hardasses of the highest degree.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

God, another interview where they try and divert criticism by making about it being his freaking hair. IT WAS NEVER HIS HAIR. WE ACCEPTED THE HAIR.

Its the interviews that are making me more and more aggrevated with Ninja Theory.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

If new Dante was a side character in the series I think he would be interesting, but as a main character not really. Compare the intro with DMC3, its a dark beginning as our hero is stabbed but then it goes back to the shop where he's bashing monsters up and eating pizza. It looks cool, but DmC is trying to be gritty (Yay for CombiChrist placement too! So much for that political message guys)

Reading other sites, gotta love the comments from the fans, saying that as 60 FPS on Pc it means that the 30 FPS comments are now invalid (PROTIP - Comments are still valid, jerks).

On the topic of boss rushes, I'm okay with them sometimes, or if I can shorten them. But when you had DMC4 doing it basically twice meant that I was burned out at the end. If I'm to fight a boss again, I'd prefer it to be in a different location with some different moves to spice things up, something that the series has proven already.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Regarding a real DMC5, if they stuck with Dante's style system from 4 along with some fanastic areas and enemies that would be sufficient for me as its been a while since a game like DMC4 (Not barring games like Bayonetta of course, but DMC had that magic for me). Thing that would need to change though are: Backtracking done to a less severe degree, or meant something substantial if it had to happen. Platforming should be simple and not be something too important to the gameplay. Battle themes need to have variety, or just more of them.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I'm not gonna get the game, but instead I'll just watch a playthrough that has all the cutscenes since its all Ninja Theory's ever talked about. That Vergil meeting Dante cutscene was pretty boring though, Dante in particular doesn't come across as a guy just trying to be left alone, but instead a douche.

And that Gamesmaster comment about combat in the series barely changing since 2001? Got two words for them : gently caress YOU. See how fearful and awesome that was? :P

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Gem from Eurogamer, a site I otherwise respect.

quote:

There's a baffling amount of negativity surrounding this one. Ninja Theory, once critical darlings after the well-received Enslaved, have become unfortunate punch bags for a legion of fans who seem to have forgotten that when it comes to stuffing up Devil May Cry it's Capcom's internal teams that perhaps deserve the most scorn - didn't any of those fans play the second and fourth installments?

Yes...I...WHAT?!

I've posted a comment that reads like this, got negged much to my SHOCKED surprise. SHOCKED I say!

" "There's a baffling amount of negativity surrounding this one." - Not baffling at all actually. All comments concerning gameplay are derided as "HAIR" comments which are then ignored by both media and developers. A jankier framerate compared to the last two games (save for PC, doesn't make it right though), monotone storytelling with 'edgy' swearing, a needlessly complicated grab/pull system that's tripped up everyone I know who's played the demo (Including seasoned action game players) in return for no taunts, directional based attacks and having to switch weapons to take care of certain enemies rather than basing it on user preference.. and falling to death... in a Devil May Cry game. On top of that, Ninja Theory's arrogant attitude when talking to fans (Who for the most part have reasonable concerns) are shot down."

Fans of this game don't seem to have a valid response to this criticism, or indeed one that isn't fanatical and daft.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Probably will get the HD Collection at some point, need to clear space in my house and starting off by getting collections instead of single games will help. Plus the upped resolution and trophies is great for me. :)

Been listening to the previous games soundtracks, drat they're so enjoyable!

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Oh man someone seriously needs to slap Ninja Theory around the head, freaking asshats.

One of things I don't understand about the "Old Dante would get laughed out of a club" meme they're trying to push is what makes them think Dante would take that poo poo? Let's say people laugh at his outfit, what would he do? He'd sit down, order a drat drink and if anyone attacked him he'd kick their rear end and flirt with 5 women at the same time, whilst having his drink.

New Dante would just get thrown out or barred from entering the drat place. And mope on the street corner with some cheap beer, because he's 'rebellious' and poo poo, and then Dante walks out with 5 women and gives New Dante some loose change.

Temascos fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 1, 2013

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

^Yeah, fair enough. I'll change that.^

Back on subject, after I get through Bioshock Infinite I'm strongly thinking about grabbing the HD Collection, this is more of a Euro specific question but is Turbo Mode in DMC3? I remember they removed it in the Special Edition release in the UK for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

well why not posted:

Doesn't new Dante go home with two women right in the opening credits of DmC? What a weird argument point.

Oh drat! You're right! :)

Just briefly played the first DMC again after god knows how long, and its amazing how well it holds up today. Obviously the graphics themselves have been surpassed but the art direction is one that has stood the test of time for me. I do hope whatever DMC game comes next they try to match the style of the first, it just worked.

• Locked thread