Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Good god.
They even appropriate good art.

The point here is, Dante is no David. He's some angel demon hybrid bastard while David was just your run of the mill kid/guy.

To go further with this Goliath is/was a living legend, feared by all, a giant in more than one way and David was just some random shlub that slew him. This is just the head of Generic Monster 365. This could work if it was the head of some great evil we knew, like say...Mundus, the Not-Pope, or maybe even Virgil's demon form from DMC 1 but that can't be because this is a reboot. So yeah, look at this badass killing this one random monster. So cool :effort:

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So Lady confirmed for showing up?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

No, it's literally just Mundus' and Lilith's monster babby.
Oh wow. Look at all that interest drying up and dying.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with "Dante is sloppy and getting used to fighting" as an animation decision is that... well, once again it doesn't really mesh with gameplay. I feel like the best way to handle it (and if they do this bravo) is that Dante's animations should change with your style ranking. If you're playing crap then Dante looks awkward and sloppy. If you're SSS-ranking it then he shouldn't look like he barely know what he's doing, he should look crazy skilled.

This would work a hell of a lot better in a game where it took more than one attack to move up a rank. As is, if you implemented that system you'd maybe get half a second of different styles so Dante would look even more flail-y.

EDIT: So is there a demo out for the general public yet? I'm wanting to try out the whip-thing. Hopefully it'll be as smooth and interesting as Nero's Devil Bringer.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sonny Cheebah posted:

That's disappointing, but expected I suppose.

Personally, I've never thought that the Devil May Cry series was ever more than the sum of its gameplay. In my opinion, the dialogue's always been terrible and so has the plot.

Yeah but the dialogue was at least funny bad. Like, B movie action stars bad. This is just two assholes yelling gently caress YOU back and forth forever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

I don't even get what the gently caress the nature of the world of DMC4 is. Is it medieval? Is it present-day? Is this some weird country that's completely cut off from the rest of the world? I mean I don't see any cars and people seem to have very simple basic technology but Nero's rocking his bigass headphones that are playing MP3s he got from a computer that's probably made of wood.

The previous games had Dante fighting through streets with cars, etc(except for when he's in an ancient castle or in a giant tower that came from hell). and using telephones and ordering pizza while listening to jukeboxes so Fortuna seems so out of place.

I think, given the whole TOTALLY-NOT-AN-EVIL-CATHOLIC-CHURCH vibe Nero's religion had the town's supposed to be something similar to the Vatican. Lots of really old poo poo that they're trying to keep in tact.

Also I'm pretty sure you see cares in the second mission when you're devil grabbing around the roof tops. And modern boats in the area before the boss fight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

What's wrong with 4's combat mechanics?

Nothing. He said everything but the combat has some major flaws.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Is there some easy way to kill Blitzes in DMC 4 pre Lucifer/Pandora? They are kicking my rear end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

G-Prime posted:

These videos are actually getting me more excited about the game. Vergil looks pretty fun to play, similar to DMC3. That Dante video actually makes the combat look a little deeper than the demo did, which really helps ease my fears about it.

Really? I feel like the Stylish video just shows what would be basic combos for DMC 4. Like, all the super SSS combos are your beginner "Oh this is how I keep from dying" type stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

G-Prime posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I still feel like the depth is nowhere close to DMC4. I just mean that the demo made it seem that there was next to nothing that could be done for combat variety. Instead of playing like baby's first DMC, it looks like it'll at least keep up with the original game. Obviously, SSS combos are WAY too easy to get, but at least you can do more than the demo showed. Admittedly, I haven't watched any videos that have come out between the release of the demo and today, so I don't know what else has been shown. Maybe it's actually worse than I think.

That's a good point but I feel that's really where the gameplay loses me (The game itself loses me for it's tone, story, and art direction which are all laughably terrible). In DMC 3-4 I felt like mixing up combos is what I had to do to survive. Each combo did something different and to really survive and prosper I had to learn how these weapons and moves interacted with one another. The Style meter was a way of the game telling me how well I was doing. You play the first few missions getting maybe a C-B consistently, taking a hits left and right. Then you get better, grabbing A's, learning longer combos and stuff like swappin weapons mid combo to chain new moves/respond to enemy attacks. Personally, the first time I hit S and held it there was an amazing feeling it was like I had graduated from just surviving the combat to really owning it.

In DmC: DmC's demo I got SSS and survived with barely any hits by just using the Demon Axe and the two pulls which got old quick. But minus the few enemies that I just couldn't do that to, I never HAD to swap up combos, so why would I? To make my Meter go up? No it's maxed already. To not die? HAhaha, no I'm juggling everything by just pressing circle.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hel posted:

Does anyone have some tips for how to reliably beat the blitzes as Nero? The only good way I've found is throw a gyro-blade in their faces but those aren't available all the time.

Charge shot them and I think there's a buster counter for one of their attacks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So has there ever been anything 'in universe' confirming Nero's lineage or are we left to just assume he's Vergil's from the whole Blood of Sparda thing and Dante's general apathy towards him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Lady bursts into Dante's shop.

"Dante, I saw some demons doin' demon stuff or whatever!"

"Looks like this party's gonna get--"

"Also, they said you look like a dork!"

"SAY WHAAAAAAAAAT?"

*building explodes, Dante surfs through the air on a flaming jukebox, title screen*

There, made it even better for you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

You'd think that but no, even trying that is slapping me back into the fight areas.

No it's still that, man. I don't know what you're loving up but it was still the same for me on the Dante side of things.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Isn't the guy on the right the 'villain' in his story? And a cry baby high school loser?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

So he does a bunch of generic, joyless good-guy stuff because he spends most of the game being told "go ye, and stab this dude" by his badly-dressed older brother, and then stabs the brother for vague "you do a bad thing" Reasons. Someone throw him a loving parade.

The older Dante was given only the vaguest of instructions for cutting loose in his games, if any, and then treated everything that followed like a vacation from all his lounging around and pizza-chomping. His entire half of the plot in DMC4 has him destroying ultimate evils with the same air you'd expect one to have when ordering a margarita. Sure, the world's being saved, but that's sort of a side-effect of Dante (and, by extension, the player) having a good time.

Hell, his plot line in Nero's half was just "I'm going to see just how pissed off I can make my maybe-nephew and maybe stop Demon-Angel Pope along the way. I dunno, Trish is doing that, I think...."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

The argument was about objective fact - whether or not Dante had character development in DmC. He did. If you or anyone else found it interesting is irrelevant. I just don't appreciate being called a liar or a troll.

I wouldn't call that development. He kind of just switches from rear end in a top hat to hero dante the second he gets his demon powers. There's no real arc. there's change yes, but no development.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Nobunaga in general is ridiculously overused in Japanese games. Pokemon Conquest features him as an antagonist for chrissakes.

You do realize it's a crossover title with the game series called Nobunaga's Ambition, right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zedd posted:

The main thing I remember from DMC4 is this:

:byodood: Blastoff!

Dude you only need one blastoff, then you use give everyone the Big Hand and enemy step off them to stay airborn. C'mon man it couldn't BE any simple :smug:.

Joking aside I really loved the difference between Nero and Dante's combat lines. Nero is full of ineffectual rage and has no idea what to do with it and Dante's just laughing his rear end off and that tells you literally everything you need to know about the characters.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RBX posted:

Just switch Devil Trigger and Shoot to make it easier to charge. I never use exceed/rev up Nero's sword ever. Don't judge me.

Please don't listen to this. The secret to bringing out the massive damage to Nero is to Master the timing for the Instant Exceed on hits and to learn to use the Devil buster to keep fights up in the air/where you want them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pomp posted:

Honestly, I like the way DMC4 plays more than Bayonetta, buy Bayonetta doesn't have terrible levels and dumb unfun enemies left and right. Except that Space Harrier level that lasts for loving ever, that they put the best boss in the game behind :negative:

Well it would be the best boss fight if the camera didn't loving give up it's job any time you came close to a corner. And if it didn't have 2 DO OR DIE un fun QTE's that gate the 2nd and 3rd parts of the fight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pomp posted:

I hate fighting those swords and fish too. The black cloud ghost dudes also have a dumb tendency to just fly into a wall. Still not as bad as DMC3, but gently caress.

But you can literally just grab them out of their invincibility! Or just loving Gunslinger them out of existence.

The real annoyance is Blitz. Dude's a loving rear end in a top hat and I still waste DT to Distortion attack them just to get that poo poo over with fast.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Aurain posted:

Anything that has long periods of invincibility sucks complete rear end so yeah, screw Blitzes.

Eh, with decent Shotgunning or Blue Rose charging it's not too long my problem is how short the window between the lightning forms are.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh, you mean Bayonetta? That game was pretty rad.

Bayonetta is a really good game and has a lot of quality of life enhancements DMC needs (A Dedicated loving Dodge button. It's almost impossible to go back to DMC 4 after playing so much Bayo and MGR), but it lacks a lot of the poo poo I really love about DMC. The weapons in Bayo just lack 'weight'. The game and fighting system focuses on Witch Time and Wicked Weaves which is fun but it kind of makes the difference between the weapons kind of an after thought for combat. Also all the boss fights are kind of really boring to actually play. The exception to that rule is the Jeanne fights and even those they gently caress up by gating it with not only the worst segment in the game AND 2 dumb QTE's AND set the fight in an arena that caused the camera to freak the gently caress out any time you so much as stepped near where the wall met the floor.

Bayonetta 2 hopefully deals with my complaints (Well, at least the thing about boss fights). Honestly MGR is the best Bayo/DMC game we've ever got so I'm good for now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

This guy makes New Dante look pretty okay. Maybe it's because his face doesn't look all goofy and he looks like a grown rear end man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Also were people legitimately upset about the demon baby abortion sequence? Because come the gently caress on, you get mad for shooting a pregnant demon woman, but not about fighting a demon fetus by ripping out its eyes with a hookshot?

The game itself treats that moment as a big dark and serious moment, so why should the audience? It slows down, the music dies down, everyone has their serious face on, we get close ups of the demon's crushing loving despair and loss before she's shot in the head. Even Dante thinks what just happened was hosed up beyond belief.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

^^^ At least post Summon and Kill as well. That poo poo is the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpME4riPI1k

100% Taking Itself Seriously

I guess. The game itself is fairly juvenile, but all Devil May Cry games are juvenile, that's sort of the point. The more seriously the games take themselves, the worse they get--see Devil May Cry 2, 4.

Dunno what version of 4 you played but the only one taking poo poo seriously in that is Nero and the villains. Dante, and you the player, realized they're all kind of wound a bit too tight and he spends the first half of the game just kind of loving with everyone before taking over and making it to goofball power hour.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 21, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I also recently beat DmC. I don't like the visuals, a lot of the colors run together.

And seriously gently caress the platforming.

The Platforming I can't complain about since 90% of it is "Right Trigger+Square => Left Trigger+Square. Repeat 10 times."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Angel weapons are underpowered by design, though. They're useful for juggling and breaking up enemy attacks, and they work fantastically for that.

Two things that were basically never ever needed because the Demon weapons loving WRECKED everything so loving fast you only needed angel weapons when the game explicitly forced you to use them.

Weapon Specific enemies were the dumbest loving poo poo and completely opposed to the core gameplay behind DMC.

DmC at least had a story that managed to be coherent and present an interesting world without being too self-indulgent.

Ah yes, the interesting world of Fat Bald Demon's dry humping piles of flesh and evilly telling her how he was going to control the World with DEBT while also ripping off ideas from good movies but doing them 1000x more juveniley. Also Squirrel Semen.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 21, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So this reboot was not actually successful? I didn't know quite how well it sold, but I guess this answers that.

Sold less than the HD repackaging of the first 3 games. Pretty sure the HD version sold less than 4 which sold a poo poo ton because they were coming off DMC 3, just to put that into perspective.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

And before people mention Mega Man, It's worth mentioning that every single DMC game, including DmC, sold more than any Mega Man game since the SNES days.

Also there's only been like 5 DMC games (like 7 counting collections and poo poo) where as mega-man had like 7 sub-franchises each with at least 3 (Usually 4-6) of their own.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AccountingNightmare posted:

When I finished DMC4 for the first time, I thought it was a setup for a DMC5 starring both Dante and Nero, bringing Vergil back somehow as a plot point and unlockable character. I'm not sure how they would have worked it out storywise but let's face it, none of us would care if the story was generic enough to support whichever character you choose to play as. Or just have the three of them travelling as a team and you get to choose who to play in each level. Would it be weird that the other two aren't helping you fight that boss? At first yeah but the tradeoff would be so awesome.

Of course the other solution is playable co-op but I'm not delusional enough to hope for that. :smith: It's weird - my imaginary DMC5 seemed so blindingly obvious to me back then. "Of COURSE that's what they'll do. Why wouldn't they?" I was then left very puzzled when the reboot was announced.

My dream DMC 5 would have 4 Player Co-OP and you can play as Trish and Lady with their own movesets. Just all of the Devil May Cry workers out in the field together.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Kamiya is not some god of video games. I love the dude, but I'm of the opinion DMC4 and MGR are better than Bayonetta and even though I liked Okami, that game has quite a few problems with it. Kamiya's best game is probably still Viewtiful Joe and this is coming from someone whose favorite Director is Kamiya and thinks the man can do no wrong.

Kamiya has grown with age and makes better games all of the time, but it is not improbable for someone to do better than him at what he crafted.

DMC 4 is tied with Bayonetta. It would easily eclipse it if it had a dedicated dodge button.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

notZaar posted:

Man that's nonsense talk. MGR alone is better than DMC4, and Bayonetta trumps them both.

The weapons in Bayonetta would have to matter for anything for it to beat DMC 4 and Bayonetta would have to a coherent plot and likable characters that aren't Bayo to beat MGR :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

notZaar posted:

To me DMC4 feels really unimaginative, especially when you consider how much variety DMC3 has. It's not a bad game at all, but I feel like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel. If they focused only on Nero it might have been better, though people would raise hell.

But most of the variety in 3 was kind of terrible. I feel like 4 had less stuff but more consistently good stuff. 3 at it's best was better than 4's best, but 3 has a lot of poo poo I just never want to have to do again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also I'm never ever going back to 3 because I can't swap styles mid combo in that.

That alone makes 4 more playable and enjoyable.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

EightFlyingCars posted:

There's actually a good reason for this, it's necessary to double up on dodge buttons to be able to do angel evades and demon dodges without having to try to hit R1 and R2 at the same time or whatever.

Angel Evades however are so useless that you might as well loving unmap that button. Seriously, the power boost from Demon Dodge lets you 1 shot entire Boss HP bars. Just like the angel weapons, it's only useful when you're forced to use them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

RIP to the Beef Waifu when Bayonetta 2 is still the best action game after DMC4SE's release

Do the different weapons significantly change how you play when you swap from one to another or are they the same as bayo 1's where they're gimmicks are nice but largely unimportant?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

darealkooky posted:

how is this possible when guns do less damage (especially at a distance), have less moves and you have less of them period

They actually do more damage (or at least comparable damage) and while they're few of them you have all them all at once and can swap through meaning they're actually WAY better for doing cool gunslinger combos or just gunplay in combos more generally. Also while they have less moves the ones they do have are all more immediately useful and interesting. Most of DMC 3 guns weren't anything really interesting or all that useful outside of gunslinger, but then you're stuck in gunslinger because of the poor way styles are handled in it. Seriously, I don't know how anyone could see Panadora and all of the crazy poo poo it can do and think "No guns aren't good and aren't worth using."

Hell that's just Dante too. Nero's gun is super simple but does INSANE damage and hitstun even on just a level 2 charge. The level 3 is basically the best gun shot in the series for how much work it puts in for the effort. Don't even get started on the entirely gun based character they added in the special addition.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

notZaar posted:

They clearly shoehorned the little girl into it because where would anime be without underage girls to fetishize?

You should stop watching shows about fetishizing little girls, you weirdo

Also Nero is a cool character because he's so mad and baby angry that his first reaction to Dante helping is to just flip him off as he was possibly dying.

• Locked thread