Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is the combo scoring system that easy to pull of a SSS rank by spamming the same attack?

I know he's not hitting back but surely 5 heavy attacks shouldn't give a rank that high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

My god, this loving video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93EnuEtmTg

Videogame journalism at its finest.

Did not realize that the background music in that video was in the game until he started praising it for being a "grimy glitchy trippy mess".

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Aurain posted:

DMC 2 does have a spectacular Dante design though, give credit where it's due.

I don't see the good design there. I mean it's better then shirtless Dante but his designs for 1 and 4 are way better.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

AccountingNightmare did a great LP of it, and had a video explaining where it went wrong.

All those are blip links, which are gone. See here for the retrospective on her youtube account.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

yoshesque posted:

There's a new beast form so you can travel fast underwater
Oh are we getting FPS underwater combat again?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You should probably keep in mind that the Korra game is planned as a small downloadable title. At a possibly reduced price. Some sites have gotten to play some of it and they seem pretty impressed and it sounds a lot like a platinum title.

I'd figure this would be better then Anarchy Reigns at least.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They're about average length really. I'd consider DmC to be too long. Korra though has been rumored to be around 4-6 hours long. Which is fine as long as the gameplay is good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Anarchy Reigns had the best soundtrack :colbert:

The best soundtrack of all the platinum games. The gameplay though was poor and it was really showing that they had an insanely small budget to work off.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Bayonetta unfortunately takes some aspects of God of War which Devil May Cry 4 thankfully did not. The levels are mostly linear, and are seamlessly loaded rather than comprised of small rooms with loading screens. Cutscenes have quick-time events, which can ruin your ranking for a chapter as well as being pretty unforgiving. Enemies have finisher moves which require you to mash buttons really fast, which was even harder on the PS3 version since they didn't account for its pressure sensitive buttons.

I've never actually failed the button mashing torture attacks, can you actually fail them or does she kill them anyway?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Even Metal Gear Rising had one, but at least it was restricted to a short bit during the Sundowner fight instead of its own level.

That short bit also lasts about as long as it takes to beat Sundowner.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

If they hired Platinum to do it it'd be full of jokes aimed at DmC. It would be wonderful.

Or they could just straight up sabotage everything about the game to be bitter.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/11/bayonetta-2-wii-u-hideki-kamiya-box-art-doesnt-like/

He hated it because nintendo changed it. It's a small change but honestly it looks like she's in front of a giant omelet or pancake.

E: no need for double box art

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 16, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So I assume they can't ask to have it changed back or anything? When did Nintendo change it on them?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

graynull posted:

I didn't even notice the crescent moon in the original until I read his complaint about it. Just looked like clouds obscuring the moon to me. I would agree that the moon gets lost in the altered art though. I think the most egregious change is the 'Bonus' logo. I understand that marketing thinks that is a worthy selling point, but the contrast in color and its prominent placement really fucks up the visual hierarchy. The game name is much more impactful with the contrasting yellow background, and the same goes for the red "2".

You'd have to keep the Bonus icon. It's kind of a selling point that you're getting two games for the price of one.

Anyway the new box art isn't great but that's not really going to take anything away from the game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You forgot to also put Dante in the background.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I gotta say it does look like they're taking everything I hated about DmC and are trying to fix it.

Can't fix the plot but I can skip all that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how you'd handle a Virgil Mode in DMC4. It's designed with the player swap in mind. Maybe a shorter version of the story where you only fight the bosses once?

You could swap Dante's path with him. I don't think they intend to have him run through both halves of the game.

Or we're just getting a Virgil skin for both characters.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Man at Arms was the same group who made that lovely looking buster sword, right?

The Rebellion sword looks weird with the wooden handle.

Magil of Shadow posted:

Plus, I was personally annoyed with the size, as it should have been longer, and going with wood for the handle just irked me.
Here's a longer one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgR3mhwHfL4

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 7, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

SSSmokin' Sick Style!

I prefer this to the MAA one, practicality be damned.

He also made Alastor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S739tacOM0Y

I actually don't like most of the weapons MAA make. They always mess around with materials.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That is the weirdest way to try and fix a ending.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SurrealityCheck posted:

If she had a piece of pizza stuck to her butt...

Yes...

Alternate alternate ending: Dante and Virgil fight inside a Pizza Hut over toppings.

I don't see why they bother to change the ending scene when we still have this in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oL29x7Reh8

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't Kat like, sad over Vergil betraying them and them almost fighting to the death? Is that supposed to be wacky-charming instead of making him look like a creeper?

Yeah. Think also this is after Dante saying "I don't know who I am" being completely serious.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That's so weird considering they removed some explicit dialogue from the game. For example: Lilith cuts from "at last the world is your bitch" to "what's the matter?" rather abruptly, and the whole section with her saying "and so am I blah blah please gently caress me" has been removed (not even particularly elegantly I might add).

Next you're gonna tell me they cut out the sniper abortion scene.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NT posted:

we also added a brand new cutscene that didn't make it in time for the original game.

Please tell me that's the rear end grab ending.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They haven't announced anything but they've been teasing it lately, mostly by posting big 2's everywhere and then announcing other Rising-related stuff that plausibly corresponds with a 2, like 2nd anniversary wallpaper or whatever.

The big 2 that was shown wasn't for Rising at all.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kojima said he wanted Rising 2 to be about Gray Fox fighting nanomachine zombies but he offered to write it for Platinum and they were all "thanks but no thanks".

Kojima's too crazy for Platinum :allears:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The new alternate ending would make that just perfect.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Holy poo poo this is great.

I wonder if Vergil is getting just Yamato.
The concentration system sounds like it would only really work for the Yamato.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

notZaar posted:

People keep saying this game is good, I hated it plus it's got zero style.

Yeah , Ryu doesn't even fight in his Sunday best.

Ninja Gaiden Black is still pretty good though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Bloodborne/DMC4 isn't enough to sell me a PS4, but one more character action game will be the straw that breaks my back for sure.
I'd be in the same boat if this wasn't coming out for PC too.

Sorry I did not notice Vergil's had his two other weapons in this. I really loved switching between all three in DMC3 and his version of Beowulf was the best.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Ironically enough Destructoid somehow managed to get even worse in his absence.

Destructoid doesn't seem that bad honestly.

Lady looks like they just handed her all of Dante's guns and souped them up a bunch. I love it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Looks like the Japanese are getting a special special edition:

Pizza Box Edition

gently caress here's me saying I'll never get a special edition and then this appears.

Well I suppose i'm not getting the console versions anyway.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I hope DMC5 has a joke where a black wig lands on Dante and he's all "not i a million years" :classiclol:

I might have to retry PC DMC3 with the style switcher mod. I didn't know it also fixed a ton of issues.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'd rather the developers weren't petty, but that's just me :shrug:

DMC5 is actually just a retelling of DmC with the normal devil may cry crew taking it less seriously. The end boss is Tameem Antoniades and it's a rhythm battle with both sides saying "gently caress you" louder and louder.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Is Trish Pallet Swap supposed to be Dante's mom?

Can't be Dante's Mom cause she already looks like his mom. :v:
Bayonetta? Tifa?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They said in that link that there are also a set of palette swaps in addition to all the costumes.

Please let there be an entirely pink/purple Dante costume.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hel posted:

With all the new characters they are putting in I'm a bit disappointed they couldn't find a place for Lucia.
She's too far in the future. Dante hasn't met her yet :v:

Lady resting on her bazooka is pretty cool.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 14, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

If Vergil survived to DMC4's time, he would either have a full beard to play off Dante's stubble, or an evil twin goatee

It would fit his whole robed Kenshiro look he was going for in the intro cutscene.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I forgot this was out today.

So does Virgil/Trish/Lady get full campaign cutscenes or is it just like DMC3:SE where we get an intro, outro and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So played through a few stages with Lady. I thought she was super limited at first but man some of her style attacks are so...stylish. The launcher with the twosome time attack has a really wide range and drat those guns can stunlock.

Might have to adjust the controller settings for charge shots. Setting it to the a trigger might be better.

• Locked thread