Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skywalker6705 posted:

Stumbled on another ridiculous video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnbnqJSpj-Q

Man, watching this just makes me really aware of how NOT good I was at these games, even though I loved the hell out of them. Anyone else feel the same? I love watching this crap on youtube, it's like an inspiration to suck less. I seriously don't understand how anyone can't see why people see a difference between this DMC, and DmC.

I'm not nearly that good, but I definitely look back and think, "wow, I used to SUCK at DMC."

I remember Dmc3 kicking my rear end SO, SO HARD when it first came out. I did the Agni and Rudra fight like literally 30 times in a row. (Having to replay the whole level each time, since this wasn't special edition with happy yellow orbs for everyone)

I dunno where it happened, but somewhere along the way...

I can beat every boss in DMC3 now in one try, with nothing more than Ebony, Ivory, and Rebellion. Its easy too, rote. I guess a BIG part of that is just learning the boss attacks and patterns by heart, but... yeah. I used to struggle SO much, and now I can combo between two weapons like its second nature. *shrug*

Man, I really want to like the new DmC, I've long been a huge fan of the series. I was burned hard by Dmc 2 though, so I'm gonna be wary of this one.

I don't like the new art design AT ALL, I'm worried about the change in team, and there's no PC port?

Blagh, I'll just play the DMC HD collection instead. 1, 3, and 4 are amazing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just saw a new trailer and remembered this was a thing, long time DMC fan, just can't get over all the changes. Why reboot something that doesn't need rebooting? :(

Dante in the new one feels like a mix of Dante and Nero, which is just weird. (Nero was practically dante already anyways). He's got a sorta nero devil bringer ability and he's built more like Nero but with Dante's attitude... Hrm.

I thought I'd give it another chance, downloading the demo. Reading impressions of the demo don't sound good though, somebody was pointing out the style system is pretty darn broken and you can easily get up to SSS and then stay there forever if you just turtle up and play safe. That's awful. Combined with the changes to Dante and the overall tone I don't think I'm going to get this one. If the gameplay in the demo is really solid though I'll give it a chance.

Like some of y'all have said, I think I'll get the HD collection just to spite NT. I want to replay DMC3 again anyways and the PC port is a piece of poo poo.

I guess DmC looks like it'll be better than DMC2, at least. :v:

You know, this reminds me, I've been meaning to play Darksiders 2...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 10, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

Is the DMC4 pc port the good one?

Yes! The DMC4 on PC is actually fantastic, with Dx9/10/11 support, very good graphics and controls and proper settings for resolution and shadow and aliasing and stuffs.

Don't even consider the DMC3 PC port. Its unplayable.

IIRC DMC4 was the first Capcom game to come after the absolutely HORRENDOUS Resident Evil 4 PC port (which didn't include things such as lighting or mouse control. Seriously, worst port of all goddamned time. The cutscenes were pre-rendered, even though on the loving gamecube they run in-engine. Just so lazy.) Up until then, Capcom just outsourced the ports (which is why DMC3 is unplayable) but after RE4 being one of their best games and having the worst port imaginable, they took so much crap they changed their policy to do PC ports only internally, and they got much better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Impressions of the demo so far:

Okay, there's two dodge buttons but no lock-on? Wtf is that noise? Admittedly the game does a decent job of telling which opponent you want to aim at, and there were sections in the previous DMC games where not using lock on was actually the way to go. However, I'm not sure completely getting rid of it was wise. Or maybe I'm just too used to the lock-on already.

Using the triggers for weapons is kinda awkward, but I think if I can get used to it then it could work out. I think I see what they were thinking, that its faster to have access to all weapons simultaneously rather than swapping a "current", but it feels a little weird.

Ugh, the new Virgil really kills me. Why couldn't they just give him a different name? I guess because he's Dante's brother still, but every other part of him is different! The old Virgil was such a perfect foil for Dante...

The whole story thing with the TV and the terrorists is just weird. Just give this game a different name! Why call this DevilMayCry?

Its like when they make a movie out of a game, but then throw away all the story and just make up new people. Why bother? In theory its good marketing, you can use the name to sell an otherwise unknown product, but it seems like this is only going to ruin the brand...

Devil May Cry: The Movie: The Game

Just call it Resident Demons or something :p They even rebooted the name in a way, instead of DMC its DmC, but why not go further? Bleh.

Anyways, The graphics are great and the gameplay isn't that bad, so as you said, if this wasn't called DmC, it wouldn't be too bad. But since it is... Hm.

My biggest complaint right now is probably the result of lack of lock-on, the moves feel weird to perform now that they can't use lock on vs not locked as a move condition. Double tap forward for stinger? I dunno about this.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 10, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm warming up to the new Dante, he's just like pre-DMC3 dante, super angsty teens. I'm very, very glad they backed off the original design (who looked exactly like the lead developer, *cough*).

"gently caress you!" "gently caress you!" "gently caress YOUUUU" is pretty lazy writing though.

DMC3 hit the perfect balance of over the top awesome and cheesy.

Still, I hate the new virgil and the world and everything, changing the cannon but keeping it close enough, its this weird uncanny valley where my brain keeps trying to compare this to the history of DMC that I know, but it isn't. Its too close to be different, but not different enough to stand on its own.

Like devil trigger makes him actually look like dmc3 Dante. That's just straight trolling.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 10, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Welp, ran into a game breaking bug during the boss fight, this doesn't bode well.

Got the boss down to 0 life and he just froze there. I could wail on him forever, build up to SSS, but he just sat there not taking any more damage. Guess the cutscene failed to trigger? lol.

The fight was pretty cool once I got a hang of the angel lift (having the angel and demon power takes a second to make sense of, keep reaching for the wrong buttons). But the boss was kinda frustrating, I kept wanting to angel my way to him so that I could wail on him when he was vulnerable, you know? Except that doing so would just target the other platform instead, so I'd miss the opportunity.

Other times I'd need to do the angel lift to get off the platform, but I would be out of range, so I'd just stand there pressing the button standing in acid.

I want to like this game, but it isn't making it easy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

What the gently caress.

What happened to showing off the weapons?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i_8BpEOSHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEkmsMLJ2dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiPaI57rWeM

Where's the sense of fun? Oh right. Ninja Theory. I'm guessing that wouldn't be appropiate for the narrative :jerkbag:

Are they deliberately trying to piss off the fans? Blagh! That was a classic moment of the series. :/

So wait, Demon Hands? I need to do more research on what is known of the game right now,

I was kinda worried that the left trigger / right trigger meant that you'd only have 3 weapons in the game (Rebellion / Scythe / Axe). Are you going to get more, and you have to swap them out from slots like DMC3?

Do we know how many guns / devil arms there are in this one?

Awesome devil arms is definitely important. Rebellion felt like Rebellion/ForceEdge in the demo, so that was fine, and the scythe was cool enough, and had some moves that reminded me of DMC3/4, the axe was kinda meh...

And yeah, boss fights are huge.

DMC1 practically sold itself to me on 2 things: Keeping yourself in mid-air while you shoot marionettes (so cool), and climbing on the back of lava spider to rip the gently caress out of him (so cool)

DMC3 had freaking awesome boss fights, they were really hard at first but they're really not hard at all if you really learn the patterns, and there's a TON of them with great variety. I wan't super big on the "Now beat them all again!" Mega-man thing though :P

Still, I'll keep my eyes open on this one. Definitely getting a proper PC port, so that helps.

charismaslover posted:

I've always had the most fun fighting the bosses that are pretty similar to you like Nelo Angelo in DMC, Vergil fights in DMC3 and the Credo Angelo, Dante fights in DMC4.

Fighting them on the harder difficulties was always fun just because they could get up in your face constantly and wreck your poo poo if you weren't on your toes.

Fights against Virgil in DMC3 were probably my favorite.

Blagh, gently caress the Leviathan Heart though, that one sucked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SurrealityCheck posted:

Man I really do feel so sorry for ninja theory right now. I just hope the game sells well and they can make a mechanically more complex sequel now they've done the hard part of getting together the basic framework etc.

So you're hoping this is their DMC2? I guess as long as they go on to make DMC3, that's fine, but... blagh.

I'll never forget the betrayal of dmc2. :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm glad this is on Youtube because it explains everything wrong with New Dante in less than twenty seconds

I don't understand how we're supposed to like new Dante. He's not even fun, he's just a straight up, young 20s-something rear end in a top hat that we've all had the displeasure of meeting. Dante is so fake edgy that Ninja Theory wants us to get cuts just from watching that video.

That's the biggest problem with DmC, the new Dante isn't likeable.

DMC1 Dante was a loving badass. You had to respect him. Silent and moody.
DMC3 Dante was a young hothead, so he was slightly annoying to some people (I loved the over the top schtick), but his mouth wasn't writing checks his body couldn't cash; he was loving surfing on rockets for crying out loud. Bwahaha.
DMC4 Dante was possibly my favorite actually, grown up and reserved, super badass, doesn't even need to defend himself. Who cares? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am. I defeated Mundus years ago, I got this poo poo.

But the new DmC Dante... he's trying way too hard to prove himself, he's super, super cocky without being all that cool to back it up, I'm not seeing the puns or oneliners being quite as satisfying..

But I guess we already knew that. We always hated the reboot Dante. I guess at least he's better than the original E3 version that WAS the head developer.

Also, on a positive note, I REALLY love the environments! They're brilliant. The idea that Dante is in the real world with real people but gets dragged to Limbo to do fighting helps explain the ridiculousness of it all. And having most of the game in a surreal alternate world gives them the freedom to go all Inception on the city, I love it.

DMC1 had the castle in its gothic, layered complexity, and DMC3 had the city and Temen-ni-grue, both were really well designed by very, very brown.
DMC4 was much less brown, more white and green and stuff, but it was more bland as far as levels, I didn't quite care as much about Nero's stupid town.
This does look like my favorite environment so far!

That said, I hate most of the surrounding story elements. Dante is a wanted terrorist? What? Can't the government like track him down or something then? He's a loving teenage demon hunter demon, he's gotta make lots of noise wherever he goes. And Virgil working with him and "we have a new weapon, his name is Dante!" uggggggggggggh so lame.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Well it's a good thing you're barely in Fortuna then, huh? I mean, if you're gonna complain about DMC4's structure then fine, but it barely had bland locations. It's goes from a town to a village to a snow filled mountain to a castle to a jungle to the Order's base of operations.

It did have a forest, a snowy castle, and the church fortress. But that was my point, it had much more variety and color than the way 3 and 1 had you in the same location the whole time, and how they were brown. I conceded that first! But I only then meant to say, they felt bland in that they weren't very memorable, I don't remember as much about the jungle and the snow and the castle as I do the castle and the city/tem-en-ni-gru of 1 and 3. But then again that could be massive perception bias because I've played so much more of DMC1 and DMC3, and I just didn't care for DMC4's story as much (though loved its combat and graphics and everything else, so it was fine, action games story isn't everything)

quote:

"[DmC] is the first game I've written, cast and directed myself. If I do my job right, you should be seeing a story of Dante that breaks the myth that all videogame stories are trite and will never stand up to the best that theatre and film have to offer."

Hooooly poo poo. This guy's distortion of reality, misunderstanding of the state of the industry, and tremendous overestimation of his own abilities... it rivals that of even Molyneux. The way he so clearly wants to make a movie, I'm now afraid this is gonna be like MGS4.

Unskippable cutscenes? Oh dear god. :suicide:

Wut.

NT
Wat are u doin
NT
Stahp

Seriously, this is supposed to make us rethink the state of games as art? Holy gently caress is somebody seriously deluded.

Also, am I the only one spergy enough to be bothered Mundus is in full clothing? Its not like I want to see him shirtless or anything x_x

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 14, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Don't worry, the majoirty of cutscenes are skippable, except for a few cases to mask loading, and some specific cutscenes (like Dante pulling out the camera eyes, or using the demon pull on the Slurm Queen.)

Ah, cool.

Hm. I'm still not sure if I should buy this, enjoy the levels and the action and mostly skip the story, or if I should skip it entirely and just give the HD collection a solid replay.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 14, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

notZaar posted:

How about I don't do that because I don't play fighting games. I know for a drat fact I would have enjoyed seeing "Judgement Cut End" for the first time in the game fresh without knowing about it beforehand.
Games like Wonderful 101 and MGR are way more enjoyable when you can appreciate the climax finishers for the first time as you're playing, for me it's a big part of the experience. And besides it's not like I'm closing the thread or telling people what or what not to post so why do you even give a poo poo.

What the gently caress

Pesky Splinter posted:

Looks like the Japanese are getting a special special edition:

Pizza Box Edition

gently caress I actually want Pizza Edition. :allears:

Jon Do posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought this thread was archived, so I'm going to repost what I just posted in the Chat thread:

Devil May Cry 3 has mods? I dunno if anyone knows about this, but there are some pretty bitchin mods that caused me to reinstall it. Hint: Downsample from 4k. Some textures look old, others scale much better.

Style Switcher
- binds the dpad to switching you between trickster, etc. Also adds a lot of features, noticably removing the fog and stuff like that. Lots of options, fairly varied. You can change certain moves to be cancellable and things like that. There's an xinput fix so that modern controllers work flawlessly without joy2key now. Full analogue. By default you start with all moves and styles, but not items... think that's toggleable. I'm cool with it.

Mod Forum, mostly skins
- Forum layout is difficult, and many not worth downloading, but depending on your taste there are HQ retextures and a UI (though it's not the prettiest, hopefully someone replaces it). Model replacements, largely from the later parts of the series.

I don't know whether this is of interest to anyone anymore but I'm quite excited. I haven't played it properly since my PS2 broke and it's still a drat good game. It looks much better than I expected, downsampled and with the fog removed and lighting/gamma fixed. e: Oh, yeah, you can change the battle music now. Yeah.

Are these for the PC Port of DMC3, I assume? That port is hot garbage so I'm not sure its worth the effort of setting those mods up in the first place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mulgar posted:

The Style Switcher is for DMC3, but I've heard it fixes a lot of the issues with that port.
Almost all of the Skins are for DMC4. They're worth a look, some of them are pretty great.

Okay that's pretty baller.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jon Do posted:

No more loving with Joy2Key only to get 8-direction movement.

Yeah that was the killer for me. I could stomach the low resolution if it wasn't for the horrible horrible control setup.

I'll have to play with those mods then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'd rather a DmC Dante costume with the description; "Put this on, and you'll be laughed outta bars from here to Tokyo".

Promising news though :unsmith:

How about instead we reskin random marionettes to have black hair and gothic clothes? Marionettes are appropriately weak and lovely.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'd rather the developers weren't petty, but that's just me :shrug:

Don't worry, I'm salty enough for the both of us :cheeky:

• Locked thread