Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I have played games like Bayonetta and MGR, but I've never played a DMC game until today. I had picked up DMC4 on Steam at some point of my life, and I finally decided to install it and give it a shot. I'm glad Human Mode lets me make a lot of mistakes, since I'm not really "getting" this game yet.

I understand the controls, and I'm understanding the attacks, but something about Nero feels clunky. You slow down a whole lot when you lock on, but I haven't been needing to lock on too much so far at least. He feels kind of slow. In battle I can grab enemies and bring them over, which makes up for Nero's speed, but exploring the maps feels a little like a pain at times.

The jumping is weird, which makes platforming not feel too good. I'm not really seeing too much benefit to revving up Nero's sword. I haven't noticed any significant damage increases, so why slow down and charge it up?

Oh yeah, and the biggest problem for me so far is the dodging. I'm hardly ever locked onto an enemy, so locking on before inputting the dodge command feels unintuitive. I wish it was a simple as Rising's two-button command. I can't remember how you dodge in Bayonetta, but I do remember that dodging felt great in that game. I'm finding that dodging feels weird in DMC4, plus a lot of my dodges turn into jumps for some reason.

This game just feels kind of clunky to me. Bayonetta felt so much smoother. Is there something here I'm doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh, you mean Bayonetta? That game was pretty rad.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Pomp posted:

Oh, is it time for lewd dantes?

Source http://raeoffrecord.tumblr.com/archive
What!? I didn't think I was into dudes! What the hell is going on!? Why is Dante so pretty!?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was thinking about the massive shithole Capcom have gotten themselves into, and how it'd be a good idea to rebuild positive PR. When I was thinking about what they could do with DMC, I figured that of course they should make a new one to further establish that they're dropping DmC. And that led to how they should outsource it to Platinum, since they know what they're doing, and... Okay, what I'm trying to say here is:

I'd be totally down for DMC X Bayonetta.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm getting the feeling that this is just a quick cash-in for Platinum, considering how much their games don't sell. Kinda like what Suda51 used to do in between games before he stopped making them.

I mean, it could be good, Platinum (arguably) hasn't done wrong yet, but that doesn't mean they can't. And, to be honest, the game doesn't look that great. At the very least, maybe kinda sorta hopefully but not really this will open the doors for a Kill la Kill game.

or Jojo. (no it won't)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This thread has taught me that Ninja Gaiden Black is the only (arguably) good Ninja Gaiden. I only have the vanilla one, and I could never get past that dinosaur thing, like, three levels in. How the gently caress do you play these games?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The main problem with DMC4 is that half the game is just the first half of the game again. Aside from that, the combat is at its best.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

Street Fighter 5: Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.
I'm okay with this.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Brad Shoemaker was super into DmC. Keep in mind that Brad Shoemaker likes DOTA and shouldn't be considered credible.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The time has come, and so have I.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Monaghan posted:

well it looks like lady's original custom is modified so that they can keep showing a ridiculous amount of cleavage.
Sorry, are you trying to say something about my wife?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

My favorite incarnation of Vergil is the one where he goes by "Nelo Angelo"

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

You gotta be stylish as gently caress or die trying

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I love Devil May Cry

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Nah, Dante is just going to do Dante things like surf on enemies and preform Shakespeare while Tameem just utters "gently caress you" in a more confused manner.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Honestly, I'm okay with this. I think more games should be preserved on steam. I like having to play through an older favorite without having to dig out a console.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Onimusha is kind of a problem, since the series uses likenesses from real actors, (or just straight-up inserts them, like in 3,) and Capcom will have to pay everyone royalties.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's not really a matter of price. It's a matter of whether Capcom wants to even bother covering royalties.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Magil of Shadow posted:

And poor Dante, a great show to watch, and no pizza to kick back and enjoy it with.
And thus we see Dante's true motivations behind DMC4

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

It worked for Rayman Origins, cause Ubisoft threatened to cancel BG&E2 if it didn't sell well.

Then they just had Ancel make Rayman Legends which they delayed for eight months and it sold like poo poo.
And then BG&E2 just flat out phased from existence.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Well, okay, I recall some years ago Ancel saying we wouldn't see BG&E2 for a while because the current technology wasn't good enough for it. But now we're around two years into next gen, and there hasn't been word on the game in years. But if Last Guardian and loving Shenmue III can show up again, I wouldn't give up all hope.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

drat, that's unfortunate.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

There's a quit to desktop thing on the title screen I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

RBX posted:

DmC already flopped again unless there's a huge silent cult following.
One of my friends is super into it, but I dunno how much of that is just to spite me.

Also game journos loved it for some reason.

• Locked thread