Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The other thing about God of War's combat is that while it has a much lower skill threshold than DMC, it's got more meat to it than some people think--so while you can just get away with triangle-triangle-triangle if you're boring, you can also remember to use other moves in the right context that make fights end faster and look cool as hell. It's simple, but it remains fun and satisfying. Compare this to, like, the latest Castlevania (which I did enjoy), which tries to do God of War and does -okay- but the combat really doesn't feel very directed or satisfying in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Dante's character description is "Daddy Issues."

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
God, the current Japanese game industry is the biggest group of self-flagellants since the Black Death.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

It would also help them a great deal to not stick their foot in mouth in interviews, and talk about the drat gameplay not how they've "improved"... the character of Dante.

In the end, Dante's just an avatar for the player to do cool poo poo. I honestly couldn't care less how lovely his fictional life is, or how angsty he is, or how full of vengance he is to society, or how great that tale apparently is. We just want him killing things in extremely cool ways :black101:

I understand why they're doing this. Everyone's overreaction when this title was announced was about Dante. They changed Dante! He has black hair now! He looks like the lead designer! Boo hoo hoo hoo. There was so much angst about this, how could they not think that people actually give a poo poo about Dante outside of how he plays?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Because if they think that people disliking the new design means they wanted a serious story about Dante, they seriously misunderstood the complaints.

I have no doubt that the story in this game will be just as slight as in any other Devil May Cry, but in terms of pre-release hype and marketing, as far as they're concerned, they're still in damage control. If fans had made as much of a stink about how slow and chunky the gameplay looked instead of letting those complaints be a rumbly undercurrent to the wails of rage about Dante's new coat and badittude, we'd probably have more substantive information about gameplay by now.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
DMC1 has a rotten camera. No matter how much else in the game is excellent, the camera placement is just absolutely horrible in a way that makes DMC3 and 4 better by default for me.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I never really used Gunslinger because it brings up bad memories of killing everything with guns in DMC2.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Devil May Cry fans to Ninja Theory: "Now you've really crossed the line."

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

quote:

Stinger : Double tap foward on the joy stick

What the fuuuuck? Has anyone anywhere ever enjoyed a game mechanic that involved 'double tapping' a button to do anything? It's annoying even in Kirby for God's sake.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Did earlier games have double-tapping to activate Stinger as an option? I didn't even realize. I use stinger all the time, though, and this one piece of news just made me go from "I guess I'll check this game out eventually" to "gently caress this poo poo" in my expectations.

I'm having flashbacks to playing Circle of the Moon (double tap to run, p.s., you always want to run!) on the Gamecube's GBA Player using a Gamecube's analog stick. Not good times.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Fans of the series, put your fears to rest. Different though he may look, this is definitely the same Kratos we've come to know and love over the years.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

quote:

I try to switch weapons mid combo which works fine but even if the combo is the same botton sequence switching weapons restarts the combo so no mixing and matching weapons even with the same combo

The way the Demon and Angel forms are set up are somewhat counter intuetive when you actually get your hands on it.

The game is not as responceve in certain areas. For example: When I was trying to use the angle dash I found that I wouldn't;

Similar things happened when dudging

You HAVE TO be facing the thing, ledge, or enemy you want to graple or nothing will happen. If you can't see it on screen it doesn't matter if you're right infront of it, you won't graple it. I fell off the edge more than a few times fighting poison because of this.

I was floating right under a blue crystal during one of the 'kill the camera sequences' and D wouldn't grapple till I moved back and shifted the camera to see the drat thing.

Canceling isn't available all the time.

DT isn't as helpful as I'd hope. From what I saw the only real uses for the DT were A) to recover health and B) to launge all enemies into the air. I saw no other uses for it

I didn't hate the plataforming elements

Stinger is not as easy to pull of as previous titles. There was just a big difference from the original way to do it that made it very hard to do.

In DT killing enemies gets you more of those slo-mo kills. I didn't like that, it broke the tempo of the fight and was more distraction than anything.

Wow, this game sounds like a real piece of poo poo!

quote:

it's a vast improvement on DMC4.

:what:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The cognitive dissonance is astounding.
He's describing clear problems with the game mechanics and then blaming himself for it because holy poo poo he got to play the new Devil May Cry demo, guys! and it has some good stuff in it, so maybe the bad stuff is just 'cause he was tired or doing it wrong? Probably.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Yeah, I was indifferent to the character redesign and the tone change (i.e., xtreme fuckwords) and the social commentary idiocy.

The other games had this really weird "Japanese anime fantasy pretends to be rock-and-roll but can't decide if that means 'metal' or 'punk'" thing going on that I never really got, so whatever. No great loss, just replacing one kind of middle-school cool with another.

Everything about the gameplay that's come out in the past couple months has just looked terrible, though. :(

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

DMC4 had a few awkward platforming sections too - there's one where Nero has to stand on platforms, and wait for others to spawn while being attacked by some really annoying enemies, and it's basically padding.

I didn't mind those parts, but I loving hated DMC4's platforming when it involved the grappling hook arm thing. I think God of War's platforming is, like, minimum benchmark for a brawler game. If you can't match that or do better, then don't even bother.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
If it were a new IP I'd be thinking "well here's a game that looks like some Dante's Inferno poo poo and that I will never ever buy or rent" as opposed to "oh it's a new Devil May Cry maybe I'll buy it when it's in the 10 dollar bin, 'cause it looks like it's gonna be pretty bad."

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Alteisen posted:

Platinum releases statement regarding Bayonettas exclusivity.

http://www.destructoid.com/platinum-games-explains-bayonetta-2-wii-u-exclusivity-235008.phtml

They don't wish to alienate fans and strengthen the franchise, so naturally the answer to this is to make it exclusive for a brand new console. :v:

Read between the lines: without Nintendo's backing, a sequel wouldn't have happened at all.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Well, if there's one thing Megaman is known for, it's its trademark escape missions.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
"How do you fight this type of evil? This is the type of evil we wanted to explore in DmC."

By... hitting it with a sword, apparently?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Mmm, yes, if there's one thing the Devil May Cry series is known for, it's its scholarly and accurate representation of the various mythologies and folklores what it done took names from.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Considering his hair still goes white in demon form or whatever I doubt that's actually "satirizing" (what?) the fan reaction so much as it's a predictable bit of characterization that symbolically foreshadows how he will have to learn to accept his ~true nature~ in a series of very Art cutscenes.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Still images are one thing. If there's no confusion during gameplay then Dante's redesign is no problem (and please don't bring up that stupid Sequlitis Castlevania video to 'prove' how characters need to have drastic contrast and 'pop'). Those awful promo paintings aside--which half of you seem to love anyway--the art direction in this project is one of its high points.

Continuing to complain about the redesign just feeds into the narrative that the previous fans of this series who are skeptical about NT's approach are just dumb scared babies who can't let go of their animes. It's fine. If you thought Dante previous to this didn't look stupider than hell, or that the stories weren't cringeworthy and try-hard and overly serious in places, then you weren't paying attention. The real reason--the only reason--why previous fans of the series should be concerned about this game--and they should be concerned about it--is that the gameplay systems as shown so far and as described so far are severely questionable.

Yeah, Dante's punk-rock-by-committee and Vergil looks like a derpy goon, and that's funny to an extent, but please don't hold the series that gave us "lightning bolt corset" Trish and Arius and 3/4 of the cast of DMC4 as some kind of ideal from which we have now fallen so far because Dante has a grey coat.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think you're missing the point- this series is very much about being gaudy and goofy and not concerning itself with making it's characters look fashion-conscious.

This statement brought to you by Diesel® jeans!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Uncle Wemus posted:

Its funny because 2 was the worst in the series and was the one that had Diesel jeans.

Or is that :thejoke:

The joke is that the games have always been obsessed with looking cool. It has a Style meter that you use to build Style and are graded on how Stylish you are. DMC2's Diesel thing is not an aberration. Disbelieve it if you want, but DMC3 Dante is supposed to look cool.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

I thought this was why the issue was being brought up. Short of the videos where he's in direct sunlight (the orangey city ones), it's like he tends to fade into the background slightly. Without even going into comparisions with the Old Dante design, a very dark colour like his jacket gets lost in some of the very greyish/dark blue/green levels. A faded rusty red on his lapels and hoodie isn't gonna cut it when most of the time you're going to be looking at his back.

Have the people who've played it said anything about losing him in the action? If they have, then it's a problem.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Neo Rasa posted:

Devil May Cry is a pretty interesting series actually in this respect. The original was one of the last major games where you had a lot of agency with regards to how you navigate the game world instead of having tons of context sensitive points to do specific actions from.

[Citation Needed]

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

TyroneGoldstein posted:

You know, reading this thread...the parallels between this game and Lords of Shadow is pretty eerie.

How so? Previous 3D Castlevanias received lukewarm receptions at best and even huge fans of the series like myself knew it was starving to death on the DS, no matter how much we liked the games. Except for the second game, Devil May Cry has always been a resounding critical success, and was a much bigger commercial success than Castlevania had ever been. The only thing these situations have in common are that they're both series from floundering Japanese developers that have been outsourced to foreign studios.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I bought DMC2 basically sight unseen after DMC1. v:shobon:v

Man did I regret that. I seriously finished everything in the game hoping for it to miraculously get good. Unlocking Trish was the closest to a good part.

Yeah, I saw a bunch of bad reviews but I was like "the first one was so good, there's no way those reviews are right. They couldn't have fallen off that far." Ha, ha, ha.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

notZaar posted:

Nero's DT buster on alto angelos has him saying "gently caress you", I think. It's hard to hear but I can't imagine what else it could be.

Then again, Nero is meant to be a petulant, angry young man, so whatever. It's not like anybody likes Nero anyways.

Speaking as someone who's probably said ten times before in this thread that I've never particularly gotten into the stories or characters in DMC, I actually did like Nero because of the contrast between him and Dante. I remember some part where Nero's barely conscious and getting absorbed into Sanctus or something, and he still manages to give Dante the middle finger after Dante gives him some egregiously anime pep-talk about believing in himself. That was legitimately funny. Profanity and vulgarity can be funny, but "I'm going to rip off your head and poo poo down your neck" from the demo boss here is the textbook example of trying way too hard and missing the mark because of it.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I don't know, as far as I'm concerned, the gameplay looks like utter pabulum. Without the name behind it I doubt it would have made any waves at all, even to the point of selling 'decently.' Did Dante's Inferno do well? Because over and over that's what comes to mind when I watch gameplay videos, and even then it had the whole "okay how did they turn The Divine Comedy into a beat-em-up" factor to inflate interest a bit.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
It's so loving weird. Like--just to think of another series reboot--when Lords of Shadow came out, the reviews didn't do a point-by-point analysis comparing it to Lament of Innocence to see how it stacked up against that series' first PS2 game. And it seems like every magazine is doing this DMC1 comparison thing, like they got a talking points memo about it from Capcom or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

PoshAlligator posted:

I don't know why they avoided continuing the story after DMC2 for so long. You could easily hand-wave the bad characterisation and stuff by either
a) having Dante only mention coming back from Hell on the motorcycle briefly,

I always thought DMC4 came after 2 until someone here posted it was Japanese guidebook canon! that 2 was still the last in the series partly because there's already a line somewhere in the game about Dante having come back from Hell. But he pretty much goes to Hell in every one except 4, doesn't he? It' [wa]s a silly series and I don't think they need to address it at all anyway.

• Locked thread