Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rencall
May 30, 2006

My existence is that which you fear.

keep punching joe posted:

Don't be silly, Gandalf is some sort of higher being, he's not going to waste his time boning some elf maiden, dude has poo poo to do ridding the world of Sauron.

Personally there is no way I'd have the motivation and gusto to chase after a renegade deity for thousands of years without boning large amounts of elf maidens in the process...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

So what all is confirmed for the LOTR Special Edition?

Replace intro shot in FOTR with new footage from Hobbit
Update/elaborate on stone trolls in FOTR
Reshoot and extend Gollum scene in Moria
Superimpose latest dwarf fashions on Gimli-clones
Rontos in the foreground of Rivendell establishing shot
Five more endings in ROTK

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Don't be silly, Gandalf is some sort of higher being, he's not going to waste his time boning some elf maiden, dude has poo poo to do ridding the world of Sauron.

Tom Bombadil would like a word with you.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

As would Melian and Thingol...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Do Wizards even have dicks, do they eat and therefore do they also poop? This is the sort of backstory Tolkien never went into and I for one hope that Peter Jackson explores in detail.

edit: I never finished The Silmarillion so maybe this was covered.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rencall posted:

It's expected they'd have some history together. Gandalf is like a bazillion years old, and Galadriel is close behind him. Maybe a thousand years ago Gandalf wasn't sporting a ZZ top beard and he had the hots for her before he started looking like homeless santa clause.

No Gandalf has always looked like that. He was put in the body of an old man to keep him humble.

Plus I'm siding with no way does he stoop to that level. Maiar boning Elves is akin to a scientist boning a chimpanzee in my book.

Unless of course your book regarding Elves is written by Raymond E. Feist, then it goes without saying that Maiar sexually enslave Elves and destroy them on a moments whim.

edit: and we're through the looking glass.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Drighton posted:

So what all is confirmed for the LOTR Special Edition?

Replace intro shot in FOTR with new footage from Hobbit
Update/elaborate on stone trolls in FOTR
Reshoot and extend Gollum scene in Moria
Superimpose latest dwarf fashions on Gimli-clones
Rontos in the foreground of Rivendell establishing shot
Five more endings in ROTK

Oh god. Please don't let this happen.

More ideas:
Turn Bilbo's face into a digital composite of Ian Holm and Martin Freeman in all five movies
Add a scene in lothlorien where Gandalf visits his old lover, Galadriel, in blue ghost form

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 22, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The Gandalf-Galadriel scene has got to be either 1) Galadriel comforting Gandalf who is remorseful for sending a hobbit to get eaten by spiders and dragons. or 2) fortelling that Gandalf is going to be doing the heavy lifting against Necromancer/Sauron, and that he and not Sauruman is the best emissary of the Valar 3) getting flirty to score some pipeweed.

If you look, she is obviously speaking. I assume it's sort of like when she rubbed Aragorn's face with her hands in Fellowship. She's just being an ethereal lady.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Do Wizards eat and therefore do they also poop?

If you take wizard poop and dry it out and put it in a box you could use it to fertilize the whole Shire if you use it sparingly.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

A wizard needs to have his hobbies. :smaug:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I saw this and thought it was pretty funny...

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I think part of why Lotro and The Hobbit have and will work so well is that Jackson is working the old school way with a ton of set pieces and props. Of course there is plenty of CGI, but compare this to George Lucas where almost everything came out of the computer and how soulless the prequels were.

1 year and then another year for part 2.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Hammerstein posted:

Will the year waiting for the first part be worse than the year waiting for part 2?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hammerstein posted:

I think part of why Lotro and The Hobbit have and will work so well is that Jackson is working the old school way with a ton of set pieces and props. Of course there is plenty of CGI, but compare this to George Lucas where almost everything came out of the computer and how soulless the prequels were.

I was watching Fellowship a few weeks ago and I thought the same thing- so much of the visuals come from makeup, miniatures and camera tricks that just makes everything seem so much more real (because it's all physical, handcrafted stuff)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Saw the trailer in 3D (in front of Tintin) today.

Even better than the 2D version online. You can tell how well it is put together compared to the trailers for MIB3 and Titanic 3D.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I can see that they needed to differentiate the dwarfs. I can also see that they needed to hunk some of them up, since you don't really want the hobbit or the wise old sage as the main sources of sex appeal. But the juxtaposition of Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Richard Armitage as Chet Sexydwarf is kind of jarring.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zero One posted:

Saw the trailer in 3D (in front of Tintin) today.

Even better than the 2D version online. You can tell how well it is put together compared to the trailers for MIB3 and Titanic 3D.

I was really bummed that it wasn't on my theater's print of Tintin. Neither was Prometheus :(

However, MIB3 looked like balls and I could barely even tell was in 3D.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I am insanely glad that Ian Holm still has a role in this! :dance:

And hearing new Gollum dialogue...goddamn...I'm starting to remember how I felt after seeing FotR, and thinking "A whole loving YEAR???"

And as far as future fantasy adaptations, put me down for Prydain. In the hands of someone like del Toro, it would be nothing less than loving spectacular.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I always liked Serkis' performance, even if every jackass did try and ruin it with their own terrible impression, and I'm really glad we'll see more Gollum than Smeagol in the Hobbit. Should be a lot more sinister. Can't wait.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I always liked that Bilbo was mostly just a tasty treat to Gollum until the Ring got involved. Nothing more than playing with his food.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I always liked that Bilbo was mostly just a tasty treat to Gollum until the Ring got involved. Nothing more than playing with his food.

Me too. What a fantastic character.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Abnegatus posted:

I ripped the dwarven singing and am giving all my fellow goons access to the tracks. One has an ending dialogue attached to it, the other has it without.

http://soundcloud.com/abnegatus

If this doesn't let you download, just shoot me to another audio hosting site and I'll upload it there.

Way cool, and I appreciate your doing this -- but I can't figure out how the hell to download that thing, and we wants it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hahahah Who bought this? :smaug:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Peter Jackson. The special treat is that we're getting an early look at the design for Smaug!

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Effingham posted:

Way cool, and I appreciate your doing this -- but I can't figure out how the hell to download that thing, and we wants it.

I'll try and upload it to zshare or tindeck later today.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

So, anyone else concerned that Ian Holm seems to be shaking in a wierd way during his close-up, and also that they had to use a stand-in for the opening shot where old Bilbo waves Frodo off?

I love Ian Holm and wish him all the best health - but was shoehorning him into this film really a good idea?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yes?

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

*raises hand*
I was honor bound to buy it for the Otherkin/Fathering 16 Space Dragons thread.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So, anyone else concerned that Ian Holm seems to be shaking in a wierd way during his close-up, and also that they had to use a stand-in for the opening shot where old Bilbo waves Frodo off?

I love Ian Holm and wish him all the best health - but was shoehorning him into this film really a good idea?
Are you sure that's a stand-in? Looks a lot like Ian Holm to me. Also it can very well be that the shaking is a part of his performance, and I don't really consider having him in the movie as 'shoehorning' as such. It's a perfect and easy way to tie the LOTR trilogy to The Hobbit movies by having him be the storyteller.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Are you sure that's a stand-in? Looks a lot like Ian Holm to me. Also it can very well be that the shaking is a part of his performance, and I don't really consider having him in the movie as 'shoehorning' as such. It's a perfect and easy way to tie the LOTR trilogy to The Hobbit movies by having him be the storyteller.

Well now that I think about it, of course it would have to be a stand-in because the Frodo shot was done on location in NZ, whilst Ian Holm remained in London for his bits. And yeah, maybe I'm blowing the shaking thing out of proportion and it is just part of the performance.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

kiimo posted:

If that shot means that Gandalf and Galadriel are in a relationship then Frodo and Sam have been rear end banging in every truck stop bathroom from Bree to the Black Gate.

just sayin that this quote owns

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I am insanely glad that Ian Holm still has a role in this! :dance:

And hearing new Gollum dialogue...goddamn...I'm starting to remember how I felt after seeing FotR, and thinking "A whole loving YEAR???"

And as far as future fantasy adaptations, put me down for Prydain. In the hands of someone like del Toro, it would be nothing less than loving spectacular.

Count me in for the Chronicles of Prydain, the animated Black Cauldron really didn't do the books justice (plus there needed to be 4 more :colbert:)

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
For those who are digging the Misty Mountains song, my heretofore favorite version was done by some nobody nerds: http://www.canopymusic.net/canopy/Misty%20Mountains.mp3

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Effingham posted:

Re-upped and linked, so enjoy:

Free MP3 download: The Dwarves - Misty Mountains.mp3

Free MP3 download: The Dwarves - Misty Mountains (with ending dialogue).mp3

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I have watched the trailer 3 times now and it's so perfect at setting the tune for this movie.

The Hobbit, as a book, was a far more light-hearted tale than Lotr or The Silmarillion, since it was aimed at a younger audience. But given a little imagination the whole content can be turned into a rather nightmarish world, full of haughty elves, murderous goblins, half-mad shapeshifters and tons of other stuff that is out to kill you...I don't even want to think about the spider forest.

And this is where the trailer comes in - notice how light-hearted the setting is when they introduce the dwarves by their names, almost like in a Disney movie. And then they introduce Thorin and he starts the song - and the whole tune of the trailer changes - when every dwarf who rises to join the song, sheds off the Disney costume and takes the appearance of an axe-wielding badass.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The thing with the Hobbit is you know it ends up OK in the end, even if you don't know how. This keeps it a little lighter. Even in the middle of scary stuff, the storytelling is such that the narrator is looking back on events.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
That trailer was incredible. 2012 is jam packed full of awesome movies, but this might be my most anticipated.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

This made me wikipedia Ian Holm and holy poo poo he's 80 years old. I thought he was like 60 or something.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DrPop posted:

This made me wikipedia Ian Holm and holy poo poo he's 80 years old. I thought he was like 60 or something.

Yeah I just did the same after reading your post, it's crazy how old he was even back in Alien.

And yes this trailer is the best trailer. Wish I could see it in 3D but I'm hosed if I'm going to see some piece of poo poo just for a trailer. You yanks are lucky getting it with Tintin, no idea what movie this is attached to in the UK.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The thing with the Hobbit is you know it ends up OK in the end, even if you don't know how. This keeps it a little lighter. Even in the middle of scary stuff, the storytelling is such that the narrator is looking back on events.

You did, of course, note that they framed it this way even in the trailer? Beginning with old Bilbo telling Frodo the complete story of his adventure? I thought it quite interesting that they started it that way, which obviously immediately gives away the fact that Bilbo will survive the adventure just fine, and then we had several quotes in the trailer both from Gandalf and Thorin discussing how dangerous the journey would be for Bilbo and how neither of them can guarantee his safety. Bit contradictory, no? Not that I minded it, because as you said, the book itself is written that way. Not to mention everybody who is familiar with LotR knows that Bilbo survives, so it's not much of a spoiler. Even so, I thought it interesting that they went so far as to establish that in the trailer in extremely clear terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
I always wondered why they started off with The Lord of the Rings adaptations instead of The Hobbit. I feel like The Hobbit was better known at the time.

And why didn't the eagles just fly them to Smaug? (I had to do it)

• Locked thread