Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy poo poo, it's only forty days until this is in theaters. So this is what it felt like for Jesus in the wilderness.

No, this is what it felt like waiting for LOTR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Is there any indication that any elements of The Silmarillion will be incorporated into these movies?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MooselanderII posted:

Is there any indication that any elements of The Silmarillion will be incorporated into these movies?

They dont own the rights to that book so no.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MooselanderII posted:

Only those parts of it which were also featured in the appendices to Lord of the Rings proper.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

There is no way anybody's vision of the Dwarves will match Jackson's because Tolkien's characterisation of them pretty much started and stopped at "he had a yellow hood".

I'm particularly eager to to hear more rage from Warhammer nerds. "WHERE ARE THE BEEEAARDS!?!"

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Not sure if :filez:, but the soundtrack is starting to leak out.

It's quite different in tone, but that LotR "feeling" still comes across, clear as day. Also, it's brillant.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
I feel bad for reading so many spoilers but I can't stop.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

Cross-Section posted:

It's quite different in tone, but that LotR "feeling" still comes across, clear as day. Also, it's brillant.

What language is that in the song? It doesn't sound like anything like Elvish.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Jesus, got goosebumps soon as the vocals started. I'm not sure about the bit after the vocals, but it definitely reminds me of Lord of the Rings.

Octy fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 5, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Cross-Section posted:

Wow - holy poo poo, that did the trick. :gizz:

Also, did anyone else notice the Shelob theme at 2:30? Mirkwood spider stuff surely (fits with the trailer shot of a spider breaking into Radagast's house).

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Now the article that Onering.net pointed us to about the HObbit 48 makes it sound like IMAX and 48fps are mutually exclusive...does anyone know if this is the case? Here is the article:

http://regmovies.com/The-Hobbit-48

It would be nice if you could watch 48fps on an IMAX screen, but I am not sure if this is the case...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

48fps and IMAX are not mutually exclusive and there WILL be showings at 48fps in IMAX theaters.

Got that info straight from the horse's mouth.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

Got that info straight from the horse's mouth.

Talking Horses are par for the course in this world, so I can see that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Talking Horses are par for the course in this world, so I can see that.

I consider myself a close and personal friend of a certain pony who shall remain anonymous, not to drop names or anything.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

kiimo posted:

I consider myself a close and personal friend of a certain pony who shall remain anonymous, not to drop names or anything.

Can you ask your pony if there'll be 48FPS screenings in Australia? I mean, I'll probably see it in 24FPS first but it's nice to have the option since we do have an IMAX theatre in my city.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Gimmedaroot posted:

Now the article that Onering.net pointed us to about the HObbit 48 makes it sound like IMAX and 48fps are mutually exclusive...does anyone know if this is the case? Here is the article:

http://regmovies.com/The-Hobbit-48

It would be nice if you could watch 48fps on an IMAX screen, but I am not sure if this is the case...

Are these the only theaters with the 48FPS, or is this just the Regal theaters?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

GonSmithe posted:

Are these the only theaters with the 48FPS, or is this just the Regal theaters?

As that is a Regal site, I assume it's the Regal theaters that can show it. AMC will probably do something similar, and other chains may tag along if they can show it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As that is a Regal site, I assume it's the Regal theaters that can show it. AMC will probably do something similar, and other chains may tag along if they can show it.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

I just want to know if I'm going to have to get a friend to drive into Boston to see it or not.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Octy posted:

Can you ask your pony if there'll be 48FPS screenings in Australia? I mean, I'll probably see it in 24FPS first but it's nice to have the option since we do have an IMAX theatre in my city.

Imax Sydney is not 48fps, I know that. I really hope somewhere in Sydney is 48fps somewhere, I really want to see it in that.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Wank posted:

Imax Sydney is not 48fps, I know that. I really hope somewhere in Sydney is 48fps somewhere, I really want to see it in that.

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, IMAX projectors are capable of running at 48fps. Alternatively, even if they're not, they can still show the film at 48fps in 3d by running two projectors at the same screen.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

kiimo posted:

I'm taking this as confirmed evidence that Bill will make an appearance.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Tickets are on sale in Australia now. I suppose the rest of the world will do it when they catch up to us future people.

It seems Event Cinemas is showing The Hobbit in 48FPS. They're calling it HFR (High Frame Rate). In fact, I'm finding it hard to find a session that's just a regular screening, at least near me.

Octy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 6, 2012

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

kiimo posted:

Fatty Lumpkins?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Octy posted:

Tickets are on sale in Australia now. I suppose the rest of the world will do it when they catch up to us future people.

It seems Event Cinemas is showing The Hobbit in 48FPS. They're calling it HFR (High Frame Rate). In fact, I'm finding it hard to find a session that's just a regular screening, at least near me.

Is anyone doing 48fps and 3d? It's both or neither for me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All 48fps IMAX are 3D I think.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kiimo posted:

All 48fps IMAX are 3D I think.

Sorry I meant in Australia, we don't get nice things.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is anyone doing 48fps and 3d? It's both or neither for me.

It seems to be the case. Event George Street has got all their screenings in 3D and 48FPS. IMAX is doing 24FPS it seems.

Octy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Oh, they have a new TV spot that has a couple of slightly new shots that show a sequence that will get all the purist spergs' knickers in a twist, namely:

When the Company climbs the Misty Mountains, they end up unwittingly climbing up a Stone Giant. Then the giant starts moving and the Company are holding on for dear life as they are taken for a "giant ride". A bit like an extreme version of Pippin climbing up Treebeard.

http://youtu.be/MoG51YA-7qc

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Octy posted:

It seems to be the case. Event George Street has got all their screenings in 3D and 48FPS. IMAX is doing 24FPS it seems.

gently caress yeah! Thanks.

Sydney IMAX Facebook page says 24fps only.

Looks like no boxing day midnight screenings though which means I won't see this until the new year. I can wait. Nowhere near as excited for this as I was LOTR.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just bought my tickets. 11am on Boxing Day. Still 12 days after the rest of world, of course. :smithicide:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Octy posted:

Just bought my tickets. 11am on Boxing Day. Still 12 days after the rest of world, of course. :smithicide:

I can't find any 48fps in my city, we have no IMAX :(

Hopefully they'll be announced closer to the date.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 7, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Oh, they have a new TV spot that has a couple of slightly new shots that show a sequence that will get all the purist spergs' knickers in a twist, namely:

When the Company climbs the Misty Mountains, they end up unwittingly climbing up a Stone Giant. Then the giant starts moving and the Company are holding on for dear life as they are taken for a "giant ride". A bit like an extreme version of Pippin climbing up Treebeard.

http://youtu.be/MoG51YA-7qc

Hang on, why would Tolkien purists sperge about mountain giants when Middle Earth has balrogs, trolls, dragons, giant spiders, etc etc? What's so out there about giants?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Maybe because that entire sequence wasn't in the book.

There was a bit about giants throwing boulders at eachother that was said in passing but that's about it.

I'm almost positive that since it's a retelling by Bilbo himself that he equated the sounds of thunder and the earth shaking to being said giants.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Hang on, why would Tolkien purists sperge about mountain giants when Middle Earth has balrogs, trolls, dragons, giant spiders, etc etc? What's so out there about giants?

The Stone Giants are only mentioned once, in the misty mountains section of the Hobbit. Since they're not mentioned anywhere else in the middle earth books purists prefer to dismiss them as not a proper part of the mythos (since The Hobbit was originally unrelated) or try to explain them away as a metaphor for a storm. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and requires this one passage of a book full of literal dragons, goblins and wizards to be completely out-of-sync with the rest of the work. That, and Thorin openly worries about being picked up by the Giants and used as a football.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
People need to stop treating it like Herodotus, it's a children's fantasty story.
But a drat good one.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

There is no way anybody's vision of the Dwarves will match Jackson's because Tolkien's characterisation of them pretty much started and stopped at "he had a yellow hood".

True, he didn't go into much detail about the way the dwarves looked. I haven't read the book in over a decade, but I still remember all the names of the dwarves, as well as some minor characteristics Tolkien chose to provide them with.

Thorin - The leader. He's prideful and warlike, but honorable.
Balin - He's the most friendly to Bilbo, and the most thoughtful dwarf. Eventually dies leading a party into Moria.
Dwalin - Brother of Balin. Don't remember much else.
Oin - Brother of Gloin. Probably the elder brother, but not sure.
Gloin - Father of Gimli. I always pictured him as being very much like Gimli.
Bifur - Brother of the three "funny" dwarves. Probably will be comic relief.
Bofur - Another "funny dwarf" brother of Bifur and Bombur.
Bombur - The last funny dwarf brother of Bofur and Bifur, he's the fat one.
Dori - Don't remember much about him, he's the brother of Ori and Nori.
Nori - Brother of Dori and Ori, not much else to go on.
Ori - Brother of Dori and Nori. They're just background characters.
Fili - One of the younger dwarves. Adventurous and energetic.
Kili - Brother of Fili, pretty much fits the same description as his sibling.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Some new pics, including one of the infamous Overbite Elf.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=69760

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

ZeusJupitar posted:

The Stone Giants are only mentioned once, in the misty mountains section of the Hobbit. Since they're not mentioned anywhere else in the middle earth books purists prefer to dismiss them as not a proper part of the mythos (since The Hobbit was originally unrelated) or try to explain them away as a metaphor for a storm. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and requires this one passage of a book full of literal dragons, goblins and wizards to be completely out-of-sync with the rest of the work. That, and Thorin openly worries about being picked up by the Giants and used as a football.

I tend to believe the Stone-giants are actual creatures of Middle-earth, although I never envisaged them as being literally made of stone. I personally think that Jackson's design for these is very bland and obvious, as if he just worked entirely within the parameters of that single one-line mention that Tolkien provided. I'd have gone with something a bit more interesting. Shadow of the Colossus-interesting. Oh well.

Anyway, my point with the sperg comment is that the Company never got close to the giants in the books - they just saw them in the distance throwing rocks at each other. Here they are literally "all up in their poo poo", as the young 'uns say. For the record, it doesn't bother me; it's a minor departure at best.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For the record, it doesn't bother me; it's a minor departure at best.

Yeah I would have thought these people would be more concerned about all the Gandalf poo poo that isn't in the book than what is probably a few minutes long scene of some cool giant peril. I'm slightly concerned myself, as a lot of the non-Tolkien bits in the LOTR movies were a bit weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

marktheando posted:

Yeah I would have thought these people would be more concerned about all the Gandalf poo poo that isn't in the book than what is probably a few minutes long scene of some cool giant peril. I'm slightly concerned myself, as a lot of the non-Tolkien bits in the LOTR movies were a bit weak.

But Tolkien did actually write all the Gandalf poo poo; it's in the RotK Appendices, and Unfinished Tales. Not in an enormously descriptive manner, but it's pretty much there.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 7, 2012

• Locked thread