Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Scans of a new article and photos from Total Film magazine:
http://heirsofdurin.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/new-hobbit-article-in-total-film/

That shot of Thorin is REALLY giving me a Gowron vibe. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

ComposerGuy posted:

I refuse to see this as a bad thing.

I don't, either. I know that Thorin is going to make those Misty Mountain goblins experience Bij!

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

magimix posted:

The Silmarillion :colbert:

I would watch the poo poo out of movie based on the antics of Fëanor.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

I can't believe we have to wait a whole feckin' year.

Oh, Lord. THE PAIN!

That trailer -- especially the dwarf song -- was AWESOME.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Abnegatus posted:

I ripped the dwarven singing and am giving all my fellow goons access to the tracks. One has an ending dialogue attached to it, the other has it without.

http://soundcloud.com/abnegatus

If this doesn't let you download, just shoot me to another audio hosting site and I'll upload it there.

Way cool, and I appreciate your doing this -- but I can't figure out how the hell to download that thing, and we wants it.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

hepatizon posted:

For those who are digging the Misty Mountains song, my heretofore favorite version was done by some nobody nerds: http://www.canopymusic.net/canopy/Misty%20Mountains.mp3

drat. They sound too girly. I can see the potential, but that needs to be sung by people in the bass-baritone range. People with huevos.

Thanks, man!

Nuggan posted:

Radagast is alive during Lord of the Rings :colbert: and I will be angry if this is changed.

Hey, the bastard killed off Haldir, remember?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Bingo. My dad read me The Hobbit when I was no bigger THAN a Hobbit. Then in the summer of 2001 he handed me Fellowship of the Ring. "This is a sequel to the Hobbit. A movie is coming out this Christmas. Read the book beforehand."

When I was in the sixth grade, our English teacher, Mr. Compton (bless you Mr. C, wherever you are!) read to us after our lunch period. He first read to us "The Great Escape." (!)

The next book he read to us was "The Hobbit."

I'll never forget that, and I'll love that man till I die.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

I always thought Tom Bombadil was just a hairsbreadth away from sitting back and saying, "whoa, DUUUuuuuuUUuude. That's some harsh stuff!" and letting out the most incredible breath of pipe-hemp smoke.

I think the writers of "Bored of the Rings" pretty much nailed his character.

It's not a far jump from

"Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow!
Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!"

to

"Toke-a-lid! Smoke a lid! Pop the mescalino!
Stash the hash! Gonna crash! make mine methedrino!
Hop a hill! Pop a pill! For old Tim Benzedrino!"

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Timby posted:

Why were you being read to when you were in the sixth grade?

It was a reward for the class behaving, and it was just... entertaining. Not that many kids were readers in the large sense, and Mr. C. was trying to expose them to some good stuff.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I graduated from high school the year it came out, and it still makes me feel old thinking about it. People I graduated with have kids and careers now, and I'm like, "gently caress that, I'm still youn--poo poo I'm almost 30." Still, the nostalgia is one of the major reasons I'm excited for The Hobbit. Surely it won't be all that similar in tone with LOTR, but seeing all of the characters again looking exactly the same is some crazy poo poo.

Screw you, I'm FIFTY. :argh:

I also agree that "Beren and Luthien" would be a great flick....

But, drat, I wanna see Fëanor go all batshit.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Nilbop posted:

I disagree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlR_UEs4q9g

This is crap. In fact I intensely disliked every voice Rankin Bass vomited into our ears, but this one in particular bugged me. Smaug is not a drill boss from the American midwest. I don't know what I expected him to sound like, but this isn't it.

I always thought the best Smaug voice actor would be Morgan Sheppard, (Gen. Trimble in Gettysburg, the first Soul Hunter in Bab5,).

Morgan Sheppard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbo8cs58oY

Soul hunter is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG0rjg74Zyk a nice talk with Sheridan at 15:00 but I love the exchange with Delenn starting at 20:00

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

This talk of necromancers sounds pretty awesome, is this all within the hobbit book? I might have to finally get off my rear end and read it.

I don't see a problem with him being "the Necromancer." No more of a problem than some guy only being known as "the Doctor" or "the Master," or some chick as "the Rani."

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

canuckanese posted:

According to the appendices Gimli would have been 62 at the time of the battle. Not sure about Legolas but probably 1,000something.

Which is why I always twitched when Gimli said, "Let 'em go lad" LAD? Legolas was hundreds of times his age.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

YOU..... CAN NOT....... PASS!

SHALL not. :eng101:

Edit: crap, beaten. :(

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

How could they not have Brian Blessed play Beorn? :(

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Kemchimikemkem posted:

haha, what do teachers know anyway? My Grade 6 teacher was a really cool guy though and introduced me to Tolkien when he read The Hobbit to the class. I remember loving it so much, afterwards I was asking him about it and he was like there are THREE MORE BOOKS, A DIRECT SEQUEL. Holy poo poo, blew my little kid mind hearing that, and of course I went straight to the school library and took out Fellowship of the Ring. And it's still Bilbo but he's older and it's about his ring and nephew etc. Loved those books.

Was your teacher Mr. Compton? That was MY sixth-grade teacher who read it to US. :)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Someone just sent me this link which I thought was worth sharing. I dare anyone to listen to the whole 16:46 without :qq:

http://youtu.be/ME5urFBf0kk

Way cool, but I want my dwarven music to be deep, bass and baritone.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Above Our Own posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs6WYlXjAuI May be more your speed then.

Eh. This one, however....

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Nuggan posted:

THANK you. No one ever knows the difference.

Heralds do. :)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Viridiant posted:

I remember Tolkien writing pretty much exactly that in one of his letters. The influence of the ring was so strong at the Cracks of Doom that no one could have resisted it.

That the ring was destroyed was entirely by a chance brought about by pity. Something that I don't see people bring up enough is just how screwed Middle Earth really was. Sauron even without the ring had the forces and influence to conquer all of Middle Earth. Had Gollum not slipped, had Bilbo and Frodo not shown pity, the army outside the Black Gate and then the rest of Middle Earth would have been absolutely screwed.

All the more reason Isildur was such a major dick.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Was Fellowship the first time a movie did the "The bad guy is such a loving BEAST that when he gets stabbed through the gut he just grabs the weapon and hauls himself closer" spot?

Mordred and Arthur had that same thing in Excalibur (which you need to see right away if you haven't yet) over twenty years ago.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Gimmedaroot posted:

Most of you probably know this, but the cool thing about Excalibur is the fact that it was made because director John Boorman was originally picked to make Lord of the Rings, but got hosed over in the rights. So he said: "Fuggit, lets just make a bad assed heavily fantasy oriented Arthurian movie that's dark and atmospheric." It is more magical and more graphically violent than any Arthurian movie that can before it.

Yup. And the actress playing Ygraine -- the duchess of Cornwall who Uther sleeps with to produce Arthur -- is his DAUGHTER. Imagine directing your daughter in a balls-out-nekkid sex scene. Eeep.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

However, he also bought Arwen's horse as a gift for Jane Abbot, Liv Tyler's riding double. She had fallen in love with the horse but couldn't afford it so he gave it to her as a surprise gift. :3:

THat was one of my favorite "feel good" moments in all the hours of supplementary materials -- watching Jane Abbot talk about how she put in a buy request on the horse, but KNEW she was WAY WAY WAY down on the totem pole list of people who might get him, and then she heard that someone "higher up the food chain" had bought the horse outright. And then Viggo goes up to her and gives him to her. :3

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Isn't there a Goblin King in the Hobbit!?

:shepface:

Oh, man. That would be the greatest ninja casting EVER.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Lasagna posted:

I am not sure but I think that Isengard is the name of the place (narrow valley with river Isen and such), while Orthanc is the proper name of the tower.
By the way I always thought that the title had a double meaning, cause also Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul were confronting each other

Isengard is what the humans call it, and Orthanc is what the elves call it.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Not exactly - Isengard (Angrenost if you're an elf) is the whole fortress and semi-artificial valley, Orthanc is the tower.

Argh! Dammit, that's right. I wish I could curse in Sindarin.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I can only assume that, had J.R.R. been able to finish his works, the unabridged Silmarillion would show that immediately afterwards Tulkas turned to the other Valar and said "Remind me again why we didn't do that ten thousand years ago like I said we should?" and then Manwe tells him to stop being such a smartass.

I love your take on this. Mine is similar, but ends with Tuklas turning away from Manwe and the others and going off to Valar equivalent of the fridge for the Valar equivalent of a beer and muttering, "dicks."

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

webmeister posted:

Man, Silmarillion just has so many awesome moments. Even just thinking about that passage gives me goosebumps.

Exactly. Which is why I >boggle< every time someone says that the Silmarillion would be a poo poo film. There are TONS of great things in there.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Oh, of course it needs to be a serial. There are so many stories that could be lifted out of it. Beren and Luthien ALONE would make a great flick.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

redshirt posted:

Sure, Orome scared a few, but most gathered round to hear some awesome campfire stories of huntin' n' poo poo.

"...and hanging from the horse's bridle... was a STAINLESS MITHRIL HOOK~!"

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Oh, God. Check out the powerful orchestral version of the dwarves' "Far Over the Misty Mountains" chant that kicks in at about the 12-minute mark.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

FrensaGeran posted:

Then he raised up both his hands, and in one chord, deeper than the Abyss, higher than the Firmament, piercing as the light of the eye of Iluvatar, he sold a lemon.

Oh, hell, yes.

That works.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

I remember all the LotR soundtracks being released well before the film.

Ditto for the Star Wars soundtracks. I remember all the hullaballoo when people bought the soundtrack to the first prequel months before the film was out, and found that one track was called "Qui-Gon's Funeral". Talk about spoilers!

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

kiimo posted:

I think of all things they nailed that the best and that is saying something. Torn straight from my mind's eye.

Hope it didn't sting too badly. Er, Sting... too badly. :)

But, yeah, I'm with you on that one.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

What *I* want to see as a "third movie" is a version of the Hobbit that is really kid friendly, ignores all the LotR stuff, and just makes "THE HOBBIT" as the kid's book Tolkien wrote it as.

That would be cool as hell.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

You are a wonderful human being.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

kiimo posted:

Just sitting around imagining Bar Refaeli and Natalie Portman with giant beards.

Hmmm. Slightly unsettling, yet still hot.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Bombadil just wants to talk in iambic pentameter, gently caress Goldberry, and be left alone. As awesome as he is, he was too weird for the movies (and would also undermine the dramatic tension as millions of viewers would say... "hey just give the ring to this dude")

Bombadil would have been great for a younger Tom Baker. Don't know who'd do him now.

And, heck. Who would you cast as Goldberry?

Effingham fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 27, 2012

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It makes sense why they cut it out though. In the book we haven't heard from Frodo and Sam since the Orcs took him to the tower and Sam learns that Shelob didn't kill him. So to go into ROTK, and have this dude from Sauron say "The Halfling suffered greatly." and give up the Mithril shirt, it's a sock to the jaw.

In the movie we know that Frodo and Sam are on their way to Mount Doom at that point.

But the idea is that it's a sock in the jaw to Aragorn and the gang. Which it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Data Graham posted:

It's kinda amusing to realize that at the time the book was written, "smog" didn't exist (or hadn't been coined as a term).

So modern-day adaptation makers have often tried to sidestep the confusion by saying it like "Smowg", which I'm sure isn't right (Tolkien most likely meant the name to trip native-English-speaker reflexes, not follow Elvish pronunciation rules--same thing that fucks up people trying to say "Isengard"). But if they just pronounce it "Smog", the promo spots are gonna sound goofy.

"Desolation of the Dragon" would work fine if you ask me.

Tolkien pronounced it "smowg."

Modern day people are being RIGHT.

And I STILL wish they'd just do a streamlined "Hobbit" that tells nothing more than the story of the book (complete with the "tra la la" elves) that we could show to kids, and have as "the story of the book" rather than the "story of the epic as Jackson extruded it."

I like what Jackson does, but, dammit, I just want to see the Hobbit from my childhood without the Rankin-Bass musical nonsense.

Effingham fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 3, 2012

• Locked thread