Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

The dwarves look fantastic. I always felt that Gimli was a bit of the odd man out in LotR because we barely got to see any other dwarves, but this looks great and will give the dwarves some much-deserved love.

I also love how visually distinct they made each dwarf look. I mean, yeah it's all for "action figure purposes" as well as visual distinction, but it'll make differentiating the characters super-easy for all audience members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wasn't the dual failures of the Golden Compass and Prince Caspian pretty much the saturation point?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That looked really interesting. I'm glad I saw it. The song was beautiful.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rencall posted:

- Meeting his wizard peer, Radagast the Brown

This bit is especially relevant to Doctor Who fans as Radagast the Brown will be played by none other than Sylvester McCoy, or the 7th Doctor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The beautiful part there is that because Gollum is based off of a CGI model from 10 years ago and all the limitations of technology from then, there's a logic that it "should" be "easier" to render a better-looking Gollum without reinventing the wheel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, the special features indicate that the Scouring of the Shire works as a long denouement to the Ring arc in novel form, but in a film that is already going to have a very long denouement for a film it'd be a mess for the vast majority of viewers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As a lifelong nerd LotR was unique for me as I could never find the inner hook to put up with Tolkien prose--though that has changed since I've seen the movies and found the appeal of the epic.

Unlike almost every other nerd property I consumed, I was able to take the LotR movies pretty much exclusively on their own merits and in that respect they knocked the ball out of the park. When I found out about all the little things they changed I could empathize, but I also think the appeal of the movies would have been compromised a lot if it didn't have as many "conventional" structures as it did. As someone who really likes LotR, it's very hard to make it sexy and 'cool' in a "modern America" sense and things like Bombadil or the Scouring of the Shire would have definitely alienated audience members who already considered LotR "arthouse" by their common media habits.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think what makes Fellowship the overall best movie to me is that it feels the most satisfying overall. TTT has better tension, and RoTK has a much more suitably epic feel, but both are so predicated on being the middle and end of a trilogy that they're difficult to just pop in and enjoy the same way I can with Fellowship.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I love the scene where he decided to go out and fight for Osgiliath. "If I should return, think better of me, Father."

I really do love that line so much.

Speaking as someone who still hasn't read the books in their entirety, and saw TTT with no knowledge of Faramir, I really didn't like him at first. He felt like all of Boromir's character development after Boromir's arc was already settled, and he basically killed the pacing of Frodo's plot arc for most of the second act. I really do think showing that Faramir could ultimately pass on the ring despite pleas and the efforts of his own men to snatch it would have been not only do-able, but added much-needed variety to Frodo's TTT plot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's going for that vintage 2002 feel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

It's a theme I created entirely in my own mind, but I'm really hoping to see an old and bowed down Saruman get tempted by Sauron and restored to the tall, straight-backed power we see in Fellowship who then "chases" off the Necromancer, leaving the White Council thinking,"Oh loving awesome Saruman was faking being old and weak and actually he's just as powerful as ever things are going to be all right with him in charge!"

I really really wanted to see this. Your idea is awesome. I'm sure some Tolkein fan wants our heads for it, but it's awesome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh, not to be all spergy...

but to be all spergy couldn't you say the same thing about Sauron not noticing Samn and Frodo in Mordor? I think the explanation there is that he's too busy with Gondor and his other armies to notice, I imagine that'd be the same for this case.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nurse Fanny posted:

This sounds just like when RLM talked about Han Solo being in the prequels.

Yeah maybe they'll run into young Boromor while they're there and Gandalf will look at all three wisely and go "Now don't get hurt you three. We have work to do soon!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

YOU..... CAN NOT....... PASS!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

That looks like something from Star Wars.

Also looks like the semi-obscure Panzer Dragoon games.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So the size of a St. Bernard?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's so weird how New Zealand and Tolkien have become mentally inseparable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Maybe it'll start a bit illustrating more about how Bilbo and Hobbits in general are idyllic homebodies who hate adventure and strangers. Even as a little kid I remember being told a hell of a lot about Bilbo's consternation and then *bam* a ton of dwarves are in his house.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nic Cage as a gimmick actor who is alternately pathetic and insane is not the type of actor you want at the forefront of LoTR. He's his own brand, you don't go to see "Drive Angry" or "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance", you go to see "the new Nic Cage movie."

Nic Cage is fine and dandy separate from LoTR, but to add him as Aaragorn is to say "Yeah, this 5 course meal is great but wouldn't it be better if we put a gigantic helping of Mac and Cheese all over every single dish, including the drinks and dessert?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Did I say Nic Cage was a bad actor? I said he's a brand. He'd end up distracting from the overall tone of the movies. Orlando Bloom may be a lovely actor but he's not a "brand" actor, and his shittiness barely impacted the overall tone of the movies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

His constant state of confusion(or whatever that face he makes is) worked for the first movie, but once he became "The One" I think some emotion would have helped keep the last two movies interesting. Like as if, you know, he was actually feeling conflicted over what to do.

Of all the many problems with the last two movies Keanu Reeves was fairly far down on the list. Things like writing and general concept were far far more necessary to address.

And yes, Viggo was method as gently caress during filming of LoTR. There's a story about how Peter Jackson talked with him for an hour before Jackson pointed out that he was calling Viggo Aragorn and Viggo hadn't noticed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Data Graham posted:

What I love so much about it is that it feels like the kind of spontaneous poo poo that would actually happen in a fight involving greatswords and armor.

It's not Princess Bride/Phantom Menace swashbuckling stuff where every move is elegantly choreographed and has a name in a French book somewhere. You're just frantically swinging a giant loving flat sharpened bar of metal around in the air and trying to give people enough annoying flesh wounds that they'll stop hucking knives and arrows at you. Of course you'd use it as a shield as much as a weapon, because it's not like you have time to think and plan; you're just trying to stay alive.

You can also see the pommel and even the flat of the blade used as a blunt weapon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Years on the crack pipe got you into "character" eh?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, I can see that. Still it's "more human" if he cries and runs away like a little goon in a fit of passion before remembering. I guarantee that's the kind of rationale behind it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Eru: At the end of time your spirits will be woven into the fabric of the new universe and you will become as one with eternity, lifting to a higher plane of existence than can be conceived by mortal or immortal alike.

That's exactly what someone trying to sell you a junker would say. Oh sure, take the crappy deal now because it enables you to get the better deal later, but you have absolutely no way to enforce that you get the better deal but don't worry I wouldn't screw you over I have a nice face right?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

explosivo posted:

I'm all for newer technology in cinema, but I definitely get the complaint, especially after watching those two clips from reddit side by side. My brain wants to think "home movie" during the 48fps shot, but the 24fps felt more like a "real" movie to me. It really is just the fact that I've been conditioned to think that way, so I'm going to see how it looks in action before swearing it off completely like some people have.

The big thing I'm having so far is that I haven't watched anything that is deliberately trying to pass off a fake world as real. Everything I've seen in 48 fps has been test footage, stop motion, or sports/nature. Honestly I don't think it's until I see a movie that tries to pass off a world as ridiculously removed from reality as Middle Earth is as if it were real that I'll truly decide if 48 fps is a bad idea or not.

I can understand the reservations though, there is a noticeable difference--be it from conditioning to see film in 24 fps or otherwise--between 48 and 24 fps footage, and it does give film a more "real" quality that I could see acting as a detriment in a fantasy setting.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nektu posted:

Everybody here whining about 48fps

I honestly see way more posts whining about the whining than actual whining.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The whole bunny-sled does sound Narnia as gently caress doesn't it? As long as Sylvester McCoy is awesome--and we have no reason to believe he won't be--I'll be satisfied.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Szmitten posted:

So hold on, are there any implications for Legolas's cameo?

Yes, (e- spoiled because some goons are crazy) Orlando Bloom continues to get high profile work.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even then it's not like you'll need to know who EVERY character is, just the important ones. Even in LoTR you can get by just fine not knowing if you're looking at Merry or Pippin, as long as you know that it's not Frodo or Sam.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gremlins 2 really has aged well. You just have to go into it expecting the best of the worst in late 80s materialism.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Silver Brushes posted:

I know a lot of people disagree but the only big of CG in LOTR that looks glaringly awful is the eagle flying over the mountains in Fellowship. And maybe Gollum's teaser/close-up in Moria but neither really bother me enough to want them changed.

Yeah I'll be one of those disagreeing. Honestly a lot of the CGI in the LotR could stand clearing up and some modernizing touches (particle effects, improved lighting and blending and textures), but it is one of those "where is the line?" endeavors that can easily end up doing more harm than good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kyle Gass as his wife or nothing at all :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

Interesting idea. Although if they did the Aragorn prequel they better do it quick. It's been almost 15 years since they started filming LOTR, and Viggo Mortenson isn't getting any younger.

You know drat well that some people high up in the WB would see an Aaragorn prequel as an excuse to pimp some new young actor as though it were his big break.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Just call them and ask. That's what I'm going to do with my local IMAXes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Data Graham posted:

He's apparently directly descended from Charlemagne too.

Like, great-grandfather or something.

That's a loving long-lived family considering Charlemagne lived around 1200 years ago.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's a drat catchy phrase they've got, but seriously what utter :jerkbag:

Hey assholes, hundreds of thousands of cows, pigs, and chickens are being harvested day by day for insatiable consumer appetites. If you were really serious about making the most difference in the world instead of keeping your PR visibility up you'd be doing some work on those now wouldn't you?

Yes it's a loving shame if horses died making the Hobbit. It really is. No one is going to come out and go "oh boy I sue am glad those horses died! Uppity equine fucks! Maybe for the next movie we can put the ranch on a sinkhole and start a betting pool!" There is no one or next to no one on that side of things.

Ah whatever, I'm just playing into their hands. I remember a decade ago when they campaigned against chicken coops by comparing it to the treatment of Jews during the Holocaust. No matter how many points you award for technicality they're still a bunch of lovely attention-seeking wankers and only serve to undermine a very legitimate cause.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

The tweets from people who actually saw the whole movie at the Wellington premiere have been like ultra-ultra-mega-positive++++ regarding the HFR thing.

To be fair, there's a lot of bias present in making sure the HFR is talked up and everyone sees it as a good thing since it's such a "risk."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I need a moment. I'm not sure if I've just been complimented or insulted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Well, there could be some interesting applications of 48fps, but I just don't know if a fantasy movie is the right subject matter for it.

I recall that Bruce Lee actually had to slow himself down in order for his moves to be intelligible by audiences. Perhaps martial arts movies at 48 could be interesting.

Sports films?

"Heightened reality" scenes in films? I think we had discussions before about Douglas Trumbull's original ideas for BrainStorm where scenes inside virtual reality would be 60fps. What if the computer world in Tron Legacy was 48fps and the real world was 24fps? What if the Matrix was done the same way? What if the fast shutter battle scenes in Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator were done at 48fps instead?

48fps is "weird" so maybe a film capitalizing on the fact that it's weird would be the best way to go about it.

I like this idea. It wouldn't impact digital releases for home consumption right?

• Locked thread