Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Faramir?

No one can resist the ring to different extents. Faramir and Aragorn would've eventually become seduced, and knowing this they both decided to not directly help Frodo by following him.

I said come in! posted:

I was always under the impression that one Balrog ever existed.

Balrog is just synonymous with Demon. Durin's Bane is a balrog. Sauron is a balrog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

All I meant was that proximity to the ring's forging, at the Cracks of Doom, not only increases its physical weight but also its mental hold over you. Frodo, who resisted the ring's power for far longer than anyone else, eventually sucummed to it at the very end. So would Gandalf, Treebeard, Faramir or anyone else you care to name as long as it's not Tom Bombadil.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What ever gave you this crazy idea?
Balrogs are the Maiar who followed Melkor into the physical world. Sauron was one of these.

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 30, 2011

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I just don't remember his type of spirit beig given a specific designation so I just lumped him in. My mistake.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ungoliant had to be just one of the unique evil Maiar. Maiar and evil Maiar are really the only way I can categorize Sauron and Ungoliant. As for why Melkor felt threatened, I think he must've been in a weakened state after being the Valar's bitch for however long it was. Middle-First Age Morgoth would give no fucks.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Indeed. The White Council is basically a who's-who of the most powerful (non-evil) beings in Middle-earth. As a veteran of The Battle of Unnumbered Tears, Glorfindel has been through the sorts of ridiculously epic poo poo that would make the War of the Ring look like a playground scuffle. He's so hardcore, he was even killing Balrogs (and getting killed by them and subsequently resurrected) way before Gandalf made it mainstream.

I too was gutted when he was left out of the films, but the non-spergy part of my brain sees the logic in replacing him with Arwen.

I really hope we actually get to see these types of people going apeshit on Dol Guldur because we didn't really get to see that sort of stuff in the LotR films (the Guinness horses and Galadriel's radioactive spazz-out was about as close as it got).

Was Glorfindel's resurrection and return to Middle Earth an established fact or something Tolkien was mulling around in his head to maybe explain why he used the same name twice?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Yeah I'm a little hazy myself. I remember his "essence" escaping after the Dagorlad battle when the Ring was cut from his finger. And I remember this essence living in Mirkwood cause it sensed the Ring was close (next door under the Misty Mountains), but I don't recall if he had a physical form yet. I thought he didn't, helping explain why he just left when the White Council came.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Olibu posted:

PART time.

I seeeeeeeeeeeeee in your eyes...

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I just pictured a clean shaven Peter Jackson with high cheek bones and silver hair. Threw up a bit in my mouth.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ah, the love between a giant bear monster and a beautiful elven princess.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Bard fires the arrow and then out of nowhere Legolas does a judo flip onto it and surfs the arrow, then runs up Smaug's back and stabs his eyes out, dives off his head and shoots a barrage of arrows into Smaug's open mouth as he falls before executing a perfect three point landing on a rooftop as Smaug's lifeless body crashes to the ground behind him in slow motion.

Then Gloin says "What a loving dick".
*Gloin farts*

Fixed to appeal to a wider audience.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

kiimo posted:

I think it has elements of a lot of things. I've never heard that though. Please don't link a Herbert quote that that's true and crush my world.

Plus I don't think he sat down and said, okay the Atreides are Russia, Arrakis is the Persian Gulf, Shaddam is so and so...I think it has thematic elements of a situation or a framework to tell the story but the story itself isn't a representation of actual events or anything.
Shaddam...Hussein?

IRAQ-is?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I might be mistaken but perhaps the rings of power become useless if the One Ring is destroyed and they become dangerous if Sauron gets his hands back on it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

48 Hour Boner posted:

TellMeWhereIsGandalf,ForIMuchDesireToSpeakWithHim.

Tell me, where is the rest of my Xanax? Or did I accidentally take them all before doing this scene?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

webmeister posted:

Apparently there was nothing fake about the way he swatted that knife - no stunt doubles or CGI trickery, and he got it on the first take. Didn't Viggo also break a tooth doing the stunt where he jumps off Amon Hen to attack the Uruk-hai? I think I remember hearing that on one of the commentary tracks. And his battlecry (ELENDIL:black101:) was totally ad-libbed.

Viggo :allears:

Also when he kicks that helmet and cries with anger at the beginning of Two Towers, he's ACTUALLY screaming cause he just loving broke a few toes.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Actually Haldir is now Claudius Glaber, mortal enemy of Spartacus.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The hardest part was having to keep Feanor's brothers and their children all worked out. They're a part of almost every story in the Silmarillion and they all have names that start with F-something or two or more will end with the same suffix, and then Feanor's seven sons all have very different names and are at different levels of loving psychotic.

Luckily there's a map at the front for spacial reference and the appendix has every name and relation.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gotta second the Orome love, although the fact that he was TOO awesome is what drove elves away in the first place, hence orcs. Thanks Orome.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I almost agree but it just seems sacrilegious not to read the entire book.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

That's exactly what someone trying to sell you a junker would say. Oh sure, take the crappy deal now because it enables you to get the better deal later, but you have absolutely no way to enforce that you get the better deal but don't worry I wouldn't screw you over I have a nice face right?

Then he raised up both his hands, and in one chord, deeper than the Abyss, higher than the Firmament, piercing as the light of the eye of Iluvatar, he sold a lemon.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Dolphin posted:

I thought Dale was supposed to be the hundred year old ruins of a destroyed town, those pictures don't really jive with that.

They might start with flashbacks of Smaug attacking, then age and damage the buildings for contemporary scenes?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Can't I be a dwarf/elf hybrid? You know, high cheekbones and a fat rear end?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

So the blu-ray format inherently can never play 48fps, or is it a temporary hurdle for the format to cross over?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

henpod posted:

I wonder what Gandalf would think. Do you guys think he would like 24 or 48 fps?

Ah but it is not ours to decide. All we can decide is what we think of the film that is given to us.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It's possible the romantic subplot will play into the final battle at the Lonely Mountain. Maybe Jackson wants a little more ambiguity amongst the Dwarves and their unwavering allegiance to Thorin. If Kili or whoever has some emotional connection to one of the Elves that Thorin is prepared to kill, it adds more complexity to the battle than simply "Dwarves vs Men vs Elves". There would be tangible cost to their decisions.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

But that's not an emotional connection. They're hungry and annoyed. That doesn't resonate nearly as strongly as being told you're going to do battle with someone you care about.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Bilbo is not a Dwarf.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Let me clarify. In the post you were responding to, I was imagining that this romantic subplot would help flesh out the characterization for the Dwarves. Yes, I recall what Bilbo did at the end. Why? Because the book is super-duper short, and in its current status does not hold enough plot for two distinct films. The Hobbit has characterization. The Hobbit does not have characterization for the Dwarves.

The book has two or three notable Dwarves, and 10 or so names. That's really all they are. And having most of your cast be completely mute and forgettable does not a good movie make. So I'm imagining that what Peter Jackson is doing here is killing two birds with one stone.

1. Flesh out a Dwarf character so the audience has an actual character to care about.
2. Add increased tension in the finale, as well as add to the run time.

Okay three things

3. Pander slightly.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The movie isn't out yet. If you liked LOTR at all you need to give Jackson the benefit of the doubt here. It's completely possible for him to make up a character and throw it in an established universe and make it work. That's why he has all those shiny gold things in his office.

When the movie comes out and Kate-from-Lost-Elf is a two dimensional, tired, pandering whatever, then feel free to complain.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

So then what is the thread for? You could say the same thing to all the people talking about how excited they are. It's not out yet. Talk about how much you like it once you've seen it?

I get that talking about elements they're introducing that make you feel nervous is a personal affront to the skills of Peter Holy Jackson and his Infallible Judgement, but I really don't get why this thread seems so anxious to shush up any pre-movie comparisons between the text and what they've given us with the film.

Some people see the previews and think, oh boy. Some people see them and think, oh dear. I don't see why this thread can't be host to both.
But you're not thinking "oh dear", you're thinking

quote:

tired bullshit and two dimensional pretty faces
when literally all you know is 'This character exists'. You're jumping the gun.

Someone could look at the Dwarves' costumes and go

+ "Oh cool I like their distinctiveness!"
or
- "I hate how slapsticky they all look!"

These are two legitimate positions you could take before seeing the movie, because at least you've seen something. But when it comes to a plot you know nothing about with a character you haven't seen, calling it 'tired bullshit' is too negative of a reaction. I'm not trying to stifle your creative bitching. Just bitch about something you have any tangible evidence against.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

We have thirteen dwarves to learn about who actually have bearing on the plot.

No, we don't. It's the very lack of any bearing on the plot that makes adding characters for them to interact with, yes even gross female ones, a good thing. It's the very thing that started this discussion off to begin with. They do almost nothing. They're just names. Having new characters and love interests and enemies isn't "fluffing" the plot. It's creating one. The book is too short with too few characters to fill out two films. This is not a typical "addition just for the sake of pandering to a female market". This is expansive storytelling.

quote:

"oh dear, another loving random rear end insertion of a cardboard cutout girl for the audience to look at in case nobody wants to watch two movies of sausage fest "
You have not seen this movie. Keep repeating that in your head.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

This was condescension:

Huntersoninski posted:

You mean like if Bilbo suddenly changed sides and was kicked out by Thorin, to their dismay? Yes something like that might be effective, and stir up more feelings of conflict as they realize they're out of food and their leader isn't showing signs of relenting

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

They're going to add a new female Valar to the cast. Hope that's okay with everybody.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I think that's what made certain comedy elements appropriate. Ones that came organically from the original text worked far better I think.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

kiimo posted:

Well good luck finding that but I do remember that Tolkien finally lost his poo poo when Santa Claus showed up. Here's a guy who creates multiple languages and spends decades meticulously crafting a story from all sides with a depth and scope that's just insane and here's his friend essentially throwing in random poo poo all willy nilly.

I imagine Tokien as a genius pianist who has spent the past decade mastering Rachmaninoff and his buddy sells out a concert where he just rips off some freestyle jazz on guitar on stage with no concern for key signatures or modes and everybody loves it and he just wants to vomit.
Tolkien conscientiously weaves in Christian ethics and morals into an epically scoped universe and Lewis just says "Okay I'll make Jesus a lion that can talk and he'll just explain all this like the dad at the end of a family sitcom."

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Kind of gives the last video blog a little less emotional impact, doesn't it? Don't be sad everybody, you're all getting back together in a few weeks time!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

kiimo posted:

I'll give the studio the benefit of the doubt in one topic, in that if there is a natural ending to film 2 and the story works out better with Smaug ending the second film then I don't mind the third film.

As long as the the possible suckitude is contained to the third film and it doesn't spread into the first two and the first two are relatively short like two hours or so, I think this could actually improve the first two and just leave the possibility of the third sucking. Which I'm fine with.

Yeah I can totally imagine Smaug's death having the same feeling as the end of the Pelennor Fields battle. It had been over two hours of non stop action and visual spectacle and you suddenly realized there's so much more to be done. Frodo isn't really all that close to Mt. Doom and there's still all of Mordor to worry about.

Smaug's story comprising all of movie #2 works better for me than having his story begin and end AND THEN have a whole 'nother plot added on for another hour and a half.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I think the decision to limit the 48fps release is just a natural extension of the comic-con decision to demo it at 24/2D.

I don't think it's necessarily because of a logistical or financial issue.

WB quite rightly does not want the press for this film's release to be wrecked by a few overblown and over-reported negative reactions to the framerate, like it was at cinemacon. Even if the framerate reaction is largely positive, it will still overshadow the positive press from the story (the stuff that actually matters). Not showing 48fps will do nothing to harm the film. Showing 48fps could harm the film, or it could help the film. It could go either way, so why the gently caress take that risk?

They clearly realise that the story is their strongest card here, and are going to play that card, instead of the tech card.

Avatar was the opposite - they played the tech card for that, because let's be honest there wasn't much going for the story.

I get the feeling that even negative press on the 48fps version is going to boost ticket sales, just because people will want in on the debate and the only way for them to do that is to actually see what's so horrible/awesome about it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

For the purposes of character diversity, audience connectivity, and it's a children's book at its heart so that's why retarded Andy Dick is there.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sylink posted:

The best theory on bombadil is that he is not a valar but some kind of manifestation of God/Illuvatar and therefore does not interfere/give a poo poo about anything , even though that rule is subtly broken here and there by getting the ring to Bilbo and rezzing Gandalf etc

Is it ever explicitly stated that the ring leaving Gollum for Bilbo was Eru acting upon it, or is it just implied?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

How likely is it that Fox News will think the second movie title was invented by Al Gore to push his homo loving climate change theory? You know, like Bane was invented so Romney would lose the election?

The Desolation of Solyndra more like!!!!!

• Locked thread