Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

keep punching joe posted:

Plus that section was inserted by Tolkien after he had written LOTR as a way to link the books, along with rewriting the Riddles in the Dark chapter.

So loving what? :rolleyes: It's an adaptation of The Hobbit as it exists today, not the first edition of the Hobbit. Why should anything JRR added himself in later editions not be considered good enough to be included in the movie?

CerealCrunch posted:

I'm reading through appendix A of Lord of the Rings right now, and Gandalf and Thorin get together in Bree before the Hobbit.

Basically, Gandalf is sitting around worried about how Sauron might use Smaug to kick the poo poo out of Middle Earth. Thorin shows up by chance and asks Gandalf to come to his halls to talk about how he might get his inheritance that Smaug is sitting on. This meeting with Thorin is elaborated on in "The Quest of Erebor" which is found in the appendix of some versions of the Hobbit, or it can be found in Unfinished Tales.

Gandalf wants to use Bilbo because he feels it's important to include Hobbits in the affairs of the world. He needed to teach the Hobbits enough to understand the world, but he did not have time, so he insisted Thorin include him in his quest to get rid of the dragon. He says the dragon might not recognize Hobbit scent, but that was mainly so he would agree to take Bilbo.

Thorin really doesn't think much of Hobbits, but Gandalf says they can walk quietly and are courageous in a pinch. It is actually Thorin who suggests that Bilbo is a thief (how else could they have nice silverware and jewelry). This pisses off Gandalf and he says, fine, Bilbo is a thief. Now take him and succeed, or leave him behind and fail.

Is all this in the appendices? I'm super stoked to read those for the first time, because I skipped over them the first time I read LOTR. Now I'm on my second complete readthrough, near the end of ROTK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Szmitten posted:

I thought 3D would give actual depth, like on somebody's face their nose is in front of their cheeks, their chin in front of their neck and so forth. But every 3D thing I've seen has looked like a diarama with cardboard cut-outs. Does my initial impression of what 3D is actually exist or do they all have that effect?

Did you see Avatar in 3D? It was actually stereoscopic (IE: worked the same way human eyes do)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
We need some motherfucking gifs! Wanna see that quick shot of the dwarves tossing plates around while Bombur bops in his chair, over and over for all eternity.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Binary Logic posted:

It's funny to see spoilered text regarding a book that came out over 75 years ago. If you're looking at this thread and haven't read the book go get it and remedy that. Now!

I concur. Everyone should get this edition:

It's an adorable-as-gently caress little hardcover about 5 inches tall that you can carry around in your pocket and whip out to read. :3:

The section of the cover that has the "pocket edition" and the big yellow circle, is a wrap-around thing that you can take off — the regular Hobbit dust jacket is underneath. And the maps are inside the front (Thrain's map) and back (geographical map) covers :3:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 21, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drighton posted:

4. I really hope we get more 3 hour extended editions, because 6 more hours in Middle Earth will be awesome!

Oh my loving god yes. And 18 more hours of making-of features :fap:

(which reminds me, Christmas is nearly here, so it's almost time for my annual re-watching of the LOTR extended edition special features :3:)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Iacen posted:

I have no idea what that means.

Edit: Googled around. Is he a good actor?

All I know him from is BBC's Sherlock, and by god he's brilliant in that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if the Hobbit movies will explain how Sauron turns into (in the movie canon) a giant flaming eyeball.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe he named them after the diminutive subspecies of humans, H. floresiensis aka hobbits :v:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lizard Combatant posted:

Kids of the future are gonna be so confused by the way history and pop culture (no disrespect) become entwined. Wait, Hitler was real? So was he really was the cloned leader of a robot army?

This is exactly how I feel about Rasputin. Wait, he actually existed? So he was a dark wizard with a talking bat familiar?

edit: Also it took ages for me as a kid to figure out that Amazons in Greek myth (or pop culture based on Greek myth, eg: Xena) weren't meant to be from the Amazon basin in South America.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
^^^gently caress you beat me

I'm particularly fond of the lines from the book that they repurposed for other scenes in the movie. Especially the final description of Frodo reaching the Undying Lands, being used when Gandalf describes death to Pippin. That moment is one of my top 5 in the whole movie trilogy, I'd say.

pixelbaron posted:

Theoden's battle cry in Return of the King which sends chills down every nerds spine is directly from the books.

And this would be my number one favourite part of the entire movie trilogy.

pixelbaron posted:

Sam saying "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you" is from the books, though he says a bit more in the books from what I remember.

Probably with 500% more "if you follow my meaning, sir" in the book version.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That scene in the movie always makes me laugh a bit, because it's like *Sam collapses but Frodo keeps going* *Frodo collapses but Sam keeps going* "I'll carry YOU!" *carries Frodo about 4 steps, gets attacked by Gollum* *Frodo goes by himself anyway*

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Davincie posted:

I really like that gif, there is just so much going on at once.

Just imagine how great the whole scene will be :neckbeard:

I wonder if they'll be singing too...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The thrush will be CGI, and will tell Bard the weak spot with a cool hip-hop dance sequence. Possibly voiced by Ke$ha? And the scene will maybe have some tie-in with Angry Birds characters, kids love that poo poo.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Goose Halo posted:

I remember reading somewhere that The Two Towers could also refer to Frodo and Sam.

The Two Towers are Merry & Pippin's erect penises as they tussle passionately and nakedly in one another's arms, breathing in each other's scent, each night in the wilderness of Middle Earth.

Data Graham posted:

I gotta say, Tolkien wasn't the best candidate for illustrating his own stuff.

I mean, cool that he could draw and stuff, but that Minas Morgul... that's really what he had in mind, huh?

(Tolkien did lovely Tolkien fanart is what I'm saying)

His original sketches of Minas Tirith are pretty uninspiring from what I remember, but I can't find them anywhere online damnit.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
On my latest reread of LOTR I found the element I liked the most was all the dwarven stuff, especially the architecture/engineering in Moria. I found myself wondering what their more prosperous years there would have looked like; I loved imagining vast, bustling underground dwarf cities. So I'm looking for fantasy books that have more of this sort of stuff. I'm gonna assume that Marcus Heitz' The Dwarves trilogy is trash and I should look elsewhere - but correct me if I'm wrong. (seriously though, the covers look so loving dumb)

Basically I'm after books featuring noble, industrious dwarves along the lines of Tolkien, with rich culture and amazing architecture; not the barbarous short bearded killing machines that seem to be in fantasy these days.

edit: Just remembered this is CD not TBB, but since we're all talking books here I'll leave this up, in hopes of some good recommendations!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 27, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Literally the best thing about these production diaries is seeing Bombur doing wacky things. They should have assigned a documentarian to him 24/7 and made an entire disc of behind-the-scenes Bombur for the DVD/bluray release.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Vintersorg posted:

I hope the extras that come with this go even further in depth and show us other things.

Does anyone know if the King Kong behind the scenes were just the video diary's or brand new? I never did buy that on blu.

Can't speak for the bluray, but the DVDs were really comprehensive. I had them all.

• Production Diaries (a separate release that I scored for $3!)
- can't find my copy right now, but it basically had the first 54 video blogs over 2 discs

• 2 disc normal release
- movie
- blogs 55-90 (post production diaries) - 152 min
- Kong's New York 1933 - 28 min
- The Natural History of Skull Island - 17 min

• 3 disc special edition
- extended film
- 43 minutes of separate deleted scenes
- director's commentary
- Re-Creating The Eighth Wonder documentary - 187 min! (this is a proper documentary like on the LOTR DVDs, not just video blogs)
- much more listed here http://www.amazon.com/King-Kong-Extended-Three-Disc-Deluxe/dp/B000H30B2C

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 3, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Nilbop posted:

Theatrical had Saruman in it, I remember seeing this after being told he wasn't in it and was like "huh."

No it didn't.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
To be honest if Peter Jackson made a movie about every single year of Bilbo's life I would see them all. Even if most of the 111 movies were just regular day-to-day hobbit poo poo with no adventures. :h:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

NarkyBark posted:

All I ask for the Hobbit is to go easy on the slo-mo. It's the only thing that pains me when rewatching the LOTR movies.

Not as bad as King Kong.

*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "S"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "K"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "U"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "L"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "I"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "S"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "A"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "N"*
*dramatic slow mo as Adrien Brody types "D"*

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, question, 3D is always way too loving dim when you put on the glasses so why the hell don't they up the brightness when it's screened in 3d? I always sit there flicking my glasses up away from my eyes and back down again every few minutes so I can see what each scene's colour palette is supposed to be.

This pretty much ruined Avatar for me because here was this bright amazing world... As viewed through heavily UV shielding sunglasses :what:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I sure hope "Hobbit trilogy : Lord of the Rings trilogy" doesn't end up like "Star Wars prequel trilogy : original Star Wars trilogy" :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I only ever watched the 3 EE movies (in 24hours, this weekend), how did they wrap up the story of Saruman in the Theatrical version if they didn't have the Isengard tower scene in it?

Gandalf: "Saruman is safely locked in his tower. He will be no threat anymore."
Pippin: "Hey I found this glowy orb in the water!"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

kiimo posted:

Merry
Phonetic Pronunciation: MAIR-ree

Mary
Phonetic Pronunciation: MAIR-ree

Marry:ˈmæri'

They're all the same if you don't have a weird accent.

They're not all the same if you don't have your accent. For fucks sake this is a stupid debate.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

These come from scans of that hobbit annual thing that some naughty people have got hold of early.

Which has been in bookstores for at least a week. I flipped through a copy last weekend.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ack I can't wait. I'm going to watch it in German!

http://video.de.msn.com/watch/video...0cc%7c%7c%7c%7c

Radagast rides a sleigh pulled by giant rabbits?? Oh Jackson you card!

edit: oh my loving god the misty mountain giants look amazing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Screencap everything.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I watch all the documentaries and audio commentaries on an almost yearly basis and I still have a boyfriend :smug:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://io9.com/5954767/massive-secrets-of-the-hobbit--revealed

This io9.com article has tons of info about the film, including all the different idiosyncrasies of the dwarves. Best tidbit? Bombur uses his hair braid-loop as a weapon.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
As far as I'm concerned, that video is canon now :colbert:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That tracklist makes me so loving happy. Most of all, it's seeing the words "performed by The Dwarf Cast" multiple times.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Oh, they have a new TV spot that has a couple of slightly new shots that show a sequence that will get all the purist spergs' knickers in a twist, namely:

When the Company climbs the Misty Mountains, they end up unwittingly climbing up a Stone Giant. Then the giant starts moving and the Company are holding on for dear life as they are taken for a "giant ride". A bit like an extreme version of Pippin climbing up Treebeard.

http://youtu.be/MoG51YA-7qc

Hang on, why would Tolkien purists sperge about mountain giants when Middle Earth has balrogs, trolls, dragons, giant spiders, etc etc? What's so out there about giants?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Luckily the PAL release will end up at 50 frames/sec so 100Hz TVs should have no problem, right?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
These are the sets that exist as far as I know:

DVD

- Theatrical cuts
-- 3 movies x 2 discs each
--- Disc 1: movie, no commentary
--- Disc 2: lovely extras not worth your time

- Extended cuts
-- 3 movies x 4 discs each (originally available in super special boxsets with various collectable items and a throw-in DVD of something boring, like the Nation Geographic LOTR special which sucked)
--- Disc 1 & 2: movie spread across two discs, 4 commentaries
--- Disc 3 & 4: hours of behind the scenes

- Limited Edition
-- 3 movies x 2 discs each
--- Disc 1: movie spread across both sides of disc, branching to either Theatrical or Extended cut
--- Disc 2: Costa Botes documentary (approx 1.5 hours)

Bluray

- Theatrical cuts
-- same deal as DVD editions; no new extras
--- second disc (with extras) is a DVD

- Extended cuts
-- 3 movies x 5 discs each (available as separate 5-disc sets or a 15-disc trilogy box)
--- Disc 1 & 2: movie spread across two bluray discs, 4 commentaries
--- Disc 3 & 4: DVD of exact same extras in DVD extended edition
--- Disc 5: DVD of Costa Botes documentary

Amazon doesn't seem to show any new editions coming out soon. Expect that after the Hobbit trilogy... a 30 disc, 6-movie boxset? :fap:

EDIT: oh wait for the UK I found these:
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=99653
- Box art says 2-disc edition so I'd say it's disc 1 and 2 from the Extended Bluray sets, meaning you get the 4 audio commentaries per film but miss out on the 3 discs of extras. So it's really for people who have all the DVD versions already, and just want the HD movies.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 9, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

the Bunt posted:

Desolation is not a verb.

"Desolate" is.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Holy crap, I love it. The best part is the anvils and the dwarves(?) singing "yayayaya" in the background.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Only slightly off topic, but is anyone else loving thrilled about the upcoming Lego Lord of the Rings video games? I have been watching gameplay footage on YouTube and I can't contain my excitement :neckbeard:

The console versions promise open world exploration, and that you can walk from Hobbiton to Mordor.

The Lego Harry Potter games are the only good games made with the HP license so I have really high hopes for this one. I think the demo just came out, and it's the Helm's Deep level,and is apparently a ton of fun. Gonna download it on my Xbox when I get home from holiday.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5yui8tSM9M Helm's Deep level footage. I am on vacation at a rented house on a beach in the tropics but I am inside watching video game footage online because I am a goon.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 13, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

I got this book the other day, and it's a generally brilliant behind-the-scenes type deal with lots of interviews. I just thought I'd share something cool which I just found out:

THIS dude...

is the same actor as THIS dude.

EDIT: Similarly cool fact from the first trilogy is that these three villains are played by the same badass, Lawrence Makoare:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 19, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm listening to Neil Finn's song a lot and still loving it. I wonder if this trilogy will have three songs by men as their official songs, just like the LOTR trilogy had three songs by women.

I just hope, if I'm right, that the other two aren't Sting and Bono :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DentArthurDent posted:

Maybe, but it was very late in the process when they decided to make it into three films, and seems driven as much by the studio wanting an extra film in the theaters as any real necessity.

I recall watching one of the last production diaries, when primary filming was just finishing, the actors were all saying goodbye and moving on, and it was still planned as two movies then. To add another entire film to a series after primary filming is complete seems...odd. It's also probably unprecedented. Now, knowing Jackson, they probably had enough footage in the can for three films at that point (or four, or five) but I don't think concerns about stretching or padding are completely unfounded. Like I say, it's mostly King Kong that has me worried, the original films were great.

I really think that more than anything, the reason the story's being stretched out so much is that they're really making the dwarves three-dimensional characters with their own character arcs etc. And that's a good thing. I recommend reading the Official Movie Guide that came out recently. There's interviews with all 13 dwarf actors, and they all talk about their characters and it sounds like an effort's really been made to distinguish them all.

I think it does take a trilogy of build up so that you really care about the fate of the dwarves in the final battle. So yeah, combine the arcs of 15 main characters with all the action set pieces, the ring, the stuff drawn from the appendices, and so on, and you have enough for a really packed trilogy of films.

edit: One example is Ori. When we first saw this photo:

we thought "ok he's the goofy looking one with the bowl haircut". But since reading the Official Movie Guide I know that in the movies he'll be the young, shy one who's been sheltered his entire life and this is his first journey out into the world; and he looks up to his brother Nori who is a bit of a rough/badass type; and he has a complicated relationship with his other brother Dori, who acts more like a fussy parent to him and doesn't want him on the trip, so Ori is keen to prove himself; and he also feels empathy with Bilbo as they're both naive fish-out-of-water types on this trip; and over the course of the films we'll see him grow in bravery to the point where, years later, he'll be one of Balin's crew who goes to take back Moria and dies tragically in the chamber of Marzabul. I mean, that's actually a lot of character arc, he's not just the goofy-looking one.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 21, 2012

• Locked thread