Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm actually still not sure which two towers the title of the second book refers to. Isengard and Mt. Doom?

Edit, f,b.

Man, goons are FAST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

tofes posted:

Film Faramir was a lot better in the extended editions since all the flashbacks with Boromir and his father were cut in the theatrical release. It was really confusing why they turned him into such a dick until you understand how Denethor treated him.

Agreed, his character is WAY more understandable in the extendeds.

Book Faramir is still the best though.

I may be alone in this sentiment, but I really liked David Wenham in the role.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

I have watched the trailer on Apple several times now, but is there a place where I can actually download it?

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

One really should be Pippen singing "Home is behind..." while Faramir and his men ride to certain death.

Gives me loving chills just thinking about it.

I also really love the part with the grand Minas Tirith theme playing as you see the beacons being lit.

Edit for lovely spelling..

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

Octy posted:

They couldn't have been destroyed if Gondor had always held West Osgiliath, though.

They didn't. Boromir had to reclaim the city at one point.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

Octy posted:

Quite right. I looked up the timeline just now, but Boromir reclaimed it a few decades before these events. It might not be enough time to think of rebuilding the city itself, but it is for repopulating the surrounding farmland.

Good point. I was thinking of the EE of The Two Towers, but the book is way different.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

Kind of boring so far, make with the preview already! I don't need to see Martin Freeman say "Never venture east!" a dozen times.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's an interesting insight into editing. Mind you, I am an editor, so it fascinates the hell out of me that Peter directs poo poo tons of coverage.

Cool, I get that.

It's getting better now!

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

euphronius posted:

"Death as a gift" also makes sense if you believe that the afterlife will consist of being in the close presence of god.

Exactly. Professor Tolkien was a devout Catholic.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

I thought Goblin Town was decent overall, but was marred badly by the whole falling platform thing. The dwarves and Gandalf are all on this thing, and it seems like it's falling FOREVER and bouncing off poo poo and yet somehow it doesn't disintegrate like like most every other section around them. Or even just flip over after hitting a side wall and throw them all off.

Most of PJ's excesses are silly but don't take me out of the actual movie, however the plunge into the chasm on the platform basically did.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

I believe Gandalf calls Sauron as much during the Fellowship movie, during a scene on top of Orthanc.

"There is only one Lord of the Rings, and he does not share power....."

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Just watched today, by chance. Its 'ring' not 'rings'.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, and he does not share power....."

Ah, thank you!

I am way more excited by Tuesday's release of the DOS teaser than I probably should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

therealjon_ posted:

But they still do reshoots, move thing around, etc. he'll Peter Jackson posted a video of Orlando Bloom, Kate from Lost, and the elf king all in full costume yesterday watching a video of people reacting to the trailer. So they still do stuff in between.

Yep, the Peej is big on doing reshoots long after original shooting is done. I forget which, but one of the LOTR movies saw him shooting some retake literally days before the world premiere of the movie.

• Locked thread