Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess I'll take this chance to mention that Reclaiming the Blade is still on Netflix. Bob Anderson, Viggo Mortensen, Karl Urban, and John Rhys-Davies are in it; and it covers a bit about how movies covered sword fighting and people's efforts to reconstruct lost western martial arts. It's not the most interesting documentary, but probably worth checking out if you're enough of the fan of the LOTR movies anyway.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
As someone who barely remembered reading The Hobbit in high school; if they're going to add a lot of details that weren't in the book to justify two movies; it wouldn't hurt that romance is simply one of dozens of things that they're adding.

Of course, talk of romance could still be premature speculation. Meh, the Arwen stuff didn't hurt LOTR in my mind.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I hope when they're promoting the movie they'll bother to rerelease The Complete Recordings soundtrack for TLOTR. The CDs are pretty expensive on Amazon right now; and only ROTK's soundtrack had a proper release on iTunes or Amazon mp3.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If we're talking about North America at least, I'm guessing you want the 15-disc version of the trilogy after all, which features the movies on two Blu-ray discs each, and the the original EE extras on two regular discs each, and the documentary-style making of each movie also another regular DVD disc for each movie. (It would have been nice if they could have produced those extras on Blu-ray and HD as well, but I guess they simply didn't exist in high-def.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread so far. This is probably really stupid by SA's standards today but it's one of my favorite things to come out of SA ever as stupid as it is.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Two Towers and ROTK game for the Xbox/PS2/GCN generation were fun smash-'em-ups. (The game called "Fellowship" wasn't based on the movie, and I can't say much about it.)

TLOTR Conquest was a bad game, but its evil campaign was a guilty pleasure. Maybe there's an LP you can look up. (On second thought, don't. The first one I found on YouTube is like listening to nails on a chalkboard.)

I have Aragorn's Quest for the PS3, but haven't played much of it. Probably not good.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 14, 2012

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Knowing that there's (presumably unscored) footage of the first Hobbit movie, I guess I'll hold off on buying the soundtrack until we get a complete recording release, like the LOTR extended soundtracks.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 9, 2012

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The HFR wasn't a film-breaker, but it didn't really "improve" the 3d, as I hoped it would. I enjoyed the movie, but I'd recommend 2d and the framerate we're used to. The HFR seemed to hurt a lot of the moments that should have felt more cinematic. Also, it definitely didn't help the CGI.

Martin Freeman is awesome. Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis haven't lost their game. Thorin's badass and Radagast definitely leaves an impression.

For the first half of the movie, it felt a bit weird with RPG-like exposition. (Particularly everything that has to do with the elves.) Things definitely picked up around the half-way point. One thing I actually found refreshing was the total lack of the race of men on screen. Despite the story additions, this is definitely Bilbo's story, and good thing too.

One last thing worth noting: It's pretty clear that future generations are supposed to watch TLOTR films first before the Hobbit trilogy. The concept of home is a big theme, but they don't really establish Bilbo's home, the community in the shire, for example, since it's assumed we were already introduced to it in Fellowship.

Howard Shore is awesome.

Edit: Also worth noting my theater did have the Trek preview and gave out four character posters (Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin, and Gollum) to each audience member after we returned the 3d glasses.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 14, 2012

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Okay, I'm actually a bit confused as how Gandalf knew Bilbo in the movie.

Gandalf met Bilbo when Bilbo was a kid and Bilbo doesn't remember. Yet Bilbo somehow impressed Gandalf enough that he remembered him decades later when Thorin's company needed a thief?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
TLOTR is definitely the closest thing to "Our Star Wars", as someone who was still in high school when The Lord of the Rings movies came out. Spider-Man (and X-Men maybe) was definitely influential, but it didn't hit anywhere the near the mark as being a franchise where all parts compliment each other, and it still didn't have the same zeitgest as TLOTR. Each superhero movie emulates and many surpass the quality of the X-Men and Spider-Man films. It didn't happen with TLOTR's imitators. TLOTR is still special. Harry Potter, The Matrix, and Batman aren't even close. (Funny nobody's mentioning Pirates. I thought the first movie was only okay and didn't bother with the sequels.)

And much like classic Star Wars, the movie largely survives the removal of my nostalgia goggles. While I did notice new issues with its narrative upon my recent rewatch (For example, Legolas had a lot less characterization than I remembered him having), it's still a remarkable movie and delivered on almost all of its high ambitions. There's still a lot of new details and "well done" moments I didn't pick up on before; and it's still one of those movies that could survive a few more viewings before I can definitely claim to have seen it more than enough times.

And lastly, the score. The Shire. Rohan. Gondor. The Fellowship. Isengard. Sauron. Instantly those words generate a memorable music cue in my mind not unlike words like "The Empire. The Force. The trench run. Cloud City." With all the other franchises mentioned here, I can only instantly recognize maybe the theme song.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 20, 2012

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This thread was generally positive to the 48 fps.

I tried watching it with the same open mind, but I ended up not liking it. There was never a moment when I felt "Thank goodness for the high framerate!" but there were plenty of moments I wished I was watching it in 24fps and not in 3d.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just got back from second viewing.

First time was midnight premiere, 48 fps 3d. Second time, it was 24 fps 2d. The movie was much better not in the high framerate; as someone who tried to keep an open mind with it. Fantasy in particular needs to feel cinematic, and I'm hoping they'll have a 24 fps viewing option open for the the next two movies without any plans to "phase" into just forcing people to watch the third movie in high framerate only.

But in general, the movie was less frustrating a second time around anyway. I'm more willing to accept this first part of the new trilogy in the same company as TLOTR movies, which truly were particularly special for me. I'm not saying it's just as good, because it's not, but it's a nice addition to the adventures we've seen before.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the 24 FPS version. Since they shot it 48 FPS, is the former just actually every-other-frame or does it simulate motion blur as if each frame is covering for two? Or am I totally misunderstanding how it all works and framing the question entirely wrong?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Seriously, check out the extended edition's behind the scenes if you haven't. They shouldn't even be called "extras". They're a huge part of the value of the BluRay/DVD.

If you like The Lord of the Rings, check it out. If you're indifferent with TLOTR but you're fascinated with filmmaking, check it out. I cannot stress this enough.

Actually, I haven't fully watched the more raw feature-length reality-style documentaries, so I guess I'm a hypocrite.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
They probably already planned ahead for The Hobbit's Behind-the-Scenes stuff.

My personal opinion of the movie aside, I wonder how candid it'll be with how An Unexpected Journey was less well-received compared to TLOTR so far. The BTS stuff for TLOTR wasn't critical of those movies, but they laid much of their thought process out there for people to judge for themselves.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 17, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

microwave casserole posted:

The Regular/Extended combo DVDs have a documentary on them that's much more "in the moment" and really gets across the strain of production over the extended edition extras. I've only seen the one for FOTR, but it was an interesting new angle on things. It's probably on some blu-ray collection or something by now.

It's on the combo DVD and the 15-disc extended BluRay (and the 5-disc each BluRays), if we're talking about North America at least.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah those additional discs aren't archived in either BluRay release, but they're really tangential and not relevant to the making of the film. It would have been nice, but no huge loss. I don't have the Gollum statue, but I have the other two somewhere.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I have no problem with it. I always thought it was weird that they wanted to release the third only a half year or so after the second and not in December, breaking their earlier pattern.

I was in high school when TLOTR movies came out. That was when the wait truly felt like a long time. Everything that's been released in the most recent years felt like a quick blur in terms of wait time.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 1, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Maxwell Lord posted:

As I recall, the LOTR films had a similar delay. Either Two Towers or Return of the King was going to come out in the summer.
The teaser trailer for Fellowship promoted Two Towers to be released "Christmas 2002" and TROTK "Christmas 2003" respectively. If they were delayed, it was before Fellowship was even out.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remembered back in the 2002 midnight screening people thought it was a cool move by Legolas and people in the audience cheered. I don't remember it looking bad at all for that time. And rewatching it a few months ago, it still didn't look bad for me at least.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm hoping there's no difference content-wise between the 2D and 3D versions of the BluRay, beyond the movie itself.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there is, like some 3d demonstration extras.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I too am curious why the EE BluRay without 3D is only three discs, but the 3D version is five discs.

Is the 3d version on two discs? Does 3d take up more space, even with BluRays' framerate restriction?

I just want to make sure that's the only difference between the two BluRay sets.

Edit: I looked at the back of both boxes on Amazon. 3d is split on two discs. Commentary is only for the 2d disc. Looks like I'll order the set without 3d now.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 28, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Hedrigall posted:

November 20 can't come soon enough :smith:

Anything about the Del Toro years in there?
We briefly see some BTS pre-production footage of him writing the script with Peter and making some decisions with early designs. He's not interviewed, sadly. They candidly said his decision to depart was understandable yet nonetheless a huge blow morale-wise. They didn't go too much into the details of the studio's politics which kept delaying production.

I'm about 2/3 done with the first disc of the appendices. So far, it's mostly about the filming itself. They actually did show Ian McKellen's mini-meltdown on the set from having to work in a green screen set without other actors.

Second disk looks like they'll directly mention the casting decisions more.

It looks like story choices and the screenplay aren't really covered. They also didn't have a chapter devoted to Tolkien, unlike the TLOTR appendices. Maybe (and hopefully) it'll be brought up in the next EE's BluRay, when story additions become more relevant to address because of new characters written into the story.

I'm unsure if they'll bring up the racial controversy with extras casting (which I thought they handled well by quickly firing the racist). It just seems like a natural thing to mention if they want to comprehensively cover the story of the making of the movie.

Elijah Wood and Christopher Lee are interviewed. It looks like they didn't bring back the "Fellowship's Journey" map feature from TLOTR dvds showing where each major scene happened.

In general, it's still just as good as the LOTR extras.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 8, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Macaluso posted:

Wait what is this about?
All the way back, they got into some hot water because the casting agent of extras told some lady who wasn't white she couldn't be a Hobbit. Apparently the casting agent made the decision on his or her own without consulting Jackson or others. People called them out for being racist, and the previous Hobbit thread (or maybe it was this thread) got derailed into a discussion of race in Tolkien's work.

Jackson fired the casting agent and I believe they invited the lady back to audition.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 8, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Hedrigall posted:

So disc 1 is a 4.5-hour "Cameras in Middle Earth"? :fap:
Every scene felt like they had a 20 minute behind the scenes feature.

Riddles in the Dark
Bag-End scene.
The three goblins.
Scene with the giant rocks.
Rivendell
Radagast
Filming in the UK

I haven't yet watched the goblin action scene stuff. It's a lot. I'm taking a break.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Just watched the extended edition. Especially if you like songs and more continuity stuff, you're in for a treat.

The Rivendell scenes in the original version already got complaints that it went on for a bit long, but I personally enjoyed the additions to it. Restored dialogue in the Gandalf/Saruman/Elrond/Galadriel meeting makes it even more obvious how the story fits in with TLOTR.

If you didn't like the theatrical movie, I doubt the new stuff will win you over. I had to watch the theatrical cut twice before I enjoyed it; and now the extended cut makes it even better.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Ultimately, I do think the choice of making it 3D did hurt the film. Besides how I'm in the "HFR looks like crap and hurts my brain" camp, the choice to film 3d prevented practical effects like forced perspective (a factor in Ian's mini-meltdown on set), but more importantly it probably led to the direction of over-saturating the image so things can "pop out" better in 3d.

The high contrast colorization in scenes like the troll fight, goblin city, and even Rivendell will probably make this film look more dated than TLOTR in 20 or 30 years from now.

I haven't finished the appendices, but I remember from the video diaries how the saturation was not only a post-production thing, but affected choices in the sets and costume design process. They planned in advance, and lot of things that looked really orange were actually that way on the set itself.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah and addition to still being able to do forced perspective shots in TLOTR, he also had a full life size scale set to work with in Bag End.

In The Hobbit, he only had a green screen set for Bag End. They had walls and tables, but they were solid green. He didn't even have a setting to work with in those scenes. Just green poo poo and little pictures of the actors' faces at where they're supposed to be. Not sure how much more of this he had to put up with in every other scene in all three movies.

His meltdown was known well before the release of these Appendices. I think it was reported by the press actually.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I haven't listened to the commentary yet, but story decisions weren't really covered in the Appendices. We don't get much background on the context the book was written, the evolution of the script from one film to two to three, etc. Also, not much for the editing process either. Not that I'm complaining. The nine hours we got was impressive and surprisingly mostly interesting.

I'm hoping we'll get more info on story choices and editing in the Appendices for the next two extended editions. They were a key part of what made TLOTR's Appendices interesting, like how they talked about the choice to shift Saruman's death to movie 3 before cutting it entirely for the theatrical.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
With HFR, I really think it's a matter of "different strokes".

I watched AUJ with HFR 3D, and the whole time I wished it'd look like a normal movie. I never got used to it. I rewatched it in 2D & low frame rate, and it improved my experience drastically. (Also, the movie in general improves on second viewing.)

I got midnight tickets for a 2D/LFR for DOS. That'll remain my plan for any movie from now on that gives me a choice.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Was Colbert in this movie? Or is it the third one?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's definitely a better movie than the first. The action scenes are much better. Compare the spiders scene to the trolls, or the entire third act in The Lonely Mountain to Goblin Town. The final moments did feel like they went a bit longer than they needed to be.

Biggest issues I had seemed to be the lack of any major emotional arc and "so what?" message. (Compared to Sam's speech at the end of Two Towers, or the message of fellowship in... The Fellowship, or even Bilbo growing a spine in the first Hobbit movie.) It definitely felt padded, and I'll be surprised by what didn't make it in once the EE comes out. Between Lake Town and Mirkwood, it's finally nice to see major new locations again, which didn't really happen in AUJ except for Goblin Town.

Big props to Martin Freeman; I never felt like he was standing in front of a green screen talking to nothing. He felt like he was in the same space as the intimidating Smaug. The script did do more to service each dwarf than the first movie; most created some impression. I know it's like it in the book, but I did think Gandalf disappeared for too much of the movie. It felt like they were less careful with reminding the audience what everyone is doing compared to The Two Towers.

In general, good movie.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 13, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really don't understand the whole "Bard looks like Legolas" thing.

Is it because I just saw Luke Evans in Fast & Furious 6? I still think there's a half dozen actors he resembles more than Orlando Bloom.

Wikipedia says he was briefly in the AUJ EE opening as Bard's ancestor.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 5, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This is the first time I ever heard of it. I didn't notice any tint changes when I watched the extended recently. It probably helps how over-saturated The Hobbit looks.

Google gave me this video. It's not as bad as the retroactive tinting of the first Matrix movie, but it's a little weird decision/mistake nonetheless.

Fortunately, I have both the theatrical and extended on both BluRay and DVD. I'm guessing the tint change wasn't there for the DVD versions.

Edit: So TFOTR mistake was fixed when they released the single five-disc EE on BluRay, it seems. Can someone confirm this? Also is the iTunes digital copy tinted?

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 14, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't mind the new title. It was still one of the possible movie titles floating around well before the first Hobbit movie was released.

Movie wise, "There and Back Again" just reminds me too much of the bookends of The Lord of the Rings movies (despite the phrase's origins). It feels like it summarizes an epilogue rather than the entirety of the third act of a story. I highly doubt the general tone of this final Hobbit movie will be warm and fuzzy anyway.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't think it's the CGI that's the main problem with the look of the movie; I think it's more to do with the switch to 3D, which ended up doing a few things.
- The choice of HFR. Obviously, some people didn't mind. Others like me thought it it hurt the look of the movie a lot. The world felt less textured, and things felt less mythical and fantasy-ish. I just wanted the movie to look like a "regular" movie.
- Loss of practical effects like perspective. Shooting 3D forced more digital composition.
- The choice of 3d affected the movie's color scheme. It wasn't just an issue with teal/orange (as sick as people are hearing complaints about it). And it wasn't just the post-production with the digital grading. If you actually look at the Behind the Scenes stuff, you'll see that it affected the choice of how costumes and props look on the set. More things were already colored unnaturally orange before the cameras started rolling; it was a deliberate choice so things can "pop" out better on camera. Sad that a movie that commits to 3d looks worse than many movies that half-rear end the 3d.

That's not to say CGI wasn't an issue. I really did wish the main evil orc dude was some actor in costume and makeup like Lurtz from TLOTR. Having a key antagonist animated made the threat he's supposed to impose "feel" more abstract when it shouldn't have been. Granted, he did look better than the live-action orc that they filmed but ended up discarding. Maybe how they were constantly unhappy with how the orc looked was another sympton of the film's short pre-production.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm really not a big fan of the hindsight complaints regarding TLOTR. If you didn't like TLOTR, then yeah... sure. But CGI was already a full force in big budget films back in '01-'03, they just seemed felt more creative and less mind-numbing back then. I thought the CGI, save for a few bad CGI human shots, were great. I thought the escalation from first to second to third movie was well measured, even with the use of CGI. It felt like the build-up to total war was earned, and I was invested in the battle with the huge Oliphaunts, trolls, orcs, and ghosts because it's quite clear what's at stake. This was before every single TLOTR or Harry Potter wannabe movie needed "a big battle".

And that Rohan cavalry charge... :unsmith:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I got impression that the some people (not just people here, but elsewhere also) are retroactively applying their complaints about The Hobbit movies to The Lord of the Rings movies with things they originally didn't have a problem with.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I watched DOS extended today with my sister and this thread inspired me to ruin every movie with the scream to her from now on. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still like the Pelennor Fields battle after Aragorn and the ghosts show up.

Legolas taking down the oliphant might look bad to some today, but the midnight crowd that it was nice capstone to the giant battle setpiece. (I remember the midnight crowd back in 2003 enjoying the spectacle; and everyone laughed at "That still only counts as one!") The ghosts clearing the rest of the battle was a denouement. The point was that the ghosts showed up after all. The battle was decided when it was revealed that Aragorn was successful in getting the Army of the Dead to join on his side.

The additions to the battle itself in the EE (eliminating the mystery of Aragorn's success) arguably didn't improve it. We didn't need to see Eowyn in danger from Gothmog after her triumph over the witch king. Hopefully everyone who watched the EE TROTK saw the theatrical first.

• Locked thread