Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know, with the bigger budget, he can probably beat his own world record of "most blood pumped during a single scene."

It is, however, wholly possible that the laws of fluid mechanics prevents any more blood being pumped per unit time and that he thus already reached Peak Gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Regarding the Galadriel thing, the worst part about is that they pretty much got it right earlier in the movie with the Bilbo/Gandalf scene in Bag End where Gandalf gets all pissed. I know they're not exactly the same but the ideas are very similar.
Absolutely. Seeing the Gandalf scene in the theater the first time? Phenomenal. It gives you this sense of power and terrible majesty that the Galadriel and the dueling-wizards-in-the-tower scenes just failed to capture. (Though Gandalf's charge at Helm's Deep worked fairly well, I think.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

"An Uruk-hai has one weakness. Its outer armour is solid iron but for a small culvert at its groin which is little more than a drain."

Any doubts I had about following this thread religiously have been rectified by this one glorious, albeit nauseating, post.

I'm incredibly excited about this movie, which leaves me a bit worried. I was cautiously optimistic about LotR and was pleasantly surprised other than the usual "what exactly were they thinking?" moments. Now I'm downright giddy and I'm not sure The Hobbit can deliver, and I'm leery about the decision to make it a trilogy.

Still, unless it's truly awful I'm going to have to see it at least a few times to compare 24 fps versus 48 fps and to see how the 3D works out. Admission time: I have not seen any 3D theater releases since Captain EO in, what, 1988 or something like that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, it's only forty days until this is in theaters. So this is what it felt like for Jesus in the wilderness.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm loving this soundtrack. Many thanks for the link.

... and as I was typing that the audio hosed up and appeared to be jumping between where I was and starting over, several times per second. And there's no way to pick up where I was. drat it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gimmedaroot posted:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10851611

Apparently some fans who saw the movie are complaining that the HFR made them sick. Nauseous, dizzy, and even some migraines.

I really can't wait to see this now. Seriously.
Having just rewatched the extended LoTR over the last weekend, there are some shots that I'm certain would give me at least a little vertigo. I am really, really excited to see The Hobbit in 3D, though I think I'll see it in 2D first as I seriously have no idea how well I'll be able to accommodate to the 3D. (The last 3D film I saw in a theater was, ummm ... Captain EO a few years after it opened.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Saw it yesterday in 2D and loved it. The CGI does look poor in some places (the rabbit sled chase, for example) but otherwise it was visually incredible. There are some pacing issues for sure, but at no point was I bored or overwhelmed. There's been lots of discussion about their adding a new villain already, and I'm going to defer judgement until I see how it ties into the plot over the next movie or two.

I'm sure there were things other than the spotty CGI that I didn't care for, but they pale in comparison to the movie's virtues. Martin Freeman knocked this out of the park, and was an inspired and perfect casting choice. Ian McKellen continues to be able to act with his eyes more than most can achieve with their entire bodies and a good post-production team. Richard Armitage also nailed his role, and the dwarves overall were well-characterized enough to make you care about them instead of them being just an anonymous crew. Riddles in the dark walked a tight line between amusing and menacing, and was probably my favorite scene in a movie filled with fantastic imagery. Overall, it was positively gorgeous, and some odd lighting and scenery quirks I saw I believe are a side effect of HFR 3D being the "correct" way to see the film -- we'll just have to see after I catch an HFR viewing, which I most certainly will. (Besides, I want to see how it compared visually to Life of Pi, which everyone should go out and see right this minute if they haven't yet.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Had this been two movies I think it would have been needlessly rushed. Likewise, had they done three movies without pulling from the appendices, it could possibly have dragged. I'm fairly happy with what I saw.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
For some reason the birdshit didn't bother me, but the actor's seemingly-constant eye-crossing did.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

Reading LOTR directly after the Hobbit doesn't feel like a smooth continuation or like it's more of the same. It's strange and unfortunate they're trying to do this with the movies, because it just doesn't work.

It's a good thing we have the input of someone who's seen the entire Hobbit trilogy and can weigh in to how well it flows into The Lord of the Rings!

Seriously, even Tolkien was disappointed that he didn't have success re-writing The Hobbit to fit the tone of the later trilogy. So far I think Peter Jackson has found a comfortable middle ground -- The Hobbit feels a little more whimsical without making it feel like it doesn't fit into the Middle Earth we've already seen. I'll withhold final judgement until all three movies are out.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I finally saw the 3D HFR last night, having seen the 2D version a few weeks ago. The "fast-forward" sensation was very brief, lasting only until Bilbo picked up his book and began writing. What was stunning was how much better all of the CGI looked ... and how much worse everything else did. With live actors front and center I felt as though I were watching a documentary, or perhaps the world's most extravagant play. Even stranger, I felt as though I were constantly being reminded of the camera shooting the scene. During pans you can now see all of the unsteadiness in what was supposed to be a smooth motion, and for some reason it really took me out of the scenes. It's almost like a new kind of uncanny valley: the non-CGI visuals were as though I were literally watching the scene as it happened, which made it look nothing like a movie at all. I was drawn out of the movie by virtue of its immersion, somehow, if that's possible.

Either that, or they just haven't figured out how to light 48 FPS shots yet. It seemed to me that the shots with harsher lighting looked "like a movie." Or maybe it really just is the frame rate: looking at screenshots today of the film, I swear they just look different somehow than what I was seeing on the screen.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

s0meb0dy0 posted:

You hit it on the head with lighting. I'm completely convinced at this point that the "soap opera" feeling is NOT due to HFR, but because of overall softness due to the 3d, and over-lit scenes. Everyone is going into these movies knowing "HFR! HFR!" so they attribute the unnatural feeling to, you guessed it, HFR. I agree that the scenes with more LOTR cinematography like the Wargs/tree scene didn't suffer the same issue.
I didn't think the 3D looked soft at all, though -- everything was astoundingly crisp. The more I think back to it, the more I'm convinced that the lighting worked well for 24 FPS but ended up being too uniform and stage-y for 48 FPS. Why that would happen, I have no idea. After all, if PJ and crew say that 48 FPS is The One True Way to watch this film, you'd think that when they reviewed the shots they would have had the same reaction we all did.

While I'm on the topic: I have an older Panasonic plasma screen that plays BluRay at 48 FPS. This design is to limit judder from 2:3 pulldown, but pre-dates the 120 FPS televisions and wasn't terribly popular because some visible flicker remains and bothered people. Is the lack of soap opera effect because my television does not interpolate frames from a 24 FPS source, but instead just plays them twice? And why do people seem to be alright with 24 Hz flicker in the theater but were horrified by my model's 48 Hz flicker?

Clearly what I need to do is buy a new television, buy The Hobbit when it comes out on BluRay, and turn on frame interpolation and see if it completely recreates the weirdness I saw in the movie theater. Alas, this sacrifice will be necessary, for science. I mean, the 84" 4k LG is only supposed to be about twenty grand ...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

El Grillo posted:

I take it no-one from the production has commented on this change??

They've covered it a ton of times. It's the 3D. You can't do the forced perspective shots because the effect ends up less "he is small" and more "he is far away / the set is big."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

I wasn't excited about HFR at all but having seen the movie at 48fps in 3D and 24fps in 2D, I have to saw I far preferred the former.
It remained an odd sensation for me the whole way through -- almost as though I were watching a stupendously high-production-cost play on stage -- but if nothing else the CGI looked an order of magnitude better in HFR. Azog looked oddly smooth and flat in 3D but really looked good in HFR. the Radagast chase scene remained the low point of the CGI, but was still improved from the 2D version. I'll definitely see the sequels in HFR, though I might once again see then in 2D first in case the visual oddity of the HFR distracts from the story.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

He really should have the ring on one of those fingers.

... but then how would we see him?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Saw it last night (3D HFR). I'm a bit torn. Yes, the story definitely could be cut down, but other than the love interest nonsense and Legolas I'm not sure I'd WANT them to. Plain and simple, what we'd be removing is largely all of the bits where Gandalf is off on his own. Not only would you end up wondering why in the hell the wizard keeps popping off for no known reason, but, well, Ian is getting old and I don't think we'd ever see this part of the story make it to the big screen. So if you just take out the superfluous elf bits, you probably end up with the second movie well-paced, much tighter ... but also significantly shorter than the first and third, which also feels odd.

Other than that, it looked fantastic. I haven't seen the non-HFR this time around and don't plan to. The first time around the CGI looked an order of magnitude better in HFR than 2D/NFR but the soap opera effect was glaring; this time the CGI continued to look great, but the soap opera effect was somewhat diminished, being worst in the opening bar scene and in Bard's home for some reason. Indoor lighting just doesn't seem to work as well with it, for some reason. Smaug was spot on, and I'm excited for the third movie.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Toady posted:

That's an odd response to criticism of poor CG, especially for a film series that's famous for its CG Gollum. I wouldn't care at all that Azog was a CG character if he didn't look strange and artificial. This isn't about an aversion to technology.

Out of curiosity, did you see the normal or the HFR version? I didn't see the former this time around, but for AUJ the CGI was staggeringly improved in the HFR compared to the regular projection. But for the loss of nuance in facial expression in the better actors, part of me wonders if an all-CGI HFR version of the tale wouldn't be an improvement, the difference was so glaring. With the proper art direction it would be incredible. (And if done poorly it would just be creepy, like Beowulf.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Niche use for Google Glass.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

henpod posted:

I liked the barrel scene. In 60 fps cinema it was quite exciting.
They must have packed some sense of consequence or possibility of actual threat to the heroes in those extra 12 FPS you saw that the rest of us didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I don't get why they had to go down the tennis ball route instead of getting actual people to act as stand ins.
It's probably easier and cheaper than getting a bunch of midgets in green stocking costumes to stand around. I do like how well they did with the multiple sets (halfling- versus human-sized) in the first trilogy, but that would totally gently caress with the 3D filming.

• Locked thread