Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Is 48 fps going to look all hosed up when I buy the Blu-ray and play it on my TV? Can my PS3 accurately send the 48 fps signal and can my TV, which I believe flickers at 60hz, display it properly? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I sometimes don't remember exactly how these things work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Trump posted:

It's going to look like any other movie you have on blu-ray.

...except that it's 48fps instead of 24? My understanding is that there's already motion judder with 24fps sources on displays that don't natively flicker at a multiple of 24hz, so I was wondering if anybody knows whether that effect will be more or less pronounced with a 48fps source. Apologies if that was not clear initially.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

CantDecideOnAName posted:

:( I've been looking forward to seeing this ever since I watched the trailer last December, and now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't. I remember when the original trilogy came out, and I saw Two Towers in theater but was too young to really appreciate it and I want to remedy that this time around. Now I'm worried that it'll be one of those super hyped movies that ends up just being terrible--not even good terrible but one of those really bad terrible movies that are bad because there was so much potential to be great.

Now, you're all goons, and worse, you're cinema goons, so not only do you all have the authority to bitch about stuff like this but it's almost your duty to do so, but damned if y'all aren't making me not want to see it anymore.

This is ridiculous, it's going to be shown at 24fps in far more theaters than will be showing it at 48fps. Just don't see it in 48 if you're so worried.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

If 48fps is the intended viewing mode, why is it so rare (relatively)? I would have to drive 2 hours to see it in IMAX/3D/48fps even though I'm in a major-ish city with a fully featured state of the art IMAX theatre. Why bother going to the trouble of filming this high profile trilogy in this new format if the distribution effectively makes it just a 'limited edition' version of the film? It's never going to catch on this way and I imagine that only cinephiles are going to know or care about 48fps.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I was under the impression most theaters were already equipped for it, as everything is digital now. Does it require a special digital projector or something?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Well that explains it I guess. I just don't see this format taking off anytime soon without more widespread exposure, and it's unfortunate that most people won't see these films the way they were intended to be seen.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

I didn't think people needed a detailed checklist of why bad movies are bad but if you cant figure it out on you're own:

boring reused situations of 'wooooah that was crazy!' where they cartoonishly rumble and tumble in barrels in an escape over water
boring reused situations of 'wooooah that was crazy!' where they cartoonishly rumble and tumble in barrels in an escape in a mountain
boring reused story of man becoming king or some stupid poo poo it's the same exact movie we've already seen with "omg that dog is riding a rabbit" "that goat has a sword"
I mean jesus does that really interest you? don't you get tired of mediocre acting and cg? like were you really turned on by bilbo running around in a pile of gold coins. You watched that and said "chyeah ill take s'more of that poo poo gently caress yeah"? even if that is your bag that's cool i guess but it's weirder that you don't see why people dislike it

Really insightful stuff, do you do this for a living?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Watching the BTS docs on the blu rays (yeah I enjoyed the films enough to buy them) it seems they had a lot of trouble in the design department. For example, in addition to all the Azog problems, they couldn't decide on the design for Smaug until the eleventh hour. Not to mention the way they painted themselves into a corner with the DoS climax. There just wasn't a lot of clarity of vision for these films which resulted in last minute decisions, which resulted in a rushed process, which resulted in a less cohesive and fully formed product. I still like them but boy they could have been a lot better.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

later than that, I'm pretty sure that in the flashback at the beginning of AUJ he's a classic dragon with four legs and separate wings, in DOS he's a wyvern with leg-membrane wings

Yeah that's true, I guess I meant at the eleventh hour for his full appearance in DoS

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Cutting between Riddles in the Dark and the sillybuggers action scene only served to interrupt the low key stuff with idiocy.

They didn't, the Riddles scene was unbroken. They didn't cut away until Bilbo ran off with the ring.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Primarily an over reliance on CGI as a panacea, with the knock-on effects of harming the actor's performances.

Just curious, which performances do you think suffered from the method of production? And how can you tell the cause?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think the compressed production schedule and action-heavy focus means that most of the dwarves don't even really have a character, so those actors (who're pretty much all ace in other stuff) are relegated to walking scenery. McKellan's Gandalf is also crippled by either being turned into an exposition machine or worse, being stuck in a dead end side story that's the cinematic equivalent of a DLC videogame mission.

Martin Freeman is good though, but he's given increasingly little to do.

So your issues are with the script then, not the performances.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

You seriously think script and performance are the same thing? By the way your original comment stated that cgi environments hobbled the performances, which has nothing to do with the script. I'm just trying to figure out what you meant but it sounds like you don't really even know.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Ian McKellan,
Stephen Fry,
Nearly all of the dwarves save James Nesbitt and Ken Stott, maybe Richard Armitage is good off and on.
Luke Evans,
Orlando Bloom
Evangeline Lilly.

Yeah I strongly disagree. Say all you want about overuse of cgi, I'm with you there, but the performances were uniformly solid (aside from maybe Bloom, but he just always sucks). I still think you're confusing performance with script and maybe editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I liked the Hobbit movies but then again the hairs on my neck don't raise up and cause me to fly into a diatribe when something I enjoyed as a kid is done differently than I imagined it.

• Locked thread