Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I thought it was pronounced the same as Björn: "Bee-YORn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Oasx posted:

There is a new Hobbit production video, not sure if there is a non-facebook version yet though : http://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ

This is the best one yet, those sets are beautiful. Dale and Beorn's house are going to be amazing on the big screen.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Actually I think the narrative is improved by enabling the death of Smaug to exist as the climax of a film.

I was never convinced that the Smaug arc could be done justice if the death had to occur halfway though the final film, after only meeting him at the start.

Now we can get a whole film about a dragon...and some other stuff.

This is why I think three films will work. I always hated that Smaug isn't the climax of the Hobbit story, and allowing him to be the climax of one of the films is perfect. It also means the second Hobbit flick will be the Empire Strikes Back of the Hobbit trilogy: badass villainy, and ends on a downer, as now the five armies are coming together.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Walden Media lost the Narnia film rights, but there's some moratorium until 2018, so no studio could make another Narnia movie until then if they even wanted to. There's no more Narnia movies coming, I don't know why anyone would think there is.

Is there some official announcement about a third Hobbit film? People have looked at me like I'm crazy when I said "the first of three is out this December; you (likely) won't see Smaug in it." They're convinced it's just one, which is certainly wrong, but I couldn't find anywhere but posts in here confirming the addition of a third.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

He's a mohawk away from being a Slayer!

Didn't Billy Connolly describe his character as exactly this, except riding a Battle Boar?

Billy Connolly posted:

“But let me say, this guy will terrify the life out of you. I have a Mohawk and tattoos on my head. You’ve got to see it.” "... You don’t feel like a little guy because you are doing big things like killing people and stuff. And you are wearing all that armour and make-up and everything. It was great fun. I arrive riding a wild pig."

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 13, 2012

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
As long as CG bendy-Legolas is cut or fixed...

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I honestly liked this (2D/24fps) better than Two Towers and Return of the King. I love the LotR movies, regular and EE, I've read all the books, the Hobbit was one of my favorites growing up, and this was just perfect for me. I was enraptured the entire time. I loved the songs, I loved that it got a little silly between all the serious-epicness. There are so many great performances between the company, the council, and new-and-improved Gollum. After it ended and I got up and stretched, I really wished I could plot right back down and start Desolation of Smaug.

My only complaints were very minor: Azog wasn't interesting or threatening, because I know he's not the main threat, either in The Hobbit or in the grand scheme of things. He's just an orc. I also wanted more of the songs: the lyrics were a little hard to hear when the dwarves and goblins sang, and I just plain wanted more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

T-Bone posted:

The film is a bad film by any measure, poorly written, poorly shot, and often poorly acted. That its source material is so frequently excellent merely adds to the disappointment.

You're objectively nuts.

• Locked thread