Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I know it probably counts more as a special but their Vietnam episode is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I love Top Gear and I love Stewart Lee.

Although I find Stewart Lee having more grating irritating times with me than Clarkson.

Also, if you can't laugh about why someone hates the show you love, or why linking video of such in a thread dedicated to said show is funny, then you don't have a good sense of humor.

My favorite and first episode I ever got to watch and made me fall in love was the first amphibious car challenge.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

explosivo posted:

What's everybody's favorite, non-special episode of TG? I forget the episode but I love the one where they try to find the best driving road.. in the world.

I love at the end how pissed off May is because his Aston Martin sucks so much to ride in.

Cheap British Leyland car challenge. The stuff they put those cars through was absolutely hilarious.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

djdanno13 posted:

My favorite and first episode I ever got to watch and made me fall in love was the first amphibious car challenge.

For me it's between this and the £10k old supercars challenge. To me it almost feels like they peaked a bit with those and have been trying to get back to that in the last few series which has sometimes felt a little forced. The supercars one I've watched so many times now and it still makes me laugh - Clarkson's engine exploding all over James' Lambo or Hammond looking nervous in a bright yellow Ferrari stuck in traffic with no fuel.

Also I love Stewart Lee (who seems pretty popular these days) and think Clarkson can be a bit of a twat sometimes, but that whole strikers thing was so hilariously blown out of proportion, when in context of the interview he even says something like "to be fair and balanced for the BBC I should give an alternate view" and then said they should all be shot.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I wish people would stop trying to psychoanalyze Clarkson or figure out Stuart Lee or whatever his name is and either just:

a) Shut up and watch the show and enjoy it, or
b) Shut up and not watch the show, and don't post in threads saying how horrible Clarkson is or how much of his opinion is an "act."

It's a loving TV show. Everyone needs to get over themselves.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
I know what you're saying and I get tired of the circular arguments too (and no ones even mentioned scripting yet!) but if you don't want to read about

a) People saying they like Top Gear and why
b) People saying they don't like Top Gear and why

then it might be best to just ignore this thread as I don't think anything else is gonna come out of it :)

Edit: apart from funny gifs

To be fair, I might take my own advice on this.

Manny fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 21, 2011

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ZippySLC posted:

I wish people would stop trying to psychoanalyze Clarkson or figure out Stuart Lee or whatever his name is and either just:

a) Shut up and watch the show and enjoy it, or
b) Shut up and not watch the show, and don't post in threads saying how horrible Clarkson is or how much of his opinion is an "act."

It's a loving TV show. Everyone needs to get over themselves.

I wish people would stop telling people not to post in a discussion forum :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

I wish people would stop telling people not to post in a discussion forum :colbert:

I thought it was a comedy forum.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

leica posted:

Normally I would agree with you and Manny, but how many times has this been beaten to death? It's not like this is the first thread with people debating the merits of Top Gear. It's a thread about Series 18 and what's coming up - not to rehash "racist" comments that Clarkson made or whatever people's reaction to those are.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was being sarcastic, but I yeah I can agree with you because it has been beaten to death here before.

Maybe we should just stick to new season discussion instead of arguing whether or not Clarkson is serious or just putting on an act, which would go on for page after page if sigtrap let it.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
It's car-themed entertainment - if you don't like it/him/whatever, go watch something else...

Anyway, Clarkson evolved from this...

reddeathdrinker fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 21, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How about we split the difference and agree to only argue about whatever offensive thing he says this series? Everything else has been beaten to death by now.

You know it'll happen, so those who want to complain can just shut up until probably half way through the India special and let the rest of us just post silly GIFs and speculation about challenges.

On that note, since we have the India special and the race listed in the OP, does anyone think we'll get anything like a cheap car challenge this series?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Saga posted:

Lazy, feckless teachers of the Poors, how I hate you and wish you would die! (PS please send millions of pounds of your licence fee money to the usual bank account in the Cayman Islands).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/19/jeremy-clarkson-investigated-ofcom

(e: It's OK folks, I'm just "joking", except about the money of course.)

Ok no I'm sorry but if you live in such a PC, complaint driven culture that Clarkson's comments are the third most complained about show this year** then your whole country need to take a step back and question whether or not you're taking things too far.

I mean Jesus loving Christ, that's not a stat that you should be proud of. Hell, it's not even a stat that should exist.

from the linked article posted:

The media regulator has received 763 complaints about Clarkson's appearance on the show, making it the third most-complained about TV show this year, prompting an investigation.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

reddeathdrinker posted:

It's car-themed entertainment - if you don't like it/him/whatever, go watch something else...

Anyway, Clarkson evolved from this...

Holy shite that's the youngest Clarkson I've ever seen. I especially like how you timed it when we meet a young inspired Marina owner. I wonder if this Clarkson was one of the first of the breed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg

wolrah posted:

post silly GIFs and speculation about challenges.

I wonder if the boys are brave enough to attempt a ghost pepper eating challenge.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 21, 2011

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Goddamn it, EVERY time Top Gear gets mentioned...

This is a discussion thread for series 18. Nobody gives a drat if you don't like the show. These 'debates' have no value and never go anywhere. This stuff is completely subjective, anyway. Whinging about Top Gear every time it's mentioned is just tiresome, and in the context of this thread it's no different than waltzing into the Mustang thread to treat everyone to your big, awesome, veiny opinion about how "Mustangs suck!"

Talk about the show or, if you don't like it, don't read the thread. It's pretty straightforward.

VCR 2.0
Oct 5, 2007

wolrah posted:

On that note, since we have the India special and the race listed in the OP, does anyone think we'll get anything like a cheap car challenge this series?

I sure hope so, because these have always been my favorite segments. I'd love to see them do a cheap pickup-truck challenge, however I'm not too sure what the truck market is in the UK, it can't be very big though.

There's always TGUS for my truck fix though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VCR 2.0 posted:

I sure hope so, because these have always been my favorite segments. I'd love to see them do a cheap pickup-truck challenge, however I'm not too sure what the truck market is in the UK, it can't be very big though.

There's always TGUS for my truck fix though.

I suspect that'd end up like the Cheap Convertible Challenge from series 16 where they all bought E30s, except this time it would be Hiluxes.

I don't know if the market in the UK could support this, but I'd like to see a cheap muscle car challenge. V8, 2+2, RWD, some low budget, that's it. The side challenges could involve exhaust noise, ability to turn the rear tires in to smoke, etc. Obviously that would be easy in the US, but over there I don't know if there are enough vehicles that would fit the bill.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm hoping Clarkson gets his hands on the Juke R, it would be interesting to hear what he thinks about it.....Unless Nissan is too scared he'll say it's better than the GTR :v:

Also they gotta have at least one cheap car challenge this season I hope.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Thanks for the reminder to go rewatch the 10k supercar challenge :D

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Previews of the India special:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juFm6tLaVsg&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JBBKF2M7EUY

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

wolrah posted:

the Cheap Convertible Challenge from series 16 where they all bought E30s
Cliché, I know, but I always wondered why they didn't get Miatas. They can't be more expensive than a BMW, can they?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Do the English have some sort of institutional hatred of Mexico? Every single British panel show I watch has at some point had a digression where everyone just gets really racist toward Mexicans.

well they are dirty

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

wolrah posted:

I suspect that'd end up like the Cheap Convertible Challenge from series 16 where they all bought E30s, except this time it would be Hiluxes.

May would 'hilariously' turn up in a Mitzi L200. Otherwise; yeah TGUK have covered UK pickups with 'hilux is indestructible' over the course of a couple of seasons.

wolrah posted:

I don't know if the market in the UK could support this, but I'd like to see a cheap muscle car challenge. V8, 2+2, RWD, some low budget, that's it. The side challenges could involve exhaust noise, ability to turn the rear tires in to smoke, etc. Obviously that would be easy in the US, but over there I don't know if there are enough vehicles that would fit the bill.

Depends on the definition of 'cheap' really. Without being imports of US cars, and hence overly expensive for what it is, you're talking BMW 840i, Merc CL420, Jag XK?
Not really 'muscle cars'...because we don't do those in europe, we do hot hatches instead.

Anyway; TGUK really did as much as they will on either of these concepts; the US special with the cow on the roof.

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

otaku69 posted:

well they are dirty

Given that I've seen people banned for "ironic" racism when calling out actual racism, I hope the same thing happens here. gently caress you.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

mcsquared posted:

Given that I've seen people banned for "ironic" racism when calling out actual racism, I hope the same thing happens here. gently caress you.

Tell me who do you think I meant, when I said "they are dirty" And also gently caress you and the 12 year old child you rode in on you human being.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

otaku69 posted:

Tell me who do you think I meant, when I said "they are dirty" And also gently caress you and the 12 year old child you rode in on you human being.

:munch:

Nothing bad can happen here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

otaku69 posted:

Cool, internet racist tough guy itt.

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

otaku69 posted:

Son, thanks for being you.
                              /

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

otaku69 posted:

gently caress off

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wolrah posted:

Capri - how many cylinders did you say?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cakefool posted:

Capri - how many cylinders did you say?

I thought you might be on to something, but as it turns out the Fox body Capri I'm thinking of was the only one sold in the US that wasn't comparable to a foreign version. Maybe I'm just too stuck in rednecky American ways, but I can't call it a muscle car unless there's a cross plane V8 in the front turning the tires in the back.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 23, 2011

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
In the spirit of giffing.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Good to hear they're cooking up a fresh batch of Top Gear, I'd better get some clean needles...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Look, I love Top Gear to death but I'm not gonna pretend that Jeremy Clarkson's publicly-made opinions on most things that lie beyond the realm of "the M3 is the best car in the world but it's driven by twats" aren't terrible, reprehensible, and stupid.
Agreed. Only a complete looney would consider the M3 the world's best car.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Collateral Damage posted:

Agreed. Only a complete looney would consider the M3 the world's best car.

Obvious troll, but since you bring it up, it isn't just Clarkson -

Automotive press posted:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/112_0909_2009_bmw_m3_arrival/
"World's single greatest car? Seriously? Yes -- the new BMW M3 is unquestionably a contender."
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2008-bmw-m3-long-term-road-test
"Based on our experience, the current M3 is the world’s all-around best car for the money"

The list of awards and accolades goes on, with it being put ahead of cars like the RS5, CTS-V and C63.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wolrah posted:

I thought you might be on to something,

The only people who think the UK capri is a musclecar are deluded morons, or Brooklands special drivers. There are only a handful of the latter, thousands of the former.

In short, the Capri would be the comedy 'wrong' entry.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Please test the Venom Gt. I just want to see it in action.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

OptimusMatrix posted:

Please test the Venom Gt. I just want to see it in action.

No, the less attention we give to John Hennessey the better. As long as he's still getting the spotlight, the less likely he is to do the right thing and just go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
wiki spoilers:

Italian roadtrip with the McLaren MP4-12C, Lambo Aventador and Noble M600

According to Clarkson they're in a lot of different countries this year, and Hammond says they've filmed quite a bit in the good old US of A.

Merry Christmas everyone!
I'm really looking forward to the special!